Football Manager 2020 Pre-Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

16 minutes ago, Bakiano said:

Fullbacks are a little overpowered. I have seen it also a lot of time my fullbacks getting higher ratings. And they are included in the game almost all the time. In one game I had about 800 completed passes, one fullback had about 130 passes and other one about 120. Midfielder had less than 90 passes. Striker just 22...

I keep seeing my full backs getting caught in possession, around 4 times a game.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

ok enough.

@pats If your observations about the ME lead you to believe something isn't working properly, the best thing you can do now is start a bug report in the ME Bugs forum.  There are threads pinned to the top of that forum explaining how to raise a bug report and what information is required.

I think people just wanted to pick you up on your "The ME is coded to find the players in space" statement.  Obviously only SI know how the ME is coded, the rest of us can only assume, but like I say if that's your observation then the bugs forum is the place for you :thup:.

Out of interest what is a PKM, and would I be able to access a past match and get one for it, so i could show the bug forums something that I think needs working on or do I need to create it in the middle of the match itself?

Right, I've played up til October and these are my thoughts.

• Goalkeepers are much better, but still stand still on occasion watching the ball fly past them.
  • Wingers cutting the ball back too much, rather than playing a square ball into the 'corridor of uncertainty'
  • The Nvidia issue is starting to annoy, but I'm sure SI will fix it.
  • I still see some kit clashes. RKC vs PEC Zwolle especially.

But the absolute worst thing is that you can't change your club vision at the beginning of your stint. So you can only accede to the board's demands, rather than add your own.

2 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

But the absolute worst thing is that you can't change your club vision at the beginning of your stint. So you can only accede to the board's demands, rather than add your own.

But I think it is correct way also. You are manager without any experience so why should the club listen for your demands that are so big on scale.
I hope more that when playing journamn save and then joining clubs it will take to account of your achivments and can change more things in future.

11 minutes ago, decapitated said:

Out of interest what is a PKM, and would I be able to access a past match and get one for it, so i could show the bug forums something that I think needs working on or do I need to create it in the middle of the match itself?

It's all explained in the ME section of the bugs forum. :thup:

Only mad result I've seen in my game so far ... Sheffield Utd trying to outdo Southampton:

image.thumb.png.dea8498c127ea0f6f03de6979892e22b.png

An unlikely result, but as we had a 9-0, not totally beyond the bounds of possibility for the EPL (though not with those teams).

54 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

If it's a common issue with all the strikers and happens every game and a lot of people are complaining about it, then pkms are pointless.
It's not some specific action or passing sequence that leads to sketchy stuff, but something that happens every game.

The only thing I should upload is literally the whole save so you guys can watch every single game and count the missed sitters. But you can make a save of your own and sim games for that.

Of course pkms are needed for the ME team to draw their own conclusions from your subjective opinion. If no one shares pkms, then they wouldn't be able to pinpoint if the "complaints" derive from 

1 tactical instructions and role combinations

2 actual bugs 

3 user's misperception of the occurring events. 

It is clear that you have misunderstood the purpose of the pre-release beta. It is not for you to recieve the final game early, it is actually SI reaching out to the community to get help to further improve the game before the release. 

If you aren't able to agree on those terms and rather help than rant, I suggest that you wait until the game is out. 

Edited by MarcusCarl

12 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I've flagged it in my own bug reports but my first issue is the potentially high number of one on ones, predominantly coming because defenders are too slow to deal with long balls. Finishing may well need a tweak, but that would be my first port of call

This sounds slightly like an issue from FM10ish which back then apparently wasn't picked up in testing. Only later on when user tactics produced such chances at an alarming rate (and were oft denied). Basically, there was a split between the CBs, which opened a channel for through balls bang through the middle. One fix was it to fix that split. This reduced the amount of central one on ones. However, whilst it was acknowledged by PaulC that he considered the Forward in the disadvantage and the keeper typically in a strong Position compared to other chances (damn Right!),  he had also acknowledged that there was an issue with the keeper reach being to large.

