Football Manager 2020 Pre-Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

• SI Staff
9 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I don't think it is a bug, it's just the way it's been coded. I've noticed a large downturn in injuries since the update last year. I don't want to report this and cause you to change it again, in turn causing more forum meltdown :lol:

The downside of no injuries is squad management is more difficult, but we have more tools this year to help with knowing when players want played, so it's all good. 

I'm almost certain I know what the cause of this is. It is indeed the way it's been coded, but that doesn't mean it's not a bug ;)

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone managing to get Inside Forwards working as they’re supposed to? I’m not seeing them cut in at all with the ball. Still scoring a decent amount but most as a normal winger would. I have Tavernier on the left and he has been trained the cuts in from the left move as well. However I don’t think I’ve seen him do it even once in 6 months. 

I remember the official FM twitch live stream I was loving the way that Watkins was playing for Brentford, cutting in and shooting. I have tried both the IF and IW roles. Is anyone else struggling with this and any feedback for me? 

5 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

Have you got around this at all? I'm in a match now and it's stuttering and laggy as hell

Just to follow up on this, 2D works absolutely fine. My laptop is less than 2 months old and played 19 fine. Specs are i7-8750H with ge force 1060ti dedicated graphics

10 hours ago, glosoli said:

I have just finished a season and I must say, although it's a beta, FM2020 will probably be my favorite FM version. After I installed latest Intel graphic driver update, 3d match stuttering problem is now gone. Also, I'm playing with two central defenders, both have poor technical and passing abilities but "play from the back" training really improved their performance. Yes, they are still a little better than a maple tree in terms of ball control qualities but they are delivering what I'm expecting during the game. Overlap training is also very useful. In my own experience, putting 1 Endurance training each week during the pre-season (I do 3 week heavy physical+tactical load btw) reduces the injury rate of the team. Maybe, it's just me.

What graphic settings are you using. Ive got top end graphics and processor but 3d lags like mad, 2d is fine.

7 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

What graphic settings are you using. Ive got top end graphics and processor but 3d lags like mad, 2d is fine.

I have a laptop that has Nvdia 940MX and Intel 620 with i5 7200U processor and 12gb ram. My current save: 9 nations playable, 4 nations view only, players from top division clubs loaded from South America & Europe, approx. 70k players count. 1920x1080 resolution, High graphic settings, 50-60 FPS during the game and 30-40 FPS during the 3d match. I had 18-25 FPS and stuttering during 3d match before the latest Intel 620 update.

I think i've ran into a bit of a bug. I am now at 2022, playing as Brescia.

For some reason City and United are listing really good player for absolute nothings, i just bought Liam Delap for 130k from City and Hannibal Mejbri from United for 225k. These are really good players, Delap is 19 and already a 5-star in my team, whilst Ihattaren and Tonali are 4 stars.

Surely this is somehow a hiccup in the system? 

130K ???

fm_e9HnZ9wag1.png

Edited by Rehnzz

Last year as the year before I think NVIDIA was a issue with graphics . Why it still is beyond belief but one way that worked for me was to roll back your drivers to an earlier setting . The last time I rolled my drivers back to 3.00 I think from the setting it was at . 

Maybe give it a go 

2 hours ago, anagain said:

Can we have an option to remove the floodlight poles from stadiums when in the sideline camera view?

I love the inclusion of better stadium graphics, but there needs to be a match view with detailed players that can hide things like floodlight piles and still be zoomed in.

The data analyst view doesn't show the floodlight poles, but it is also so far out that any box action is hidden behind the widgets I like to use.

There just seems to be a lack of decent views that show a good portion of the pitch and at reasonable depths of zoom for older eyes.

This is the obstruction I am referring to:

164936708_HaylingvBognorRegis_Pitch.thumb.png.03afc3d85edfba72a811fd1036505fde.png

Maybe I'll get used to it, but I don't recall this obstruction in FM19.

Its logged as a bug already as it was last year and probably will get fixed on release of full game

So there we go, that's my EPL save ruined.  Only way to have a decent pool of potential players to choose from is to play elsewhere. Until the politicians come to a resolution no-one knows what is going to happen. Either disable it altogether or let us switch it off or push it to 2100 via an edt file.

image.thumb.png.a9c751b11330cddcddf20ef920dbf027.png

Just now, rp1966 said:

So there we go, that's my EPL save ruined.  Only way to have a decent pool of potential players to choose from is to play elsewhere. Until the politicians come to a resolution no-one knows what is going to happen. Either disable it altogether or let us switch it off or push it to 2100 via an edt file.

