Football Manager 2020 Pre-Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

6 hours ago, bleventozturk said:

Way too many games with the better team ending with 25+ shots and the other team with no shots or only one or two. This was in FM 19 too. It just almost never happens irl, so common in FM.  I understand the lesser team playing with more defensive mentality, but still, it doesn't mean that they will not even attempt anything. What happened to beautiful counter attacking that I see in FM 17?

Some stats (number of shots) from today's games where one side was significantly stronger:

Liverpool: 17 Genk: 6

Napoli: 24 Salzburg: 11

Barcelona:12 Prag: 4 (this would for sure be a Barcelona 32 Prag 0 shots game in FM)

Yeah this traditionally mostly comes down to AI as well as human Management. The AI is oft very often not much trying, simply out to spoil and Keep Things tight. That said, I don't agree with the Notion that a side, in particular on FM, was significantly stronger just because it had a lot more shots by the end of the match. :D 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, srvngrc said:

You're right this is beta but the team had a lot of time to work on it. In betas, usually minor and uncommon problems occur. The game has been tested before beta release of course and I think some bugs are very very obvious. (one on ones, number of shots, long pass accuracy etc.) I've only played a few matches, but I've seen them. There's no way the team didn't see it i think. On the other hand 3d graphics issue is another big issue. It's almost 1 week from release and we're still waiting for a solution.

9 hours ago, srvngrc said:

I’m not waiting a hotfix for ME.  I’m just waiting a hotfix for graphics issue because these “bug” makes the game unplayable and i can not test the “beta” enough. My PC’s fans are about to break. Btw i can play COD, Battlefield, Fifa without any problem.

I'm having to play in 2D because of the graphics issue, I remember it took a while to get sorted in 19, just gotta hang in there I guess.

8 hours ago, Ghost77 said:

Will try to ask again. Guys, please, is there a possibility to filter male and female staff on advanced search in Beta? Thx!

No

hace 6 horas, jckl dijo:

I understand pressing is important part of football, but why we even have options for creating legit tactic, when as long as u press magic button for counterpress, increase urgency of pressing and push defensive line atleast to higher, your team is instantly superior towards others. Its so annoying to play always the same thing because other options are simply just weaker. This needs to get changed.

I have observed that as well in FM19 and now in FM20. I haven't managed  to build an effective defensive/counter tactic that I feel proud off. I have tried, read the tactics forums, I have managed to get some good results tweaking  a lot but with the same team, if I switch to a top heavy one like 4-2-3-1, with positive/attacking mentality with high def line and pressing I instantly get better performances and win more games. When I play with a mentality lower than balanced, I feel dominated the whole game and it's just a matter of time when one of the multiple chances against me ends it a goal.

I myself enjoy more pressing and attacking teams/tactics in real life, but sometimes I wonder if they are overpowered in the game and the most efficient way to win consistently or if it's just me that I'm not able to develop defensive tactics. Maybe it's just that as it's not my preferred play style or related to the players I sign as well, as I can't resist to buy technical/skilled players that are probably not a good fit for defensive tactics.

It will be my goal for FM20 to play defensively as I feel like cheating when i switch back to a pressing/offensive one and start winning games with the same players.

39 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

Maybe i am the first person to post here who hasn't had the issue, which is why its important to raise these issues as bugs when they happen in your saves. To get partnerships fast you need to be doing certain things consistently.

There we go Sept.

1717901226_Screenshot2019-11-06at2_19_40PM.thumb.png.95511083c5d41c7eb2c5437b035e3100.png

Are they relationships that developed or were already hardcoded?

I had one relationship that never changed on my save that was hardcoded and zero that have developed with in the save. 

I opened a thread rẻ this in the bugs forum, it got no replies or anything. 

24 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

I had one relationship that never changed on my save that was hardcoded and zero that have developed with in the save. 

Ive used the same formation/tactic and almost the same side and I'm in February and the only relationships i have are the trio of Lacazette, Aubameyang and Ozil who were there from the start.

Edited by SortitoutsiVP

1 minute ago, SortitoutsiVP said:

Ive used the same formation/tactic and almost the same side and I'm in February and the only relationships i have are the trio of Lacazette, Aubameyang and Ozil who were there from the start.

Yeah, I'm in December and my centre half pairing have played together all season so far, and don't even have an 'orange' line between them. I'm not sure if this has been changed or is just a bug. 

I have to say I'm really struggling with the match engine in this beta. The scores and match stats are all realistic enough but it's how the engine is getting there that's the problem. Every game is the same. Worldies from 30 yards, endless balls over the top for both sides with the defences sleeping, and players shooting from ridiculous angles when running from wide positions. There's very little logic to what's going on, on the pitch. I really do hope the release ME is several versions ahead of this one. 

