Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

20 hours ago, KiLLu12258 said:

hope for an new build soon. we should get updates more frequently in the beta.

hopefully there is something that makes the amc role work again.

AMC is a tragedy, though I'm employing it in my current tactic, and I have to say that even if it's (really) bad as a scorer and as an assistman it's useful in the defensive phase, even if playing as a Shadow Striker. Also it take part in the buildup of play. Anyway it's the weakest role in current match engine, definitely.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Vault-Tec said:

I've just reloaded a match that ended by a draw, 1-1, under the BETA ME with my team struggling to score against the 18th squad, while I'm being 2nd of the league. This match was simulated with the "official" ME, and I've won 5-0. Exact same players and tactic (collective and individual instructions).

That's the kind of things I cant understand, how can it be so different ?

That's where FM derailed, with the randomity. Old FM were more predictable, you would feel the inferiority or superiority of your team against the opposing one (like it is in reality), while now...

That's the only big criticism I move towards the current game. Unfortunately it's the fundamental part of the game, the one that should make you enjoy it or not.

Life isn't about randomness. Life is about order. Everything it's chained, everything it's predictable. You eat too much you become fat, you avoid to go potty you explode. You have the best playing team you win.

And for the english developers: Norwich is down there, and Manchester it's up there. And Leicester isn't (wasn't) cheap like Norwich, and at that time Manchester was up there too. :D

P.S.: Eintracht-Hertha 2-3, redo 4-1. No good.

Edited by Tetsuro P12

This randomness spoken of, as frustrating as it can be, is also what makes this version of the game interesting. I was bored of winning the league in my first season as a relegation candidate. It was too easy. Not this year. I’m six seasons in, I’ve managed 3 clubs, working my way up the managerial ladder and all I’ve won so far is the English league cup, with Villa, my 2nd club (started as Nancy in the French ligue 2). I’m now at Napoli in my first season with them and we’re challenging for the Serie A title. This is realistic to me. And I’m loving it because of it. It’s a journey. Learning what tactics are strong, with which players, with each club is a journey. It’s interesting. It’s realistic. In reality Napoli haven’t won the league in 30 years. Why should I come to the club and assume I can win it immediately? 

Winning every division in my first year and then multiple champions leagues and every other title with Hampton and Richmond on FM19, although quite amusing, was ridiculous. And ultimately boring. 

My Stikers are the top scorers in the league by the way, and although the 1v1’s are quite frustrating they do ultimately score quite a few too. I’m not playing the beta. I’ve found a tactic/formation/instructions/players that make it work. 14 games played, 1 draw and 2 losses. Realistic.

The losses were away to Inter and Juve, the draw at home to Milan. I’ve beaten all the teams I’d expect to beat. Realistic. I do anticipate I’ll lose at home to Spezia at some point too. It happens. Reality.

Edited by sidslayer

9 minutes ago, bahrami said:

My god, how have they managed to create another broke ME? Lose 3-0 to Tottenham, three set piece goals from the same side of the pitch. My team misses 8 one-on-ones. 

<comment deleted>

Your tactic is wrong. Just saying.

15 minutes ago, bahrami said:

My god, how have they managed to create another broke ME? Lose 3-0 to Tottenham, three set piece goals from the same side of the pitch. My team misses 8 one-on-ones. 

<comment deleted>

- removed reply to deleted comment -

Edited by rp1966

Just now, bahrami said:

Of course, been playing every year since its inception, but it's the tactics :D

So have I, and I believed it couldn’t possibly be my decisions that were causing these awful performances and results. I then started thinking more deeply than I ever have before about my tactics and hey presto these types of things in the ME are practically gone.

Managers and players often talk about the little details that make the difference. I now see what they mean. Picking a player with poor morale, but he’s your star player? Might backfire. Not reading the game and making changes? You’ll get punished with the same goal 3 times. 

I do get the frustrations, but I also believe it’s in our own hands to make a difference.

thought i'd give it another go today.... Against Man city, great game to come back to with my Blackpool side, switched to a 4231 narrow and it worked very well trying to hit on the counter, keeper made some good saves which were 1 on 1's so expected but of course KDB scores a 35 yarder that floated in more than flew in then to top it off a ball through which my defender can simply get but instead just at the last minute decides to stop running so Sane can just get the ball instead and 2-0.

simple thing just infuriate the life out of me with this ME... the long shot i can let slide a little as it was KDB but with it floating in just no... 2nd goal well thats just a shambles of the defensive state the ME is in

1 hour ago, sidslayer said:

This randomness spoken of, as frustrating as it can be, is also what makes this version of the game interesting. I was bored of winning the league in my first season as a relegation candidate. It was too easy.

