Football Manager 2021 Early Access Beta Official Feedback Thread

Just now, sverige91 said:

Last year when Messi/Ronaldo/Ciro Immobile scored 15-18 goals in League, was that normal? Set -Piece defending last year or 1v1 percentage, was that normal? Every year there is something. If we lived with that last 2 year, you can also see past this.

I finished 2nd with Norwich after promotion - I'm not bragging, it's ridiculous.  A 4-2-3-1 gegenpress with attacking mentality taking a newly promoted club to 2nd with an average Champ striker banging in a goal a game is stupid.

Not to mention, not a single bid or bit of interest in him or my other top performing players. The AI knows they are ****.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if this has already been mentioned (not going to read all 51 pages at this point)

I love the fact that when 3 of my first team players were going to be on international duty for my teams fixture, I got a news article asking if I wanted to request a postponement.

Very nice.

10 hours ago, kiwityke said:

But they absolutely aren't in my save. Top scorers in the Premier league got a very very low total of goals (24 and 20 the last 2 seasons). Just because some people use exploit tactics is why they are able to get strikers to score loads of goals.

If SI change the ME to stop exploit tactics then we are back to the awfulness of FM19 and FM20 where nearly all the goals come from random long shots and set pieces!

The position is definitely overpowered on my save compared to wingers

image.thumb.png.7c13479f3fdab3441ebd7fc0e145c0a6.png

Its not the number of goals, but im sure a human user can get double the top scorer it is the fact that the first 13 on the list all play CF

might be the match engine

2 minutes ago, Showerman said:

Its not the number of goals, but im sure a human user can get double the top scorer it is the fact that the first 13 on the list all play CF

It is almost certainly due to the match engine and I'll be honest I hadn't even looked at what positions were behind the top scorers seeing as the very top scorer in the Bundesliga last year got 19 goals...thats pathetic and yet people are asking for defences to be buffed and attacks nerfed...teams are scoring 10-20 goals fewer than IRL as is!

But unlike last year this year's ME is good to watch and produces somewhat realistic football I can suspend my disbelief enough to watch. So I'll take this over FM19 and 20 any day.

4 minutes ago, Showerman said:

yeah ive checked the other leagues I have running and its all CF as the top scorers, no one with high stats but no wingers or midfielders.

Messi with 8 in 31 his lowest since 2005.

Yep but let's buff defences because set piece simulator was way more fun apparently.

I got an IF to score 18 goals last season the AI seems incapable of managing it though.

18 minutes ago, Showerman said:

What happened to Liverpool in that save?  Diego Jota seems to have been knocking in loads of goals from IF in every stream I've seen.

Dont know if it's a bug or intentionally but in the meeting you have to setup recruitment goals you can click on a role but you cant change it. Right now I play with a winger but I want the scouts to search for a inside forward instead but can only use the option to search for the role my tactic use. 

1 hour ago, BJG123 said:

Does this look normal to you?

Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 09.44.14.png

A) I'm guess he's playing in an exploited tactic.

B) Remember Michu? That wasn't normal was it

Variety is the spice of life. Some players are going to become prolific as they develop, some will suit the way you play and their team mates, some will go on runs then never do it again, flash in a pan. Strikers are not overpowered, some are playing in exploits and others are well... just doing well. If strikers were overpowered, wouldn't they all be hitting the above numbers? I know for sure my conference strikers and Huddersfield one's weren't doing that on my saves.  I think we should celebrate the fact that some players (and i've seen wingers too) such as Messi and the odd one from other leagues no matter which level, are able to finally enjoy seasons which mirror reality. Before I'd never seen Messi hit above 25. And this is coming from someone who loves defence, and is full of praise of the new AI defending on this year. I'd prefer a 1-0 over a 4-3 and I don't think strikers are overpowered

Edited by Domoboy23

Just checked the top scorers in the Prem in my 3rd season so far are

Haaland - CF

Greenwood - IF

Sterling - IF

Nsame- CF

Bernard - IF

Wilson - CF

Lukaku- CF

Maupay - CF

So strikers dominate but 3 IFs are in the mix after about 9 or 10 games.

Edited by kiwityke

on Portuguese we don't use "escapar com um vitória". We use "escapar com um empate", as it means you managed not to loose. When you win, well... it's a win. so it should be "eu vi a [name] conseguir uma vitória..."

Captura de ecrã 2020-11-16, às 21.26.20.png

I'm very happy with the state of fm21, especially compared to fm19 and fm20.

Match engine is finally something i can enjoy with the rest of the game. Number of goals scored by AI is realistic, and i'm glad goals aren't mostly set pieces anymore. I'm really hoping attacking isn't nerfed and defence buffed, the game can finally be to everyones liking because it allows you to not get frustrated as much as versions before. I like the direction where the fm is going, it's not quite perfect, but it the nearest it has even been. 

