Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

After half season completed with Crystal palace  I feel this  beta version is only slightly better.

I will win title without any problems due to my tactic and strong players in m team but issues with match engine are still there.

some differences what I noticed compared to my Norwich save where I also won title in First season.

My striker on suport role scores more goals then other one on atack .

I score more goals from set pieces.

mostly conceding goals from set pieces and from stupid penalties.

libero role is not anymore required in defense

amc role still having poor impact in build up of game

atacking mentality can be finaly used

get stuck in still can be used

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, Meraklija Vujevic said:

After half season completed with Crystal palace  I feel this  beta version is only slightly better.

I will win title without any problems due to my tactic and strong players in m team but issues with match engine are still there.

some differences what I noticed compared to my Norwich save where I also won title in First season.

Yeah, I don't believe you can win the PL in one season with Norwich without the editor or save scumming, sorry. 

2 hours ago, Toonrock said:

SI could easily have their game released every 2 years - with a DB-update in between - ...and still make the exact same amount of money as previously.

This would bye them the time to go in-depth with the work on each new version. - And I would bet that every single person out there would buy a Database Update every 2 years.

From the sampling of 36 people, 30% would like a new FM every year - while 70% would prefer a game every 2 or 3 years... So yes; The ´grumblers´ are the majority (sadly) :)

We all just want the best possible solution for a good, playable FM in the future.

The truth is; SI have an undeniably (and well-deserved) 100% monopoly on this quite narrow selection of football management simulations on the market.

- Once you´re in, you´re in! (as a FM-player), because nobody has the capacity or years and years of experience of developing this kind of unique Player Database and ME-coding.

Could you explain how SI could "easily" only release the game every couple of years while making exactly the same amount as they do now? Just because, I'm pretty sure if they were able to do that, and not go to all of the effort of programming a new game every year (therefore making more profit each year), they probably would have done by now. I can honestly say, if SI stopped releasing yearly and just went "There's no additional features and additions this year, but you can pay £30 for a new database", I'd stop buying the game. It would also result in them having to stop producing the pre-game editor, because otherwise why would anyone pay for an SI database (with no other features included) when they can get a free one from a fan website?

Also, 36 people is a poor sample set and representative of basically nothing. Considering over a million people have bought just FM20, and that'll include a number of demographics, even a poll of just people on this forum wouldn't be truly representative of the entire customer base.

1 hour ago, IrrelevantLion said:

Yeah, I don't believe you can win the PL in one season with Norwich without the editor or save scumming, sorry. 

mate some of  us play this type of game more then 20 years and  I know how to play this type of game. properly.

some of my tactics was downloaded more then 50k in year and I have you tube chanel where I wining titles with shity teams.

here is topic related to tactic on fm base site https://fm-base.co.uk/threads/norwich-won-premiership-in-first-season-95-points-3-4-1-2-libero-dominator-by-vujevic.162145/

this is not related to topic but I needed to answer

20200101034859_1.jpg

43 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Could you explain how SI could "easily" only release the game every couple of years while making exactly the same amount as they do now? Just because, I'm pretty sure if they were able to do that, and not go to all of the effort of programming a new game every year (therefore making more profit each year), they probably would have done by now. I can honestly say, if SI stopped releasing yearly and just went "There's no additional features and additions this year, but you can pay £30 for a new database", I'd stop buying the game. It would also result in them having to stop producing the pre-game editor, because otherwise why would anyone pay for an SI database (with no other features included) when they can get a free one from a fan website?

Also, 36 people is a poor sample set and representative of basically nothing. Considering over a million people have bought just FM20, and that'll include a number of demographics, even a poll of just people on this forum wouldn't be truly representative of the entire customer base.

I couldn't agree more with that. What I would say is, I'd maybe prefer a period of consolidation where all focus is on fine tuning and improving the ME, resolution of other issues, some of which have been ongoing across versions. 

