Football Manager 2020 Pre-Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

5 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

That all looks normal to me. Maybe it's the level I'm playing at. Maybe Northern Ireland 3rd Division footballers are all hardy built men who don't get hurt :lol:

That could be one of reasons 😂

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, JR_Junior said:

I'm enjoying the BETA so far, my only problems with it so far are:

* 1v1 chances never go in. I'm mid-october with Roda JC and I think I only saw one 1v1 to be a goal...and it was a last minute shot for the opposition team to tie the game...no I'm not salty!
* 3D ME is really choppy on my good notebook that runs most of the other games pretty well. I'm having to play on medium settings.
* I tried to play with Inter Miami but I can't buy any player or hire any staff before the team officially enters the MLS around January 1st 2020. You can offer contracts, they accept but they never come to your team. Staff even show that they work for the team on their history but they still unemployed. It speciallys ucks because you can't hire scouts in preparation for the draft nor get players that start as FA.
* The automatic continue (2 seconds) sometimes goes by itself even when I'm clicking and reading news or looking at player profiles. I had this issue in FM19, too.

Same problem here

By the way, to be more positive, if you have space on your squad view screen, I would highly recommend adding both 'playing time happiness' and 'agreed playing time' to the view. It's one of the best new features in the game, and having a dynamic snapshot on your squad view is really helpful with squad management. 

Hi guys, wasn’t sure where to post this so thought i’d comment in here.

I’ve just installed FM20 but a folder hasn’t been created within the ‘Sports Interactive’ folder... not quite sure what to do, any else had this problem?

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

It's funny how no-one complains when there's considerably less than in real life. 

If Things go well, it's our brilliant Management. If the **** hits the fan... To be serious: Psychologically this is natural,  as fewer injuries means less Frustration (which is why they target them to be fewer than in Football.... not by a Little, but by ~-20%). This Kind of reporting still creates a dangerous bias, in particular if this is meant to be a Football Simulation proper.

Not sure what your Penalty rates are, I'd bet they are pretty fine. In the bug sections there is already a thread how Players saw Ronaldo missing 5 in a Season. (Never mind this actually happened in the last one but..)… This is the law of large numbers coming full circle, considering how many are playing the game. And it's also underestimating randomness  -- in particular considering that even for Ronaldo each andd every Penalty should have a significant Chance of not being converted. As it does such, sequences will happen. It's only matter of when and where and for whom. Unless they Code in artificial scripts that would dictate this were NEVER to happen, which is not a Simulation anymore. 

Edited by Svenc

There appears to be no compromise when not hitting a boards targets. Playing as Hearts and challenging for the title (Expected to qualify for Europa but am 23 points ahead of 5th and only 3 behind 1st) but have been sacked for getting knocked out the Scottish cup in the 1/4s rather than reaching the semi. Seems a bit drastic to say the least

All it takes is an unlucky draw with any team and you could get sacked :/

Edited by Jambo

I'm playing with Arsenal, for some reason my team keep doing long balls and long shots even though I've had passing at shorter or much shorter, tempo at slightly lower and team mentality balanced or positive.

Edited by Ras

I've conceded a bunch of goals in my first three games from defenders playing people onside - like two, three yards behind the rest of the defense in an offside trap - or from defenders taking a pass from the keeper and miscontrolling it straight to an opposition player.  Yet I haven't had any defenders with ratings below 6.7 (except the two who got sent off at 6.5).  Errors that should belong to centerbacks - like the miscontrolled pass - are being charged to the goalkeeper.  Anyone else seen something similar, or am I reacting to a small sample size?

Playing as Bristol rovers and first home game crowd was 2,700 i dont think in the clubs history every had a league home crowd that low, should be around 9,000. In game we sold 5,000 season tickets? But also there was 2 stands that seem to be shut down in 3d match. Also sure is been mentioned about the drop in FPS in 3d match it stutters. Gtx 1070, i7 8700k. Thanks, great game btw.

