Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, 91427 said:

Frustrating that centre backs never seem to advance into the opposition half when it happens all the time in real life, particularly from the top teams 

You obviously haven't met my overlapping central defender yet.

2 hours ago, FMLegend1983 said:

Honestly you guys will never be happy lol :rolleyes:

It was dull boring and negative me before now it's fun entertaining not perfect me you guys still complain I don't think Sigames will ever make you happy!

a counter-argument, please, instead of a "u stupid lol xd"

fact #1: dribbles are overpowered

fact #2: in your video, there was nothing reminding anyone to "central play"

7 minutes ago, Glen_Runciter said:

a counter-argument, please, instead of a "u stupid lol xd"

fact #1: dribbles are overpowered

fact #2: in your video, there was nothing reminding anyone to "central play"

I'm not saying anyone is stupid mate and I completley respect your opinion all I was trying to illustrate is prior to this patch I had very little success playing through the middle and my am was lucky to score a goal never mind  a hatrick. I don't think these videos really do it justice as prior to the goals there is even further build up play through the middle.

Don't get me wrong the ME needs more work but seeing how bad it was previously and how long it has taken to get where it is now I sadly don't think it will get much better.

For the record I am not winning every game and have had some frustrated losses I can't make sense of but in comparison to the awful me's we've had building up to this I am just greatful for small mercies!

Edited by FMLegend1983

so, apparently, I've given up on this game 2 days before 2.4, so came back, and it is different, less infuriating. but still not significantly better

a shot from 26 meters is still about as dangerous as a shot, or a header from 6

and after watching that boring gameplay for an hour, you grind out a 1-1 in the cup against a team in a higher league. in the replay, you control the game, you take the lead, but you lose 2-1 because of a 90+ minute long shot

what do you think your rating is after a match like that? yep, a C-

there is just no fun to find in this game

edit: oh, almost forgot the best part: so, in the replay against the higher league team, we were controlling the play, had a load of shots, the opposition goalkeeper was having a career game, we absolutely should have won about 3-1, so after unluckily losing 2-1 in OT, my team talk option was a passionate "despite result, this was a good performance", which of course made everyone confused, and they switched off

there. is. just. no. fun. to. find. in. this. game.

Edited by Glen_Runciter

Stuck to my 4-3-1-2 as not got the players or money to change system.

Just beat a solid Southampton side 5-0 , Hat-trick of headers from my CB from 2 free kicks near the half way line and a corner....  a out the box rocket from my LB with his 7 long shots and an actual goal from my AM who made a run for a change.

Other than the AM goal very little to non-existent central play.

Team dynamics are far to sensitive to how the team plays, 1 defeat and its like the world is ending

Edited by Tangerine_Army

This is the variety of goals we have in the current ME. Sample taken from just one round of Prem games but, in fairness I've watched a lot of AI vs Ai games and this is very typical, rinse and repeat every time. Tactics don't make a difference to the type of goals scored. Too many goals from set pieces, crosses and long shots. There's simply not enough variety or randomness which results in a boring and predictable ME.

Assists

Corner 6

Free Kick 3

pen 1

cross 5

solo 1

long shot 3

short pass 1

Newcastle v Burnley.pkm

Aston Villa v Liverpool.pkm

Arsenal v Crystal Palace.pkm

Chelsea v Man City.pkm

Everton v Southampton.pkm

Everton v Southampton.pkm

Man Utd v Sheff Utd.pkm

Leicester v Bournemouth.pkm

Edited by Weller1980

2 hours ago, dannyfc said:

Definitely agree with you that the archetypal playmaker AM -> poacher ST ball probably isn't as prevalent as it used to be, or at least how it's perceived.

That said you do see much more tight, intricate inter-play between players than you currently do in FM. No necessarily through balls, but a pass into a strikers feet with his back to goal. Or just square balls and 1-2s in and around the box to open up space, which aren't necessarily always in behind. 

I keep banging this drum but I just want players to make more risk or intuition in attack. Yeah the striker might be marked, but it doesn't completely rule out him out of the phase. You don't always need to hump it out wide just because that's where the space is. 

You don't want to see these high risk moves come off, but you want them attempted to a varying degree of accuracy depending on the player's attributes. I have no issue watching long-ball percentage football if I know I could at least instruct my players to do otherwise and watch them fail doing so.

I'd also argue the lack of distinction in attributes go further than the elite level. These long-shot efforts are banged in by every player, regardless of whether they're proficient shooters or not. Similarly the cross-field 60 yard passes are regularly completed without error by tier 6 players, which isn't right. 