That's not the right way to address it, in my opinion. Everything is debatable, obviously, and this is first a game than a simulation, so randomness could be a way if it makes the game more enjoyable, but I'm not so sure that the community is pleased about this new 'feat'. You like it, ok, eventually you like to exploit the game and the only way to feel it challenging is for the game to cheat you (adding randomness, or worse) but then there are users that: 1. Don't exploit ME, 2. Don't quit the game after a loss, 3. Don't micromanage, etc. that necessarily feels cheated. So it's a about to please A or please B and make an unfair game or a fair one.

I don't say unfair is necessarily 'wrong', still I say I don't like it, because my desired way of playing is different. Also I feel randomness break immersion.

Edited by Tetsuro P12

26 minutes ago, Tetsuro P12 said:

That's not the right way to address it, in my opinion. Everything is debatable, obviously, and this is first a game than a simulation, so randomness could be a way if it makes the game more enjoyable, but I'm not so sure that the community is pleased about this new 'feat'. You like it, ok, eventually you like to exploit the game and the only way to feel it challenging is for the game to cheat you (adding randomness, or worse) but then there are users that: 1. Don't exploit ME, 2. Don't quit the game after a loss, 3. Don't micromanage, etc. that necessarily feels cheated. So it's a about to please A or please B and make an unfair game or a fair one.

I don't say unfair is necessarily 'wrong', still I say I don't like it, because my desired way of playing is different. Also I feel randomness break immersion.

But football is random. That’s what makes it beautiful. The goal is to make the randomness, well ... less random. And it CAN be done with this ME. If you’re suffering from unusual amounts of “randomness” (as I have been too) you need to change something. 

It’s simply not enough to have the best players and the best reputation. 

Just to add, I’m not exploiting the ME, just working with it. I don’t save scum as I only play network games, but I do micro manage, because that’s how I’ve negated the “randomness”.

Edited by sidslayer

I think there's some miss interpretation when you say in a press conference "no comment" the following news says that I wasn't prepared to ask that question but the truth is that I didn't want to answer, SI should change this.

22 minutes ago, sidslayer said:

But football is random. That’s what makes it beautiful. 

Football isn't random, it just has a lot of unpredictable elements that can affect the course of a game. Analysed moment by moment from kick-off to final whistle everything that happens is deterministic, it's just that there are so many elements in play you cannot make those determinations.

Such a complex system of interactions is not something that can be fully modelled, so randomness is used in the code to allow those variables to be represented - so probabilities of a shot being hit at the right angle, whereas in real life it is down to the way the player connected with the ball.

If the ME is being perceived as too random it's because the probabilities are either not tuned or are coming into effect in the wrong context (such as the quality of a chance not being reflected in the probability of a successful shot).  The issues around relative team strengths and results is one of those areas where the tuning feels off - largely, I think, because not enough weight is being given to the ability of highly technical players with flair and vision to do the unexpected. They make the wins of the top teams they play for much more likely and predictable, ironically by being unpredictable themselves.

How do you represent that in the ME? I suppose by the decisions they take being much more random amongst the available options, but executed with much more reliability and consistency.

47 minutes ago, sidslayer said:

But football is random.

Not at all. Otherwise there would be no Juventus, no Barcelona, no Bayern Munich; otherwise there would not be solid financial investments to buy the best players around (that you have to repay with results). What you call randomness are organic deficienses (bad atmosphere, wrong decisions, wrong tactics choices, injuries, etc.). When Inter Milan lost lately against Barcelona in a match where it was playing better it was because Conte changed his formation and tactic and played rashly; it was because of his errors. Matches are changed because of the specifical qualities and deficienses of the players and their managers, not because the ball gets 'possessed' and rolls by itself inside the goalpost. That's why you would like to have a Messi or a Guardiola in your team.

Edited by Tetsuro P12

4 hours ago, Tetsuro P12 said:

Life isn't about randomness. Life is about order. Everything it's chained, everything it's predictable. 

But things often happen in life that are unexpected. Whether you personally think they are random or not is just squabbling over semantics. Sure, events can be connected (or chained as you put it) from a butterfly-effect point of view, but 'everything is predictable'? Certainly not in my life experience. There are too many variables.

You eat too much you become fat, you avoid to go potty you explode.

Your food and toilet analogies fall down because they lack context (Nothing is mentioned about time frames, a person's diet, or their lifestyle. etc). 

IMO variability is what the game is trying to convey. Randomness is sometimes the only way a computer program can mimic the unpredictability of life.

You have the best playing team you win.

The 'best playing team' is subjective, so I don't know how that could be proved, but the most fancied teams don't always win.

20 minutes ago, Bry said:

But things often happen in life that are unexpected. Whether you personally think they are random or not is just squabbling over semantics. Sure, events can be connected (or chained as you put it) from a butterfly-effect point of view, but 'everything is predictable'? Certainly not in my life experience. There are too many variables.

Your food and toilet analogies fall down because they lack context (Nothing is mentioned about time frames, a person's diet, or their lifestyle. etc). 

IMO variability is what the game is trying to convey. Randomness is sometimes the only way a computer program can mimic the unpredictability of life.