Would love to see a Long-term stat over the entire seaon btw. Over a Variety of one on ones, the conversion should hover around the 33% range. Some will inevitably be more difficult, some easier. Anything much higher would be a Fantasy (e.g. Long shots FM 19)). :D For instance, when Salzburg played Zenit in the CL more recent, they had two on on one situations close to the final whistle (both wasted). The typical xG for a one on one hovers around the 0.3 range -- this two combined were awarded 0.5 xg by Between The Posts. One on one conversion ratios are amonst the most common misconceptions due to their dramatic nature. Unlike much in footie, it's two men engaged in a direct duel, high noon, a bullet ball -- and only one of them will come out alive victorious. That said, there's very few stuff you should bet on the Forward on scoring in General. Sitters, eh. :D 

edit: That the ME isn't coded to "Balance Things out", e.g. unrealistic conversions so that scorelines would Keep in check could be seen early FM 2015 the most apparent. ;) Reports of hockey scorelines were all over the place. In GD this was mostly attributed to keepers being useless as a Change in Forwards suck narrtive. :D What it was was something else completely, namely advanced Players when given an attack Duty basically not defending at all.

Edited by Svenc

46 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

If it's a common issue with all the strikers and happens every game and a lot of people are complaining about it, then pkms are pointless.
It's not some specific action or passing sequence that leads to sketchy stuff, but something that happens every game.

The only thing I should upload is literally the whole save so you guys can watch every single game and count the missed sitters. But you can make a save of your own and sim games for that.

pkms aren't pointless, they're the entire point.  And the more examples the devs have the better to help them isolate common themes.

But if you don't want to that's fine, it's your choice.  Hopefully others will.

1 minute ago, MarcusCarl said:

Of course pkms are needed for the ME team to draw their own conclusions from your subjective opinion. If no one shares pkms, then they wouldn't be able to pinpoint if the "complaints" derive from 

1 tactical instructions and roke combinations

2 actual bugs 

3 user's misperception of the occurimg events. 

It is clear that you have misunderstood the purpose of the pre-rekease beta. It is not for you to recieve the final game early, it is actually SI reaching out to the community to get help to further improve the game before the release. 

If you aren't able to agree on those terms and rather help than rant, I suggest that you wait until the game is out. 

Even more to the point, I would expect the ME team can load the PKMs into software that exposes all the variables, so that that they can see why it's behaving as it is, not just how it appears on screen.

My thoughts on the game so far. I have just reached January of the first season, started with Man Utd:

1. Long Shots. I am scoring quite a lot of my goals from long shots. My striker seems unable to score if he has a one on one, but give it to a midfielder 30 yards out and he will find the top corner. Not sure where in FM i find out where my goals are scored from? I'm sure there used to be a bit where you could look and see.

2. Crosses. Non-existent. The amount of times my full-back gets into a good crossing position then cuts the ball back is stupid. I do not have work the ball into the box active. I know in FM19 crosses were critisised, seems to me it has gone far to far the other way now.

Other than those two things I am loving it at the moment.

57 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

PKMs are not pointless. They contain match code that SI can look at. This is exactly why they want PKMs, because they can actually examine that specific example and the context. Feels like you're more intent with arguing with Herne than raising an issue. There is no point in uploading gifs at all. If people are going upload anything re match engine, it needs to PKMs, which are a) useful and b) actually much quicker. You don't have to, but if you're going to, thats the way to do it

Just now, rp1966 said:

Even more to the point, I would expect the ME team can load the PKMs into software that exposes all the variables, so that that they can see why it's behaving as it is, not just how it appears on screen.

Absolutely this. They aren't trying to make people jump through hoops, it's because that tiny file actually contains load of crucial information about that example in the match engine

Hello to everyone,

I installed the beta yesterday. I`m using a pc with Windows 7. 