I agree. I'd like to see more passes into the feet of the strikers and even attacking midfielders, in particular. A player such as Giroud, who's well-known for his ability to back in to defenders and play well-weighted first time passes or flicks round the corner, would not be as useful in this FM due to the reluctance to play into feet unless he has open space around him. And yeah, the lack of balls squared across the box is a well-known issue. 

I'm only speculating, but it seems it'd take more than just tweaks to get the ME to a point where these things can be possible without also disturbing the defensive balance too badly. The logic behind decision making in the attacking third seems to be, "this player is not in space, therefore I will not pass to him", whereas we want them to also be able think, "if I give the ball to this player, he can give it to that third-man runner". So we want passers to not only be aware of who they can give it to, but also where other payers might move after he's released the ball. Easier said than done, of course. 

I've played quite a few matches since the update now and it has clearly had an effect on my team.

Much more of my play seems to be going wide now (no matter what I say!) and my AMC and striker are rarely involved, lot's of goals coming from corners or loose balls/deflections. I'm not seeing many long shots though, quite the opposite infact, almost never see one even attempted either by my team or the opposition.

My AMC managed lots of goals pre update (he's the main goal threat), it's dropped off hugely since, he is just not seeing the ball as much as he isn't even getting shots off or chances, same applies to the striker but he's a big lad so get's the odd header at a corner/freekick.

Noticing a lot less through balls in the centre or passes from deep into a central area or even a ball over the top to run onto. I don't feel like my tactical instructions make much difference to on pitch behaviour either! Play through the middle = 75% play on the wings, Shor passing = whatever the player fancies, Higher tempo = knock it about between the CBs and keeper for a bit before hoofing it to a player who heads it into no mans land.

On 05/02/2020 at 15:03, JEinchy said:

I've played five games on the new patch and, to be honest, it's not much better than the public beta. My observations:

• Players are dribbling through each other like there's no collision detection at all. It's back to pre-public beta levels.

This is the one I notice more than the others. 

6 horas atrás, lex311085 disse:

I also looked at goal distribution in Europes top 3 leagues, Premier League, La Liga and Bundesliga this season and 71% are scored with the foot 16% headers, 10% penalties and 3% free kicks. I think thats more of an accurate representation if you want to look at popular competitions 

Do you think header = crossing, foot = don't?

I think you must look for something like what was the moves not what body piece finished.

Alfo free kick + corner + throw-in + penalty are one thing = goals from set pieces, that also can finish with both foot/head. 

The way that the player finishes doesnt matter, only matter what was de previous moves that the goal was created. 

43 minutes ago, thiagoanjo said:

Do you think header = crossing, foot = don't?

I think you must look for something like what was the moves not what body piece finished.

Alfo free kick + corner + throw-in + penalty are one thing = goals from set pieces, that also can finish with both foot/head. 

The way that the player finishes doesnt matter, only matter what was de previous moves that the goal was created. 

Yes I know but after looking at the fact that 71% of goals are scored with the feet and 16% are scored with the head I don't think its realistic for Leo Messi to score 20 headers a season and 2 with his left foot. I think it does matter how goals go in otherwise its unrealistic but if you think that doesn't matter then play on

Edited by lex311085

1 hour ago, JEinchy said:

We want passers to not only be aware of who they can give it to, but also where other payers might move after he's released the ball. Easier said than done, of course. 

When you phrase it like that it puts into perspective the task at hand as the decision tree for each attacking moment must be huge. 

I do have sympathy for SI as you can't knock the frequency of patches over the last couple years. My fear now is they simply do not know how to address this issue of central play, rather than refuse to acknowledge it. The long balls at the start of release almost seem a compromise to remedy that. 

That Giroud example is bang on, but also applies to highly technical players who thrive in tight spaces. That reluctance to engage with the opposition really limits how you distinguish attributes like composure, first touch and strength. 

There was a post a few pages back that discussed how it feels like each player's radius or sphere of influence feels to large. Hence the reluctance to operate within less than 5 yards of a defender. Almost like the players are too big for the pitch. 

Edited by dannyfc

7 hours ago, FMLegend1983 said:

Lovely central play including a hat-trick from my AMC Olmo!

Look at them goals from a Newcastle point of view, first one is the passage of play after a Throw in, with static defending, been a problem for years. Second goal the Newcastle right fullback should be closing down, he is marking no one, stood in no mans land. And the forth goal the centre back does absolutely nothing to block the shot. Its not good play, its broken passive defending.

