Football Manager 2021 Early Access Beta Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dronx said:

Good morning, can anyone answer me a question about beta please? 

Will my save be transferred to the full release or will it stay with that beta database? 

One thing worth mentioning: although the beta game will be playable on the general release version, certain fixes (especially changes to competition rules) may not take effect until a new game is started 

Guys this may be a stupid question but was there some sort of update yesterday? The 3 letter acronyms at match-day are gone and replaced by longer team names.

Worryingly for my side its like FM20 all over again - the last 10 odd sitters have all been missed, players shooting from tight angles, etc.

I've just finished my first season with Barcelona. My feedback for the beta is as follows:

- The main features announced, as suspected, were simply a rehash. The new body gestures are simply a renaming of the old voice tones, you can even see that in their description.

- The match engine looks solid in the Beta. Probably best version I've seen in years. I would say there's still some issues with inside forward movement and tendency to not go inside that much but still a very good ME.

- First time I've actually seen the AI do solid transfers. After the first season, most top teams have done some very solid transfers which is encouraging for long term play.

- I was unable to win the first season with barca anything (got beaten by one point in the league by Real and Lazio trashed everybody in the UCL) which is absolutely fantastic. I wanted the challenge to be there. I also didn't go around poking gegenpressing, I opted for a tiki taka style.

- Unsure if gegenpressing is still OP.

- Unsure if match condition still has no impact in pressing / etc.

- General feeling outside the match is good usually.

Provided the beta ME only IMPROVES from now on, we should be having ourselves a fantastic FM version. I can only imagine if they actually pushed out some features this year as opposed to rehashing. 

10 hours ago, autohoratio said:

Because SI have a licensing deal with the club

I really hope this is not the start of banning the custom kits and faces people produce. This would be a game changer for me. I know there are already some licensing issues. As clubs get greedier and greedier this could become more of an issue. I really hope not though

51 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Guys this may be a stupid question but was there some sort of update yesterday? The 3 letter acronyms at match-day are gone and replaced by longer team names.

Worryingly for my side its like FM20 all over again - the last 10 odd sitters have all been missed, players shooting from tight angles, etc.

Will check that out

Edited by BamBamBam

1 hour ago, karanhsingh said:

Mine hasn't changed...

Excuse the lateness in asking this - not spent as much time in the beta as I wanted.

But, how do you see past chat history with a player now?

Used to be on the following menu on a player's screen:

FM21_chathistory.png.dba3ddf3c738fe60e6ab08627370865a.png

If this has been moved, then why?

There is NO option to see transcripts of past chats with a player now. I spoke to a player and then went to look for history and it's not there.

Why was this changed?

It helps to see past chats. Do I have to note down every time I speak to a player? I praise players about their training often, but the last thing I want to do is praise a player for training too often. I want history of chats readily available becausethere is now ay I am relying on memory at my age.

Is this a bug?

Edited by anagain

1 hour ago, Womaz said:

I really hope this is not the start of banning the custom kits and faces people produce. This would be a game changer for me. I know there are already some licensing issues. As clubs get greedier and greedier this could become more of an issue. I really hope not though

People always think about greed and sure the top clubs are rich enough to not care about this, but if you look at a logo pack it has thousands of small clubs that arent raking in millions every year whose rights are being abused. Its not just the big boys, im pretty sure 90% of the clubs or players in facepacks arent millionaires or something.  

Edited by Double0Seven

5 hours ago, kiwityke said:

I missed 3 out of 5 penalties last year almost reported it as a bug but also won 3 out of 3 penalty shootouts to make it to the FA cup final/Carabao Semis.

Very similar experience to what I had with Man Utd over 2 and a bit seasons. Interestingly though I started again with Everton and Gylfi Sigurdsson scored pretty much every one. Could well just be bad luck...

1 hour ago, Womaz said:

That has been a looming concern, but any deal SI might have with clubs is just a licensing thing. It's much like how Juventus is changed to Zebre and how the Bundesliga became so much more fleshed out because SI/Sega acquired a licensing deal with the Bundesliga last year.