The world changes, part of the challenge and what makes the game so great. Sometimes you just have to wing it.

5 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

And if that's what actually happens with Brexit, what will you do? 

I'd be embracing the challenge. I'm in Scotland and I'm sure I seen a message that says I can only register over 23 foreign players who earn at least 8k a week. My highest earner is on 2.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd be embracing the challenge. I'm in Scotland and I'm sure I seen a message that says I can only register over 23 foreign players who earn at least 8k a week. My highest earner is on 2.

It's a step in the right direction, for sure. It's great when the game throws you a curveball. If they were to add a " skip brexit " feature, i'd suggest to put it in the FM Editor. It's as much of a cheat as anything else

I've noticed teams in Scotland (not sure if it's happening elsewhere) are transfer listing players in January who aren't willing to extend their contract. 

For instance, Inverness have their top goalscorer transfer listed for £14k, despite him not being unhappy or seemingly demanding a move, the only reason hes listed is because hes refusing to sign a new deal.

I can see the logic to why this is happening, but it's not something that would happen up here. Ayr has Shankland running out of contract last season and he refused a new deal early on, but they kept him around as the impact he would have for the rest of the season would be greater than any transfer fee they would recieve.

It's fairly widespread as well, as ICT actually have around 5 first team regulars transfer listed, despite not having any players in their squad who would be capable of replacing them.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, Rehnzz said:

It's a step in the right direction, for sure. It's great when the game throws you a curveball. If they were to add a " skip brexit " feature, i'd suggest to put it in the FM Editor. It's as much of a cheat as anything else

I'm sure someone brought one out in the Workshop last time, so it's possible it'll be there for release day this time around.

12 minutes ago, Rehnzz said:

The world changes, part of the challenge and what makes the game so great. Sometimes you just have to wing it.

Not in this case. No-one knows what the situation is going to be in the football world once Brexit resolves itself. This season it's more of an issue than ever as any rule changes will be kicking in the second season. The effect of EU nationals needing work permits is severe, the lack of choice in players available kills the transfer market as you've lost access to huge numbers of youth prospects and non-international senior players. It makes managing in England not a challenge, but a complete bore. Previous versions Brexit was a couple of seasons away, you could at least make a bit of progress, maybe have time to develop some in-house youth prospects if you wanted to stay in the UK.  

Guess I'll be managing outside the UK this version.

Edited by rp1966

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If it happens in the real world, fair enough, but I've never liked the forced choice when we simply don't know. Brexit should always have been selectable by the player - especially once it became clear it was dragging on politically.

1 minute ago, rp1966 said:

Not in this case. No-one know what the situation is going to be in the football world once Brexit resolves itself. This season it's more of an issue than ever as any rule changes will kicking in the second season. The effect of EU nationals needing work permits is severe, the lack of choice in players available kills the transfer market as you've lost access to huge numbers of youth prospects and non-international senior players. It make managing in England not a challenge, but a complete bore. Previous versions Brexit was a couple of seasons away, you could at least make a bit of progress, maybe have time to develop some in-house youth prospects if you wanted to stay in the UK.  

Guess I'll be managing outside the UK this version.

You're making a pretty good case.

As much as i want realism, i can imagine that turning into a matter of who's got Maddison and Rashford lol.

My Brexit went through with no changes, i'm in Italy though. But for some reason the English clubs are selling their top prospects for breadcrumbs

37 minutes ago, prot651 said:

Last year as the year before I think NVIDIA was a issue with graphics . Why it still is beyond belief but one way that worked for me was to roll back your drivers to an earlier setting . The last time I rolled my drivers back to 3.00 I think from the setting it was at . 

Maybe give it a go 

Not sure how to do that,why should I? Or any other users with Nvidia graphics card, I've tried all the stores in this post

And still the 3d match engine is laggy. 2d is fine but with this laptop I have I shouldn't be restricted to just 2d.

14 minutes ago, Rehnzz said:

You're making a pretty good case.

As much as i want realism, i can imagine that turning into a matter of who's got Maddison and Rashford lol.

My Brexit went through with no changes, i'm in Italy though. But for some reason the English clubs are selling their top prospects for breadcrumbs

I normally play a few seasons with  West Ham (the team I'm most familiar with) before starting a journeyman save from lower divisions. A lot depends on the rules around wages - in my game at WHU the first team is probably OK, salaries are going to be above the permit threshold - but level for youth prospect rules out players that aren't already known prospects.  For the journeyman save in League 1 or Championship where you start wanting to expand beyond the UK pool of players the permit limits become very restrictive.

