Football Manager 2020 Pre-Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

4 minutes ago, ScottLow89 said:

I'd disagree tbh. I think his stats are fairly accurate. The guy is a hardworking midfielder who is a decent tackler, good in the air and average passing. I honestly think he's underrated irl. He is a great player in his role. Every team could benefit from a player like him.

I think 19s really ought to be reserved for players who are clearly among the best in the world, and I'd really like to see a version where we err on the side of underrating United players.  As it is, Juan Mata is still one of the very best attacking midfielders in the world, again.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

I think 19s really ought to be reserved for players who are clearly among the best in the world, and I'd really like to see a version where we err on the side of underrating United players.  As it is, Juan Mata is still one of the very best attacking midfielders in the world, again.

Agreed. 19 is almost close to best in the world. McTominay isnt bad but he is not 19 worthy. Especially not in 2 stats. He has not even had a full season under his belt yet and hes getting those stats already at 19 out of 20?

But this is something you need to raise in another section of these forums. 

35 minutes ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

The only players who can be classed as better in workrate and teamwork in the PL are players like Kante (who has 20s and rightly so). 19s for SM are fair...watch the guy play live and not on TV and you will see him run for 90 minutes, get stuck in etc...stats are fair imo.

1 minute ago, ScottLow89 said:

The only players who can be classed as better in workrate and teamwork in the PL are players like Kante (who has 20s and rightly so). 19s for SM are fair...watch the guy play live and not on TV and you will see him run for 90 minutes, get stuck in etc...stats are fair imo.

He's also decidedly average at anything approaching progressive football, which is what his attributes show him as. So outside of one quite specific role, he's not actually standout

Not complaining about or endorsing other peoples feedback, just simply posting some screens.

Bearing in mind, by the way, that my entire tactic is set up to perform exactly this way - soak up pressure and then counter directly and quickly for my forwards (B. Davies is quick and finishes well, L. Davies is an ancient but very capable target man) and that I tweak my tactic a lot pre-game in terms of roles, PI's and OI's, particularly in relation to opposition formation - although almost everybody in Welsh Wales seems to play a flat 4-5-1 - and the standard is pretty **** poor.

All my assists bar one or two are from my defenders, usually from launching a long ball forward and particularly after a pass or goal kick from my keeper (distribute to full backs). The right full back plays as a very attacking wing back, and my favourite assist of his came from cutting in from the byline into the box and then laying it on a plate to an unmarked Davies. Also, unmarked on the assists column, are a couple from B. Davies (when playing as a PF a rather than Poacher) running onto the ball in the channel and delivering a low cross into the 6 yard box that a defender has bundled into his own goal. The sole assist from a midfielder came via a throw-in played to him maybe 30 yards from goal and him swinging in a deep cross to L.Davies who powered it home with his head.

Again, I have neither the playing staff nor inclination to change the way I play, I looked at my team and the few players I could sign and came up with this particular tactic and am perfectly happy with how it is performing. I think, as of now, I'm top on GD (having played one game more) and have a record of W4, D1, L1.

20191103231126_1.jpg

20191103234213_1.jpg

20191103234222_1.jpg

Just a quick question to those that work on the game. If the 1v1 shots aren't being scored as some have reported is that making the mental stat- (composure if it's relatively high)/stats ineffective? Or is it the case of they're more likely to score given the right 1v1 where as someone with a lower composure will barely if not at all score in that situation? 

Would that also work for passing/vision when the wingbacks switch to the other flank (not many can) but it seems in this game they can quite often. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, BigV said:

Just a quick question to those that work on the game. If the 1v1 shots aren't being scored as some have reported is that making the mental stat- (composure if it's relatively high)/stats ineffective? Or is it the case of they're more likely to score given the right 1v1 where as someone with a lower composure will barely if not at all score in that situation? 

Would that also work for passing/vision when the wingbacks switch to the other flank (not many can) but it seems in this game they can quite often. Thanks.