So I won 7 straight games with Betis playing an insane all out pressing tactic which the ai cant handle .

All goals i have scored were either long shots , cross or after set pieces , not a single one after a passing combination freed up a player.  All the goals I conceded were crosses or standards as well.

Despite that assist locations show through ball as the most frequent assist location , makes no sense at all but it does explain why some people claim they can play with combining through the middle and score goals after combinations .

They cant, i dont think this is possible with this me and the narrow defense instructions

1489371483_Anmerkung2020-02-0sfd9195947.thumb.jpg.20929ad9b05d8e0a10bf8f66507d04cc.jpg549151800_Anmerkung2020-02-0sfdasda9195947.thumb.jpg.af03b0710eabece0490b279a81af36da.jpg 1443506995_Anmerkung2020-02-09195947.thumb.jpg.c22bf7063e11bab1ea065a751309eb2a.jpg

Edited by thejay

8 hours ago, FMLegend1983 said:

Lovely central play including a hat-trick from my AMC Olmo!

One mans meat is another's poison......While you celebrate what you see as central play, I can only despair at the "Zombie" defending. It's like a scene from The Walking Dead.

3 saat önce, Weller1980 said:

This is the variety of goals we have in the current ME. Sample taken from just one round of Prem games but, in fairness I've watched a lot of AI vs Ai games and this is very typical, rinse and repeat every time. Tactics don't make a difference to the type of goals scored. Too many goals from set pieces, crosses and long shots. There's simply not enough variety or randomness which results in a boring and predictable ME.

Assists

Corner 6

Free Kick 3

pen 1

cross 5

solo 1

long shot 3

short pass 1

Played a bit this evening again for 5 matches and watch a bit AI vs AI matches but I couldn't get into game still. More like was in the mood I've paid it so I should play more. But still..

Not enough variety of goals in open play, setpieces dominate. Whether creation of setpiece and these goals afterwards result of good tactics who knows. So unpredictable.

Edited by baris28

40 minutes ago, janrzm said:

One mans meat is another's poison......While you celebrate what you see as central play, I can only despair at the "Zombie" defending. It's like a scene from The Walking Dead.

That's a fair comment if it was my defending I would be livid but it's the AI's and believe it or not this type of dribbling happens rarely for me. We all know FM lacks in the animation stakes so in terms of taking people on this probably is the representation of that very thing and output via the match engine. I'd take this happening occasionally over complete shut out where AI defenders are op and the games are dull and boring. Main thing annoying me right now is lack of consitency from tactics, players and too many 1-1 all draws. Hardest FM yet for me.

Edited by FMLegend1983

I'm noticing a trend where central one-on-one chances have a high chance of being missed still, but wide one-on-one chances have a good chance of going in.

Even though both my strikers like to lob the keeper, I have never seen them lob the keeper. Ever. In six seasons I've not one single lob from anyone, so I can confidently say this PPM is defunct. 

31 minutes ago, Meraklija Vujevic said:

Won title with Spal in first season.

Entire season was played on my You tube Chanel.

Posting for people who complain that match engine is hard and success is not possibly.

20200209211241_1.jpg

20200209211609_1.jpg

20200209211519_1.jpg

To be perfectly honest, success shouldn't be possible with a team like this and such numerous aggressive and contrary team instructions. If anything, that's alarming.

Edited by FMSD0

2 horas atrás, lex311085 disse:

Yes I know but after looking at the fact that 71% of goals are scored with the feet and 16% are scored with the head I don't think its realistic for Leo Messi to score 20 headers a season and 2 with his left foot. I think it does matter how goals go in otherwise its unrealistic but if you think that doesn't matter then play on

If that happens, it is unrealistic indeed

17 minutes ago, gonefading said:

To be perfectly honest, success shouldn't be possible with a team like this and such numerous and contrary team instructions. If anything, that's alarming.

I 2nd this, it's being written up and down in the forums that AI can't cope with high pressing. So yeah this guy is basically bragging that is exploiting the match engine and try to shove his youtube show through our throats.

Edited by Sharkn20

31 minutes ago, Meraklija Vujevic said:

Won title with Spal in first season.

Entire season was played on my You tube Chanel.

Posting for people who complain that match engine is hard and success is not possibly.

20200209211241_1.jpg

20200209211609_1.jpg

20200209211519_1.jpg

Dominator tactic. Is this yours or did you download it? Not that it really matters. Your players got a lot of yellow cards, and look at that intensity! Pretty unrealistic achievement but grats... I guess. You beat the ME.