But I have to say that for me this version is not playable. Almost all picklists are empty and if I want to start a career i get an error "Can`t load database".

Greetings from a player from Germany

2 hours ago, dangngo6 said:

typical FM every year, work 3 or 4 time the opponent but the goal diffirent is not so much. They have zero clear chance and they score 2 goals, very funny, you need to balance this stat SI

20191104180702_1.jpg

That should depend. I don't like the in-game CCCs for judging such. They oft pick up on stuff that is reasonably hard, and sometimes fail to pick up on stuff that is fairly regularly converted. As soon as an Opposition sits Deep to spoil, teams will have a load of / more shots and chances by Definition. It's a simple byproduct of tactical picks. It then may and should come down to what is actually going on. Shot doesn't equal shot. Otherwise, parking the bus or counter attacking in this game were useless. Plus, in individual Matches, anything can happen either way. If those Goals were scored from the reported Long balls to the Forward or wonder strikes, this may be fixed some if it's a semi-regular occurance though.

Edited by Svenc

28 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

PKMs are not pointless. They contain match code that SI can look at. This is exactly why they want PKMs, because they can actually examine that specific example and the context. Feels like you're more intent with arguing with Herne than raising an issue. There is no point in uploading gifs at all. If people are going upload anything re match engine, it needs to PKMs, which are a) useful and b) actually much quicker. You don't have to, but if you're going to, thats the way to do it

You're completely missing what I'm getting at, but whatever.
PKMs are really useful for actual issues which are tied to passes, positioning and whatnot that's tied to specific tactics/instructions.
Me uploading PKMs is as useful as someone at SI just simming a save and then checking out games 1 by 1 only to see one sitter after another being squandered game in and game out.
I'm not arguing with anyone, btw.

Really liking the loan manager with his regular reports, I'm already more interested in my loans than previously.

Am now starting to notice more issues like others in ME with the amount one-on-ones, the long shot Issue I can sort of see it, I seem to notice a little ball inside > first time shot > back of net, regularly, but the biggest issue for me with ME is kick-off, it's like they've all got bet on for first throw-in:D, on the plus side I'm not having striker issues and am still seeing enough variety in types of goals. Also my wide men have the ability to drop a shoulder(slight exaggeration) and beat their man and cross/pull back, wouldn't mind seeing more of this.

• SI Staff
3 hours ago, duesouth said:

Not sure if this is something that SI would be willing to change - or we would need to wait on the Editor to be released.

The San Marino Challenge relies on a Sammarinese team playing in the Italian league system.  Until now, it has been San Marino Calcio, but the club seems to have had ground and financial problems and is now a new club - Cattolica Calcio San Marino.

While in game they are classed as a Sammarinese club - someone checked the youth intake and they were all Italian.  They play their games in Italy (Cattolica), which seems to be the driver for the nationality of the youth intake.

I don't know if SI would be willing to change this?  They aren't playable, so it means holidaying and reloading until they get promoted, but the challenge won't work with mainly Italian youth intakes.  In real life, they would attract the best under 16 players in San Marino, so I would believe this to be a realistic change, and in line with a club like Croatia Berlin.

Thank you for your consideration.

Would be worth posting about this here please - https://community.sigames.com/forum/696-football-manager-2020-pre-release-beta-bug-forum/

3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Me uploading PKMs is as useful as someone at SI just simming a save and then checking out games 1 by 1 only to see one sitter after another being squandered game in and game out.

Not really, because it could be something that a random tactic wont show, only your selected version.

I'm not really seeing any issue with finishing on my end, but that might be down to my tactics "covering up" an issue. That's why users with issues should upload their own examples. You know, since it could be several issues showing up as one. It would be a shame for you if SI fixed the issue, but as it turns out, your issue are a separate one from the one they fixed.

I can't really understand the aversion against uploading when you are having issues while playing a beta. You know, a version meant for that exact purpose...?