Perhaps players who are asked to press hard and play at a faster attacking tempo are not fatiguing enough? I could see FM players using Gegenpress a little more judiciously and with prudence if there was a larger drawback on stamina during the matches and after when it comes to recovery. At the moment, I agree with several posts above. It's just set it and forget it. I would personally love to see the effects of fatigue cranked up a notch.

Edited by rain94

As someone who's playing FM19 at the moment, some questions/observations:

- It concerns me that goals from long shots and 1v1s are being treated as new issues.. Granted, they sound more extreme, but these were very obvious problems in FM19. My concern is, if they're still there in FM20, either the dev team haven't spotted it or just can't/won't fix it. 

Questions:

- Has the bug where 2 or 3 players end up within a few yards of each other while pressing been fixed? I'm surprised more wasn't made of this in 19, but pressing was very unrealistic, haven't heard anything about it in 20?

- Do defenders still stupidly head a ball straight towards an opposition player when not heading it would be a far better option?

46 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

That could be possible I know some of these players already have pre existing partnerships which is why the more saves the devs have the better. The devs could be mistaken for all you know.

8 hours ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

What are you finding you got out of the AMC?  I switched away from my diamond formation because the AMC wasn't contributing anything other than the odd shot from distance.

I'm using two Mezzela and one DLP (D) in the middle of them. AMC feeds the wing backs and false 9 very well. Instructions: Tackle harder, mark tighter, shorter passing, shoot less often, move into channels, roam from position. Team: overlap both wings, work ball into box, focus play through the middle, fairly narrow attacking width, much higher defensive line, use offside trap, narrow defensive width.

13 minutes ago, bobbyb12345 said:

As someone who's playing FM19 at the moment, some questions/observations:

- It concerns me that goals from long shots and 1v1s are being treated as new issues.. Granted, they sound more extreme, but these were very obvious problems in FM19. My concern is, if they're still there in FM20, either the dev team haven't spotted it or just can't/won't fix it. 

So true. Many times in FM19 my top scorer was a box to box midfielder.

1 hour ago, Icy said:

I have observed that as well in FM19 and now in FM20. I haven't managed  to build an effective defensive/counter tactic that I feel proud off. I have tried, read the tactics forums, I have managed to get some good results tweaking  a lot but with the same team, if I switch to a top heavy one like 4-2-3-1, with positive/attacking mentality with high def line and pressing I instantly get better performances and win more games. When I play with a mentality lower than balanced, I feel dominated the whole game and it's just a matter of time when one of the multiple chances against me ends it a goal.

I myself enjoy more pressing and attacking teams/tactics in real life, but sometimes I wonder if they are overpowered in the game and the most efficient way to win consistently or if it's just me that I'm not able to develop defensive tactics. Maybe it's just that as it's not my preferred play style or related to the players I sign as well, as I cannot resist to buy technical/skilled players that are probably not a good fit for defensive tactics.

It will be my goal for FM20 to play defensively as I feel like cheating when i switch back to a pressing/offensive one and start winning games with the same players.

counter attacking has issues within ME. in FM19 eventhough AMLRs didn't track back enough for opposition FBs, counters never happened. from what i've seen so far this didn't change much in FM20. in real football there would be dozens of counters attacks every game with such strange behaviour in wide areas. then there's  another issue, that more defensive mentalities are possession minded.

I have played around 1 1/2 season with Cobh Ramblers and my 2 DCs have developed a partnership, albeit a bad one.
The rest of the team have pretty much been the same as well but no other partnherships have developed.
Could very well be an issue there.

I am so happy at how smooth the game is like i mean clicking from one page to another and that horrible calendar lag when processing has gone so and now is so smooth and quick i am playing with like 25 nations on and 100'000 players and is zipping thought so SI have done a good job on that but it is just the match engine again that is letting us down it is so jerky and laggy 

Edited by jckc221013jamie

31 minutes ago, roykela said:

I have played around 1 1/2 season with Cobh Ramblers and my 2 DCs have developed a partnership, albeit a bad one.
The rest of the team have pretty much been the same as well but no other partnherships have developed.
Could very well be an issue there.

Does the game actually tell you there's a bad partnership between them?

Just now, bigmattb28 said:

Does the game actually tell you there's a bad partnership between them?

Not literally. It says they have played fairly poorly when paired and are not a good partnership in their selected roles.

