Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

18 minutes ago, huntelaar19 said:

I’ve did a quick search and can’t quite put into words what I’m looking for so not getting anywhere. I know I’m probably being ridiculously stupid so don’t want to start a new thread. 

I’ve just started my save with Celtic and so have to play 368 qualifiers :rolleyes:

I don’t like to take control of friendlies and so always delegate to my assman. My problem is no matter what, unless I accept his advice pre match regarding who should play he doesn’t change a single aspect of my team. I feel like in previous years they took control and played a healthy mix and everyone was nice and fit for the start of the season. 

Anyone got any clue what I’m doing wrong :seagull:

I dont think that you are doing anything wrong but the whole concept of the AM doing friendlies is flawed IMO.  The day before the friendly, go into tactics and set the team you want to start and at least that will be the starting 11- he may still leave your other squad players on the bench and play some random under 18 with no first team experience though.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, MBarbaric said:

The only problem is, that isn't how football works. It is way too restrictive. in real, players have numerous roles/duties depending on who has the ball and where. It is way more complicate than just setting mentality, 11 players and their positions, roles/duties. the whole essence of a football tactics is interaction between the players. The way they work together towards the common goal :D

This is not something though that is done in tactics but training. 

What would really lift FM to another level is if they allowed us to do shadow play in training. We should be able to pre-program where we want our players to run, A simple place to start would be set pieces. It's unbelievable that in 2020 we cannot tell a player to make a specific run at a set piece (as opposed to the generic ones in FM).

3 hours ago, huntelaar19 said:

I feel like in previous years they took control and played a healthy mix and everyone was nice and fit for the start of the season.

They'll use the team that's been selected. You either need to select the team you want to play in that friendly or clear the team selection so that it's up to the assistant to decide who plays.

Regarding Goals from Headers as i started a new CaC i noticed that quite a lot Goals now come from them which is quite funny bcs my Strikers are quite small (1,68m and 1,74m) and seem to be more successful at heading than my bigger but slower Strikers in the other game while i play the absolute identical tactic - there is still a diversity of Goals but with my overall better Team this time i score more and the more i score it seems the more it shifts the Head/Feet scoring balance toward Head atm.

Still i am very early in the Season...but this is my early perception...

Edited by Etebaer

49 minutes ago, Etebaer said:

Regarding Goals from Headers as i started a new CaC i noticed that quite a lot Goals now come from them which is quite funny bcs my Strikers are quite small (1,68m and 1,74m) and seem to be more successful at heading than my bigger but slower Strikers in the other game while i play the absolute identical tactic - there is still a diversity of Goals but with my overall better Team this time i score more and the more i score it seems the more it shifts the Head/Feet scoring balance toward Head atm.

Still i am very early in the Season...but this is my early perception...

That's partly because of the ball nearly always ending up in wide areas, so you get a lifted cross into the box. But also that even within the area the ME has a tendency to ping the ball at the attacker's head rather than slide in a low pass - this is a big contributor to the prevalence of headed goals.

11 hours ago, Freakiie said:

1)

Spoiler

Alright that formation looks overkill in the complete opposite direction. Who actually is gonna score in that set up? You do not have a single player attacking the box there, especially combined with the fact you only play on standard mentality.

2)

Spoiler

So you have 3 play making roles that attract the ball and a winger that's... well gonna cross. You can't really work the ball into the box because most of the time there won't even be anyone in the box. It's kind of what I feel a lot of clubs irl ran into trying to play the F9 as a lone striker, they suddenly didn't really have anyone that'd actually score. So yeah, 3 play making roles I think most people agree on is overkill, especially with three very similar play makers.