What may be useful also: Drop that sitter stuff. Outside of the match commentary aping all this bad / sensationalist commentary , the game has never suscribed to it on any release and even when stuff is fixed likely never will. At chances regularly converted at a 20% Ratio, you would already be approaching what studies consider as bigger chances, btw.

Edited by Svenc

Into my second season, end of August in the Scottish leagues so played a fair few matches already second season. 

My thoughts are, firstly...

giphy.gif

...brilliant!

Secondly though, I do seem to be scoring 2/3 goals a game that are offside. My wingers are RMD's and maybe they are rubbish at keeping onside but it does seem odd to consistently happen.

Also my wing backs seem to score a worldie from miles (and I do mean miles) out every 4-5 games.

Just some observations, love the game though.

On the whole, it's a lot better than FM19

In the game, there is a wide range of transfer and back in attack, just like the real game. The engine of FM19 is more single.

It has increased the figure of lawn and improved the figure quality, which is very good

However, after the physical strength of the players decreased, the speed of running, the quality of passing and shooting did not decrease.

On bad lawns, on snow, on rainy days, football should have resistance on the lawns,

When football is played on these fields,

Football should slow down and change direction.

I don't know when the engine will increase these physical phenomena?

11 minutes ago, XaW said:

I can't really understand the aversion against uploading when you are having issues while playing a beta. You know, a version meant for that exact purpose...?

I don't have an aversion against uploading if it the game is crashing or there are bugs, obvious issues with positioning or such stuff.
I uploaded various stuff before.

And if you read carefully, you'd see that I wrote about AI also missing most of their sitters.
I'm playing very high defensive line and never get punished. When I played against Juve, Cristiano missed three absolutely clear sitters against me.
And I wrote about no striker in top league having more than 0.5 goals per game without penalties.

I'll just upload the whole save when I get home later, so they can watch every single game.

i dont have any problem with long shot, can create chance and score inside the box mostly.
Really like this year fix the stupid crossing to corner, invert winger and inside foward ACTUALLY cut inside and pass the ball inside, not just cross and get block for no reason
But defender long pass seem unrealistic, they passing long over the field too much and the quality of those pass are insanely accurate @@

16 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I don't have an aversion against uploading if it the game is crashing or there are bugs, obvious issues with positioning or such stuff.
I uploaded various stuff before.

And if you read carefully, you'd see that I wrote about AI also missing most of their sitters.
I'm playing very high defensive line and never get punished. When I played against Juve, Cristiano missed three absolutely clear sitters against me.
And I wrote about no striker in top league having more than 0.5 goals per game without penalties.

I'll just upload the whole save when I get home later, so they can watch every single game.

You're completely missing the point. Seriously.

Whether it's human or AI, it's the same ME for everyone. IF there are issues with anything (taking something like 1 v 1s as an example) it should affect both, yes. Whether it's a clear bug or something not quite clear cut, PKMs are equally appreciated. You're not forced to, but it helps. It helps the testers with their job, the coders getting to issues quicker and ultimately helps us as we get these issues ironed out.

PKMs are really useful for actual issues which are tied to passes, positioning and whatnot that's tied to specific tactics/instructions.

This is what I'm getting at. Look at it this way - you posting PKMs with 1 v 1 examples (even if they're obvious and you could get it by "just simming") saves the testers to look up those examples. Their time can now be spent rather logging those "easy" examples and then looking for the more complicated or obscure bugs. It helps. 

Uploading a save and saying "Here. You look through all the matches and find them yourself" isn't helpful at all.  Testers are doing that anyway - it's their job. It's the examples that they're after and they need a lot of examples for every issue so that all (or most) situations are covered.

32 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Don't do that.  Although kinda weird you're willing to do that but not drag & drop a pkm file into a new post.