1173634063_Merknad2019-11-06104506.jpg.25669380ebfc74c88f56a8936f1d3660.jpg

5 minutes ago, roykela said:

Not literally. It says they have played fairly poorly when paired and are not a good partnership in their selected roles.

Whoah!!! Is that new or something I've never known about? That's cool as 

7 minutes ago, roykela said:

That's a good touch, don't think if it was in 19 I noticed it.

In 10 years when we are nostalgic about old wonderkids that could've been, lets talk about Ansu Fati. Guy had one good game, then showed composure only worsened by Rashford. Absolute monster in FM 20.

Edited by Rehnzz

3 hours ago, Icy said:

Same here, over the years I've tried lower mentalities, attack duty's up top all the stuff that makes sense in game & would get savaged, frustrated & give up 

Last year was my longest running career in some years & I saw way more counters on an Attacking mentality without Counter selected. As soon as I won the ball deep the team would snap forward because of the team mentality & if the opposition had committed too many men forward, it was on. I wish Johnny Ace from a few years back would've figured that out :D   

Re: The Gengen Press, a Youtuber I watch, just default gengens & becomes a success. He admits he's awful at tactics & doesn't want to waste time learning them, he'll change roles from the defaults that makes no sense & takes a team from non-league to Champions league in 15 years. Fair play on him, he enjoys himself & is entertaining but the game shouldn't be like that

Even Klopp only used it for brief periods in games, it wasn't constant high lines, high pressing for 90 mins, because it comes with huge stamina penalties & it's high risk football 

Edited by Johnny Ace

Just now, Johnny Ace said:

Same here, over the years I've tried lower mentalities, attack duty's up top all the stuff that makes sense in game & would get savaged, frustrated & give up

If you consider the current flaws/quirks of the ME, playing with a lower line and inviting pressure to counter-attack (probably with pacey forwards) is exceptionally inefficient. One-on-ones are not being converted anywhere near enough and attacking players don't utilise team-mates effectively in attacking overload situations (namely square balls across the box). Furthermore, long-shots are overpowered, so sitting with a deep defensive line and lower line of engagement just allows the AI to take shots until they inevitably score. With these in mind, why would you play anything other than gegenspress/tiki-taka? Managing in Singapore I still ended up playing a high press because camping your CMs outside the opposition box gets you goals and wins. Who cares when they break, they're not gonna score the one-on-one anyway.

I hate playing like this, I want multiple styles to be effective. I tried my usual Dafuge Challenge save this year and stacked my team with pace. So much pace, all over the pitch, two incredible strikers for the level, great wingers, CMs who could pass. I sat deeper and countered hard. I'd get 4-5 one-on-ones a match, the football was devastatingly effective. Except I didn't score and the opposition beat me 1-0, 2-0 every week from long-shots. I started a journeyman save and took over in Singapore and playing gegenspress I've had an invincible season with my CMs outscoring my "Star player for the division" Striker. I've played this game for a long time, and I can make a decent tactics, but this ME does not allow for different styles and it's heartbreaking. I truly hope it can be improved for release because for now I've left my save on hiatus.

1 hour ago, pats said:

The ME just feels arcade like instead of simulation at the moment. Same patterns being repeated over and over again regardless of players, tactics, stats, moral, reputation etc.. Difficult to get into a serious save at the moment due to these issues. Everything else in the FM 2020 is great but for me tactics and ME are most important so I'll just wait for either the full release with ME update or the ME patch. I don't want to cheat or beat the ME, I play FM to try different tactics and style of football I like to see. It's not possible to enjoy at the moment due to same patterns being repeated by ME in every freaking save

This. Could not agree more. Constant patterns regardless of what style of football you are playing.

Anyone scored 1v1 yet? I think it should be made an achievement :lol: Finished my season with Malaga and despite having countless chances to score 1v1 vs a goalkeeper, every single one of them was saved. Ok my strikers are probably not the best in the world but I feel the conversion ratio of 30 yard screamers is bigger.

1 minute ago, Dovydas said:

Anyone scored 1v1 yet? I think it should be made an achievement :lol: Finished my season with Malaga and despite having countless chances to score 1v1 vs a goalkeeper, every single one of them was saved. Ok my strikers are probably not the best in the world but I feel the conversion ratio of 30 yard screamers is bigger.

I've had 3/4 scored that I can remember, over a season. Maybe double that conceded.

Won 4-1 in my last match with both teams scoring one.

About director initiating signings

So i have been setting my staff responsibilities so that my director can iniatiate signings for young players while i finalize the signings.

However, twice now ( partially because of my own ignorance ) i have confirmed signings of players who looked like good prospects, only to realize they are NonEU and take my very competitive 1 NonEU slot per season.