But, yeah, if custom add ons are ever banned then that will be a game changer for me too.

It's not something SI are going to talk about unless it happens though. 

I have tried and tried with the beta, but I just can't get on with FM21 so far.

The ME is great. I supported FM20's ME so much, but the ME in FM21 is elaps and bounds ahead.

The UI is a completely different picture. There are so many little UI bugs and errors. So many little changes that are not good. The latest change that I hate is that which I discussed just above this post. The removal of past chat history from the player's screen.

I do have faith in SI, and I recognise that it will have been a tough year, what with Covid, but Tuesday's release day patch is going to need to be huge for me.

The ME can be the best ME ever, but if the UI is as poor as it has been in beta then the game becomes a chore for me. 

I have to believe.

I should clarify that I don't mean the match UI. The loss of widgets etc is not a problem for me. I mean the general UI. Things like the loss of chat history, the bug with individual team talks, the inability to move back and forth between team talks and tactics.

I know much is bugs and SI will do their best to fix them. Just generally though, the UI this year is poor.

Edited by anagain

Is it just me thinking the in match shouts are completely useless? You can only say 1 thing for each match situation, when in previous versions more shouts would work.

And just had my team go 1 up early match, I tell them there was no pressure and they feel intimidated? Intimidated?? I just told you there was no pressure...

5 minutes ago, KamyKaze said:

Is it just me thinking the in match shouts are completely useless? You can only say 1 thing for each match situation, when in previous versions more shouts would work.

And just had my team go 1 up early match, I tell them there was no pressure and they feel intimidated? Intimidated?? I just told you there was no pressure...

There are certain ways that shouts work. There is a good guide somewhere that I was pointed towards in a post I made earlier this year. I'll have to find it.

Here: It's old but it helped me.

Edited by anagain

There's some irony in the fact that the complaints that the game is too easy will quickly turn into complaints that the difficulty is too hard if SI makes changes to the difficulty. 

Likely, the problem is still Pressing and Gegenpressing being too overpowered and counter attacking having the same effect. 

I personally play a possession style with less pressing and have found the challenge to be what would be standard for the club I'm managing, with my biggest complaint that any kind of possession style does not work as it should. 

The AI passing it sideways for 90 minutes doesn't help either. 

Can any tech people help with laptop questions for FM20 v FM21 please?

I have a relatively low spec Macbook Air (1.4GHZ Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 5000). FM17 runs fairly fine in 2D mode and the game is playable for long periods without system issues. FM20 however causes my laptop to overheat and the fan to go off like a jet engine the moment the game is loaded, let alone played through, even with the lowest game settings and options possible.

I appreciate MBA’s aren’t designed for games, but is my laptop about to take off because the processor isn’t powerful enough to handle the game demands, or because the RAM is too low to suitably run it and the system resources get stressed?

With FM21 coming soon, and whilst the system spec requirements are a little higher, having read through some of the threads I gather FM21 is a much quicker processing game (and thus I assume less system resource heavy?!?) - hence why I was hoping I might have more joy getting FM21 to run on my low spec machine than I did the previous version.

If RAM is more important than processor to run the game (even in 2D mode with low options), I also have access to MBA with 1.6GHZ Intel i5 and 8GB RAM, however it’d need an OS upgrade before I could put FM21 on it. Would this small improvement in processor speed and RAM make FM21 runable reasonably comfortably, or should I expect to struggle with heat and fan noise just as much FM20?

I know MBA’s aren't ideal, but I was hoping to avoid having a buy suitably spec'd laptop just to play the one game I play from time to time.

Any thoughts/feedback on running FM21 on these macbooks would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

5 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

I hadn't seen any updates for it but I had been wondering myself why players had suddenly thought the byline was prime shooting territory again.

Has anyone had any issues with the xG not working as it should? I've just played a game and watched 2 good chances being fired at the keeper with neither registered as a shot or increasing the xG at all. I had a feeling that xG was broken before but this seems to confirm it.