3)

Spoiler

So what happens is in the center you have a bunch of play makers that don't have anyone in front of them, so they can't really make attacking passes. Sooner or later they'll pass the ball out wide, where it'll end up with either the winger or one of your full backs, with the winger and CWB naturally staying wider (and the winger crossing more often), so they will run wide like their role tells them to at which point they can either A: pass the ball back to the play makers that are gonna be sitting deep since that's what their roles dictate or B: sooner or later swing a cross into the box and hope someone runs into it. Which considering you played against weaker opponents isn't that hard. As for your winger hitting home 2 crosses, you play narrower and players shift quite a bit when the ball is on the other side of the field, so it's not that much of a surprise that when your CWB has the ball out wide on the right side your winger on the left post attacks the far post. (Especially with nobody else being in the box)

4)

Spoiler

Personally I haven't had much success with a more supportive single striker this season (although so far I've also not had the greatest players for that role), but generally a F9 is not supposed to be your main goal threat. You need someone else the F9 actually makes space for. So I'd make one of the wide players an IF(A) and probably would tinker around a bit with the midfield trio as well. Turn the DM into the holding player, have some kind of runner in midfield and whether you need an AP in midfield when you have the F9... maybe try a DLF instead of the F9 if you want to keep that AP. That would require some testing I personally haven't done much this version, so I'm not the best person to give you advice regarding that.

5)

Spoiler

Also I got a feeling we're gonna get bonked with a "don't discuss tactics here" if we keep this up. :lol:

1) Possession-based tactics do not really need a lot of attacking duties, especially if you're playing against a weaker side. There's no need for riskier player mentalities. Who is going to score? Well, nine goals were actually scored by a handful of players.

2) Actually only two playmaking roles in two different strata on different sides. The F9 isn't one according to SI. My team actually worked the ball into the box, but scored the wrong way opposed to the tactical setup. Three playmakers being overkill is just a personal opinion, and I didn't even use three in this match.

3) It's actually true that my players tend to play down the wings, but that's rather because of the narrow formation of my opponent (4-2-2-2) and the fact that weaker teams always defend narrow without losing concentration in terms of shape and individual performance. I'm fine with my winger getting into scoring positions, but he had enough space to use his feet which he didn't. It's implausible that so many goals were scored by small players with weak heading and jumping reach, too. As a football fan you would think that the stronger team forces the weaker team to play its way, but in FM it seems to be always the other way around.

4) Thanks for the advice, but it was a test match where I experimented in a certain setup using players to their strengths while considering the opponent's low defensive line. In this particular game I didn't have to make changes throughout the first half though because I was 5-0 up after 45 minutes. The type of goals didn't even change in the second half with two attacking duty players subbed in. It just resulted in the same-old cross-header-goal scenario of the first half.

5) I wouldn't worry, because I started this with the intention of pointing out the ME's flaws and that it doesn't really respect or translates the tactical setup in a more logical way. In the end it's just feedback with some screenshots to back it up. It can be frustrating if you want to play a certain style of football but get something totally different. Yesterday I opened the season vs. Augsburg at home and only had 36 percent of possession and 300 passes (Augburg had more than 700). I won 4-0, but it was horrible to watch as my team used to dictate the match with possession-based tactics and roles, especially because it was playing at home. But it didn't.

Edited by FMSD0

8 hours ago, likesiamesefish said:

If you have your first XI selected then the ass man will pick it. If you leave it blank then he'll spread the game time out over pre-season so they all get fitness.

Is this true? Thanks for posting I didn't know this and always pick my first 11 just to set them up in the selection screen and then get frustrated when he doesn't pick people needing games. You may have just cheered me right up with this little nugget of information that I never thought of but makes perfect sense 

20 minutes ago, Boydy9 said:

Is this true? Thanks for posting I didn't know this and always pick my first 11 just to set them up in the selection screen and then get frustrated when he doesn't pick people needing games. You may have just cheered me right up with this little nugget of information that I never thought of but makes perfect sense 

This is true. Although I prefer to do it manually. To be absolutely sure my whole first team squad is ready.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb rp1966:

That's partly because of the ball nearly always ending up in wide areas, so you get a lifted cross into the box. But also that even within the area the ME has a tendency to ping the ball at the attacker's head rather than slide in a low pass - this is a big contributor to the prevalence of headed goals.

I also start  to have the feeling, that Goalkeepers have a much higher count of "Wondersaves" against Shots than against Headers...could be an Animation Issue or maybe not...

Also i noticed that the defenders usually are able to block a huge amount of Shots while Headers usually go through unblocked which would only increase the scoring chance from Headers compared to Shots...

Edited by Etebaer

Game might be a bit too easy now. Won the league, the cup and the Champions League on the first season with Porto. No signings.