Anyway you've given your feedback, you've been asked to start a bug report with pkms but with all your responses (which have taken far longer than starting a bug report btw) it's clear you don't want to do that, so don't.  Free choice, nobody is forcing you.

@XaW @themadsheep2001@HUNT3R @anyone else, you're wasting your time, let him be.

Having felt a little underwhelmed by FM over the last couple of years, I am really enjoying my game with Birmingham City atm. The game feels slicker than last years and I love the new additions, particularly the board expectations and playing time option.. I get that the abundance of 1 on 1 chances being missed is a little annoying but hopefully SI get this sorted quickly. Keep up the good work guys.

Firstly want to say I'm loving the game - big upgrade on 19 imo. 

Finished my 1st season with Man Utd - finished 4th which considering the signings (van de beek, partey, belotti, selke) doesn't seem to unreasonable.

Apart from the one strange result (7-6 against Newcastle if you missed my other post) no major issues.

Centre forwards miss to many 1-1s and annoyingly never square it when a team mate would have an open goal.

Rashford was the Prems top scorer with 26 goals from the left wing. 

Pogba wanted a promise of champions League football which we achieved yet is telling me I've broken his promise - which is annoying!

Won the Europa League 5-0 in the final against Seville as well!

tatih Chong is way too good and is my first choice right winger - mom in the Europa League final!

Overall loving it!

2 hours ago, Chris_Brujah said:

Hello to everyone,

I installed the beta yesterday. I`m using a pc with Windows 7. 

But I have to say that for me this version is not playable. Almost all picklists are empty and if I want to start a career i get an error "Can`t load database".

Greetings from a player from Germany

Have you installed through Steam?

On 01/11/2019 at 22:10, thomas_e said:

I am experiencing some lagging in the 3D engine. My computer is quite good and is running every game at decent graphics. This was a problem at FM19 as well, but there were some configurations that made it better. Anyone experiencing the same? 

I'm having the same problem.  I have an i7 4790k,  as well as a gtx 970 with the latest drivers installed.  It really shouldn't be lagging.

Graphics settings are selected as high as standard.

On 31/10/2019 at 23:21, Dagenham_Dave said:

I've still not played a match yet, in fact I've only just pressed continue on the first day. Thoughts so far. 

• The development centre is going to be my favourite feature on any FM ever. Love it already
  • Skin is nice, particularly the dark one
  • Delegation of tasks is a bit overwhelming, but once it's done, it's done. 
  • Running very smoothly so far
  • Don't like that there's no sidebar tabs for reserve/youth teams
  • Preferences will take some getting used to
  • Missing the bit in the boardroom screen where it tells you how many staff you can have for each role (although thats visible in the main staff screen)
  • Club vision is great, and the feedback screens that go along with it are extensive. Good addition. Will come into its own deep into a save (ie not now for me :lol: )
  • I love the assistant selection advice on the tactics page
  • Not found any bugs thus far, although I've only completed one day. 

Good work so far, enjoying it. 

I'm into November of my save so far. Too soon to comment on ME/tactics etc. But agree with the above. I really like the development centre, and other new features...

staff responsibility and preference screen have become more arduous. 

My laptop running very hot during matches. 

Not noticed any bugs. Seems like one of the best Beta we have had. 

Can someone please tell me jow to choose what position a player wil be training? I initially handed it to Assistant, but took  it back and while I can decide what focus will be on (from crossing to endurance in the dropdown options), i dont know what to click to choose the pitch position for the player. Clicking on his position on pitch  graphic doesnt do anything.

3 minutes ago, The Threadstarter said:

Can someone please tell me jow to choose what position a player wil be training? I initially handed it to Assistant, but took  it back and while I can decide what focus will be on (from crossing to endurance in the dropdown options), i dont know what to click to choose the pitch position for the player. Clicking on his position on pitch  graphic doesnt do anything.