Edited by rp1966

1 hour ago, bigmattb28 said:

Can you please check if FM is using correct card or just force it yourself? This can happen sometimes with games. If that is good then see if new drivers are available.
Let me know if it works or need help.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/pc-components/how-set-default-graphics-card-3612668/

Also one quick option could to reinstall. IF you have fast connection it wont take long time. But also after uninstall delete all other folders under document expect graphics if you have custom skins. This will reset all settings etc.

Edited by saihtam

13 hours ago, Jambo said:

There appears to be no compromise when not hitting a boards targets. Playing as Hearts and challenging for the title (Expected to qualify for Europa but am 23 points ahead of 5th and only 3 behind 1st) but have been sacked for getting knocked out the Scottish cup in the 1/4s rather than reaching the semi. Seems a bit drastic to say the least

All it takes is an unlucky draw with any team and you could get sacked :/

Really hoping over excessive cup expectations aren't a thing and if they are that they go away.

If a cup doesn't really save your job if you've done badly in the league then it shouldn't cost you your job when you are at or exceeding your league expectations.

To be honest, a bit struggling with this fm and sometimes players decisions are horrible. 

On pic 1, Ramsey gets a nice short ball from our right back, he turns quickly and he has option to short pass to number 30 and 25 which are my midfielders(Bentancur and Rabiot) and one of them could have a nice chance to shoot but he plays a 25 yard pass to our left back and what he does? Shoots in not so good position.

TIs are short passes and playing through the middle, but they are not doing it...

Zebre v Brescia_ Pitch.png

Zebre v Brescia_ Pitch-2.png

1 hour ago, rp1966 said:

Other countries have work permit rules as well, some even harsher than this new one you've been given.  And all that scenario is saying is players from EU countries will now face the same WP rules as someone you try to sign from, say, South America.

But anyway, if you don't like it I expect you'll be able to turn it off using the Editor as we've always been able to :thup:.

47 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

Hmmm - guess the Man Utd researcher is in denial. No need for SI to play along, though ...

image.thumb.png.983f935c9f7de42cc565e9754c5747f0.png

41 minutes ago, MaxeyN17 said:

United researcher has been in denial for about three seasons now. 

41 minutes ago, Seqw said:

Only 3? Feels like forever.

Its not an issue in my save...

471477351_PremierLeague_Stages.thumb.png.0b430b28a5ddec712e266025dc9fd7de.png

12 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Other countries have work permit rules as well, some even harsher than this new one you've been given.  And all that scenario is saying is players from EU countries will now face the same WP rules as someone you try to sign from, say, South America.

But anyway, if you don't like it I expect you'll be able to turn it off using the Editor as we've always been able to :thup:.

And obviously I'd be happy playing under those restrictions if I was playing in those countries. Realism is fine; enforced speculation isn't - never has been.  When everyone thought Brexit was a one edition novelty feature .with real-life defining the new rules next version, it was bearable but the continual political wrangling and uncertainty about outcome means it really should be player's choice or not there at all until the real outcome is known.  

Editor not an option for me as I'm FMT, not full FM (which is why I mentioned a switch via edt file)

Edited by rp1966

1 hour ago, rp1966 said:

Actually in FM getting work permits post Brexit is FAR easier. It's more down to wages offered. 

1 minute ago, karanhsingh said:

True. I am in January in my save and Mata has most assists in the EPL

The big difference in my save is that they bought Arkadiusz Milik who's already scored 11 for them - so comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek. Might have been different without first transfer window (can't be disabled in FMT).

38 minutes ago, saihtam said:

Can you please check if FM is using correct card or just force it yourself? This can happen sometimes with games. If that is good then see if new drivers are available.
Let me know if it works or need help.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/pc-components/how-set-default-graphics-card-3612668/

Also one quick option could to reinstall. IF you have fast connection it wont take long time. But also delete all other folders under document expect graphics if you have custom skins. This will reset all settings etc.

Nope exactly the same, turned v sync off still no change

14 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I'm still in September of the first season :lol:

Have you sorted your match lag issue yet?

1 minute ago, bigmattb28 said:

A bit. I had to remove the crowd and change to a lower resolution. It's not perfect, and I shouldn't need to do this, but it's a lot better, and will do until they fix it. 