22 minutes ago, Colonel Getafe said:

Can any tech people help with laptop questions for FM20 v FM21 please?

I have a relatively low spec Macbook Air (1.4GHZ Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 5000). FM17 runs fairly fine in 2D mode and the game is playable for long periods without system issues. FM20 however causes my laptop to overheat and the fan to go off like a jet engine the moment the game is loaded, let alone played through, even with the lowest game settings and options possible.

I appreciate MBA’s aren’t designed for games, but is my laptop about to take off because the processor isn’t powerful enough to handle the game demands, or because the RAM is too low to suitably run it and the system resources get stressed?

With FM21 coming soon, and whilst the system spec requirements are a little higher, having read through some of the threads I gather FM21 is a much quicker processing game (and thus I assume less system resource heavy?!?) - hence why I was hoping I might have more joy getting FM21 to run on my low spec machine than I did the previous version.

If RAM is more important than processor to run the game (even in 2D mode with low options), I also have access to MBA with 1.6GHZ Intel i5 and 8GB RAM, however it’d need an OS upgrade before I could put FM21 on it. Would this small improvement in processor speed and RAM make FM21 runable reasonably comfortably, or should I expect to struggle with heat and fan noise just as much FM20?

I know MBA’s aren't ideal, but I was hoping to avoid having a buy suitably spec'd laptop just to play the one game I play from time to time.

Any thoughts/feedback on running FM21 on these macbooks would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

i run i5 8GB RAM and intel integrated gfx (dog ***** graphics) and the game actually runs better than FM20 in 3D. I was surprised how good it is - dont know about full release version yet.

2 minutes ago, 2feet said:

i run i5 8GB RAM and intel integrated gfx (dog ***** graphics) and the game actually runs better than FM20 in 3D. I was surprised how good it is - dont know about full release version yet.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Do you have any issues with battery heat or extreme fan noise? thanks.

I have several issues with the game so far. While the match engine seems to have improved, not much else has and I'm overall pretty disappointed mainly because I feel many features / useful things in the UI have actually been removed in the name of "realism" 

• Widgets gone from the match view makes no sense - give me the choice to have as much information in front of me at any time, don’t take away a feature that’s been around for years in the name of “realism”
  • Removing role suitability circles from the pitch on the tactics screen is removing a feature because it hasn't been replaced. It’s annoying that you now need to click more often to get the same information. It also doesn’t really make sense to remove the circles because in other places in the game they are still being used. Also confusing that on some screens players are now described as having no natural position.
  • There is no default dark skin
  • I don’t like the way subbing works in the dugout. I miss the quick sub button.
  • much of the information on the tablets seems pointless (-> see graphic with passes) and I don't get why the panel on the very left between highlights cannot be customised. I'm not allowed to get as much information as I want during highlights anymore, can I please at least use the entire screen between highlights the way I want to?
  • gestures are just a more confusing rehash of tone, doesn't feel like they add anything, just seems harder to find the right button to press now
  • removing percentages for condition and sharpness may be more realistic - but it is also more frustrating. Numbers are easier to interpret than tiny pictures
  • I don't like that I cannot find a detailed description of body language during the match anymore. Again I now have to interpret tiny pictures instead.
  • press conferences require even more clicking now but didn’t really get any more interesting
  • I don’t like how board request work now - why no actual meeting anymore? Seems an odd choice to add more detailed meetings everywhere but then decide to cut this to just a box that pops up followed by an email you often can't respond to.
  • The recruitment meetings look nice but they don't really add anything that wasn't there before. It's kind of disappointing that overall scouting hasn't really changed at all.
  • I don't like that the screen where you pick your final formation right before the match is zoomed in (probably because of the background image that has been added). It just means that there is less space for information about my players on the screen than I would usually have on the tactics screen - at the very moment I need all the information I can get.

General theme seems to be: Things look better than before, but the substance either hasn’t changed or has even gotten worse.