I'm not in the game so going from memory, it's in the player's profile screen, individual training, on the left hand side you'll see the position he's training, you click on it & change it from there from the drop down menus  

6 hours ago, duesouth said:

Not sure if this is something that SI would be willing to change - or we would need to wait on the Editor to be released.

The San Marino Challenge relies on a Sammarinese team playing in the Italian league system.  Until now, it has been San Marino Calcio, but the club seems to have had ground and financial problems and is now a new club - Cattolica Calcio San Marino.

While in game they are classed as a Sammarinese club - someone checked the youth intake and they were all Italian.  They play their games in Italy (Cattolica), which seems to be the driver for the nationality of the youth intake.

I don't know if SI would be willing to change this?  They aren't playable, so it means holidaying and reloading until they get promoted, but the challenge won't work with mainly Italian youth intakes.  In real life, they would attract the best under 16 players in San Marino, so I would believe this to be a realistic change, and in line with a club like Croatia Berlin.

Thank you for your consideration.

If I'm not mistaken, this is something which can be easily fixed. Look for the Italian thread in the database beta issues forum and get it posted it in there. If that isn't sorted in time for release, which is not unreasonable given the level of priority, it's something which I believe can be quite easily sorted through editor data files :)

I surely wasn't going to end up buying it this year, but in the end I ended up buying it. I was just hoping that this is one of those extremely feature-wise underwhelming versions, where they just fixed a lot of stuff (esp. in the ME, last years was the worse in 10 years). And... they did! I'm having a lot of fun.
There's just one thing that still isn't fixed: Three strikers up front are massively OP, still are. If it wasn't for the AI using it and overachieving like never before, I wouldn't mind... but this kind of ruins my Serie A game (Lazio's doing that narrow 433 in most games... and they average 30 shots a game...).

Edited by Raniel3

• SI Staff
15 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

Was the decision to remove the 0.2 increments from attribute development graphs intentional, or is this a bug?

This was intentional as it was inconsistent with the display and feedback on attributes elsewhere.

Just now, Seb Wassell said:

This was intentional as it was inconsistent with the display and feedback on attributes elsewhere.

I feel it makes it harder to measure progress now Seb. If I now set an individual focus on a particular attribute that is, for example, 10; I now have no way of knowing if it is heading in the right direction towards 11, or at what rate (directional arrows aside)

Historically, if I could see it climb to 10.4, I know that he is on the right path. I think WorkTheSpace mentioned it as a backwards step in one of his videos.

2 hours ago, Nikopol said:

Don't have any issues with 1o1 chances being missed. Raul Jimenez has been absolutely lethal in 1o1 for me

That's interesting. If my memory serves me right, didn't Jimenez have low composure (<=10) in previous FMs? Has he received stats boost in this version? (I don't have access to FM right now). 

Edited by pats

I've been quite critical about some features of this years game on Twitter but that is just because I love it as a franchise. This year is nothing new in terms of things not working as they should but overall it is, from my experience anyway one of the better betas.

The ME definitely needs some refining (hopefully not before I have finished my current season as Coppinger is smashing in goals from all over the park) but that is the whole point of playing a beta in my opinion so I can live with that. 

I love being able to delegate hiring scouts and medical staff etc. to relevant backroom staff instead of just a blanket all to one approach. My DoF now feels as though he is fully in charge of the scouting setup.

One minor feature that I love more than I should is the medal news item showing which players get a medal for winning a cup. 

One negative that I will post here, the media aspect of the game needs a massive overhaul to make it more nuanced for overachieving 'smaller' clubs. When you're a team from Iceland in the group stages of the Champions League a 5 - 0 defeat away to PSG is not a humiliating defeat, especially if 80 minutes of it was us just a single goal behind. 

Can anyone go into detail on why the ME is better than FM19?  

My reading of reddit is that there is negative consensus and there are a lot of bugs (I know this is beta but the same set of bugs keep coming up e.g. one on ones which you would expect it was something known pre beta)