Personally, I don't think these missed 1 one 1's are attribute related, I think it's the ME's way of saying these chances shouldn't be happening in the first place & it's saying "Nah"

I'm not struggling with these too much but the youtubers I watch are tearing their hair out about them  

3 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Personally, I don't think these missed 1 one 1's are attribute related, I think it's the ME's way of saying these chances shouldn't be happening in the first place & it's saying "Nah"

I'm not struggling with these too much but the youtubers I watch are tearing their hair out about them  

GoldenFM's RB Salzburg save has been most amusing.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

That's not how the ME works. If finishing is looking consistently low compared to real life (and tbf thats one thing I havent seen posted here yet) they will tweak it, they are likely looking at it already

1 minute ago, Johnny Ace said:

That's one of the one's I've been watching 

Just guessing sheep, I'm sure something similar happened years ago 

I've flagged it in my own bug reports but my first issue is the potentially high number of one on ones, predominantly coming because defenders are too slow to deal with long balls. Finishing may well need a tweak, but that would be my first port of call

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I've flagged it in my own bug reports but my first issue is the potentially high number of one on ones, predominantly coming because defenders are too slow to deal with long balls. Finishing may well need a tweak, but that would be my first port of call

It's a bit of both isn't, I'm playing a deep DL & short passing so I'm not seeing it much. I have noticed CB's hanging onto the ball & being closed down setting a striker free

One thing I've noticed today with penalties, they're all played along the ground 

30 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

He's also decidedly average at anything approaching progressive football, which is what his attributes show him as. So outside of one quite specific role, he's not actually standout

In that one specific role, which is quite a useful one, he's pretty exceptional though.  Which - hey, maybe he will be, one day. 

16 minutes ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

In that one specific role, which is quite a useful one, he's pretty exceptional though.  Which - hey, maybe he will be, one day. 

I think they're fairly reasonable, only teamwork should be slightly lower. Workrate and determination are probably on point. Tackling is 16 not 19 so very useful. Passing/jump reach and physicals seem very true to now. 

Love the pattern of matches I seem to have settled into - players strolling from one side of the pitch to the other as the ball gets smashed back to front and side to side, towards the goal from 30 yards on the hoof.  Feels like it's gonna be a year where I find the two biggest, fastest midfielders I can and ignore their ability to pass because I just kick the ball over their heads anyway.

Feedback; everything other than the ME is top notch stuff.

On the ME, where do I even start. The same problem that plagued fm19 is still not fixed. Strikers don't score regardless of attributes, midfielders who score belters and finish top scorers. The ME feels like attributes don't matter. Top level play and LLM football feels the same. Lower league club wingbacks play crossfield passes like they are all Luka Modrics or Pogbas. I think the attempted fix of wingback crossing against opponent out for corner in fm19 which resulted in insane amount of crosses, has now went to other extreme and they don't cross the ball at all even in good positions. 

AI still does not look to have improved by much. 

Albeit its a beta, but not gonna hold my breath that these issues are gonna be fixed for release. Alot of them are from fm18 and till today, a mess. 

10 minutes ago, upthetoon said:

Feedback; everything other than the ME is top notch stuff.

On the ME, where do I even start. The same problem that plagued fm19 is still not fixed. Strikers don't score regardless of attributes, midfielders who score belters and finish top scorers. The ME feels like attributes don't matter. Top level play and LLM football feels the same. Lower league club wingbacks play crossfield passes like they are all Luka Modrics or Pogbas. I think the attempted fix of wingback crossing against opponent out for corner in fm19 which resulted in insane amount of crosses, has now went to other extreme and they don't cross the ball at all even in good positions. 

AI still does not look to have improved by much. 

Albeit its a beta, but not gonna hold my breath that these issues are gonna be fixed for release. Alot of them are from fm18 and till today, a mess. 

This is the kind of feedback I want to hear, as someone who owned FM19 and hated everything about the ME and players demanding new contracts every 3 months. The complete lack of movement in strikers and AMC's killed it for me last year and 90% of what I have seen is that AMC's are better but strikers are still so poor. I really, really like the look of the playing pathway, as someone who loves developing youth and playing long term saves it is the kind of thing I really want to see.  Also being able to explain to a player when you are phasing him out for the new hottness yet still appreciating his service... class. But everything is about the ME and how it implements your tactics.

