Match 50: England vs Denmark - 8pm (bst) ITV1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY !!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Pukey said:

It amazes me how often he doesn't seem to know what's going on. Like one point last night going "ooh have they given offside? Ooh no it's a corner!" 

It feels like watching it with an annoying guy at work who clearly doesn't care about football but is trying to sound like he knows everything. 

Earlier in the tournament he blatantly didn't know what the rule was if the ball hits the referee.

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, SpillBlood said:

Everytime I saw Peter Schmeichel in the lead up to the game I got this poppin' in my head and I've not seen anyone else mention it, it's somewhere in this thread already right?

I haven't seen this in years. 

Matterface so bad. When the penalty went in he was basically just screaming “YES! YES!” like a demented fan who had snuck into the commentary box without being caught.

These are the huge moments in our shared cultural history and he’s actually ruining them for us all. Honestly feel for today’s kids who will only have Matterface and Mowbray to look back on and feel nostalgic about in 20 years. Where we had giants like Motson and Davies and Moore and Helm.

2 minutes ago, Bootador said:

I'm expecting a Three Lions 2021, complete with lyrics referencing this very thread.

Surprised we do not already have the thread made so we can have 3 days to discuss and dissect the final  

41 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Matterface so bad. When the penalty went in he was basically just screaming “YES! YES!” like a demented fan who had snuck into the commentary box without being caught.

These are the huge moments in our shared cultural history and he’s actually ruining them for us all. Honestly feel for today’s kids who will only have Matterface and Mowbray to look back on and feel nostalgic about in 20 years. Where we had giants like Motson and Davies and Moore and Helm.

Brian Moore wasnt much of a commentator but his voice was unique and fitting history. Motsons does too but he is a better commentator. Matterface is really bad

...But I still see that ball on pitch
And the bitters are pissed
Raheem dancing through the defence 
And definitely not diving

Three Lions on a shirt
Rob1981 still dreaming
Gunmans tears of hurt
Never gonna stop us beaming...

Sky with that incredible investigative journalism that probably took about 5 minutes to think up :thup:

then again it's Kaveh so it's not really a surprise, getting paid for that opinion

2 minutes ago, TM said:

Sky with that incredible investigative journalism that probably took about 5 minutes to think up :thup:

then again it's Kaveh so it's not really a surprise, getting paid for that opinion

I genuinely despise that absolute creep.

5 hours ago, samuelawachie said:

The other matches that I've watched of them, the first one (of which I will speak no more), and the last one, Poulsen didn't affect the game at all when he came on.

What does he see in him? He's not really good at using his physical attributes to hold up the ball,  nor does he possess good enough first touch. The ball kept bouncing off him in all his appearances. I think that single decision might have cost them the game sadly.

Yeah Poulsen isn' very good at all. Doesn't use his size well, he's supposed to be a target man but yeah, not very good at it and he was awful in every game he played this tournament. Taking off Dolberg for him when they did was a very poor decision. I don't think they'd have won the game though if Dolberg had stayed on as the rest of the team were collectively knackered after an hour. 

3 hours ago, Mr Adam said:

lads does anybody know if his terms will be the same? or will he want more for the final?

I think we should add on another '0' just to be on the safe side.

42 minutes ago, TM said:

Eurgh, another Sky Sports knobshite. 

Now some bellend has started a petition on change.org about wanting the game being replayed, nearly 14000 has already signed :rolleyes: 

As a Dane, I'm so embarassed. Such things are for sore Liverpool fans, and not us ffs :D 

1 minute ago, Orzelek said:

Now some bellend has started a petition on change.org about wanting the game being replayed, nearly 14000 has already signed :rolleyes: 

As a Dane, I'm so embarassed. Such things are for sore Liverpool fans, and not us ffs :D 

Its probably 14,000 Welsh and Scottish people tbf.

14 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

Last I heard, there over 200,000  signatures for the France - Switzerland game to be replayed, because Sommer didn't stay on the goal line for Mbappe's penalty. :lol:

37 minutes ago, Marius_R said:

Last I heard, there over 200,000  signatures for the France - Switzerland game to be replayed, because Sommer didn't stay on the goal line for Mbappe's penalty. :lol:

Mbappe would have still missed it anyway

At the risk of being one of the many in this thread to over-exaggerate at some point… surely Matterface will never get a commentating gig for an important match again - he was properly appalling. The Beeb must secretly love it when ITV get an England game because of how bad ITV are at broadcasting them.

Also, wasn’t it all just wonderful. Being outwardly emotional is very rare for me, but I shed a tear or two watching Southgate at the end. With the expansion of major tournaments I was beginning to struggle to envisage England in a final in my lifetime.