Seeing Messi finally score realistic number of goals and actually be better than the rest of the players is where i know the game is more realistic than before, as it means that player quality matters. Regarding the using of unrealistic ultra offensive tactics, i have no problem with that, each to their own liking, it doesn't do anyone harm. People that played fm for years and years know the game in  and out, all the tricks behind it, and then moan that it is too easy. As you can see, for lots of people, it isn't too easy and they get either realistic or worse results when they are not using super tactics.

Tl;dr: I enjoy the game now, and it would be very disappointing to have the fm19 or fm20 experience again after this beta. Minor fixes and it's all good to to.

on a normal (no extra time) game 4 subs were allowed. By selecting the aid from the co-manager. And often, with all substitutions already made the aid is telling you again and again to make another substitution. 

Captura de ecrã 2020-11-16, às 21.59.57.png

I'm pretty happy with match engine, functionality etc.etc., so this is very nearly a good game. However, I have one HUGE gripe with this years FM, and that is the UI. I am sorry for being harsh here, but some of the UI changes this year is straight up horrendous. I get that they've tried to add some sort of feeling of immersion to things like team meetings and talks, press conferences and so on, but the result is a cluttered mess of which I don't think I've ever seen in a professional game. A huge step back, and I don't know if it's because the UX/UI team is just incompetent, or if SI just don't have enough of a focus on it to have dedicated team of competent UX/UI people in the first place. I'm kind of leaning toward the latter, because it's hard for me to imagine a professional UX/UI designer signing off on this.

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but when hovering over players in the scouting centre to see their stats, I have to physically click outside of the popup for it to disappear again. That adds A LOT of clicks and wasted time when looking through players. As for the match day experience, it's hard to get to what I want without that pop-up tablet thingy which is also just super annoying. The customization for the information widgets has also decreased. All in all, SI has kept adding extra clicks and steps for navigating through the game and getting to what we want to get to (this trend now of adding clicks started in FM19, I think). ANY half decent UX guy will tell you that's a step back. Your goal should be to reduce the amount of clicking necessary, not increase it.

Again, I'm sorry for the super harsh reply, but I really think this is embarrassing for a game as big as this. You need to have a competent team of people that will call out decisions like this, and if you're currently thinking "but we do have a team like that", then I am sorry, but they are either not doing their job or you are not listing to them as you should.

To end on more positive note - I still have fun playing the game and are looking forward to the full release. The match engine has improved imo and the inclusion of xG is a welcome one (though perhaps slightly overstated in-game). Hopefully I can get some custom skins that further improves my experience of what is overall a really good game.

Edited by Tullekunstner

As always I am quite surprised over the amount of issues reported during this two week beta period. Sure it's good that the forum users help with finding issues, but two weeks before release... It shouldn't be so many in the first place? Game is nearly ready for release! 

Think I'll sit tight and wait for a patch or three before I commit. I don't really believe the team will be able to fix all this in just a few weeks. 

Could we have the same icons as fm 20 time for weaker &stronger foot as I have to click on to many menus to find that info out.makes doing opposition instructions take so long.i know only small detail 

16058091451067577591757320312122.jpg

1 hour ago, Footix said:

As always I am quite surprised over the amount of issues reported during this two week beta period. Sure it's good that the forum users help with finding issues, but two weeks before release... It shouldn't be so many in the first place? Game is nearly ready for release! 

Think I'll sit tight and wait for a patch or three before I commit. I don't really believe the team will be able to fix all this in just a few weeks. 

Dont let problems other people are having put you off. Ive played a bunch of hours so far and have had a great time. I'm actually even enjoying playing with the 3D and i've pretty much switched it off just a few hours into each new release over the years. Unless youre real tight for money id suggest going for it and using the early days as a time to just mess around and not take anything too seriously. 

(I will add that I detest the stadiums in the game, they look terrible. I may get to a point where I dont load them into the 3D engine). SI really needs to offer up a stadium editor as im sure the community could come up with stadiums that enhance the game considerably. 

Youre missing out IMO right now,. 

Edited by jimbo22

I totally agree,I love the game I think they will tighten a few things up with the m.e and sort a few bugs out but I am having far more fun playing this beta than I ever did with fm 20.its going to be the best fm in years

2 minutes ago, pizzachips said:

its been said before but to add my weight- please can we re add the 1st leg score given this is the 2nd leg (if these pics are best hidden, let me know and i'll do so in future :) )

image.thumb.png.8c8496916e63623163bb8db7815eba07.png

This was listed as a known issue when the beta released. The link is in the OP.

40 minutes ago, Womaz said:

In the past I have experimented with the camera and always uses the Director view.......this year I am preferring the TV Camera

I always use the TV camera and will adjust the height and zoom based on what ground I'm at. Also used to use the reverse angle for the same reason, but they've taken that away this year (hopefully back on full release). 

16 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I always use the TV camera and will adjust the height and zoom based on what ground I'm at. Also used to use the reverse angle for the same reason, but they've taken that away this year (hopefully back on full release). 