Template tactics exclusively during the 2nd half of the season. It's a youth development save i wasn't expecting to win so easy. Broke the league record points as well.

I'm an experienced player and know which players to pick. Also put greater emphasis on team talks and overall mental aspects and the fact that players had no pressure during a match or didn't feel unmotivated, made a huge difference. But still... how do i improve from here? lol

Edited by afailed10

14 minutes ago, rp5993 said:

Game might be a bit too easy now. Won the league, the cup and the Champions League on the first season with Porto. No signings.

Template tactics exclusively during the 2nd half of the season. It's a youth development save i wasn't expecting to win so easy. Broke the league record points as well.

I'm an experienced player and know which players to pick. Also put greater emphasis on team talks and overall mental aspects and the fact that players had no pressure during a match or didn't feel unmotivated, made a huge difference. But still... how do i improve from here? lol

The only way you can really make the game a challenge is by building up a smaller club and heavily restricting your playing squad. 

For me this game is a boring cross and set piece simulator, every goal i score comes after a set piece or a floating cross, every goal i concede as well.

Which makes no real sense, i play a high defensive line and pressing and dont defend narrow but I dont concede on the counter as one would expect, the goals i concede are never counters where my high press gets exploited.

Its always a floating cross or a set piece, its so incredible dull and boring. I really dont even care if i win or lose, Its not about having success at all, I am joint leading the league with Betis but I just dont care at all.

What exactly is my input in this game? I dont know , its not tactics or how goals are scored.

Like others have written here I though the lack of attacking variety was down to the ai defending narrow and deep but this makes no sense because i dont defender like that and still only concede after set pieces and crosses.

Edited by thejay

Starting up the new league year with the new patch and so far I am on a good run of results and 2nd in the table one point behind the #1... The only game I lost was in Game 2 after a series of errors of my LB and CB heading the ball which caused an easy score for the opposition, currently 3rd in the table.

I might agree that the difficulty of the game is down as the AI doesn't seem to be able to counter human tactics, but still only 8 games into the new season, do am going to hold on into this assumption.

24 minutes ago, thejay said:

For me this game is a boring cross and set piece simulator, every goal i score comes after a set piece or a floating cross, every goal i concede as well.

Which makes no real sense, i play a high defensive line and pressing and dont defend narrow but I dont concede on the counter as one would expect, the goals i concede are never counters where my high press gets exploited.

Its always a floating cross or a set piece, its so incredible dull and boring. I really dont even care if i win or lose, Its not about having success at all, I am joint leading the league with Betis but I just dont care at all.

What exactly is my input in this game? I dont know , its not tactics or how goals are scored.

Like others have written here I though the lack of attacking variety was down to the ai defending narrow and deep but this makes no sense because i dont defender like that and still only concede after set pieces and crosses.

I’m sure we’ve been here before, but again, in trying to help with the boredom, have you considered changing your tactic up a bit?

If you don’t care about winning or losing and would prefer to see the ME play in a different way I’ve found trying different styles of play, different formations and different tactics can help the issues you’re seeing.

I’m not looking for a fight. It’s just a suggestion.

vor 7 Minuten schrieb sidslayer:

I’m sure we’ve been here before, but again, in trying to help with the boredom, have you considered changing your tactic up a bit?

If you don’t care about winning or losing and would prefer to see the ME play in a different way I’ve found trying different styles of play, different formations and different tactics can help the issues you’re seeing.

I’m not looking for a fight. It’s just a suggestion.

Well I suggested to you to post your tactics which make a playstyle possible which you claim but we know how that ended. 

Regardless of how I want to play the issue is with the type of goals I score or concede. 

Every way of playing has an advantage or disadvantage, what's most boring is that I don't concede because of my tactics disadvantage and I don't score from my tactics advantage. 

I meant to raise this in my post yesterday, but I think SI really need to remove the news items about a player playing against his old team. Might not be a big issue in top leagues, but when you play lower leagues and release 6/7 players every year it's so annoying getting a news item about playing against them. I've got ex players playing for almost every team in the league, and the news item appears every. single. time.

Half of the players probably played once or twice before being released, so i'm sick of seeing some fake irrelevant rivalry being drummed up.

Cheers.