The penalty was a bit 50/50 for me - sometimes you get them, sometimes you don’t. I don’t think I would have begrudged the referee not giving it. But these things have a way of evening out over time - England have certainly been on the other side more than their share over the years.

1 hour ago, Marius_R said:

I think the big hoo-ha should have been why the ref wasn't allowing Lloris to move on the line

Just catching up on the thread and Matterface chat... 

Two moments for me. First when Sterling had a great chance and hit it straight into Schmeical's stomach. Matterface: "HOW ON *EARTH* HAS HE SAVED THAT?!?!" in a tone as if it was Banks v Pele.  He couldn't have not saved it.  

And then the most cringe worthy commentary of the euros so far, the spiel at the end (paraphrasing): "After the year you've had, you deserve this. Kids, you don't need to go to bed, folks, tell your boss you won't be in tomorrow.." and a load of similar guff I don't care to remember. You knew he felt he was making a commentary speech for the ages, in his mind speaking to and for all of England. Inane and pure ego masturbation. 

2 hours ago, Orzelek said:

You are Danish?? I thought you were german...? :eek:

Love you nevertheless, mate :)

Edited by Carambau

5 minutes ago, martinji said:

And then the most cringe worthy commentary of the euros so far, the spiel at the end (paraphrasing): "After the year you've had, you deserve this. Kids, you don't need to go to bed, folks, tell your boss you won't be in tomorrow.." and a load of similar guff I don't care to remember. You knew he felt he was making a commentary speech for the ages, in his mind speaking to and for all of England. Inane and pure ego masturbation. 

Yeah wtf was that about, and then he even backtracked on it

1 minute ago, martinji said:

Just catching up on the thread and Matterface chat... 

Two moments for me. First when Sterling had a great chance and hit it straight into Schmeical's stomach. Matterface: "HOW ON *EARTH* HAS HE SAVED THAT?!?!" in a tone as if it was Banks v Pele.  He couldn't have not saved it.  

The main issue is it sounds so incredibly forced and so unnatural. You can tell he had that "speech" planned for if we won. And if he didn't, ****ing hell how can you sound so forced when trying to display genuine reaction! 

The point with the save just goes back to again how he doesn't seem to properly understand football, and again he overstates things. 

I know we all keep harping on about him but my word he really is just a slog to listen to. Funnily enough I didn't really have any issue with him when he was their B/C commentator but now he's their top guy it really does feel like he's trying to force some kind of legendary commentary moment and failing spectacularly at it. 

I find it embarassing that an FM player doesn't know Doyle is Irish (no offence Gunman :D) , especially since he was pretty good in FM2007 and then 2008 aswell. Him, Donovan and Altidore were my bogey players, hate them all. :lol:

1 hour ago, Analog said:

Ok, just now I am watching the highlights for the first time since the match.  They literally skip over the entire penalty incident that decided the outcome of the match.  Why?  These are fairly extended highlights as well.  What is the point of censoring that?  Also, if the point of this video is to show the main highlights of the events of this match, then why don't they show the original incident, then the VAR check and confirmation, along with slow-mo replays and whatnot?  Are they afraid of criticism?  Does someone "own" that footage somehow via some VAR agreement?  I'm not arguing against the decision, but this is not the first time I have seen this now where VAR incidents are left out of the highlights. 

Video unavailable in the UK, but why you'd jump to the conclusion that there must be a conspiracy is baffling.

1 hour ago, Analog said:

why don't they show the original incident, then the VAR check and confirmation, along with slow-mo replays and whatnot?  

this is not the first time I have seen this now where VAR incidents are left out of the highlights.

It isn’t a “VAR incident” if the original decision isn’t changed, and when the tackle isn’t even reviewed on the pitchside screen.

Not sure how this is still so hard to understand. There are loads of these checks going on in every game, why would they need to work them into the match highlights if they aren’t disputing the ref’s decision. 

Absolutely baffling post.

Can’t see the video you’ve posted, but I’m guessing the highlights showed the tackle and the award of the penalty, just didn’t replay it from three angles in slow motion. Not sure how that’s contentious when they are tight on time for a highlights package and the decision wasn’t changed by the VAR or reviewed by the on-pitch ref.

25 minutes ago, Analog said:

It's not baffling to ask the simple question:  Why weren't any of the events of the penalty shown in a highlights clip?  :D

Those weren't conspiracy questions I asked, either.

If the footage is specific to a VAR incident, there could very well be "rights of ownership" reasons why none of those events are included.  No conspiracy there.

The other, completely logical reason why they might not be included: avoidance of confrontation?  I don't know.  I'm asking simple, valid questions.  If a person wants to know what this match was all about, what all the talk was about, then why can't they gather that information from the match highlights clip shown by ESPN?

Just watch the highlights on the BBC football site, shows the career threatening foul on Sterling there.