Is the tactical analysis available anywhere, the one that showed you where the goals/assists for and against each tactic were coming from? I can't see it anywhere and don't know if I'm being dense or has it gone? It also showed you when you were scoring/conceding, broken down into 15 minute windows.

29 minutes ago, Fabregas_04 said:

I hadn't seen any updates for it but I had been wondering myself why players had suddenly thought the byline was prime shooting territory again.

Has anyone had any issues with the xG not working as it should? I've just played a game and watched 2 good chances being fired at the keeper with neither registered as a shot or increasing the xG at all. I had a feeling that xG was broken before but this seems to confirm it.

I feel like xG is undervalued more often than not but can't be sure.

1 minute ago, CM said:

I feel like xG is undervalued more often than not but can't be sure.

It's definitely not calculated right at times, I've seen good chances that have gone down as CCC move the xG up by as little as 0.07, but I was more curious if anyone else had seen shots being completely omitted from the match records?

4 hours ago, Double0Seven said:

People always think about greed and sure the top clubs are rich enough to not care about this, but if you look at a logo pack it has thousands of small clubs that arent raking in millions every year whose rights are being abused. Its not just the big boys, im pretty sure 90% of the clubs or players in facepacks arent millionaires or something.  

Whilst I take your point, another view of it would be that it could be a good PR exercise for both big clubs and small clubs

22 hours ago, pizzachips said:

Champions League Semi final presents both squads like this pre match. Shame its not present for every single game in the season(  Think I need to update my facepacks :) )

image.thumb.png.e4f1950c2e9badf288c67730a3d803b1.png

The two things I take away from this image are that under the last 6 matches, there is no info shown and you are in the semi final of the CL and have no GK on the bench... not sure I could ever be that brave (I’d think the game would somehow know I had no backup GK and be sure to injure my starter!)

32 minutes ago, BuryBlade said:

The two things I take away from this image are that under the last 6 matches, there is no info shown and you are in the semi final of the CL and have no GK on the bench... not sure I could ever be that brave (I’d think the game would somehow know I had no backup GK and be sure to injure my starter!)

haha nice spot- I faced a bit of a injury crisis- certainly 1 keeper in the semi final wasnt intentional :) 

Something really has to be done with the 2D view, it's absolutely shameful as is. How can you expect people to play a game that 50% of the screen is just grey empty space? Some people don't have the capability or the desire to watch games in 3D and frankly I don't see how any 2D player can buy this game.

As an example, what you're asking 2D players to deal with is the equivalent of if the 3D match engine looked like this:

image.png.dcc5b9f068c9a5f3a52625ec39b041ba.png

Would anyone be okay with this? Of course not. It absolutely needs to be fixed.

So having my usual "holiday forever and at some point start a journey man save in the future" routine, there's still a lot of things around player development that annoy me.

Lets start with newgen presets. What's up with Strikers that apparently were never taught how to score? Looking at young newgens there's a ton of Strikers out there that run around with single digit finishing. Surely these people would've been either taught how to score a goal in the youth or dumped somewhere else on the pitch?! :lol: As if the 6 jumping height CBs weren't weird enough.

AI ruining players. Not sure when this started, but the AI just loves to kill off every player with tons of silly PPMs. Pretty much every fullback you try to buy in the future has "stays back at all times" PPM. "Plays simple passes" is all over the place for any defensive minded player and so on. And of course once they have these PPMs there's no damn way to get rid of them again, even if technically they'd be very well suited to not having them (in the rare cases you actually find a fullback that can attack). Nothing more ironic than seeing a fullback touted as "attacking fullback" in their media description, who then sits around with "stays back at all times" "plays short simple passes" and whatever other no risk PPM the AI can think off. "Refrains from taking long shots" seems to be another favorite, clearly an NCB that will never go forwards needs that PPM. Add to that all the defensive PPMs they can find such as "mark tightly" "dives into tackles" and you basically have a ton of players that all want to play the exact same way because the AI throws these PPMs at every CD, at every FB, at a bunch of DMs and so on.