8 minutes ago, Delvi said:

I remember some years ago SI released last patch on Valentine's Day. Sadly, it seems this is not going to happen this year. :(

I remember two or three years ago (i'm not sure), SI released final patch without any ME changes. Let's hope it doesn't happen this year ;)

3 hours ago, Delvi said:

I remember some years ago SI released last patch on Valentine's Day. Sadly, it seems this is not going to happen this year. :(

Out of interest I can't seem to remember... Do they release a winter transfer window squad update? I.E Haaland to Dortmund etc?

41 minuti fa, janesy20 ha scritto:

Out of interest I can't seem to remember... Do they release a winter transfer window squad update? I.E Haaland to Dortmund etc?

Yes, there is a transfer update. Usually the release of the patch is delayed to march because the Chinese transfer window ends in the end of February, however this year the Corona virus is going to stop the Chinese Superleague, so I was hoping to get third patch released sooner.

As Fenerbahçe fan Emre was very good at age 39 in his condition to play most matches but in reality he shouldn't play in harder physical matches but he performed well overall. I think mental stats is enough in FM football. But not much physical stats in real football?

RGy4n7.jpg

Edited by baris28

1 hour ago, baris28 said:

As Fenerbahçe fan Emre was very good at age 39 in his condition to play most matches but in reality he shouldn't play in harder physical matches but he performed well overall. I think mental stats is enough in FM football. But not much physical stats in real football?

RGy4n7.jpg

Data issues? theres a forum for that...

I have been playing FM 2020 for a week now and oh boy, either I am doing something completely wrong, or it seems to me that something is broken when it comes to how the opposition face you. I am playing as Dortmund, so a top team but almost everytime we play at home the opposition plays defensive as in the play the ball around like Pep's Barca but with no incentive to get the ball forward. It is extremely hard to press them, players seems ice cold and the amount possession they are generating is like 70/60 percent by just passing the ball around. I met Bayern in the Super Cup. They had 78 percent possession but zero shots taken. Yeah, literally zero attempted towards goal. Am I the only one experiencing this?

Edited by Gegenklaus

Took time off from the game, just played my first game after the patch. The only noticeable difference is lack of passes over the heads of the defense leading to a 1v1. 

Otherwise, 1v1s still saved way too much and my players still tried to shoot from awful angles despite there being plenty of teammates in better positions. 

I'm newly promoted in League 1, but I was hoping lower leagues would feel the patch also.

6 hours ago, Delvi said:

Yes, there is a transfer update. Usually the release of the patch is delayed to march because the Chinese transfer window ends in the end of February, however this year the Corona virus is going to stop the Chinese Superleague, so I was hoping to get third patch released sooner.

Russia's transfer window doesn't close until the end of February either, so they'd have to wait until that window closed before releasing the updated database too.

Has anyone seen a truly catastrophic player meeting effect in FM20?

My team had romped through January unbeaten but lost the last game of the month, a cup game. A game later and we still looked half the team we had been so I thought I'd hold a team meeting and push the team on a bit with some encouragment. I told them they were doing great but could do even better.

They really did not agree.

My dressing room atmosphere dropped from almost at the highest level to a fifth of a bar and labelled 'abysmal'. The team even came to me a day later to say they were upset at the dressing room atmosphere.

One team meeting should never drop atmosphere that much. Should it?

13 hours ago, szp said:

I remember two or three years ago (i'm not sure), SI released final patch without any ME changes. Let's hope it doesn't happen this year ;)

This can happen, probably the SI does not know how to solve the problem with ME.
Edited by mielony

6 hours ago, anagain said:

My team had romped through January unbeaten but lost the last game of the month, a cup game. A game later and we still looked half the team we had been so I thought I'd hold a team meeting and push the team on a bit with some encouragment. I told them they were doing great but could do even better.

My dressing room atmosphere dropped from almost at the highest level to a fifth of a bar and labelled 'abysmal'. The team even came to me a day later to say they were upset at the dressing room atmosphere.

Team meetings are ridiculously OP but if they go wrong it can therefore be disastrous. 