Would it be possible to implement a setting for the director to stick to some criteria, like not signing NonEu players ?

7 minutes ago, Dovydas said:

Loads

There's obviously something wrong with the amount of them being created in the ME at the moment, any tactic I'm using isn't exploiting that. I keep all of my lines at Standard or Lower, I had a look last night in the analysis & I'd scored a good 90% of CCC's created, my top scorers are the AF(A) & IF(A), my midfield have a handful between them  

I've asked a bunch of times here & no one answered, what are people doing to get all these long shots & missed 1 on 1's? I tried a default gengen & pulled that d-line back within 30 seconds :D 

10 hours ago, jckl said:

I understand pressing is important part of football, but why we even have options for creating legit tactic, when as long as u press magic button for counterpress, increase urgency of pressing and push defensive line atleast to higher, your team is instantly superior towards others. Its so annoying to play always the same thing because other options are simply just weaker. This needs to get changed.

10 hours ago, bleventozturk said:

Agreed. This is actually related to what I was saying about the imbalance in shots / stronger teams absolutely dominating weaker ones. When you play more attacking, more pressing style, there is no threat from the other team to punish you. A few times in some ME builds SI got it closer to real life (in early builds of FM 19 for example I was able to play defensive and hit the stronger teams with high pressing style on counter attacks and punish them), but towards the 19.3 match engine this kept getting worse, going in the wrong direction. Too bad it is still there in FM 20. 

Tactical gurus on here with do their best to convince you that pressing absolutely isn't overpowered, because that would kinda destroy the whole point of creating well thought-out tactics, but yes, you're absolutely right. It's way too lethal and not exploited nearly enough. AI simply isn't smart enough to find logical ways out of the press, it doesn't have the depth to say "oh, they're pushing up high, let's switch to a Target Man, Route One and Higher Tempo". And not only that, pressing effects on the stamina and how much of Team Cohesion/Tactical Familiarity they need to be executed correctly are WAY too low.

18 hours ago, Mr U Rosler said:

The 2019 Beta ME vs the full release ME were night and day last year.

I suspect they are already working on a version of the Match Engine several iterations ahead of this one.

I think the 'BETA' element refers more to general playability and bug spotting in the game OUTSIDE of the Match Engine.

The idea that something as complex as the Match Engine can be rebuilt based on 2 weeks worth of feedback from users in a non-controlled environment is a fallacy.

I'm sure the Match Engine on full release will be much better balanced. 

I'd be very surprised if SI can make everyone happy before 19/11. My experience playing FM for 20+ years is that we wont see a night and day difference at this stage of development, more likely a few very subtle changes to refine what we already have. Which is fine by the way! There is nothing else which is anywhere near as complex, realistic and engaging.

I do hope we see some subtle changes to a few key areas such as 1 on 1 conversion rate, long shot goals, long cross field passes and my personal favourite more THROUGH BALLS, this will make me a lot happier with the current ME than I am now.

Pressing is overpowered in real life if executed right. You can target man like your life depended on it, if you are pressed right you will lose 9-0 to leicester or 7-2 to Bayern.

I understand and agree it makes the game quite one-dimensional, but Burnley isn't going to win any titles any time soon with their soak pressure and long ball tactic.

The best teams press.

So do you want a realistic game or a modified reality that attends your needs ?

Edited by Rehnzz

1 minute ago, Rehnzz said:

Pressing is overpowered in real life if executed right. You can target man like your life depended on it, if you are pressed right you will lose 9-0 to leicester or 7-2 to Bayern.

That's fine, what isn't fine is that you can implement a heavy pressing system at every level of football in FM and it'll be equally effective. You can tell part-timers or amateurs to press heavily all game and they'll maybe drop into 60% condition after 90 minutes.

1 minute ago, endtime said:

That's fine, what isn't fine is that you can implement a heavy pressing system at every level of football in FM and it'll be equally effective. You can tell part-timers or amateurs to press heavily all game and they'll maybe drop into 60% condition after 90 minutes.

Yeah i agree on that. I remember in FM 18 i had to sub my wingbacks every game due to their movement and intensity.

The effectiveness of the pressing is fine, but i totally agree it should have more consequences over 90 minutes and long-term on injuries

7 minutes ago, DiStru_ said:

AI simply isn't smart enough to find logical ways out of the press

And yet time and time again we see people with aggressive pressing tactics having umpteen shots unable to score, losing to an AI team who have one or two shots and grab a goal.

5 minutes ago, Rehnzz said:

I understand and agree it makes the game quite one-dimensional, but Burnley isn't going to win any titles any time soon with their soak pressure and long ball tactic.