Player development/training. Basically every player (until we start looking at absolutely world class players with so much CA they don't know where to put it), that is developed by the AI, becomes your standard carbon copy of the basic role for that position. There's almost no "low" CA defenders that can pass a ball. No low CA FBs that have any offensive abilities, Strikers (not counting the weird ones that have no finishing) are largely in near perfect AF molds (Pacey, decent dribbler, can score), with the occasional TM when they have good Jumping Reach. My gut feeling says that this is due to low CA players generally having these roles as their strongest role (as they require the lowest amount of different attributes) and thus keep getting trained in these roles from the get go, instead of the AI training them in roles they actually use.

However, from what I can tell things got even worse in FM21, due to the changes to role suitability. Now the AI will train players outside of their position, if their suitability for that role is apparently better! The end result of that? A fullback that comes through with slightly decent offensive capabilities? Better retrain him as IW! Those strikers that can't score? Retrain as IW! A midfielder that has some pace and dribbling ability? Yup, you're gonna be a winger from now on! So now, if the AI has a player that starts with some attributes outside of his position, that might be capable of becoming something other than the most simple role possible, the AI just goes "oh look, my 34th inverted winger! I need more of those!".

Add to that the general development trends in FM we've had for ages, where due to the absurd CA growth at young ages, off which 75% goes into physical attributes, and you basically see clones everywhere. Almost no player (unless the player himself does some funky retraining) stands out in a unique manner. For example, the majority of the top class defenders are near flawless all around physically (unless they're classic 1.70 CD with 6 jumping reach), have the technicals and mentals they need as a CD and that's it. And with the AI in FM21 apparently retraining any youth player that starts slightly outside the mold these carbon copies have become even worse than before. But hey, unlike before where inverted wide players almost didn't exist, despite their prevalence in real life, you can now be certain that you'll have all the IWs you'll ever want! IFs still don't exist though, if the guy can hit the goal he'll be trained as an AF. :brock:

I see there is still stupid computer transfer offers. I really wish they'd fix this.

January transfer window, first season, West Ham want Alfredo Morelos. They offer 13m, I reject it. They come back in for him and offer 12.25m this time. This has been a huge problem for years with FM games. Im astonished that its still a thing actually. 

Another thing that annoys me about transfers. Morelos is valued at 14m and i've set an asking price of 30m for him. Why does the computer make completely idiotic transfer offers. Im not selling my best player for less than his worth for a start. 

Edited by jimbo22

I like this mail after an ended trial:

image.thumb.png.073874099909b0fe4b74bec68517ae7b.png

Gives me a bit more info on the guy leaving.

But for some reason I get this, if more than one trialist leave on the same day:

image.png.15a2f0df74b6e0a286faf33d3e304ef9.png

I would very much like the first information for each trialist. It could easily be made as a scrollable list, so all trialists who leave on the same day can be shown in one mail.

21 minutes ago, nb9 said:

I am really enjoying this year's game but does anybody think there are too many goals? My games are commonly 3-4 4-4, and I don't even play a particularly attacking system.

First season in Prem, I've seen an 8-5 and an 8-4. Both games AI v AI. Three quarters of a season isn't a big enough sample size for me to comment. I'll reserve judgement. 

55 minutes ago, jimbo22 said:

I see there is still stupid computer transfer offers. I really wish they'd fix this.

January transfer window, first season, West Ham want Alfredo Morelos. They offer 13m, I reject it. They come back in for him and offer 12.25m this time. This has been a huge problem for years with FM games. Im astonished that its still a thing actually. 

Another thing that annoys me about transfers. Morelos is valued at 14m and i've set an asking price of 30m for him. Why does the computer make completely idiotic transfer offers. Im not selling my best player for less than his worth for a start. 

To be fair, that's probably realistic for West Ham given their owners. 

20 minutes ago, Phil930 said:

I hope so, but is that local or GMT?  I'm east coast US.  Every hour helps haha!

GMT - as an Australian, it's annoying seeing a game released at 11am (I create my own club, so the editor is locked until then), but here we are