13 hours ago, Gegenklaus said:

I have been playing FM 2020 for a week now and oh boy, either I am doing something completely wrong, or it seems to me that something is broken when it comes to how the opposition face you. I am playing as Dortmund, so a top team but almost everytime we play at home the opposition plays defensive as in the play the ball around like Pep's Barca but with no incentive to get the ball forward. It is extremely hard to press them, players seems ice cold and the amount possession they are generating is like 70/60 percent by just passing the ball around. I met Bayern in the Super Cup. They had 78 percent possession but zero shots taken. Yeah, literally zero attempted towards goal. Am I the only one experiencing this?

Unfortunately no, the moment a semi decent team plays on a lower mentality against you they will have the ball... Having played on Cautious mentality myself a couple of times in tough European matches your players will take almost no risks, you'll just see massive amounts of passes between your CDs and pressing them hardly makes a difference. At the same time, since your defenders will have the vast majority of your possession you won't do anything offensively either, since even if you have roles set up that want to attack and get the ball forward they barely see anything of the ball (even while playing with BPDs).

8 hours ago, anagain said:

Team meetings are one of those things I don't dare to touch in FM to be honest, they almost always seem to end in a disaster for me. Somehow regardless of what option I pick the response turns into "omg why you putting pressure on us!!!" every single time. :idiot:

I still did not bought FM 2020 because of this all negative critics, I will probably buy it soon but I have one question regrading players development: 

I've stopped playing FM 2019 because of players development. This happened all the time but I will give  just one example. I had one five star central defender in my save with Celta. He was in my first team from age of 19, and my team was crushing everybody, I won titles, but his attributes were not chaging at all. Then I went to holiday for 2 seasons just for test, my Ass man won Champions League, and I looked that defender again, his attributes were the same. He had marking and tackling 13 at age of 19 and at age of 24 even he had great potential. And I was seeing this all the time with good young players.

Player development is so awful in FM2019 I had to stop playing it, so I wanted to know, what is the situation with player development in FM 2020? Do you often see young players reaching their peak too early? 

Thanks

edit: I've found a perfect example, from databa website, it is the same player, look at his defending attributes: 

18y old: https://prnt.sc/r2qbtg

27y old: https://prnt.sc/r2qcbe

Edited by Marko1989

I've played one and a half season with the new match engine, things are better but still worst.

1-on-1's still need improvement;

Defending movement in terrible very often;

Lack of central movement and strikers tend to not participate on the plays;

Opposition keepers are incredible;

Full backs and Wingers wait to cross on the defender instead of crossing quickly;

Headers going up.

Something I've always disliked about Football Manager is some of the weird conversations with players.

For example - I have a player out for 4 to 6 weeks with an injury. I've gone to him saying 'Don't worry, concentrate on your injury' and then he's just started giving me grief.

Literally no-one would ever speak to their manager like this for something as simple as an injury. 

ethan.PNG

vor 30 Minuten schrieb Nathozz:

Something I've always disliked about Football Manager is some of the weird conversations with players.

For example - I have a player out for 4 to 6 weeks with an injury. I've gone to him saying 'Don't worry, concentrate on your injury' and then he's just started giving me grief.

Literally no-one would ever speak to their manager like this for something as simple as an injury. 

ethan.PNG

He just agreeing with you. 

1 hour ago, Marko1989 said:

I still did not bought FM 2020 because of this all negative critics, I will probably buy it soon but I have one question regrading players development: 

I've stopped playing FM 2019 because of players development. This happened all the time but I will give  just one example. I had one five star central defender in my save with Celta. He was in my first team from age of 19, and my team was crushing everybody, I won titles, but his attributes were not chaging at all. Then I went to holiday for 2 seasons just for test, my Ass man won Champions League, and I looked that defender again, his attributes were the same. He had marking and tackling 13 at age of 19 and at age of 24 even he had great potential. And I was seeing this all the time with good young players.

Player development is so awful in FM2019 I had to stop playing it, so I wanted to know, what is the situation with player development in FM 2020? Do you often see young players reaching their peak too early? 

