Football Manager 2021 Early Access Beta Official Feedback Thread

11 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

Have you uploaded your save yet?

Hopefully if you have they are on their way to getting it sorted for you :thup:

Going to start a save on Tuesday.

Does the game automatically generate a pkm for each match, or do you have to manually do it?

Edited by dannysheard

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

Going to start a save on Tuesday.

Does the game automatically generate a pkm for each match, or do you have to manually do it?

After each match you have the option to save and export. That will produce your pkms. 

I wouldn't just send them the pkms though, if you see stuff that you reckon is overpowered or bugged I'd post in the relevant forum and see what they actually want. 

Good luck mate, hope you enjoy your save when you start it!

Hello Guys!

I haven’t played FM21 yet, I am waiting for now how it works out, checking this thread regularly.

My question to you who have several hours already is how you think the ME is working this year especially regarding the following areas:

- Player movement in the final third

- AMC involvement in creating chances

- Ability to find strikers during build-up

- Short passes threaded through (like in FM 18, moments of brilliance, they were non-existant in last two editions)

- Number of long shots (it was way to much last year, i would like to see through balls instead)

- Shooting from tight angles instead of obvious crossing.

Thanks for your opinions in advance!

32 minutes ago, Fabregas96 said:

Hello Guys!

I haven’t played FM21 yet, I am waiting for now how it works out, checking this thread regularly.

My question to you who have several hours already is how you think the ME is working this year especially regarding the following areas:

- Short passes threaded through (like in FM 18, moments of brilliance, they were non-existant in last two editions)

- Number of long shots (it was way to much last year, i would like to see through balls instead)

The things that you listed are there in the ME, improved.

2 problems that I noticed:

1. When players are wide by the byline trying to beat their marker I see a tendency from the ball-carrier to run with the ball and not really beat the marker but to just outmuscle the opponent and still be able to put a cross in.

2. Long ball from gk to the striker who magically beats the defenders (by receiving a difficult ball from the air) who are well positioned and shoot.

45 minutes ago, Fabregas96 said:

Hello Guys!

I've not played with large numbers of the roles so far because my initial ideas about formation and playstyle seem to have worked not too bad but I'll give some thoughts so far.

Player movement in the final third is much improved and players' ability to spot a run and make the pass is much better, overlaps and overloads are actually useful things. Biggest movement issue for me so far is that I feel AFs tend to stick to the width of the box too much when they could easily chase down a loose ball or clearance on the wings, it also causes issues if you use IFs as during a counter attack they don't want to move wider to drag defenders away as the IF charges to the middle causing congestion. As I said I have limited use of roles and have only really used AF so this is hopefully not prevalent and can be fixed, minor gripe really. 

Haven't used an AMC yet.

Strikers seem to be used fairly effectively in both build-up and as the target in attack. It's possible to regularly see the striker used to play quick one-twos and for offloads to the flanks before attacking the box.

Short central through balls are a thing.

Long shots to me seem balanced in terms of raw numbers and their conversion rate.

Initially I was very happy that byline shots had seemingly been removed but the more I play the more they seem to creep back in. My tactics haven't changed so I don't know if I was just lucky to begin with but it's definitely much better than it was.

Edited by Fabregas_04

I guess one of the reasons saving and loading is quicker is that the saves are uncompressed?

My save on FM20 ended up being around 1.1GB. All players, leagues and countries loaded, with default detail. The year was around 2060 when i finished my game.
My save on FM21 with the same setup is different. It's already on 602MB and i'm in the year 2023.
What will the size of that file be in 37 years?

1 hour ago, Fabregas96 said:

Hello Guys!

Apart from ME, you may also want to read the feedbacks on the UI if that is also your concern. Number of gamers have expressed their displeasure on the UI changes made. 

11 hours ago, Gingerdilligaf said:

Some of the teams definitely need worked on for realism. I'm seeing Southampton challenging Liverpool for Premier League title & Man City in 10th. Leeds sacked Bielsa when they were in 14th which seemed a bit harsh. Rangers 4th in Scots Prem & Bilbao clear at top of Spanish league. Some very random results happening

In real life, Southampton 5th, Liverpool 4th, Man City are 11th.