There's a lot of love for the game, I for one would forgive a "consolidation" FM21 version and still pay normal price for it. I feel like SI are chasing their tail at the moment, never more so than this season where issues with the ME have detracted from what are some great feature additions to the rest of the game.

On 22/01/2020 at 20:32, fidelitywars said:

One thousand times this. Everything outside of the ME, especially the database, is great but watching the same tedious, repetitive, soporific game time after time is just agony and completely ruins the game.

Same here. Started few saves, never made it past October.

6 hours ago, Meraklija Vujevic said:

I think those same points could’ve been raised without the unnecessary bragging mate, but it does flag up once again how certain tactics can still exploit the AI.

It would be good if these were addressed by SI as they cheapen the game. I reckon it would be quite useful for them to download some of these exploits and find out why they’re so overpowered. It rather renders the end of season Leaderboard almost meaningless, because someone being able to comfortably win the league with Norwich in the first season is a farce. 

Edited by Bry

I added the spanish league in my save before my 5th season and I noticed a lot of players from spanish teams I never ever heard of have brilliant stats. And I'm not talking about newgens but real players presumably from spanish teams reserve squads who developed brilliantly. For example I bought a guy Martin Calderon from Castilla which is Real Madrid's B team and he , according to my scouts, is a world class player. I got him for 13mil. And then I noticed at least 6,7 more players,still in reserve squads, all are around 23,24 year olds with amazing attributes.

So there is some kind of weird situtation in which a lot of reserve team players have developed to 4,5 star players and their clubs are still keeping them in reserve teams which is just crazy.

4 minutes ago, luka_ said:

I added the spanish league in my save before my 5th season and I noticed a lot of players from spanish teams I never ever heard of have brilliant stats. And I'm not talking about newgens but real players presumably from spanish teams reserve squads who developed brilliantly. For example I bought a guy Martin Calderon from Castilla which is Real Madrid's B team and he , according to my scouts, is a world class player. I got him for 13mil. And then I noticed at least 6,7 more players,still in reserve squads, all are around 23,24 year olds with amazing attributes.

So there is some kind of weird situtation in which a lot of reserve team players have developed to 4,5 star players and their clubs are still keeping them in reserve teams which is just crazy.

That's all relative to the team you're currently managing.

1 minute ago, Tiger666 said:

That's all relative to the team you're currently managing.

Not really. I don't have a screenshot but the guy is a world class player even for Real Madrid or at the very least is a 4 star player for them for sure. I'm managing Schalke btw.

Despite the hysteria I still don't think the Beta is far off a good ME. 

Indirect free kicks need toning down and perhaps corners plus too many soft penalties, a little more central play and we'd have a nice ME. 

Just got my Stockport team promoted to the Premier league, getting spanked by the big boys, holding our own against the lesser teams, feels about right (flat 433 works nice on the Beta by the way). 

Really enjoying the wider game, especially scouting and hand picking players to bring into the club. Got some gems that were not on anyone else's radar. 

Edited by Mr U Rosler

10 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Sure, I made a pdf which I forwarded to the studio, it explains my thoughts and idea (It´s okay to read it, but I would appreciate it not getting mocked or condemned on the forum - Thanks :)).

SI.pdf

As to the sampling (before it got closed by a mod), I think it´s as good a representative as any (That´s why they call it a sampling :))

I would bet £30 on you buying the game - Also when it was just the DB with some new extra features in the game (but with an intact ME).

- You wouldn´t be able not to, because we love the series too much.

And frankly, there´s simply none as good alternative franchise - And there probably never will be. And that´s okay! :)

Edited by Toonrock

first time back playing it today after a week break as i was finding it far to annoying to play.

trying to play 4 3 1 2 is like eating soup with a fork.... it just doesn't work with zero middle play now unlike the previous patch

1 on 1's - 0 goals in 15 1v1 chances, not asking to score each one but its more of a suprise when one will go in

noticed time after time players make such stupid passes when an opposition player is stood right next to the player he's passing to.

still far too many yellow cards for normal tackles, get stuck in is just comically stupid

AM role makes you may aswell be down to 10 men

thats enough for another week otherwise i'll put my head through the window

I'm enjoying the update. I've won 14 straight, not that I did badly previously, but it's even better now. I haven't lost since the update. I'm getting performances from my AMC. The current AMC is my 2nd best performer and also (though only played half the games the others did) 3rd best scorer, tied with the player I previously used at AMC. They're getting about 40-50 passes per match, so quite involved as well. They could do better do find space themselves, but I'm creating the space for them.

