Match 50: England vs Denmark - 8pm (bst) ITV1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY !!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now this. This is a thread worthy of an England semi-final.

Heavy rumours are that Saka will be back in for Sancho. Hints at maybe going with the same system as against Germany to match the Danes?

The head says we have better quality almost everywhere, that we are at home, in good form and should win this by a couple of goals. But things rarely work out like that even before you take into account this is England, in the semi-final of a major tournament...

C'mon!

England to win by the odd goal.

I hope we stick with the system from the Ukraine game. Denmark are a good side and it'll be a very difficult game, but I don't think we need to match their system. We should be confident enough in our form and ability to play on our terms.

I thought Sancho played well on Saturday but Saka is a more than adequate replacement. I wouldn't change anything else.

A key part of what's made Denmark do dangerous so far has been Maehle's contributions and ability to join the attack so readily from left-back. Whether we go 3-4-3 or 4-3-3, I'd like us to try starting Sterling on his flank just to give him something extra to think about throughout the match.

Even off the ball, Sterling's (likewise, Saka when he's played) always had a huge effect in each of the matches he's played, simply because his opponents have been invariable terrified of his pace.

Just want the day to hurry up and get to the match so I don't have to think about it until then. Stuck BBC breakfast on this morning for the usual "we're here at the Trowbridge Women's Institute where 87 year old Ethel has trained her pet cat to sing it's coming home" and you begin to see how insufferable it all is.

3-0 England

I saw a BBC Breakfast segment where they were interviewing some posh 12 year olds from some posh school in London and this 12 year old was banging on about pressure of past failures. Was thinking what do you care. Your 12, you've only ever known semi finals ffs :D

I think Denmark might be a bit less attacking, once you're in the semis I don't think a manager will say "let's have a go and see what happens".

I can't really see Denmark getting through if England score first, I still think their attackers aren't up to much.

1 hour ago, samuelawachie said:

So how's Eriksen doing? Especially as things soon start to transition to the new season; will he be fit to play? Any news on his condition?

Edit: Fit to play in the new season, I mean..

The Inter doctors are with him iirc and they will check if he can remove that defibrillator. 

Fingers crossed. 

I'm guessing he'll get a loan move from Inter if he's fit to play but cannot get the defibrillator removed. 

They tend not to put defibrillators in people unless there is a genuine risk of sudden cardiac death, it seems unlikely they'd remove it.

By genuine risk I don't mean it's likely, I think I've heard that only about 1 in 50 administer a shock in a yearly period.

It also depends on whether he's got the collarbone one or the one to the side,the latter is less serious. 

Edited by The_jagster

8 hours ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

The penultimate match thread my friends, the penultimate match... :( 

HISTORY

England in major tournament* semi finals are rare events. It's only happened four times...

1966 England 2-1 Portugal - By all accounts, England were lucky to get through this match.

1990 England 1-1p Germany - You know what happened.

1996 England 1-1p Germany - Yeah yeah I did this for the England Germany match thread

2018 England 1-2 Croatia - England take an early lead, Kane bottles a sitter (after refusing to pass), and we know the rest.

Charlton. Lineker. Shearer. Trippier. A future round for Only Connect if ever I saw one.

I'd suggest IF England win, it will be a close and tense going by history.

*I'm not including the Nations League in this. Sorry not sorry.

MORE HISTORY

England Denmark. Maybe not the most storied of rivalries, but who can forget the drab 0-0 draw they played out at the start of Euro 92? Or Denmark's famous Nations League triumph over England early last season? Obviously we all remember that lovely Saturday lunchtime in 2002, which was basically peak Sven when we all thought he might be able to lead us to the promised land:

DANISH HISTORY

It's worth saying, Denmark have the better pedigree than us in this competition, they won in 1992, famously so in fact. Here's what happened the last time they played a Euros semi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyGli_G3kY

Lets hope its more like 1984 when they lost on penalties to Spain.

ERIKSEN

This feels like it happened in another competition, but worth remembering we almost saw a professional footballer die on the pitch in front of our eyes just a few weeks ago. Whatever happens, please keep things in perspective. It might even be worth donating some money to this fine charity: https://www.aeddonate.org.uk/

TEAM NEWS

As before, does anyone really know what Southgate is going to do? Wait for the The Athletic to be leaked the info a few hours before kickoff.

FORMGUIDE

England, yet to concede a goal.

Denmark, for understandable reasons started slow, but they got some momentum. But were they beginning to look weary against the Czechs?

PREDICTION

I'm a bit wobbly on this, I think this might go to ET and be settled by the barest of margins.

Also Euro 1968

Yugoslavia 1-0 England

Possibly no footage of this

8 hours ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

MORE HISTORY

England Denmark. Maybe not the most storied of rivalries, but who can forget the drab 0-0 draw they played out at the start of Euro 92? Or Denmark's famous Nations League triumph over England early last season? Obviously we all remember that lovely Saturday lunchtime in 2002, which was basically peak Sven when we all thought he might be able to lead us to the promised land:

Vintage Motson.  Back when we still called it the "Second Round" instead of the "Round of 16".  Halcyon days.

1 hour ago, Wiggins Top Boys said:

Just want the day to hurry up and get to the match so I don't have to think about it until then. Stuck BBC breakfast on this morning for the usual "we're here at the Trowbridge Women's Institute where 87 year old Ethel has trained her pet cat to sing it's coming home" and you begin to see how insufferable it all is.

3-0 England

I wouldn't actually mind seeing a feature like that :cool:

unfortunately it's usually people who generally don't care about football and are now caring because England are one game away from the final of a major championship

Just now, Barry Cartman said:

Whats the weather like in London? Absolutely pissing it down here, I assume they're not allowed to close the roof for Covid reasons? 

Surely you know by now that your weather isn’t a good indicator for the rest of the country :D 

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Whats the weather like in London? Absolutely pissing it down here, I assume they're not allowed to close the roof for Covid reasons? 

Wembley doesn't fully retract anyway

Getting more nervous about this one as time goes on.

England are in a bit of a strange position in that there's probably less pressure in the final. If we get there, even if we lose, everyone will recognise that it was an amazing achievement, they will go down in history and be praised regardless. It's almost a free pass to some extent.

However, lose this, and the entire country will be gutted. And it's definitely not a given that we win this.

9 minutes ago, oche balboa said:

Obviously you would all remember the 2018 Semi final. But do any of you remember the 90,96 Semis?

I loved 90 and 96, 2 of the best games I ever watched... maybe because I was young, carefree, enjoyed football for what it was... plus I didnt know I was Scottish :D

18 I probably remember the least as I didnt care, watched it, but lacked any real passion for the international version of football.

Good luck to England tonight, might give my cynical dad something to cheer... he is nicknamed Willy after World Cup Willy, so who is this years cuddly competition mascot? Ill call him that after England win it :lol:

Just now, oche balboa said:

England's record on ITV/BBC since France 98

ITV: P25 W5 D12 L8

BBC: P23 W15 D3 L4

I hate ITV as much as anyone, but this is always a bit misleading.

Most tournaments ITV used to settle for showing one of England's group games instead of two so that they then had first pick in the first knockout round.

So BBC get two games against the group stage fodder and ITV then get the Argentina 98, Portugal 04, Germany 2010, Italy 2012, er, Iceland 2016