1 hour ago, rp1966 said:

Hmmm - guess the Man Utd researcher is in denial. No need for SI to play along, though ...

image.thumb.png.983f935c9f7de42cc565e9754c5747f0.png

Man United are flying in my save too, so many of their players are hugely overrated. Whoever does their data is doing a poor job, and whoever is meant to be providing oversight on that data is doing an even poorer job. I'm finding a lot of the data this year to be really strange, to be honest. 

Just now, rp1966 said:

The big difference in my save is that they bought Arkadiusz Milik who's already scored 11 for them - so comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek. Might have been different without first transfer window (can't be disabled in FMT).

I support United since the 90s though and there is no doubt we are OP again, maybe a little less so than FM19. However this is a debate for the database forum.

Played a bit more today, and have to say I'm getting a bit worried about the long shots too. 

I'm playing as Guiseley & still in pre-season - so I AM playing lots of very low level teams, however long shots are flying in.  Currently 8-0 up against North Ferriby & 5 of the 8 goals I've scored have been screamers from outside of the area.

8 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

Nope exactly the same, turned v sync off still no change

I tried deleting the cache and preferences folder as recommended in beta bug thread, but only a tiny bit of an improvement. Still constant fps drops in 3D on medium settings, even though I have 5 stars for my gaming pc. Switched to 2D which is smooth, for now. Waiting and hoping for an optimization on release because I can't understand what seems to be the problem.

2 ore fa, bigmattb28 ha scritto:

Just to follow up on this, 2D works absolutely fine. My laptop is less than 2 months old and played 19 fine. Specs are i7-8750H with ge force 1060ti dedicated graphics

same here.

i7, 32 GB ram (DDR3), GTX 1080 8GB with latest drivers, 3d ME uses more GPU than Diablo, World of Warcraft, ESO all togheter and it is absolutely laggy and un-watchable. It started since the last update, on beta release it was fine. Graphics set at max in options. 2d works perfectly

Hi guys,

I just want to say big THANK YOU for this year edition. Too be honest, till last minutes I wasn't sure if im going to play this year or not. But, im so happy that i decided to do it again(buy pre order, beta, bla bla bla). Match engine seems to finally be well organized, realistic(except 1:1, forwards still have a lot of issues while finishing) and just amazing. New staff members, center of development, club vision....jees, game is so amazing. And finally, full back do think before they cross the ball, what a relief.

Well done, awesome job, this year edition seems to me as we have got a perfect game.

32 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

Played a bit more today, and have to say I'm getting a bit worried about the long shots too. 

I'm playing as Guiseley & still in pre-season - so I AM playing lots of very low level teams, however long shots are flying in.  Currently 8-0 up against North Ferriby & 5 of the 8 goals I've scored have been screamers from outside of the area.

Not seen any long shots on my 4 competitive games so far with PSG.

24 minutes ago, stefano.it said:

same here.

i7, 32 GB ram (DDR3), GTX 1080 8GB with latest drivers, 3d ME uses more GPU than Diablo, World of Warcraft, ESO all togheter and it is absolutely laggy and un-watchable. It started since the last update, on beta release it was fine. Graphics set at max in options. 2d works perfectly

Annoying ain't it. I've just decided I've got to stick to 2d. 

48 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

A bit. I had to remove the crowd and change to a lower resolution. It's not perfect, and I shouldn't need to do this, but it's a lot better, and will do until they fix it. 

I've tried that still the same laggy terrible game play. Just gonna stick to 2d I guess.

One thing I have noticed, don't want anyone saying it's my tactics as I'm just using some default tactics, but I'm seeing my full backs getting caught it possession at least 4 times a game. I'm playing as PSG and Bernat and Meunier aren't bad by any stretch but constantly get caught in possession, the team tends to recover from this however but just wanted to point that out.

7 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

I've tried that still the same laggy terrible game play. Just gonna stick to 2d I guess.

I have now gone into the Nvidia control panel and switched the output to the integrated graphics card and it's a lot smoother with little (if any) reduction in graphic quality. I guess SI and Nvidia will never be best buddies. 

You have to understand your symptoms guys do not sound like bad optimization. Something hardware related must be happening. Have to give reinstall and deletion of all confg files. Roll back or uninstall new drivers.
Something could went wrong with beta updating for you if it happened more after this. Clean install is always good way to start.

Bad optimization would meen a lot more people would have this problem. And having gtx 1080 it would not be so severe as this. Other option is somekind of conflict with Nvidia drivers and FM.
Has SI asked some logs from you to show?

Edited by saihtam