26 minutes ago, gonefading said:

To be perfectly honest, success shouldn't be possible with a team like this and such numerous aggressive and contrary team instructions. If anything, that's alarming.

Immersion breaking if anything first season winning the league with a lower mid table side like Spal. 

26 minutos atrás, gonefading disse:

Look at the stars of his players, he could win for sure, nothing abnormal win a championhship with that squad 

2 minutos atrás, Elfking disse:

I don't think anyone has been saying the game is too hard now, in fact I think people are finding the opposite!

It depends on your strategy, if you manage a big club and is looking for playmaking by the center, maybe you will find hard against small clubs, for example

20 dakika önce, craigcwwe said:

Immersion breaking if anything first season winning the league with a lower mid table side like Spal. 

I hope it's only that. Isn't it how they score should be important as well as AI in this simulation. I hope better simulation first and then better AI. 

In my opinion the reason why he won the league with SPAL is an AI issue rather than the ME being broken.

I don't really mind there being game breaking tactics out there, the AI just needs to develop better tactics of their own, especially at the elite level.

I don't think we are ever going to get an intentionally more difficult game though because the majority of people play more casually and might get turned off if they can't be successful.

14 minutos atrás, Freakiie disse:

You realize star ratings are relative to your team and are thus completely irrelevant for judging how strong his team is?

So, every squad have at least one 5 stars player on each position? Otherwise what is the reason the best player on your squad in that position is not an automatic 5 stars? 

8 minutes ago, thiagoanjo said:

So, every squad have at least one 5 stars player on each position? Otherwise what is the reason the best player on your squad in that position is not an automatic 5 stars? 

Not sure I've ever had a situation without a 5* potential player at the club. It's definitely relative to your club otherwise you wouldn't get two star players who would be five star at other teams in the same division.

27 minutes ago, thiagoanjo said:

Wat.

How did you make that logical leap?

It's relative to your team, so it looks at how good a player is compared to the average standard of your team. In other words a 5* player would have to be far better than the average of your team. Situation like this rarely happen because well... either your player is way too good for your team and would be long gone before he reaches that point or your team average simply is so good that it's impossible to have someone far above everyone else.

For a relegation candidate in La Liga pretty much every player in the Real or Barca first eleven would be a 5* player. At Barca though the only one that might hit 5* is Messi and at Madrid, well don't think they have anyone now that Ronaldo left, since there's only like 4 players that would be that much better than the rest of the team in the entire world.

Edited by Freakiie

They've made every damn team go into a low block which then leads to only higher tempos and mentalities being viable.

This would be fine if the restriction was players but it's not, this happens at every level. Not every team in the world is that organised and not every team has the players to play a low block but the match engine doesn't care.

That's why center play is not viable unless you are doing it at high tempos or counter attacking. Every bloody play goes outside because the AI just crowds the centre, it's exhausting.

Basically the match engine forces you to play a certain way because it's no longer about players ability, none of the mental stats mean anything anymore, every defender is prime Pique and can track every run and every pass with ease.

Football manager is no longer player based, the match engine decides everything and player stats mean jack.

What the hell happened to these games after FM 18? I noticed FM 19 was the first edition where they killed center player completely and it's carried over to this version. It doesn't seem like a bug, it seems like a decision was made. I haven't even done two seasons in this game, I get frustrated after 1 and a half. 

Edited by bcereus

26 minutes ago, bcereus said:

They've made every damn team go into a low block which then leads to only higher tempos and mentalities being viable.

This would be fine if the restriction was players but it's not, this happens at every level. Not every team in the world is that organised and not every team has the players to play a low block but the match engine doesn't care.

That's why center play is not viable unless you are doing it at high tempos or counter attacking. Every bloody play goes outside because the AI just crowds the centre, it's exhausting.

Basically the match engine forces you to play a certain way because it's no longer about players ability, none of the mental stats mean anything anymore, every defender is prime Pique and can track every run and every pass with ease.

Football manager is no longer player based, the match engine decides everything and player stats mean jack.

What the hell happened to these games after FM 18? I noticed FM 19 was the first edition where they killed center player completely and it's carried over to this version. It doesn't seem like a bug, it seems like a decision was made. I haven't even done two seasons in this game, I get frustrated after 1 and a half. 

I agree to some of what you're saying but please back up it up with evidence, evidence of each point would be useful in them changing it.