Real Sociedad is on top in the Spanish League, Villareal and Granada are 3rd and 5th respectively, Barcelona is down in 10th.

How is this unrealistic? Would be boring if the same teams won it every year

I've played 2 full seasons now and half of a third (80 hours of play), so a little more feedback.

UI

I've got slightly more used to it, but I still feel disconnected from the game. I'm starting to get to know xG and use this to know when I've got a problem and need to change something before I concede - but one good chance can throw this off, so I'd much rather have the possession in the last 10 minutes bar back.

I've come to the conclusion that the main issue in game is that your eyes tend to be up towards the time and in the upper half of the screen and the stuff in the bottom bar gets lost.  It might be better to have the team right under the time and the other tablet menus below that.

For sure though I find it all a bit clunky - when you are in the tactics screen, you have to click "Done" twice to confirm a team instruction and that's been really annoying me - one click to collapse the team instruction screen and then you should be able to change a role.

AssMan advice hasn't been fixed - still get conflicting stuff and very late in games you'll get it - which is nonsensical unless it's for a late sub.

Match Engine

Still really enjoying the ME.  I have noticed a difference in standard between League One and Danish 2nd Divison - can't say I really did in FM19 or 20.  Some of the moves and goals I've seen have been really nice to watch - even the ones I've conceded!  A few thoughts for down the road:

Perhaps a bit too easy for strikers to turn and beat defenders - noticed this more in League One than in Denmark.

When a player is through in the inside left/right channel, they are still quite selfish.  I don't play with an AML/AMR, so it might be better from there - but it would be a striker in the channel for my tactics.

The "Focus Play" works really well in FM21 - but perhaps too well.  Focus down the middle vs a 4-4-2 is perhaps OP - I play a 4-1-3-2 system and have destroyed better teams with focus down the middle.

Too Easy?

I won League One with Hull - but then tried a Danish 2nd division save and won the league with Dalum, who are a below average side.  We are mid table in my second season, and probably should be closer to the bottom.  I think getting on runs of results has always been a thing with FM - but it feels like when you win a couple in a row, things really get rolling and you end up 10 unbeaten too easily.  Same thing when you don't win (had a couple of those runs).  I'd like to see a more real life experience here - only the very best or worst teams will go on these runs regularly, but I think there are too many in FM.

On the whole, I've been really enjoying playing the game - I look forward to finishing work and getting going - so hopefully this general theme continues after main release.

6 minutes ago, duesouth said:

I've played 2 full seasons now and half of a third (80 hours of play), so a little more feedback.

UI

I've got slightly more used to it, but I still feel disconnected from the game. I'm starting to get to know xG and use this to know when I've got a problem and need to change something before I concede - but one good chance can throw this off, so I'd much rather have the possession in the last 10 minutes bar back.

I've come to the conclusion that the main issue in game is that your eyes tend to be up towards the time and in the upper half of the screen and the stuff in the bottom bar gets lost.  It might be better to have the team right under the time and the other tablet menus below that.

For sure though I find it all a bit clunky - when you are in the tactics screen, you have to click "Done" twice to confirm a team instruction and that's been really annoying me - one click to collapse the team instruction screen and then you should be able to change a role.

AssMan advice hasn't been fixed - still get conflicting stuff and very late in games you'll get it - which is nonsensical unless it's for a late sub.

Match Engine

Still really enjoying the ME.  I have noticed a difference in standard between League One and Danish 2nd Divison - can't say I really did in FM19 or 20.  Some of the moves and goals I've seen have been really nice to watch - even the ones I've conceded!  A few thoughts for down the road:

Perhaps a bit too easy for strikers to turn and beat defenders - noticed this more in League One than in Denmark.

When a player is through in the inside left/right channel, they are still quite selfish.  I don't play with an AML/AMR, so it might be better from there - but it would be a striker in the channel for my tactics.

The "Focus Play" works really well in FM21 - but perhaps too well.  Focus down the middle vs a 4-4-2 is perhaps OP - I play a 4-1-3-2 system and have destroyed better teams with focus down the middle.