EDIT: Ive just looked and the club has 2,746 seats from a capacity of 11,906. that first home game was 2,746 so it seems the terracing isnt being used only the seats.

Edited by Simsimmabrfc85

My initial impression is that the AMC position in FM20 is much improved over previous versions. Usually try and play a fairly standard 4231 but have always struggled to get a tune out of AMC. Normally end up with 433 or 41221 and forget about AMC.

Much better results in FM20 Touch beta. Just started 2nd season at Man Utd. Moved to 4231, Zainolo hit a hat-trick in the league, now Oyarzabal has scored 6 (six) in a Champions League group game. AMC support, no special instructions.

Unthinkable in FM19.

2 hours ago, Bradley21 said:

It is not a beta. Anyone who's ever worked in the software industry or has any common sense knows you can't have a beta two weeks before launch. Games publishers have been peddling this rubbish for so long that people actually believe it now. 

I also forgot about 1v1's, may as well hardcode them to never happen because it's impossible to score them. 

It is. Bugs will be found, and some of them fixed for release day. Saying that "Games publishers have been peddling this rubbish for so long" is probably not the greatest idea to post on these forum... it's very disrespectful to SI.

1 hour ago, kandersson said:

Is there a way to change player status/agreed playing time other than right clicking on the player and selecting the specific option?

Player screen > Overview > Happiness

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I notice no-one is moaning about excessive injuries so far this year. 

Probably because there aren't any. Well, hardly any. 

Just checked my league. One team has two minor injuries, another has one, and every other team has ZERO injuries. It's funny how no-one complains when there's considerably less than in real life. 

What league is this? Could you get a bug post going for me please with your examples.

• SI Staff

They totally nerfed them after the 'fix' they put in last year. 

This is not true. Our latest internal numbers show that injuries are, for example, at 80% of real life numbers in the Premier Division - the same as in FM19.

• SI Staff

That all looks normal to me. Maybe it's the level I'm playing at. Maybe Northern Ireland 3rd Division footballers are all hardy built men who don't get hurt :lol:

Three posts in a row!

This sounds like the cause to me. Injuries vary from nation to nation and league to league based on a number of factors. My assumption is you are either amateur or part-time? Get it posted as a bug for me please :)

7 minutes ago, Scotty Walds said:

It is. Bugs will be found, and some of them fixed for release day. Saying that "Games publishers have been peddling this rubbish for so long" is probably not the greatest idea to post on these forum... it's very disrespectful to SI.

I mean, call a spade a spade and we wouldn't be having this discussion? It isn't disrespectful to point out a fact. 

Halfway through my first season now and i'm really finding the youth development center to be a really nice addition. When i have a couple years of graduates and regens coming through , this is going to be a really good part of the game. I'd say the general experience is brilliant this year, i think it's definitely the best FM to date with regards the general systems and gameplay. Sadly, the ME is pretty bad, but hopefully that can be worked on since they would have an incredible installment on their hands if this gets improved. 

I have just finished a season and I must say, although it's a beta, FM2020 will probably be my favorite FM version. After I installed latest Intel graphic driver update, 3d match stuttering problem is now gone. Also, I'm playing with two central defenders, both have poor technical and passing abilities but "play from the back" training really improved their performance. Yes, they are still a little better than a maple tree in terms of ball control qualities but they are delivering what I'm expecting during the game. Overlap training is also very useful. In my own experience, putting 1 Endurance training each week during the pre-season (I do 3 week heavy physical+tactical load btw) reduces the injury rate of the team. Maybe, it's just me.