34 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

I'm enjoying the update. I've won 14 straight, not that I did badly previously, but it's even better now. I haven't lost since the update. I'm getting performances from my AMC. The current AMC is my 2nd best performer and also (though only played half the games the others did) 3rd best scorer, tied with the player I previously used at AMC. They're getting about 40-50 passes per match, so quite involved as well. They could do better do find space themselves, but I'm creating the space for them.

Care to share how you use your AMC? Honestly curious as I have good players there but they don't seem to participate a lot. Trying a 4-2(MCs)-3-1 at the moment 

vor 12 Stunden schrieb MorrisseyMuse:

This has been the underlying fact of FM for me since arguably its inception, but certainly from FM2008 onwards.  The more modern FM's are almost too realistic and in depth and that turns the simplistic joy of rattling through a season in a day or two, into a slow chore of 4-5 matches every day.  I feel like I've gained some love for the series back this year, but I can't deny I still see the series as pre and post FM 2008.

You can basically automate the whole game and dont have to do anything by yourself, also there is the simplified touch version also 

Just now, Jimmious7 said:

Care to share how you use your AMC? Honestly curious as I have good players there but they don't seem to participate a lot. Trying a 4-2(MCs)-3-1 at the moment 

Using a 4-2-3-1 as I usually do.

---------------AF/A---------------

IF/A ------- ENG/S ------- IF/S

--------RPM/S-----CM/D--------

WB/D--CD/D--BPD/D--WB/S

I had to ask the AMC to Get Further Forward as I didn't like him that deep. It left the two attacking players on Attack Duty too isolated. Obviously, this setup suits my players to the tee, so that has a lot to do with how they're doing and the team's doing.

57 minutes ago, Toonrock said:

Sure, I made a pdf which I forwarded to the studio, it explains my thoughts and idea (It´s okay to read it, but I would appreciate it not getting mocked or condemned on the forum - Thanks :)).

SI.pdf 605.62 kB · 7 downloads

As to the sampling (before it got closed by a mod), I think it´s as good a representative as any (That´s why they call it a sampling :))

I would bet £30 on you buying the game - Also when it was just the DB with some new extra features in the game (but with an intact ME).

- You wouldn´t be able not to, because we love the series too much.

And frankly, there´s simply none as good alternative franchise - And there probably never will be. And that´s okay! :)

As ive said before … Its all about the money . Every Xmas sales

3 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Could you show to us your PI and team instructions?

Edited by LucasBR

2 hours ago, Lexis said:

Personally waiting for the full patch release before making a decision to buy. I'm really hopeful though that the major issues will be fixed.

In my opinion, and I'm not saying that's the case, a match engine should allow success with a variety of styles (assuming players fit, instructions are correct and general team management is good). So theoretically given certain conditions, in the ME you should be able to succeed with a vast variety of approaches. The degree to which you find success with them depends on the before mentioned factors. Each tactical style also comes with some weaknesses that you will be exposed to. Mitigating those will be part of the challenge.

Now, IF in the match engine generally (due to the way it's implemented) you can only have success with a certain given formation and style (eg gegenpress), then for me that match engine is broken. IF you are forced to play to the meta to have any decent success, then the match engine is broken.

IF the match engine does NOT emulate those weaknesses for each tactical style to a decent degree, then that match engine is broken. If I can play gegenpress with a lower league side with poor stamina and workrate, not to mention other things, and have above average success and not be taxed for lack of stamina further down the game, then that is broken.

