Match 50: England vs Denmark - 8pm (bst) ITV1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY !!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Pompeyboyz said:

I see all the talk about the penalty, which in my honest opinion was contentious, but no one really talks about the stats.

England dominated Denmark and had it not been for a certain goalkeeper, we would have won much clearer with or without a penalty. 

You know how it goes: if a smaller team defeats a bigger team, no matter how, invariably it is called 'deserved'. In this case the Danes did just enough to keep England from scoring the second goal and had things gone to penalties, we all know how that would have ended (I'll generously call it 75% likely for Denmark). And they would therefore 'deservedly' have won. That's why the penalty is so hotly debated. It made the difference between win and loss. It is, ceteris paribus, the only reason England won. 'England would have scored anyway'. They didn't though. Should have made one more and no one would talk about this, basically. 

(And it was a dive, let's keep that clear :D )

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Pompeyboyz said:

I see all the talk about the penalty, which in my honest opinion was contentious, but no one really talks about the stats.

image.png.044e18851d45ee9f29a4a07ac268ed70.png

England dominated Denmark and had it not been for a certain goalkeeper, we would have won much clearer with or without a penalty. 

It's been talked about quite a lot.

I think the vast majority would agree England were the better team and most likely would have scored anyway. Doesn't mean they definitely would have, though.

13 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Was it? :D In my head that Sol Campbell disallowed goal was midway through extra time. Shows how much I have dwelt on it definitely definitely being the reason we went out :brock:

didn't he score one in extra time against Argentina in 1998 and it was ruled out?

nah turns out it was 80th minute of that game, my mistake ;)

Edited by TM

22 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Don't know when exactly the booing the other teams national anthem became a 'thing' but it's terrible. 

Only terrible thing about it is the idea that only England fans do it - happens in loads of places but for some reason it's become the new thing to moan about this week :rolleyes: 

It happened at the playoff final ffs :D 

5 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

Only terrible thing about it is the idea that only England fans do it - happens in loads of places but for some reason it's become the new thing to moan about this week :rolleyes: 

Can't say I've really noticed it in other games. 

3 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Wasn't really a thing anyone cared about till this week though, more noticable when there's 40-60k doing it but it's been going on years and yeah, it's **** but it's really not a big deal. I don't get the fuss tbh 

26 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Apparently the Italians were doing it, and so were the Danes in group stage matches. Probably not at the level that England fans were, in any case.

My unpopular opinion is that national anthems are dirges and should not be sung before sports matches.

5 minutes ago, Unknown Hacker said:

Apparently the Italians were doing it, and so were the Danes in group stage matches. Probably not at the level that England fans were, in any case.

My unpopular opinion is that national anthems are dirges and should not be sung before sports matches.

apart from the Italian anthem :cool:

1 hour ago, DJ said:

Should have made one more and no one would talk about this, basically.

I love the idea that we should have gone out to score another and potentially conceded in the process so that some people on OTF wouldn’t moan about us being given a blatant penalty.

I mean, even if Denmark had held out for another 15 minutes after going a man down, what makes it certain or even likely that they'd have won a shoot out? We beat Columbia in 2018 and Switzerland in 2019 - Southgate's England emphatically aren't Old England.

Schmeichel's saved 23/91 in his career (25%) vs Pickford's 11/46 (24%) - so even the goalkeeper "advantage" I've heard tons of people mention doesn't actually exist.

37 minutes ago, Butts said:

I love the idea that we should have gone out to score another and potentially conceded in the process so that some people on OTF wouldn’t moan about us being given a blatant penalty.

I mean, either before or after the penalty. Now, it's a game decider, otherwise, it wouldn't have been. 

1 hour ago, darren1983 said:

In England we hold ourselves to a much higher standard than we hold other counties on this sort of thing, I guess you could say it's the right thing to do but it happens in other games a lot and it's happened to England many times in games in other countries so I'm not going to get too much of a tizz about the criticism of England fans doing it. A lot of stone throwing in glass houses out there.

This thread:  5.5 pages of pre-match comment and build-up, 17.5 pages of match, 18 pages of debating the penalty/"dark arts".  And some people thought VAR would remove debates from football :D