• SI Staff
1 minute ago, glosoli said:

I have just finished a season and I must say, although it's a beta, FM2020 will probably be my favorite FM version. After I installed latest Intel graphic driver update, 3d match stuttering problem is now gone. Also, I'm playing with two central defenders, both have poor technical and passing abilities but "play from the back" training really improved their performance. Yes, they are still a little better than a maple tree in terms of ball control qualities but they are delivering what I'm expecting during the game. Overlap training is also very useful. In my own experience, putting 1 Endurance training each week during the pre-season (I do 3 week heavy physical+tactical load btw) reduces the injury rate of the team. Maybe, it's just me.

Delighted to hear you are enjoying the new training sessions.

Although of course a heavier pre-season does risk more injuries in the short term, a fitness orientated pre-season does indeed reduce fatigue, and by extension injures, over the long term.

I've only played a few matches due to study for upcoming exams. My general observations at this point are:

• Overall, I really like the changes. I certainly feel a lot more aware of what the board expect of me and, like a real management role, I can base my decisions around fulfilling these objectives. I've only tried a couple of clubs so far (Sutton United and Distillery) and already I can see differences in expectations that would alter how I would approach things.
  • I'm too early into my save to make use of it much, but I've already used the development centre to promote a couple of promising youth players to the first team in areas where I'm short of depth.
  • My first use of the preferences screen was pretty confusing, but I eventually found what I was looking for. I'm just used to the old settings, so it will take time to get used to. In any case, it's a set and forget kind of thing so it's not a big deal.
  • The match engine will take some getting used to. When I start a new FM, I usually start with a tactic with absolutely no instructions set to see how the match engine behaves in it's default state, and then start to tweak things from there. In FM 18 and 19, this produced a pretty generic, but believable style of football that I could start to tweak and build from.  For FM 20, oh my word. I wondered what I'd just walked into (more on that below as I can't figure out how to indent my second level bullets).
  • Of particular concern were the huge number of crossfield balls played by my fullbacks, to the fullback or winger on the other side of the pitch. Lowering the mentality of my fullbacks to fullback > defend, seems to have reduced the number of these crossfield passes significantly, so I'll have to take a look at the individual player instructions in more detail and see if I can reduce it further for the more adventurous fullback and wingback roles.
  • One other thing that I'm yet to get to the bottom of is how easily strikers are able to get behind the opposition's defensive line on long direct counter attacks. This happens for both me and the opposition. It seems like the strikers react much quicker to these events than the defenders do, and end up five or six yards ahead of them, leading to a huge number of one on one situations (even when trying to play compact and with much lower defensive line.
  •  Finally, the goalkeepers need to be drug tested. I don't know what they're on, but I want some! I'm starting to think that superman, batman, spiderman etc. have all gone incognito as lower league goalkeepers.

Overall, I'm happy with the general FM 20 game experience. For the short term, I will probably continue with FM19 a bit more though, because, right now I just don't have enough free time to give the new game the time that it deserves and requires to get to grips with the new match engine. I'm looking forward to my exams finishing in a couple of weeks so that I can have a decent go at getting to grips with things.

Edited by DementedHammer

1 hour ago, Boss said:

I can’t seem to multi select players from a squad list to add to shortlist on fm20 on my MacBook - am I being stupid? Seems I can only highlight one at a time 

Anyone have an idea on this? Really frustrating when trying to add multiple players to a shortlist.

1 hour ago, Bradley21 said:

I mean, call a spade a spade and we wouldn't be having this discussion? It isn't disrespectful to point out a fact.

You only posted an opinion, no facts. Just because you think it's true, doesn't actually mean it is.