And it is for this reason I have held off buying this year, as I did not enjoy FM19 and went back to FM18. Thanks for the effort guys, but I dont think you have a sale here this year.

6 hours ago, s1111 said:

The match engine is a difficult watch on Comprehensive. There are an average of 8-10 offsides per match, about twice as many as there should be, which you have to watch every single one and wastes at least 5 minutes of my time per match. Most of these offsides are stupid ones from fullbacks or hopeless punts in the vague direction a player clearly offside. This also highlights some weird behaviour from defensive lines, as they seem incapable of dealing with all the long punts where  there isn't an offside. This leads to a load of one on one opportunities where clearly the finishing ability on these has been toned down to keep the scores down.

Then there's also the crazy ping pong crossfield passes where wingers and full backs play one twos with each other across the width of the pitch. With these and the long balls over the top there seems to be a clear tendency for players to look to pass to a team mate in open space rather than try to pass through the more congested centre of the pitch, even if that player is 40-50 yards away.

The ME is coded to find the players in space for the pass regardless of mentality, tempo and passing instructions. The center is congested most of the time, hence the long crossfield Alonso and Beckham-esqe accurate passes. Therein lies the problem.

There are three problems here-

1) First of all, the passing behaviour should be based on tactics. If the tactics is to play short passes with low tempo, then these frequency of these direct switch of plays should be rare. Instead the switch should happen using short, quick passes from one side to the other.

2) Better marking for the wide players is required. These switches wouldn't happen so frequently if the marking of wide players by the defending team was better implemented. This needs to be better only slightly because the AI still need to prioritise defending central areas first and foremost.

3) The accuracy and weight of these long passes needs to be reduced. How many accurate hollywood passers exist in real life these days?

Edited by pats

58 minutes ago, dannyfc said:

Still a serious lack of penetration from central midfield areas. As soon as the space becomes congested, players lock up and instantly look for a safe option outwide or behind. You rarely see any take ons, or slide passes, or forward square balls into feet to then play off. Feels like the only creative outlets is within your own half or out wide. 

I think what FM does well is represent a teams control of space, but at the cost of any individuality or variance in play. 

This comment nailed it imo.

13 hours ago, frank_olaf said:

The performance of the 3d match view has been worse for me in FM20. In FM19, I had all the Match graphic display settings set to medium (except for Crowd Quality which is set to 'Off') and I replicated that for FM20. However, the performance is worse. It is quite jittery/stuttery and my laptop fans are making lots of noise. I've also tried with Mesh Detail, Texture quality and Anti-Aliasing set to low and still have the same issues

Which specific settings are best to turn to low to try and make the match experience smoother and my fan less loud (or should I turn all to low)?

Thanks 

Try using low quality with high render. I've not tried yet but will be when get back on my laptop later.

3 hours ago, pats said:

The ME is coded to find the players in space for the pass regardless of mentality, tempo and passing instructions.

Wow, do you work with the ME team? If so, why don't you tell them how they should fix it as well!

/sarcasm

But honestly, don't type things like this when you clearly have no intricate knowledge of how the ME works. There are issues with it, yes, but remember (and I can belive I'm typing this once again) THIS IS A BETA DESIGNED TO FIND ISSUE WITH THE GAME.

Quite a lot have come back with good feedback, but the nonsense of some users in here...

Edited by XaW

hace 10 horas, s1111 dijo:

The match engine is a difficult watch on Comprehensive. There are an average of 8-10 offsides per match, about twice as many as there should be, which you have to watch every single one and wastes at least 5 minutes of my time per match. Most of these offsides are stupid ones from fullbacks or hopeless punts in the vague direction a player clearly offside. This also highlights some weird behaviour from defensive lines, as they seem incapable of dealing with all the long punts where  there isn't an offside. This leads to a load of one on one opportunities where clearly the finishing ability on these has been toned down to keep the scores down.

Then there's also the crazy ping pong crossfield passes where wingers and full backs play one twos with each other across the width of the pitch. With these and the long balls over the top there seems to be a clear tendency for players to look to pass to a team mate in open space rather than try to pass through the more congested centre of the pitch, even if that player is 40-50 yards away.

