Football Manager 2021 Early Access Beta Official Feedback Thread

3 minutes ago, ImDaWeasel said:

Pretty rubbish you have to rely on a brilliant modding community to fix a clear flaw. UI won't be touched, it never is. Big tick on the job sheet for this years edition and move onto next year, that's the SI model for UI every year. Just hope this years match UI is customizable....

What clear flaw? It seems fairly split on who likes the new UI and who doesn't, very similar to pretty much any other change SI have made over the past several years. You're entitled to your view of not liking it, same as everyone else, but it's generally best not to suggest a subjective flaw is an objective one.

Me? I like the new UI, and with a couple of tweaks (like removing the bug that only allows 2 sub changes to be made at a time, and hopefully enabling people to drag/drop players on the line to switch positions), it'd be the first time I'd be happy to play the game without a modded skin. The 3D is also good enough this time around that I'm happy to play the game fully in 3D, rather than 2D with 3D for replays.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Na, I think we're just going to have to get used to it. This is their vision for the future of the UI, and that's that. 

After two weeks, I'm still not sold on it, but if it can be modded, it'll be fine. Should be interesting to see if any modders CAN improve it, might be some of it is hard coded (ie unable to add widgets). 

I think Widgets are gone for Good. I'm still getting used to this but for now i can say that i don't want the Pink skin only. I hope they give us dark skins like they used to. Speaking of the Release Does the game release after 12AM tonight? or later in the day. I'm just waiting for the PGE. 

24 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

What clear flaw? It seems fairly split on who likes the new UI and who doesn't, very similar to pretty much any other change SI have made over the past several years. You're entitled to your view of not liking it, same as everyone else, but it's generally best not to suggest a subjective flaw is an objective one.

Me? I like the new UI, and with a couple of tweaks (like removing the bug that only allows 2 sub changes to be made at a time, and hopefully enabling people to drag/drop players on the line to switch positions), it'd be the first time I'd be happy to play the game without a modded skin. The 3D is also good enough this time around that I'm happy to play the game fully in 3D, rather than 2D with 3D for replays.

There is a clear flaw in the 2D. How can you look at the previous years versions of 2D and say this years isn't? They've stripped 2D down to the bare bones instead of keeping it the same and looks like forcing users to switch to 3D whether they like it or not. Can even tag the commentary text box in this as well considering that's been vastly reduced this year too.

The whole match UI was built around the 3D element, which I agree is probably their best ever, but doesn't help those like me who will stick to 2D. 

We are all completely entitled to our views but I will certainly be jumping on the first customizable skin that comes out on full release and give the maker feedback that will have a greater chance of being listened to than those at SI.

6 minutes ago, ImDaWeasel said:

There is a clear flaw in the 2D. How can you look at the previous years versions of 2D and say this years isn't? They've stripped 2D down to the bare bones instead of keeping it the same and looks like forcing users to switch to 3D whether they like it or not. Can even tag the commentary text box in this as well considering that's been vastly reduced this year too.

The whole match UI was built around the 3D element, which I agree is probably their best ever, but doesn't help those like me who will stick to 2D. 

We are all completely entitled to our views but I will certainly be jumping on the first customizable skin that comes out on full release and give the maker feedback that will have a greater chance of being listened to than those at SI.

Yep. No idea how the new UI impacts those who play 3D, I hope they love it. For me though the 2D screen is an absolute shambles, and if 2D isn't fix i simply will not be able to buy the game. 

A real shame because I've been waiting three years for them to fix the match engine, now they finally did and you can't play it in 2D. 

Hope for FM22 I guess.

23 minutes ago, RocheBag said:

Yep. No idea how the new UI impacts those who play 3D, I hope they love it. For me though the 2D screen is an absolute shambles, and if 2D isn't fix i simply will not be able to buy the game. 

A real shame because I've been waiting three years for them to fix the match engine, now they finally did and you can't play it in 2D. 

Hope for FM22 I guess.

Sad to hear about it, hope some skins will help out and there is hidden widget code in the game that just needs enabling.
But how you feel about the new screens before the match? Team talk, press conferenc etc.

34 minutes ago, ImDaWeasel said:

25 minutes ago, RocheBag said:

Hope for FM22 I guess.

This is where constructive criticism comes in. "Clear flaw" and "absolute shambles" but nothing specific about what you don't like and maybe even what could be done. "It looked better". Ok. What did? What is missing for you? Are there ideas to improve what we have? It's been 2 weeks and we either have meltdowns or 'bring widgets back'. There's nothing to take away from this. Widgets aren't coming back.