I'm still disappointed that an overhead 3D view hasn't been added; Sideline and Data Analyst views don't have enough flexibility over camera height/zoom which means I have to use 2D for any sort of decent overhead camera angle.

1 hour ago, pizzachips said:

its been said before but to add my weight- please can we re add the 1st leg score given this is the 2nd leg (if these pics are best hidden, let me know and i'll do so in future :) )

image.thumb.png.8c8496916e63623163bb8db7815eba07.png

How are you getting formation and latest scores on the touchline tablet, i can only get the choice of 1 screen?

2 hours ago, Footix said:

A lot of what is being reported may have already been known and be fixed already, Some will be new issues but this is why they allow access

3 minutes ago, JL94x4 said:

Can anyone tell me if there has been any updates released since the BETA came out? I have only just installed it so not sure if its the first version or if updates have been released to fix some issues I'm reading about.

No updates for the BETA so far.

4 hours ago, Tullekunstner said:

I'm pretty happy with match engine, functionality etc.etc., so this is very nearly a good game. However, I have one HUGE gripe with this years FM, and that is the UI. I am sorry for being harsh here, but some of the UI changes this year is straight up horrendous. I get that they've tried to add some sort of feeling of immersion to things like team meetings and talks, press conferences and so on, but the result is a cluttered mess of which I don't think I've ever seen in a professional game. A huge step back, and I don't know if it's because the UX/UI team is just incompetent, or if SI just don't have enough of a focus on it to have dedicated team of competent UX/UI people in the first place. I'm kind of leaning toward the latter, because it's hard for me to imagine a professional UX/UI designer signing off on this.

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but when hovering over players in the scouting centre to see their stats, I have to physically click outside of the popup for it to disappear again. That adds A LOT of clicks and wasted time when looking through players. As for the match day experience, it's hard to get to what I want without that pop-up tablet thingy which is also just super annoying. The customization for the information widgets has also decreased. All in all, SI has kept adding extra clicks and steps for navigating through the game and getting to what we want to get to (this trend now of adding clicks started in FM19, I think). ANY half decent UX guy will tell you that's a step back. Your goal should be to reduce the amount of clicking necessary, not increase it.

Again, I'm sorry for the super harsh reply, but I really think this is embarrassing for a game as big as this. You need to have a competent team of people that will call out decisions like this, and if you're currently thinking "but we do have a team like that", then I am sorry, but they are either not doing their job or you are not listing to them as you should.

To end on more positive note - I still have fun playing the game and are looking forward to the full release. The match engine has improved imo and the inclusion of xG is a welcome one (though perhaps slightly overstated in-game). Hopefully I can get some custom skins that further improves my experience of what is overall a really good game.

Ok, so I just wanted to show some examples of what I was talking about here to make it a bit more clear. Take player talks:

Spoiler

playertalk.png.0ed93b34199fe2d7af79a88c99c8a59c.png

First of all, this whole page is a mess. Why do I have to scroll through my reply options when half the page is taken up by a picture of Phillips and his agent? Why is Michael Edwards there? What does his expression have to do with anything? 

Now about the hand gestures, I mean just.. why? 'Wave hand' tells me precisely nothing. So now I have to hover each hand gesture a bunch of times to see what they mean before I can use them regularly for it's intended use. Or more realistically, I'll always say things with 'no gesture' because figuring out what the gestures mean is a complete waste of time. When it just said 'aggressively' or 'calmly' it was at least immediately clear what it meant, so I found myself regularly using them. Not anymore.

Now to the replies. Judging by reading through each one, it's clear to me that the yellow box is part of 'back down' and the three other boxes is part of 'convince' while the last one without a box is part of 'threaten'. But then we have those headings. Judging by their placements, my first thought is everything on the left (yellow and red box) is part of 'back down' and the green box is 'convince'. What is the blue box? I dunno. The red box is straight below 'back down' and two other options, so that's obviously a 'back down'-option, right? This is whole thing is hilariously counterintuitive and makes playing this game a worse experience. As if this game wasn't complex enough to get into for new players, this really isn't doing it any favors.

Edited by Tullekunstner

On 17/11/2020 at 15:10, rp1966 said:

If you play real-world tactics; you'll get reasonably realistic outcomes. Play extreme.  unrealistic tactics and you'll get weird results - it's always been that way. There's only so much that can be done to deal with edge cases like hyper-attacking 3 striker systems.  SI have to concentrate on building a match engine that works well for the realistic formations.

The three striker issue in FM isn't new. Just overload the middle and central defenders/opponent coach in FM can't handle this. It should be fixed.

Edited by Tom 99

2 hours ago, StormenDK said:

Does anyone else have problems getting good ratings for the fullbacks? ... Even when the others get good ratings, they tend to hover between 6.0 and 6.6, unless they get some goals/assists.

Yepp, me as well. Have the same problems with fullbacks and goalkeepers. We have a good game and for some reson they get a 6.3 or .2