If the match engine does allow success with a variety of tactics (some perhaps slightly or less overpowered than others) then that is a success. If weaknesses are also emulated at least to some degree, then that is also a success.

The moment a user is forced to play to the meta, because his tactical style just isn't cut out for this engine (considering the player is good enough to have proper team management, instructions, etc), then that's the moment the game failed.

This is the match engine that I'm looking for. The one that shows variety and how variety can work.

That is not easy, but that is the job you have taken upon yourself. To have a simulator.

I am eagerly waiting for the full patch release in hopes of maybe buying it, if feedback is better.

100% this!!!

I love FM and feel like we are at the point where no major new features are required. Not for me personally anyway.

What I would really like is the ability to look at stats much more in depth than we can now. I want to be able to look up who is the top scorer in the CL QF or later over the past ten years for example. If there was some way that you could have something like a search-like feature for in game stats this would be great. It would also be nice if we could get an upgrade for some of the basic stats like being able to customise things like the career stats page in order to view all competitive fixtures rather than just league fixtures for example. It would also be good if we were able to customise the information that comes up in our news screen to a greater degree. I don't want scout reports in there for instance but I scout constantly with a 30 man scouting team so it floods the inbox once a week (btw, on this if anyone knows a way to improve this that I'm not aware of then please let me know).

In terms of specifically for FM20 I am loving this version of the game. I much prefer the ME to previous versions because of the improved animations and I feel like there is much more of an impact in terms of tactical tweaks than FM19. Club vision is a brilliant addition although it needs a bit of work to make it really influential and I'd like to be able to see a club's vision (not their five year plan) without being manager, would be particularly good if I could filter jobs this way. Dev Centre I'm relatively take it or leave it with but I do like the new progress chart so this makes it worth it on it's own. Also like having extra staff members and the new responsibilities tab is an improvement as well.

Two of my absolute favourite features in this game are the youth intake preview and the fact that we develop our own manager characteristics now over time - stuff like this is what makes me love FM and the more if the better!

17 hours ago, thomas_e said:

Players keep changing instructions on defensive set pieces. My left winger goes from having an instruction to mark tall player and then when the game starts the role has been changed to stay up top with my striker... how is this a thing? 

Possible to get feedback from a mod if this issue is beeing looked at? My defensive instructions on corners keep changing, without me doing anything. I suddenly have my smallest player marking zonal marking at the first post... 

I've just reloaded a match that ended by a draw, 1-1, under the BETA ME with my team struggling to score against the 18th squad, while I'm being 2nd of the league. This match was simulated with the "official" ME, and I've won 5-0. Exact same players and tactic (collective and individual instructions).

That's the kind of things I cant understand, how can it be so different ?

1 minute ago, Vault-Tec said:

I've just reloaded a match that ended by a draw, 1-1, under the BETA ME with my team struggling to score against the 18th squad, while I'm being 2nd of the league. This match was simulated with the "official" ME, and I've won 5-0. Exact same players and tactic (collective and individual instructions).

That's the kind of things I cant understand, how can it be so different ?

tbf, one game isn't a big enough sample size to really be drawing any proper conclusions from.

8 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

tbf, one game isn't a big enough sample size to really be drawing any proper conclusions from.

Sorry but that's a thing I don't understand.

I may be stupid, but why does one match can change in so many ways if it is only some aspects of the ME that the beta has changed ? I mean, the Beta ME is not a new one, it is the official with just some tweaks...

Maybe I don't get who this whole thing works, and in this case I would be glad to have some intels on it.

And sorry but English is not my native language, what does "tbf" means ? Thanks.

Edited by Vault-Tec

10 minutes ago, Vault-Tec said:

Sorry but that's a thing I don't understand.

I may be stupid, but why does one match can change in so many ways if it is only some aspects of the ME that the beta has changed ? I mean, the Beta ME is not a new one, it is the official with just some tweaks...

Maybe I don't get who this whole thing works, and in this case I would be glad to have some intels on it.

And sorry but English is not my native language, what does "tbf" means ? Thanks.