Too Easy?

I won League One with Hull - but then tried a Danish 2nd division save and won the league with Dalum, who are a below average side.  We are mid table in my second season, and probably should be closer to the bottom.  I think getting on runs of results has always been a thing with FM - but it feels like when you win a couple in a row, things really get rolling and you end up 10 unbeaten too easily.  Same thing when you don't win (had a couple of those runs).  I'd like to see a more real life experience here - only the very best or worst teams will go on these runs regularly, but I think there are too many in FM.

On the whole, I've been really enjoying playing the game - I look forward to finishing work and getting going - so hopefully this general theme continues after main release.

Any chance you could post a screenshot of your end of season squad stats with Hull please mate?

5 hours ago, anagain said:

I think Brexit needs to be in, and that it needs to be realistic. I also realise you're not saying get rid of it.

I agree when you say that the bigger clubs need to not sign young foreign players that sit in the U23s, and I do agree clubs might refrain from asking managers to build a young squad if that challenge is unreasonably difficult under Brexit.

I don't, however, feel that fees should lower because of this. I don't believe the big clubs would be less greedy because of this. I actually feel like they would hoard the younger British stars.

I reckon it is a tricky situation to manage, and one that SI may struggle to get right. It will take a tweaking of boards in just the UK to get expectations right for British club managers, but can this be done without interfering with objectives in other countries not effected by Brexit?

It actually sounds to be like it might make for a more challenging game, and a harking to England of old when teams had a lot of English stars. What it will do for the English chances in Europe is another matter though.

I guess the best answer for now is to lessen Brexit impacts on British clubs. I'll make a quick statement to say I haven't gotten far enough in FM yet to really encounter Brexit, but I don't really believe that the government would ever allow football to suffer anyway. I believe work permit rules would be changed to make football seperate from any other Brexit knockons.

If the game work permit rules for British clubs are relaxed would that be enough?

I don't think its unreasonable to say that a 22 year old who has never really played for his club shouldn't be worth 50m to 120m, that is very "gamey" and an invisible force knowing there is a high PA.

Sure, I agree that an 18-21 year old may command a huge fee based on potential, but how often do you see teams like Chelsea hold players until they are 24 then release them. All the way upto release they demand 50m+, its insanity. Before I ignored it because, well, who cares right? Game was fine despite that and I could kind of wave it off as a "hands off" rejection. Now with British players being a necessity, this is something that needs fixing.

An example I used was this, Chelsea have an unknown kid who joined me on loan in the Championship worth around 400k. He played a bit part and left. Next season i extended the loan and he rejoined as a more key role. I offered to buy him from the reserves after a 1 successful season in the Championship, they wanted 52m. He's 21 and never going to kick a ball for Chelsea, he's just going to be released in 2 years when his contract ends. That's not realism, that's mental. Chelsea would probably settle for 20m for a largely unknown kid who has no interest except for 1 club off the back of a successful loan.

Examples and precedent? Diagana at WBA, Lookman at RB Leipzig. Both went to "lesser" teams on loan and made the move permanent for less than league record fees, in fact they were around 20m each I believe.

How can we play around in a British only transfer market if no one is willing to sell or buy? I had prem sides buying league two players, its crazy. This season alone a left winger has moved to the Prem from Exeter for 9m, he's not great, he's young though so maybe there's a lot of PA. I kind of like that, maybe a lower fee would be more realistic, but more of that is needed. Less of Spurs buying at least 2 Scottish prem players for 500k each and immediately loaning them out because they are actually poor. Less hoarding young talent until release. Less reluctance to sell.

I dont think we should change the WP rules if SI are confident they are the rules. They should balance the game to take these new rules into account though 100%, or at least acknowledge that the complaint isn't just "i hate brexit" and there are some actual game breaking problems in there like scouting.

29 minutes ago, theeyeofthetiger said:

Any chance you could post a screenshot of your end of season squad stats with Hull please mate?

Sure, mate.  Played a 4-4-2 - only signing I made was striker Liam Miller on loan from Liverpool.