The best teams press.

So do you want a realistic game or a modified reality that attends your needs ?

Leicester won a league title off of sitting back

Burnley qualified for Europe playing 4-4-2 sit back football

The Stoke & Bolton's of old over achieved too

Southampton & Tottenham both shot themselves in the foot. Soton with 10 men & losing where throwing men forward & Spurs' defense absolutely crumbled  

Comparing real life & FM doesn't really work, high pressing for 90mins every game would have the players in bits 

Am I the only one not having an issue with 1v1s? Admittedly from a small sample size, my strikers have a greater than 50% conversion rate in these situations. Which is fine by me. I do not expect every single 1v1 to be a goal. I'm also not having too many issues with the behaviour of wide players (I saw someone above complaining IF and IW are too narrow, when that is what they are meant to do.). Their behaviour is more sensible than in FM19. Fewer crosses into defenders when passing options are available. The crosses I do get are typically more dangerous. The only issue I have found is FBs being offside too often, which needs a little touch. I doubt I will have games with 100 cross attempts in FM20, which is a good thing.

I do find the long ball over the top is a bit weird at the moment. Actually it is the reaction time of the defenders relative to the striker that is causing the issue. They are not reacting in time. Almost as if they are trying to play offside by default. I'd like to see the defenders react slightly quicker to be sure.

Long cross field passes are also too frequent, as many point out. Although you can mitigate this by selecting less risky passes for the players you do not want to be doing this.

Long shots. I have scored a few of these, but they aren't 40 yard screamers in my case. They are from players with time and space on the edge of the box, and with a clear shooting lane. Normally this is when I want to have players take a shot. I have not actually looked at how many goals vs attempts I get from long shots (I will try to keep tabs). To me it feels more a problem of the defenders not covering space outside the box efficiently, or making poor decisions about who to close down and which gaps to close. Not so much a problem with the shots themselves. Defensive reactions seem a little off overall in several aspects of the game.

Oh and let me once more moan about how hideous the contract and transfer negotiation screens are.

51 minutes ago, Dovydas said:

Yes, I've had Danny Ings, Shane Long and Michael Obefami all convert 1v1's in the beta.

31 minutes ago, herne79 said:

And yet time and time again we see people with aggressive pressing tactics having umpteen shots unable to score, losing to an AI team who have one or two shots and grab a goal.

And yet year after year the most powerful tactics seem to use the most illogical and unrealistic combinations of instructions and roles, without any punishment.

Just watched an FM 20 streamer the other day. Napoli, 4-1-2-2-1 (4-1-4-1 DM), Attacking mentality, CF, 2x RMD, MEZ, 2x attacking WB. Including More Urgent Pressing and Counter-Press, of course. If you posted that tactic on here, you'd get told it's not defensively-sound enough, yet he finished 2nd in his first Serie A season (despite most goals scored and least conceded) and won it in the second. Because of how effective and easy to make work the high pressing is, he simply doesn't have to worry about the defence. :lol:

Of course, Napoli is a good side as it is, so that doesn't prove much, but I really don't see how anyone can argue that pressing isn't too effective in FM. Fair enough, they added new defensive instructions last year, so some unbalance was to be expected, but I expected them to tweak it this year. I can't handle another year where Counter-Press, More Urgent Pressing and a High Defensive Line seem like a cheat.

Edited by DiStru_

indeed, Napoli would be capable of doing that controlled with a default AI tactic too.

There are many ways you can get away with a very offensive team. 2 WB's complemented by a Libero set on AT for example, will always leave you with bodies back but involvement going forward. 

I ended up 2nd as Brescia last season, playing slow possession-based tactic with " Regroup "  Hold shape "

This season i am 3rd after doing a 180 and turning to gegenpress with blitz counters. But with the same tactical system.

I'm not great with tactics and individual instructions and such, i can only conclude that my team is a top 3 team in Italy wether or not i rely on the pressing.

While i agree Brescia shouldn't be up there, it comes down to transfers, not relying on an abused tactic.

Maybe it's the system just sitting well on the pitch.

If anything, i'd say the game is just too beatable in general

fm_DLfZxtlJ2F.png

Edited by Rehnzz

3 hours ago, Mitja said:

counter attacking has issues within ME. in FM19 eventhough AMLRs didn't track back enough for opposition FBs, counters never happened. from what i've seen so far this didn't change much in FM20. in real football there would be dozens of counters attacks every game with such strange behaviour in wide areas. then there's  another issue, that more defensive mentalities are possession minded.

This, 100%.