Each game is going to play out slightly differently, you're not going to see the same actions and results etc each game if you replayed it over and over again. 

'tbf' means to be fair. Just a phrase.

Edited by craigcwwe

Is this working right?

euroregistration_broken.thumb.png.d6e7f2ca18e553b41ee5a7bd052d59a9.png

I'm registering a squad for the Best Placed Third Qualifying Round of the Euro Cup II. I can't remove anyone from the squad, but I have managed to add in Olopade.

I would like to add in Camm and Owens but I would not have enough spare slots to cover lack of HG and HGC. However, there are players not on that pic that I could remove and be able to add Camm and Owen. I just can't.

I had the same problem before the Second Qualifying Round. Then, strangely, on the second registration day before the QR2  tie I could remove players. But I could only remove one.

So why can't I remove them now?

The main reason I ask is because I am on a save from early beta. Was registration broken at any point or is this legitimately how it is supposed to work in Europe? Ideally, I would like to recreate my squad from scratch.

EDIT: I do see the Maximum of 0 replacements category now. Does that mean official rules are that you can replace one player per round? I had 1 replacement available? Not idea during a transfer window...punishing the small clubs again, I guess.

Edited by anagain

15 minutes ago, anagain said:

Is this working right?

euroregistration_broken.thumb.png.d6e7f2ca18e553b41ee5a7bd052d59a9.png

I'm registering a squad for the Best Placed Third Qualifying Round of the Euro Cup II. I can't remove anyone from the squad, but I have managed to add in Olopade.

I would like to add in Camm and Owens but I would not have enough spare slots to cover lack of HG and HGC. However, there are players not on that pic that I could remove and be able to add Camm and Owen. I just can't.

I had the same problem before the Second Qualifying Round. Then, strangely, on the second registration day before the QR2  tie I could remove players. But I could only remove one.

So why can't I remove them now?

The main reason I ask is because I am on a save from early beta. Was registration broken at any point or is this legitimately how it is supposed to work in Europe? Ideally, I would like to recreate my squad from scratch.

EDIT: I do see the Maximum of 0 replacements category now. Does that mean official rules are that you can replace one player per round? I had 1 replacement available? Not idea during a transfer window...punishing the small clubs again, I guess.

image.thumb.png.b44782d6406c7932a882417d95cef941.png

Additionally up to 3 replacements after the winter transfer period.

Edit: Actually CL registration is different from EC/EC II, seems like ECs got 4 chances to swap a player.

Edited by Freakiie

Please please do something about the crazy amount of shots, whatever is causing it (most likely suspects are the awful defensive clearances, defenders reacting a lot slower than forwards to crosses, and weaker teams just keep kicking the ball away and give it straight back to the stronger team, 90 minutes long, with no intention to come out). So many games with 40+ shots. This isn't basketball :(

Edited by bleventozturk

10 hours ago, KiLLu12258 said:

hope for an new build soon. we should get updates more frequently in the beta.

hopefully there is something that makes the amc role work again.

What's wrong with the AMC role ?

Do you expect a masterclass each time he steps on the field? 

There are so many variables and things to take into consideration as to why it might not work for you? Have you looked into those before saying it's broken?

In my opinion, part of the frustration specially for the old timers is that we get different messages about the ME development cycle that are contradictory.

- In one hand, we are told after the March patch, that there won't be more patches as the ME team needs to work on next year ME, like if we were going to get a redesigned one.

- On the other hand, a year/version later, we get basically an evolution of the last year ME, with some improvements, but with several of the same bugs/issues from past year, that looks more a patched version than a new one.

So if the team is not working on a new ME but improving/patching  current one all the time until the new release, why can't they just share the improvements as are they are done with new patches? In the past it used to be that way, with ME patches all year long, not until March only.

Probably I have over simplified the development cycle, but it's the perception that some of us are getting, and that frustrates us a lot as the only explanation I can find is the one that disappoints the loyal fans, that is that if the ME is being fixed all the time, you can't announce it in the new version as brand new.