First impressions - I'm up to October and here's what I think:

• Very smooth interface, even on my three year old laptop I have no problems with speed
  • Unnaturally large amount of 50 - 60 yard crossfield balls to wingers / wing backs - too accurate in my opinion but not a game changer...sure it will be toned down in future patches.
  • One on ones are ridiculous - I've noticed only two of these clear cut chances have been converted in four months (on average about three or four every game). Again, not a game changer - this is Beta after all.
  • Trying to assign scouts is a bit of a faff, but that could be because I am a bit drunk, or not quite used to the system yet.
  • Goalkeepers are great so far (they actually save shots which is a massive improvement for me)
  • Preference screen is confusing but again not a game changer - I'm sure I'll get used to it.
  • Getting a lot of injuries (but I'm playing Man City so that kinda goes with the territory), not a bug because I'm flogging my players to death and treating them like slaves!!
  • I feel that tactics and tactical changes are great - I can actually make a difference in game and long term with the way I set up my team. This is great for me as I'm a bit of a tactician.
  • AMC position is spot on - plays exactly as I want it to

So overall I am very pleased with this version; after two years of indifference I get the feeling that the long term playability (in my opinion the reason we spend so much time on the game) is at the forefront of what FM2020 is all about. If that is the case then this could well be the best version for years. Time will tell but - for me - the early signs are good.

But for next year can you sort out the licensing issues? Zebre? Really? Just call them the Old Lady unless you can sort out their real name

Some issues i've come across after 40 hours:

• Sometimes when in tactics screen, trying to assign substitutes in slots it crashes and does not respond properly, until you select another player in another substitute slot.
  • At this moment, i've gotten the choice to select my own preference for a affiliate club for recruitment. Filtering leagues causes some major freezing and lag, sort of in the same way as in scouting, but a hundred times worse.
  • Some minor hiccups in match engine where delay causes players to "teleport" ten meters forward in an instant.
  • The hairstyles are awful, you know it, i know it. The faces look much better, but the hair undoes a lot of that improvement.
  • When loading my save i don't see a loading bar, the game rather appears frozen for a minute or so. 

But SI, despite the very few problems i've found so far in what is a beta after all. This is the best FM you ever made, from year to year.

The goalkeepers are bloody amazing, i can actually play out from defense fairly safely.

The way my tactics impact what i see during the matches, how my players act. It's night and day guys.

I feel so involved with my team, all these small tweaks and addition has done so much for immersion.

The game honestly feels complete. 

Surpassing my 3500 hours in FM18 this year

Great job!

Edited by Rehnzz

38 minutes ago, Craigcoleoasis said:

Not a major issue - but an unrealistic one - I'm Manchester United and Frank Lampard comes to nearly all of my games to watch Marcus Rashford as he wants to sign him. This would never happen!

True, Frank has an eye for talent

1 hour ago, Seb Wassell said:

Three posts in a row!

This sounds like the cause to me. Injuries vary from nation to nation and league to league based on a number of factors. My assumption is you are either amateur or part-time? Get it posted as a bug for me please :)

I don't think it is a bug, it's just the way it's been coded. I've noticed a large downturn in injuries since the update last year. I don't want to report this and cause you to change it again, in turn causing more forum meltdown :lol:

The downside of no injuries is squad management is more difficult, but we have more tools this year to help with knowing when players want played, so it's all good. 

Had a fair few hours to kill today - played few friendlies - looking really good and immersive so far.

Can anyone answer me this though? How do I compare analysis from multiple matches at once? I'm certain I could do this on the game last year, and it was pretty intuitive. Spent ages looking for the option today and couldn't see it. Can anyone help?

Wingers are sitting too narrow when play enters the final third, right? My main source of goals is a square ball played from the full back to a winger that drifts infield. The AI never picks him up and he usually hits a first time shot which flies in more often than not. This is rendering whoever I play up front largely redundant.

Edited by rdbayly

On 01/11/2019 at 03:54, roykela said:

When i started the game and came to the page where i choose my reputation, coaching style etc. I was unable to change it to having no coaching badges.
I was stuck with choosing National A License. Couldn't change it one way or another.

Do you know if this is intentional? I'm not understanding how to change any of those stats anymore.

Having now played a few matches I have to say the football looks a lot better than I have ever seen it. Players seem to be making the intelligent decisions I read about. I too have seen a bunch of cross field balls though. Also a couple of instances of a player crossing perfectly with his wrong foot (if I keep seeing this I will bug report it). It looks and feels very nice. 