Thanks

edit: I've found a perfect example, from databa website, it is the same player, look at his defending attributes: 

18y old: https://prnt.sc/r2qbtg

27y old: https://prnt.sc/r2qcbe

I pretty much exclusively play long term saves focused on development and FM20 is absolutely brilliant in this regard. There are much more dynamic star ratings where they can go up and down 1, sometimes 2 full stars because of form or it can just happen in a sudden growth spurt. I've also seen players who come in at around 23 say with 3.5* max potential end up boosting up to 4.5* current in the end and maintaining it through peak. Honestly, the improvements on this side of the game (unless it is just this particular save I've got going) are really top drawer.

I was someone who was a bit disappointed with the Dev Centre feature when it was announced because it's just putting the information that already exists in game into a different format but they have clearly done some work on other game mechanics as well.

Little things I am noticing as well like some players will instantly learn positions whereas others take longer (even if same age and potential gap) and players seem to be able to adapt their game more later in their careers and often end up with a different role / position. Also noticing personalities spreading much better even when I've got no mentoring just strong team leaders.

This is all without hidden stuff revealed but it does carry through to my observations of other AI controlled players as well.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb likesiamesefish:

Nah that is definitely a negative interaction when they say 'I'm sure you'll want me for something else soon.'

Not seen it for an injury before.

What do you expect, that all players always react the same like robots? Check his personality, maybe he is over ambitious and frustrated about the injury.

Just now, KUBI said:

What do you expect, that all players always react the same like robots? Check his personality, maybe he is over ambitious and frustrated about the injury.

Not sure why you think I'd expect players to all act the same like robots, I was clearly just pointing out that it is actually a negative reaction.

I'd actually prefer way more dynamic player personalities and find that part of the game to be particularly shallow and easy... ironically enough because the players do react the same like robots.

12 minutes ago, likesiamesefish said:

I pretty much exclusively play long term saves focused on development and FM20 is absolutely brilliant in this regard. There are much more dynamic star ratings where they can go up and down 1, sometimes 2 full stars because of form or it can just happen in a sudden growth spurt. I've also seen players who come in at around 23 say with 3.5* max potential end up boosting up to 4.5* current in the end and maintaining it through peak. Honestly, the improvements on this side of the game (unless it is just this particular save I've got going) are really top drawer.

I was someone who was a bit disappointed with the Dev Centre feature when it was announced because it's just putting the information that already exists in game into a different format but they have clearly done some work on other game mechanics as well.

Little things I am noticing as well like some players will instantly learn positions whereas others take longer (even if same age and potential gap) and players seem to be able to adapt their game more later in their careers and often end up with a different role / position. Also noticing personalities spreading much better even when I've got no mentoring just strong team leaders.

This is all without hidden stuff revealed but it does carry through to my observations of other AI controlled players as well.

Okay, thank you very much.

8 minutes ago, KUBI said:

There's any chance to change the dialogs when you say no comment to "Lucas preferred not to answer that..." instead of "I'm not prepared to answer this..."?

vor 1 Minute schrieb LucasBR:

There's any chance to change the dialogs when you say no comment to "Lucas preferred not to answer that..." instead of "I'm not prepared to answer this..."?

Only with a feature request. It is possible to change strings in the language file but not how they are used. In that case it would need an "add player_name" (just as an example) in the game code. 

1 hour ago, KUBI said:

He just agreeing with you. 

He made some smart snarky comment at first and that's when I said 'Don't worry' and then he replied with that and his morale went down. It's the same as when you ask someone to Welcome someone to the club. No player would ever go - no I'm not doing that. It's not a major gripe it's just something that doesn't make too much sense to me. 

Another issue I'm finding with this years edition is the lack of highlights perhaps on key highlights? I'm regularly finding on almost any save I have (successful or not) that I can have multiple games with 20 shots+ with lets say 10 on target and rarely do I get more than one or two highlights.

Immediately I checked the stats to see if they were long shots, no, generally speaking they're not. Then I went in to further detail to find exactly where they were in the box and for these not be showing as key chances when almost every free kick, corner or long range shot is, is mind boggling.

I really hope there is another patch for this ME with the Feb update as this is beyond stale to watch. So repetitive, one on ones rarely scored (mostly missed), most set pieces are goals and don't forget your long range wonder strike! ....and no it's not the "formation" because I'm talking about it going for me and against me. It's not a single complaint because I'm not doing well, it's in general. My goals, AI goals, the ME is seriously poor to watch this year.

Edited by Quadrophenia88