47 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

image.thumb.png.b44782d6406c7932a882417d95cef941.png

Additionally up to 3 replacements after the winter transfer period.

Edit: Actually CL registration is different from EC/EC II, seems like ECs got 4 chances to swap a player.

Ahh, thank you for bringing that to my attention. I've done a bit of a Loki and not looked at the rules.

I see the registration bit of the rules now. It's starting to make more sense. I think the rules are correct in my beta save too, it's just a pity I can't redo the squad.

Basically I just need to be more organised in future and leave gaps for players that might come in from transfers.

Thanks for the reply. Really helped.

47 minutes ago, wattzy said:

My first chance playing tonight since the beta was released. So far all I'm seeing is goals from wide set pieces, or from defenders heading the ball straight to a striker in the box. Literally have no hope that this match engine will ever be anything but one to look back on in horror.

I'm curious how many games you've played to make this assumption. Also, what highlights package do you play on, and do you play a wide formation?

You're entitled to your opinion, but give the game a fair chance and try to add a bit more to your thoughts. Two lines don't really help SI.

1 minute ago, Icy said:

So if the team is not working on a new ME but improving/patching  current one all the time until the new release, why can't they just share the improvements as are they are done with new patches? In the past it used to be that way, with ME patches all year long, not until March only.

To be able to sell you the new game of course :) But yes, the way they explain it, like they have to stop supporting ME 20 to be able to start working on ME 21 is just not the best description, because while they are working on patches for a version, they are also already working towards the next ME in a way. And to be honest I think it is fair. They are supporting their product for 5-6 months to improve it, before they move on, and that's a lot of time.

After playing one season with the beta the ME feels a little better but... The amount of 1v1's you get per game is sooooo frustrating it's insane. I signed Mbappe and EVERY (key) highlight he's dribbling past everyone from midfield and shooting straight at the goalkeeper. It's just so painful to watch. I don't care about losing or not scoring, just seeing so many 1v1's being missed per game makes me remember how this is a video game not even close to a realistic representation of real life football in terms of the ME. 

Staying up all night making your tactic and signing players is truely the best part of this game. Then when you finally get to the actual matches, you quickly get disappointed and realise that the tactic you spent several hours making doesn't matter. You want to play very short passes and slow? Nope! Your players are doing long passes playing super fast every highlight. You are playing with a very defensive, slow, time wasting tactic? Nope! Your players will play fast counter attacking continuously trying to find a pass forwards. There are so many more examples of your tactics not being represented in the actual ME.

I appreciate SI making the effort to put out a beta at least, shame it's not enough IMO.

hace 10 minutos, bleventozturk dijo:

To be able to sell you the new game of course :) But yes, the way they explain it, like they have to stop supporting ME 20 to be able to start working on ME 21 is just not the best description, because while they are working on patches for a version, they are also already working towards the next ME in a way. And to be honest I think it is fair. They are supporting their product for 5-6 months to improve it, before they move on, and that's a lot of time.

Most of us, who have been buying the game for over 10 years, will keep buying it regardless not because the ME fixes if they are all year long, but because the other features around the ME. I think the consensus is that this is for sure the best FM version in years in terms of realism and features (dev center, team philosophies, etc) and criticised mainly because the ME that has some of the same issues than past year version (lack of central play mainly) and that after the last patch is more similar to the FM19 engine with most of goals coming from set pieces, with wing players crossing to the defenders legs etc. 

Edited by Icy

For the working people-I'm also working for 16 years- I think game gives squad selection advice and scout advice about what players should be observed. isn't it? Even recommended tactic for selected team. What would old wargamers do as they don't have such helper tool like in this game. It is easy already after work.

3 horas atrás, kingzero47 disse:

No, you are wrong

The game is broken and it IS cheating us out of money and the enjoyment of the game

You're wrong and the game is not broken.

Don't take your opinions as facts. You don't like it, many do, doesn't matter how many times you say it's broken because it's not.