Exactly my thoughts and findings and my only complain about the ME so far, love the rest of the game.

8 hours ago, RiverReveal666 said:

After a weekend with the game, I love everything off the pitch:

• Club vision is a great feature
  • Development Centre is better than I was expecting
  • Last years new additions, such as training feel far more fleshed out and integrated into the game
  • Everything just seems to work together so much better. I think I would be going back to FM14 to find a FM that just seemed to have all its moving parts working together so well
  • I know some people are unhappy with the Dark Skin (which is fair enough as its not exactly what I would expect from a dark skin), however, if its changed can the current Dark Skin please be made available as I think its great.

However, I really, really do not like the ME. There are numerous bug reports in the ME bug report section that cover the main issues and I really, really hope that something can be worked on.

• Amount of 1 on 1s  resulting in no goals
  • the lazer accuracy of long balls, especially over the defence / crossfield to other wing
  • Shots from tight angles when players are unmarked in middle
  • Shot speed seems a little to fast (can live with that one though)
  • Goalkeeper animations are better!

This has the potential to be my favorite FM ever! If need by I will just get a instant result skin to bypass the ME, which I would rather not do, but it would still be worth my money and time as I am enjoying the non ME part of the game so much.

You left out the biggest issue with the ME, longshots 24/7 even with tactics and player tactics telling them not to do it.

Edited by Andigaming

10 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

@herne79

Here you go, 4 examples from just one game.

erm thanks, not sure why you're pinging me though?

Instead of creating that long post with those gifs, you could have simply created a thread in the ME Bugs Forum and pasted in the match pkm (which is what I suggested you do) in probably a quarter of the time and it would have been far more useful too :thup:.

Not a bug as such, but add-ons can be exploited.

I signed Ronaldo Viera for like 8 million and had a lowish bid for Haaland accepted by putting 10-15 mil to be paid when qualify for Europe within 2 years.

I'm Sheff Utd and not Chris Wilder, so not gonna happen.

Seems a bit of an exploit to get cheap players.

11 hours ago, Scotty Walds said:

Log them in the relevant bug forums, if you haven't already.

Done, thanks :thup: (put them in the User Interface section, hopefully that's correct)

Edited by stevemc

14 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I have the graphics settings on low but the render quality on very high. All other settings are 'low' except anti-aliasing which is off. Until the problem with some Nvidia cards is fixed, this is as close to a smooth 3D as I'm going to get. 

How do you do this?

Not sure if this is something that SI would be willing to change - or we would need to wait on the Editor to be released.

The San Marino Challenge relies on a Sammarinese team playing in the Italian league system.  Until now, it has been San Marino Calcio, but the club seems to have had ground and financial problems and is now a new club - Cattolica Calcio San Marino.

While in game they are classed as a Sammarinese club - someone checked the youth intake and they were all Italian.  They play their games in Italy (Cattolica), which seems to be the driver for the nationality of the youth intake.

I don't know if SI would be willing to change this?  They aren't playable, so it means holidaying and reloading until they get promoted, but the challenge won't work with mainly Italian youth intakes.  In real life, they would attract the best under 16 players in San Marino, so I would believe this to be a realistic change, and in line with a club like Croatia Berlin.

Thank you for your consideration.

Guys could you please check players filters in selection? Save filter and try to export this in another save please?

It always worked for years, but stopped in FM19, I spent hours to explain how it must works and looks like this issue returned? :( 

Possibly it just me (I dont believe, but need to check) so many thanks in advance for everyone who will check the same procedure :thup:

Create filter -> save this -> load another save -> export filter.

If there are empty list, issue still here (especially if filter file created in Games\FM20\filters)

Edited by Novem9

9 hours ago, pizzachips said:

Suggestion: under 23 and under 18 is 1 to many clicks in my opinion unless im missing something.

It's been changed so that if you have no direct involvement in the squad(s), you do not have direct access via the sidebar. You can right-click the Dev Centre icon on the sidebar, and use the context menu to go to the Squad screen.