I had my own issues with it and I made a feature request to have the touchline tablet being able to scale or add/remove panels. That way, I can zoom in a bit more, have match stats on the left, the tablet on the right (with the opponent formation, for me) and the motivation etc at the bottom. Importantly, none of it interferes with the pitch, so I can still see everything and it fills up the screen nicely. Something that can work very well on 2D and even 3D. Eager to see if something was done when full release comes around.

1 minute ago, HUNT3R said:

This is where constructive criticism comes in. "Clear flaw" and "absolute shambles" but nothing specific about what you don't like and maybe even what could be done. Are there ideas to improve what we have? It's been 2 weeks and we either have meltdowns or 'bring widgets back'. There's nothing to take away from this. Widgets aren't coming back.

I had my own issues with it and I made a feature request to have the touchline tablet being able to scale or add/remove panels. That way, I can zoom in a bit more, have match stats on the left, the tablet on the right (with the opponent formation, for me) and the motivation etc at the bottom. Importantly, none of it interferes with the pitch, so I can still see everything and it fills up the screen nicely. Something that can work very well on 2D and even 3D. Eager to see if something was done when full release comes around.

Last paragraph I totally agree with. Something customizable to use in your game. The premise of this years edition was us as manager and focusing everything around us yet the match UI doesn't help us at all. I don't care for bringing back stands or more detail in 2D or widgets. Just give us something we can do to cover up the ghastly grey area we are now being handed. Give us the option in the base skin to move the player data at the bottom to the left or right. Give us the option to customise and scale the tablet. Every year just seems to get much more ridged UI.

8 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

This is where constructive criticism comes in. "Clear flaw" and "absolute shambles" but nothing specific about what you don't like and maybe even what could be done. "It looked better". Ok. What did? What is missing for you? Are there ideas to improve what we have? It's been 2 weeks and we either have meltdowns or 'bring widgets back'. There's nothing to take away from this. Widgets aren't coming back.

I want similar things you want for the tablet but one more thing, a shortcut for it, press a key to show, press same key again to hide it

11 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Is that some kind of a hint that something is being done :D:D

2 minutes ago, hoddle1404 said:

Is that some kind of a hint that something is being done :D:D

Haha, no. Just giving an example of constructive feedback that SI could potentially use. I have no idea if it's possible and what is possible to do. That's their headache. :D Just gave them what I liked, didn't like and why, from a user point of view. I suggested a few other things as well, but with that as well, I'll have to wait for release.

1 hour ago, ImDaWeasel said:

Pretty rubbish you have to rely on a brilliant modding community to fix a clear flaw. UI won't be touched, it never is. Big tick on the job sheet for this years edition and move onto next year, that's the SI model for UI every year. Just hope this years match UI is customizable....

I don't mind the UI personally, but yeah if you're unhappy with it at least the game can be modded.

8 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Whoa tiger, hidden widget code you say? 

Unlockable by modders or just SI?

Emphasy is on hope that there is that is in start of the sentence. But any change for customisation now comes from our amazing modders.

19 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Haha, no. Just giving an example of constructive feedback that SI could potentially use. I have no idea if it's possible and what is possible to do. That's their headache. :D Just gave them what I liked, didn't like and why, from a user point of view. I suggested a few other things as well, but with that as well, I'll have to wait for release.

Hahaha.. of cause i get it.. just a bit of optimism especially if that is coming from the SI family. :cool: 

7 hours ago, kiwityke said:

Don't disagree on the UI it is absolutely awful. I get the sort of idea behind it in theory but in practice on a computer or laptop screen it is borderline unusable.

The press conferences are baffling. The press are up the top taking maybe an inch of my screen up then 10 inches of nothing then my responses taking an inch at the bottom.

Its difficult to read and follow and surely anyone who studied this kind of stuff at school or just well has eyes must have raised it as an issue internally!

But Miles strikes me very much as a my way or the highway kinda guy so expect nothing to change anytime soon.

In fact the UI getting progressively worse is a running theme the last few years. The staff responsibilities tab is now so complex I sometimes have to check it 4 or 5 times just to make sure I have actually put X person in charge of Y job. It used to be so, so much more user friendly. Now its just an utter mess (again something Miles touted as being brilliant on twitter).

Modders are probably ya only hope IMO.

Summed up my feelings perfectly.

I have raised this as a 'bug' (although it seems more like a feature) as well but thought I'd open it up to discussion 

Has anyone else noticed that the final xG tallies at the end of the season seem to be absolutely off the mark?? My findings were that the odds of getting the overall xG over-performance that was nearly ubiquitous across the Serie A was astonishingly low (more details in the bug report). 