I have to reiterate how much I dislike the contract and transfer negotiation screens. They are just so ugly and lack the logic we had previously. It is a chore to read and find everything included. It is my one severe criticism of the game so far, since this is something we have to use all the time. It should be intuitive. I wonder how it is possible to log this (beyond this thread), since I feel this is a huge design decision that will affect a lot of players negatively. However it is not a bug, really, so I do not want to post it there. In the end I will download a skin anyway, so perhaps it will be improved. 

once one-on-ones, cross-field passes and reticence to cross are fixed I think this'll be the best FM yet.  Really builds on 19 which was a great game.  Unfortunately the 3 mentioned things make matchdays an intensely frustrating and unrealistic experience but I'm sure they'll be fixed for release.

3 hours ago, Jambo said:

There appears to be no compromise when not hitting a boards targets. Playing as Hearts and challenging for the title (Expected to qualify for Europa but am 23 points ahead of 5th and only 3 behind 1st) but have been sacked for getting knocked out the Scottish cup in the 1/4s rather than reaching the semi. Seems a bit drastic to say the least

All it takes is an unlucky draw with any team and you could get sacked :/

Report that in the Bugs forum with a copy of the save, SI can take a look at that.

8 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

To people who say that one on ones don't work at all, DrBenjy just had this absolute beauty :applause:

Not saying they don't work at all, but rather that they don't nearly statistically represent real life one on ones where it is almost certain that it's a goal, in the current FM ME, I'd say my strikers score 1 out of 5 clear cut chances. 

50 minutes ago, nikolaMo said:

Not saying they don't work at all, but rather that they don't nearly statistically represent real life one on ones where it is almost certain that it's a goal,

Not sure where FM ranks currently (Hey, long shots on FM19 were OP too :D) . Stil if you'd bet on that in Football you'd lose lots of Money. Lots. In the above Situation, whilst the Forward is going at pace, and has half the pitch in front to conquer, he's at least coming at the Goal at some angle -- unlike, Robben in the WC final 2010, say. It's still a significantly lesser Chance than a Penalty is.

I don't think Posting anecdotical Videos will suffice both for misses as well as goals (as the above). This is a Long-term Thing and would require in-depth Analysis to get it "realistic".

Edited by Svenc

Don't know if this is worth saying but I was put off by the whole PKM stuff, it's literally a case of clicking save match, then Documents - SI - FM20 -Matches and it saves in there, then just click up to the forum, hopefully if enough load up the 1v1 and fullback ping pong stuff it might help get it fixed

Was it not one of the most requested alterations of FM19 to have the huge amount of space taken up by the next match details on the schedule window be minimised in size?

Yet it's still huge.

2122595851_BognorRegisTown_Fixtures.thumb.png.34f3262e8d6bcbdbbaab742e727902a5.png

It needs to be minimisable or able to be shrunk.

The same goes for the player screen.

1892567197_KieranMagee_Profile.thumb.png.fa73da63369e86dfd00bf495facc7d7b.png

If modders can add in the ability to modify the number and size of individual modules then why can't SI do so in the default skin? I will download skins, but I'd be just as happy keeping the default skin if SI added options to alter components.

10 hours ago, rdbayly said:

One of the few good goals my Leeds side has scored so far. The pass out wide, assist and finish are excellent; it's just a shame I've seen no such play from central areas:

Certainly hugging that wing on the line though and even seems to step outside it on one occasion

I definitely haven't noticed this unrealistic lack of injuries some are suggesting exists. I've got about a month left in my first season at HSV, and so far...

Leibold (LWB) - 3 injuries. Missed 8 weeks, still out for 2-3 more.

Gyamerah (RWB) - 2 injuries. Missed 4 weeks, still out 1 more. 

Vangomon (RWB/LWB) - 3 injuries, missed 5 weeks.