1118646986_HullCity.thumb.jpg.231b526b13cf631da29a74cb9fa47ac7.jpg

With the harsh UK work permits in the game, it would be nice if players that where promised to play in the first team, failed to get a work permit, but still joins a club, had the decency to let themselves be loaned out. Now I am stuck with a player I can't use. :mad: 

No, he's not unhappy.

1 hour ago, duesouth said:

UI

Match Engine

Too Easy?

Agreed. Morale plays a huge part in the game. In fairness, it does in real life as well.

I think the problem is that you can so easily boost morale by praising a player for a training level of 7.0, which is actually not a great level of effort.

Or asking a sad player to recommend a coach they like makes them significantly happier.

1 hour ago, rdbayly said:

Rather than add to the ground swell of opinion that the game in its current state is 'too easy', I thought I'd try to give some thoughts on why some have concluded this. The improvements to the ME are obvious in all departments. Having experimented with a range of setups, I can clearly see their impact on the play style and build-up and on the pitch. Something that FM19 & 20 failed spectacularly with.

The problem is, we are the beneficiaries of these improvements, not the AI. In FM20, team instructions, roles and duties felt totally disconnected to the patterns of play in the match - which just served up an endless procession of illogical goals from long-range and set pieces. FM21 is totally different. Having watched Rashidi's streams on overlaps and focus play, it's clear that these strategies now work like a charm. Having tested them, it's obvious they have a profound affect on pulling the opposition apart - including teams superior to your own.

Over-achievement is at least partly due to the AI not being capable of evaluating and responding to your threats. If my right flank consists of an FB(a) overlapping an IW(s) with a DLP in the MCR slot, it's pretty damn obvious how and where I'm looking to build attacks. But does the AI respond? Nope. No help for the their full back, no ball-winner in the vicinity, no sign of OIs on my creative players.

If you give tools to players of this game that work, you need to buff the AI to such an extent that they can make use of them too. The other side of the same coin is the relentless negativity from the opposition. Teams better than my own do not play with enough attack duties until the 85th minute, by which time it's too late and I've shut up shop sitting on a 2 goal lead.

This sums up a lot of what I'm finding.  I have set my team up pretty much as I usually do. In FM20 the chances were getting created for the forwards, but they were incapable of scoring them. In FM21 many of these chances get taken (as they should).  It is also clear that the ME is much more responsive to tactical changes.

These are changes I've been advocating for a long time - yes, it may have unbalanced the ME a little in the player's favour, but the job of SI's ME team is now to create a corresponding change that makes the 'AI' better at interpreting the player's intentions with a given tactical setup and to better neutralise the build up play (easier said than done, of course).

Possibly some tweaks in the area of fatigue for hard-pressing may help stop teams playing that kind of tactic from overrunning the opposition - which seems to happen a little too often at the moment.

Edited by rp1966

Has the option to "reverse" the camera angle in the match engine been removed for FM21, can't seem to find it?

EDIT: also the sliders to adjust the camera angles appears a little buggy.

Edited by stevemc

11 hours ago, alian62 said:

Yes in the UK it would say 24th . Australia is 8 hours ahead so its the 25th for us . Going on UK time 00.00 on the 24th is 8am on the 25th for Australia 

That's not how time zones work. The date changes at Midnight. So if it's midnight on the 24th, then 8 hours after that would be 8am on the 24th.

Midnight is the start of the day, not the end.

12 minutes ago, RocheBag said:

That's not how time zones work. The date changes at Midnight. So if it's midnight on the 24th, then 8 hours after that would be 8am on the 24th.

Midnight is the start of the day, not the end.

Yep. 00:00 is 24th then the country that is 8hrs after is 08:00 which is still 24th. 

Next week. Full release. Beta is almost over. Bugs have been noticed and reported, but no patches so far. Is this because of Covid-19, or is it a new strategy from SI Games??

I like to tell you, that I love the game, but I have had crashes and I have noticed bugs. I really hope you will fix the most of the bugs before full release, because this game have potential to be the best FM in series!!!