I wrote my bug report doing quite in depth analysis of my Serie A season, and I thought the numbers from that league were bad compared to IRL xG numbers from past seasons. But now a quick look at the premier division marks tells me it even straighter:

Only 1 team in the Prem overperformed their xG (Leicester, who overperformed by 12%).

1314 xG, 982 goals scored. That's an under performance of over 25%!

If we assume the mean xG over/under 'should' be 0 (on average teams will hit their xG) then the chance of my premier league results massive under-performance were (get ready):

0.00000000000028%

What I find so bizarre is that I found incredibly unlikely xG over-performance in the Serie A, but even more insanely unlikely xG under-performance in the Premier Division. 

What can this mean? I really really hope that there is a big problem in the xG page that is in the team detailed league stats (where the xG is reported incorrectly, or maybe the goal tallies are reported incorrectly?). Otherwise the xG models are completely out of whack. Any one else seen this? 

And just to clarify, I'm talking about the xG over/under performances at the end of the season, not for individual matches. Something's going really really weird here. 

18 hours ago, RocheBag said:

I doubt it, 2D has been going straight downhill for years they obviously don't care about it at all. Asking people to play a game where 50% of the screen is empty grey space.

You know you can zoom in using the mouse wheel right?

2 minutes ago, esca said:

18:00 UTC today? In one hour? Hypeee

1 minute ago, ChrisBuxton said:

Where have you seen 18:00?

It's a guess. No time has been announced. Wait until there is info please.

2 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

I posted a very clear picture comparing the state of the 2D match UI compared to the 3D one. I have already made the point, now I am simply conversing with other people who are worried about the 2D.

The new UI in matchdays is a weird one because it feels like the layout from FM20 received a lot of praise for the way it looked, so it definitely fell into the category of "if it's not broke then don't fix it"

Maybe there was a need for someone to justify their position on the game or a scramble for "features" which has resulted in an overhaul that doesn't really work for me. Too many blank spaces and it feels like a tense game of operation to make any subs. Either the layout is incredibly sensitive or it just doesn't recognise what you're trying to do because it takes about 5 attempts to make the chance I want rather than shoving a totally different player into the game

21 minutes ago, tiotom92 said:

You know you can zoom in using the mouse wheel right?

Yes, thus either having the subs along the bottom block the action, or removing the subs on the bottom and missing critical information. All while still having empty space on the sides where information could easily go instead of trying to cram it into the same space as other things

16 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

He's been told this 1000 times, but he refuses to listen. 

You told me and i responded to you with my very specific concerns that zooming in doesn't help in the least, and you didn't answer back. Nice try though.

3 minutes ago, RocheBag said:

I posted a very clear picture comparing the state of the 2D match UI compared to the 3D one. I have already made the point, now I am simply conversing with other people who are worried about the 2D.

You've also made a massive exaggeration by saying that in 2D "50% of the screen is empty grey space", which is simply untrue if you zoom in - that's not helpful to anybody.

1 minute ago, RocheBag said:

Yes, thus either having the subs along the bottom block the action, or removing the subs on the bottom and missing critical information. All while still having empty space on the sides where information could easily go instead of trying to cram it into the same space as other things

You told me and i responded to you with my very specific concerns that zooming in doesn't help in the least, and you didn't answer back. Nice try though.

I can zoom in just fine without any of the action being blocked, whilst also having minimal empty grey space. What resolution are you using?

2 minutes ago, tiotom92 said:

You've also made a massive exaggeration by saying that in 2D "50% of the screen is empty grey space", which is simply untrue if you zoom in - that's not helpful to anybody.

If you zoom in then the subs block the action or you have to hide them and miss out on seeing the condition of your players. If you set the screen in a way where you can see everything as you can in 3D, then 50% of the screen is empty grey space.

You shouldn't have to hide the information that 3D players get just to see the pitch.

1 minute ago, tiotom92 said:

I can zoom in just fine without any of the action being blocked, whilst also having minimal empty grey space. What resolution are you using?

Can you take a screenshot? Because everything I've seen so far has shown me exactly the opposite.

Seeing this would massively quell my concerns.

11 minutes ago, RocheBag said:

Can you take a screenshot? Because everything I've seen so far has shown me exactly the opposite.

Seeing this would massively quell my concerns.

Sure. The grey-space on the right hand side is slightly annoying but it's nowhere near 50% of the screen.

20201123173443_1.jpg

Edited by tiotom92

On 21/11/2020 at 20:35, Britrock said:

I just moved to playing 442 and this really bugged me in game. Why are the teams shown from DR -> DL and MR -> ML along the bottom? Can we flip this around so they match up with how the team is lined up and show from left to right instead?

image.png.a33928f09308c9ebde196cceb5789daf.png

They've used this format since 2003 (at least) so I doubt they'll change it now!