Ewerton (LCB) - 3 injuries, missed 3 months.

van Drongelen (CB) - 2 injuries, missed 2 weeks.

Jung (RCB) - 1 injury, 3 days. 

Letschert (CB4) - No injuries!!! (yet)

Papadopoulos (CB5) - 1 injury, missed 2 months.

I was without my top three WBs and three of my top five CBs at one point, and had to get creative with my backline a couple times in the season. My midfield and forwards have had a few injuries here and there, but aside from Harnik (RW/ST) missing a couple month, mostly just minor things, spread apart enough to not really strain my depth.

Can we have an option to remove the floodlight poles from stadiums when in the sideline camera view?

I love the inclusion of better stadium graphics, but there needs to be a match view with detailed players that can hide things like floodlight piles and still be zoomed in.

The data analyst view doesn't show the floodlight poles, but it is also so far out that any box action is hidden behind the widgets I like to use.

There just seems to be a lack of decent views that show a good portion of the pitch and at reasonable depths of zoom for older eyes.

This is the obstruction I am referring to:

164936708_HaylingvBognorRegis_Pitch.thumb.png.03afc3d85edfba72a811fd1036505fde.png

Maybe I'll get used to it, but I don't recall this obstruction in FM19.

So after a couple of hours with the beta:

The Good

I really like the ME, the pitch, and the animations so far. Looks nice. I have Wil Trapp at Derby in my save, and he did a clever Wil Trapp-esque long range pass that lead to a beautiful goal from my striker. Love it!

Speaking of the above; Strikers seems to actually be involved in the matches this year.

The UI is generally pleasant. I go with the dark skin as the purple kind of hurts my brains after a while.

Haven't seen any bugs so far.

Game seems to run smoother than FM19 on my computer. Don't know if that actually is the case or my (human) memory being bad.

I like the Development center.

Manager profile picture.

The Bad

The new Preferences UI will take some time to get used to. There's still stuff I haven't found.

There seems to be some scaling issues in windowed mode. Text in boxes get cut of and are replaced with "...".

The Ugly

Manager hairstyles. Oh my! I'm so happy I am bald. :lol:

All in all, FM20 seems like a better, more polished version of FM19, which is a good thing. I feel this is the beginning of a beautiful one year obsession and many hours of fun. Looking forward to the 19:th and the editor.

Edited by Viking
My hovercraft is full of eels.

15 hours ago, nikolaMo said:

Unfortunately I'll have to double that, I have a i7 and gtx1060 pc with 5 star recommended graphics, yet the 3D engine is super slow and laggy to say at least. I hate to be that negative fan in the forums but the optimization of the game on Nvidia graphics is just awful. I'll have to wait until full release to make the final judgment though. 

Have you got around this at all? I'm in a match now and it's stuttering and laggy as hell

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, XuluBak said:

I definitely haven't noticed this unrealistic lack of injuries some are suggesting exists. I've got about a month left in my first season at HSV, and so far...

Leibold (LWB) - 3 injuries. Missed 8 weeks, still out for 2-3 more.

Gyamerah (RWB) - 2 injuries. Missed 4 weeks, still out 1 more. 

Vangomon (RWB/LWB) - 3 injuries, missed 5 weeks.

Ewerton (LCB) - 3 injuries, missed 3 months.

van Drongelen (CB) - 2 injuries, missed 2 weeks.

Jung (RCB) - 1 injury, 3 days. 

Letschert (CB4) - No injuries!!! (yet)

Papadopoulos (CB5) - 1 injury, missed 2 months.

I was without my top three WBs and three of my top five CBs at one point, and had to get creative with my backline a couple times in the season. My midfield and forwards have had a few injuries here and there, but aside from Harnik (RW/ST) missing a couple month, mostly just minor things, spread apart enough to not really strain my depth.

Pleased to hear injuries are reasonable for you :thup:

The low amount some are reporting appears to be league specific, so will not affect everyone.