Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

Realistically, there isn't much that SI can do with the next patch. SI are not a huge, monolithic games developer; they are, relatively speaking, a small team and part of that small team will already be working on FM21. That is the downside of a yearly release schedule. Call of Duty can get away with it because they farm development out to different teams, alternating each year (as well as having very large teams of developers). SI do not have that luxury.

By setting an artificial deadline, you are setting the expectation that the game must be released on a certain date, come hell or high water and we are seeing the results of that this year. If I am being honest, I don't think FM20 should have been released in the state it was; there were and still are numerous and obvious bugs that, under a 'normal' release schedule, would have been picked up and fixed at the cost of delaying the game release. By sticking to a yearly release schedule, major bugs picked up by the test team that can't be fixed in the timeframe prior to release, means the game has to be release no matter what and the team have to scramble to retrospectively patch the engine after release. This has worked in the past when the ME flaws have not been so fundamental or groundbreaking but in this year's version, it looks like the ME flaws are too complex to simply fix with a post-release patch. It's hugely disappointing to me, as a consumer but I understand it, if not like it, because I realise that SI are wedded to and dependent financially as company upon getting a yearly version of the game in the shops.

TLDR: There is only so much that can be done both in the time available and with the resources (i.e. people) to do it. I expect most of the development team are already hard at work on FM21 given it is due to be released later this year so I wouldn't hang your hopes on the next patch being the proverbial silver bullet.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FM has its flaws but some people want the game to be something which is not realistic.

The game needs you to react to what happens on a pitch. Sometimes the pressing doesnt work, sometimes you cant keep posession etc. But you can make adjustments to increase your chances of winning.

In my second year with Bilbao, despite losing a key player and not having a replacement i got the double, in my third year, with academy youngsters playing a lot i won the triple. I did not play a game-breaking style, nothing special, i had a basic style, a 5-2-1-2 system and and adjusted with only a few changes during the games, to get the best results. Every overspecialized tactic is prone to being exposed, as is the case in real life. Madrid didnt play any incredible outlandish tactic when they won their CL's.

12 hours ago, Maldini's Heir said:

Lose a game...reload [once and I] win it is more like it.

Anyway I think you're missing the point. The thing that caused me to switch off was my team scoring three goals of the season in one game......

I can't watch my team constantly score goals of the season.

Since I win far more than I lose, it's the winning that hurts the most. The losing is usually just farcical but the winning I find even more painful!

I don't think I've missed the point. As I understood it, you were implying that you couldn't influence what was happening on the pitch with your tactics because of the ME. I disagreed with this notion as in my experience with FM20 I can see the result of tactical changes I make on the way my team plays. My experience with the game doesn't correlate with yours, if what you're observing is the result solely of ME issues then it should be affecting everyone and it doesn't. For e.g. the one on one issue and wide players taking shots from rakish angles did impact my game (although with patches has been reduced significantly) whereas I don't score long shots with the frequency you do.

You can play the game however you like, if you want to reload that's your prerogative, I'm not judging. My point was that playing the game in that way is only going to leave you feeling frustrated. It also doesn't teach you anything about how to overcome difficulties faced during a game irregardless of whether your team is being successful or not.

The reason why your team could be scoring all those long range shots could be a result of your team exploiting the only space they get when attacking teams (in the golden zone). If the opposition doesn't engage your players in that area because they are being pinned back by your attacking midfielders and strikers then that will grant space to your central midfielders. If there are no viable forward passing options for your central midfielders they will have a shot and if they are at least partially competent at doing that then there is a fair chance that one of those shots during a game will hit the back of the net.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Nikopol said:

FM has its flaws but some people want the game to be something which is not realistic.

The game needs you to react to what happens on a pitch. Sometimes the pressing doesnt work, sometimes you cant keep posession etc. But you can make adjustments to increase your chances of winning.

In my second year with Bilbao, despite losing a key player and not having a replacement i got the double, in my third year, with academy youngsters playing a lot i won the triple. I did not play a game-breaking style, nothing special, i had a basic style, a 5-2-1-2 system and and adjusted with only a few changes during the games, to get the best results. Every overspecialized tactic is prone to being exposed, as is the case in real life. Madrid didnt play any incredible outlandish tactic when they won their CL's.

I sole heartedly agree with your statement and i've been doing that alot since i've started, however, i've seen alot of streamers do the opposite and get the same results in terms of promotions/winning trophies. One stream I watch almost religiously is one with farsley celtic on FM scout. 442 2 wingers on attack, 2 strikers on AF roles and 1dlp, 1b2b. Attacking mentality, usually short passing, counter attack/counter press, high LOE and defensive line. He took them where they were to the PL consecutively, won the prem 2nd season in PL.

Barely changed a thing apart from mentality to very attacking or defensive if in latter minutes of the game. had some faults here and there and players wern't the best for consecutive promotions but it happened... that shouldn't happen if that was the case, also the tactic in reality would never work, 4 attacking players, 1 trying to run the game, while the other is trying to do everything leaving 4/5 at the back essentially, seems very odd that would work. Should be punished quite often infact, especially at the start of the save. His rep barely went up so gunning for loans with little money should've really hampered him but nope, it fit right for him. And it's not a ME breaking tactic either, can't handle top opposition games at all yet somehow he wins the prem?

Just a thought, it is one case, but those cases collectively will have increased into a bigger sample size, just shows the depth of how much work needs doing on the ME to be balanced