2 hours ago, XaW said:

Wow, do you work with the ME team? If so, why don't you tell them how they should fix it as well!

/sarcasm

But honestly, don't type things like this when you clearly have no intricate knowledge of how the ME works. There are issues with it, yes, but remember (and I can belive I'm typing this once again) THIS IS A BETA DESIGNED TO FIND ISSUE WITH THE GAME.

Quite a lot have come back with good feedback, but the nonsense of some users in here...

You work in QA and I'm a developer. You haven't tested games but have tested other software, I have developed games and other software too.  I may be wrong about ME but I have more knowledge about coding than you do so don't tell me what to type and what to not type.

Regardless of what I type or how ME is coded, it's clear to see in current ME, players prefer to pass to their teammate in space (which isn't incorrect mind you) a bit too much regardless of passing, mentality and tempo instructions. That's all I was saying.

Edited by pats

Guys, is it possible to filter male and female staff in the advanced search in BETA? As in every save I would like to hire some female staff, but it's damn hard to find them.

Edited by Ghost77

16 minutes ago, pats said:

You work in QA and I'm a developer. You haven't tested games but have tested other software, I have developed games and other software too.  I may be wrong about ME but I have more knowledge about coding than you do so don't tell me what to type and what to not type.

Regardless of what I type or how ME is coded, it's clear to see in current ME, players prefer to pass to their teammate in space (which isn't incorrect mind you) a bit too much regardless of passing, mentality and tempo instructions. That's all I was saying.

ooh, ooh, are we playing experience top trumps?  This is always fun.

Acting like you have any idea about how the ME is coded usually invalidates your argument.  It doesn't matter if you're sitting at 30 years experience and remember punch cards and coding on a spectrum, you still can't say with any authority about how things work under the hood.  Doesn't mean you can't spot things that don't look right, but if you do, raise them to the people that actually do know what is going under the hood and have access to the tools to fix it, rather than playing the always tedious "I know more than you" game.

ok enough.

@pats If your observations about the ME lead you to believe something isn't working properly, the best thing you can do now is start a bug report in the ME Bugs forum.  There are threads pinned to the top of that forum explaining how to raise a bug report and what information is required.

I think people just wanted to pick you up on your "The ME is coded to find the players in space" statement.  Obviously only SI know how the ME is coded, the rest of us can only assume, but like I say if that's your observation then the bugs forum is the place for you :thup:.

7a07ab3c377452a3f6da33c2ba8779ce.png

4 out of 5 of the players in the running for serie A best player of the year are full backs. It sort of ruins the realism somewhat.

6d0b0250e54eeeba0658ced92823776c.png

Out of the top 15 performers in Serie A, 7 are fullbacks. Maybe there should be a weighting in end of season awards towards goals/assists as well as overall rating?

48 minutes ago, decapitated said:

7a07ab3c377452a3f6da33c2ba8779ce.png

4 out of 5 of the players in the running for serie A best player of the year are full backs. It sort of ruins the realism somewhat.

6d0b0250e54eeeba0658ced92823776c.png

Out of the top 15 performers in Serie A, 7 are fullbacks. Maybe there should be a weighting in end of season awards towards goals/assists as well as overall rating?

Fullbacks are a little overpowered. I have seen it also a lot of time my fullbacks getting higher ratings. And they are included in the game almost all the time. In one game I had about 800 completed passes, one fullback had about 130 passes and other one about 120. Midfielder had less than 90 passes. Striker just 22...

3 hours ago, herne79 said:

erm thanks, not sure why you're pinging me though?

Instead of creating that long post with those gifs, you could have simply created a thread in the ME Bugs Forum and pasted in the match pkm (which is what I suggested you do) in probably a quarter of the time and it would have been far more useful too :thup:.

If it's a common issue with all the strikers and happens every game and a lot of people are complaining about it, then pkms are pointless.
It's not some specific action or passing sequence that leads to sketchy stuff, but something that happens every game.

The only thing I should upload is literally the whole save so you guys can watch every single game and count the missed sitters. But you can make a save of your own and sim games for that.