3 hours ago, AllyJoseph said:

I don't think its unreasonable to say that a 22 year old who has never really played for his club shouldn't be worth 50m to 120m, that is very "gamey" and an invisible force knowing there is a high PA.

Sure, I agree that an 18-21 year old may command a huge fee based on potential, but how often do you see teams like Chelsea hold players until they are 24 then release them. All the way upto release they demand 50m+, its insanity. Before I ignored it because, well, who cares right? Game was fine despite that and I could kind of wave it off as a "hands off" rejection. Now with British players being a necessity, this is something that needs fixing.

An example I used was this, Chelsea have an unknown kid who joined me on loan in the Championship worth around 400k. He played a bit part and left. Next season i extended the loan and he rejoined as a more key role. I offered to buy him from the reserves after a 1 successful season in the Championship, they wanted 52m. He's 21 and never going to kick a ball for Chelsea, he's just going to be released in 2 years when his contract ends. That's not realism, that's mental. Chelsea would probably settle for 20m for a largely unknown kid who has no interest except for 1 club off the back of a successful loan.

Examples and precedent? Diagana at WBA, Lookman at RB Leipzig. Both went to "lesser" teams on loan and made the move permanent for less than league record fees, in fact they were around 20m each I believe.

How can we play around in a British only transfer market if no one is willing to sell or buy? I had prem sides buying league two players, its crazy. This season alone a left winger has moved to the Prem from Exeter for 9m, he's not great, he's young though so maybe there's a lot of PA. I kind of like that, maybe a lower fee would be more realistic, but more of that is needed. Less of Spurs buying at least 2 Scottish prem players for 500k each and immediately loaning them out because they are actually poor. Less hoarding young talent until release. Less reluctance to sell.

I dont think we should change the WP rules if SI are confident they are the rules. They should balance the game to take these new rules into account though 100%, or at least acknowledge that the complaint isn't just "i hate brexit" and there are some actual game breaking problems in there like scouting.

Its worrying that SI are yet to comment on this. No doubt they have seen the comments by now

15 minutes ago, bella699 said:

Next week. Full release. Beta is almost over. Bugs have been noticed and reported, but no patches so far. Is this because of Covid-19, or is it a new strategy from SI Games??

I like to tell you, that I love the game, but I have had crashes and I have noticed bugs. I really hope you will fix the most of the bugs before full release, because this game have potential to be the best FM in series!!!

The full release will contain fixes to many of the reported bugs - I don't know that SI would patch the beta unless there was something game breaking.  Patches post-full release will be released as and when SI feel they are needed until they start working on FM22 full time.

I´d like to bring up another point of which I do not know if it has been mentioned yet or if anybody even has the same problem: I currently (5th season) got 11 employees in my first team training staff and the board refuses to increase it since two seasons. I´d understand this if we were in financial trouble or whatever but actually everything is great and I am even 100 Mio. € under my yearly wage budget. All I want is two or three more first team coaches and I cannot understand the slightest why this seems literally impossible.

2 hours ago, MatthewS17 said:

I just noticed Leicester finished 20th in my save with Borussia Monchengladbach. While it's relative, surely that wouldn't be possible with the players they have?

I've noticed that as well, both in my saves and other people's. Rodgers seems to underperform quite considerably, and did in FM20 as well.

1 hour ago, stevemc said:

Has the option to "reverse" the camera angle in the match engine been removed for FM21, can't seem to find it?

EDIT: also the sliders to adjust the camera angles appears a little buggy.

That's a bug that should be fixed for release

38 minutes ago, duesouth said:

The full release will contain fixes to many of the reported bugs - I don't know that SI would patch the beta unless there was something game breaking.  Patches post-full release will be released as and when SI feel they are needed until they start working on FM22 full time.

Never understood this, surely a beta as short as 2 weeks should be using a rolling update format so we can give feedback if changes have improved matters or made them worse. As is, they may be dumping a worse version on people come release day by which point it's out of beta and there is no longer an excuse for things not to be working properly and that's all people will see.

My impression of FM21 after playing 50 hours:

• the game engine is nice
  • the user interface - especially in match day - is horrible

I don't want to repeat all the arguments already said, but I'd like to express one suspicion:

The "user interface" is so bad because they try to make the game usable with a controller.

I can't find another explanation why they have omitted so many information screens.

Even in previous editions there were some questionable UI changes, but I can't remember ever having such a massiv cut-down on informations and settings.

Unfortunately this means that I'm continuing playing FM20.

Fixing the bugs will not be enough to enjoy using FM21.

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

This is a known issue, especially in the case of players like Neymar. :thup:

Hi, is their any update with the bugs in the brexit implementation? This is discussed in detail in the brexit thread and also theres been a few mentions in this thread.

1 minute ago, francis#17 said:

Hi, is their any update with the bugs in the brexit implementation? This is discussed in detail in the brexit thread and also theres been a few mentions in this thread.

If there are issues and it hasn't been reported - please report it. This thread is for general feedback and the thread here in GD (is general discussion) is to allow discussion around topics. If you really want SI to look at something (though of course they already do test etc) - please report it. If you have an example that you can upload (instructions in the bugs forum), even better and gets things moving along quicker.

6 hours ago, oblongata21 said:

In real life, Southampton 5th, Liverpool 4th, Man City are 11th.

Real Sociedad is on top in the Spanish League, Villareal and Granada are 3rd and 5th respectively, Barcelona is down in 10th.

How is this unrealistic? Would be boring if the same teams won it every year

Yeah but this is after 9 games not 38 games & I'd be very surprised if the table looks this way by May.

4 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

If there are issues and it hasn't been reported - please report it. This thread is for general feedback and the thread here in GD (is general discussion) is to allow discussion around topics. If you really want SI to look at something (though of course they already do test etc) - please report it. If you have an example that you can upload (instructions in the bugs forum), even better and gets things moving along quicker.

Thanks I've asked people in that thread to post there examples in the bugs forum. I think its important for you to know though that by about 2024 the bug results in a basically broken game world in terms of players returned in scout reports, player values for english players, squad hoarding with unregistered players, and hired staff not being able to work so I think its vitally important its looked at even if no one ends up posting it in the game thread as I have no doubt it will come back to bite SI if it's not looked at.

Please have a lool at the Brexit thread just in case

I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be a take the knee animation at the start of games where it happens in real life (well at least in the 1 or 2 leagues I've played in thus far where it happens in real life. Especially with the links with anti racism organisations and the makers of the game. 

21 minutes ago, francis#17 said:

Thanks I've asked people in that thread to post there examples in the bugs forum. I think its important for you to know though that by about 2024 the bug results in a basically broken game world in terms of players returned in scout reports, player values for english players, squad hoarding with unregistered players, and hired staff not being able to work so I think its vitally important its looked at even if no one ends up posting it in the game thread as I have no doubt it will come back to bite SI if it's not looked at.

Please have a lool at the Brexit thread just in case

Hunt3r can't look at anything, he's not an SI developer, and the only place we can guarantee SI will see a report of an issue is the bug report forum. Posting bugs anywhere else is pretty much pointless, because they don't scour the entire forum for every post that's made.

4 minutes ago, boyinthesnow said:

I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be a take the knee animation at the start of games where it happens in real life (well at least in the 1 or 2 leagues I've played in thus far where it happens in real life. Especially with the links with anti racism organisations and the makers of the game. 

Oh, come on now. Next thing people will he asking for managers to be able to do fortnite dances before the start of the match

After slamming FM21 the last three days, I think I'm actually used to the match interface. 

Not being able to reverse the camera, slow down the replays & not being able to see players stats & analysis at any point still sucks though 

8 hours ago, roykela said:

I guess one of the reasons saving and loading is quicker is that the saves are uncompressed?

My save on FM20 ended up being around 1.1GB. All players, leagues and countries loaded, with default detail. The year was around 2060 when i finished my game.
My save on FM21 with the same setup is different. It's already on 602MB and i'm in the year 2023.
What will the size of that file be in 37 years?

Coud very well be true and an interesting question what that would mean for long term save files

Iirc years ago didn't we have an option in the preferences menu for compressed/ uncompressed saves?