The 'best playing team' is subjective, so I don't know how that could be proved, but the most fancied teams don't always win.

Unexpected for you, not unnatural nor unexpected for who can know it. (ex.) That illness comes because dictated by DNA, or interaction of the body with the environment. If you would know everything you would say that everything is predictable, since it's concatenated. Because of our limits and points of view we can't predict much or know much, still we have evolved so much that we are able to predict many things that in the past were completely dictated by 'randomness'. And randomness is different from chance.

The most fancied teams don't always wins (because of specific deficienses, not because of randomness), still I'm waiting for that Brescia winning a Champions League.

Edited by Tetsuro P12

Randomness and PA are two FM thing thats have no counterparts in real life.

But (while PA can be cut off easily) Randomness is very hard to get rid off in FM 'cause all the micro-effect that happening in real-life (and that make life seems random) cannot be reproduce in a game. 

So imho randomness is last thing we need to change in game. 

Edited by FlorianAlbert9

1 hour ago, WelshMourinho said:

A question for those who aren't enjoying the game ( like me) - what level are we all playing at?

I've been playing in league 2 and league 1, promotion first season and a horrible relegation fight second, but I was hoping some of the things that have been frustrating me have been as a result of the level we're at. 

Does the game still have all the horrible issues at the top level? I think I can handle a bunch of missed one of ones, but I'll truly lose hope if even in the PL it's all set pieces, throw ins close to the byline, dumb decision making and ignoring instructions lmao. 

Please someone give me hope

In my experience the game is enjoyable until top leagues, then I had to setup tactics specifically for exploiting. Also the free market gets more difficult. I doubt it will improve for you.

14 hours ago, Robioto said:

1. Managing the squad - I can't stand this now, when a player has a complaint, for example wants a new contract it feels like roulette, hit the line of text and hope you don't make the player unhappy. There is no consistently and it's almost impossible to have a guess at what players want to hear and these interactions happen frequently. I hate hitting continue only to be interrupted by another player whinging at me out of the blue and I have to stress over which random option to pick this time. I despise thos part of the game and often save before player interactions just in case half the squad kicks off to me clicking the wrong text box. The main issue in recent games is the sheer frequency of these events.

Definitely this. I gave the example a while back when I took over a 3rd division Spanish team who were relegation bound, got them well clear after 12 games, winning several and only losing 1, yet suddenly my managerial support was very poor cause the "players can't get past my lack of experience as a manager".  Don't think in real life they'd care if after 12 games they'd won far more points than in the previous 22 combined and were comfortably clear from relagation. 

Basically, player interactions and happiness is really random. 

My feedback for what it's worth:

I didn't buy on release day, probably for the first time ever. I based this on the demo feedback and forum feedback after release so delayed till about 10 days ago. This meant though I read about the many complaints I didn't experience them first hand.

I finally decided to give it a go and wasn't impressed by the ME in particular, but the public beta was released the day after so I quickly moved to that and it's been pretty enjoyable. I've been playing for over a week solidly and I feel my tactic works, the changes I make are displayed pretty well and games go largely how they should.

I do have a few issues which are:

1. Penalties - about a 50% success rate overall which is not realistic
  2. One on ones - improved in the latest ME but still too low a success rate, however I've improved them slightly by teaching my strikers to go round the keeper or lob the keeper, they score more but still IMO not enough.
  3. Far too many offside /disallowed goals, about just under one a game on average but not uncommon t get 2 or more in some games - unrealistically high ?

Apart from that some small niggle I have are:

1. The transfer budget screen - "70% made available until 58 million has been generated then it will drop to 40%" ? What does that even mean ?
  2. When I play a player out of position I get a news item saying I'm retraining them to this position and they aren't suitable or similar - I'm not retraining them it was an emergency position only
  3. The previous manager (Gerrard) seemed to retrain everybody in midfield to cover RB also, might have been a one off but was peculiar 

I've also not seen any evidence of an issue with attacking through the middle. I use a Segundo Volante on attack with a CM AP on attack - both trained to run with the ball down the center and play killer passes and it works perfectly for me. WIngbacks put in plenty of crosses and cut backs too so I have several avenues of attack.

Overall I'd say 7.5 out of 10 just now and hope these issues are addressed in the future.

So I Just qualified for the new European Conference league.

Seems you're only allowed 5 subs on the bench as opposed to 7 in the CL and EL.

I can't seem to find any information on how this works irl, but it just seems strange to me.

Anybody know more about this?

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Mantis Toboggan:

How do i get my B team and youth teams to stop copying First Team tactics?

Afair there was a "Use First Team Tactic" Checkbox somewhere in the Staff Duty Settings menu.

Well, i dont find it, maybe it was shelved or moved elsewhere...

###

Arguing about if Football/Soccer has random Elements in it is arguing over terminology...

Edited by Etebaer

1 hour ago, waldywaldy said:

So I Just qualified for the new European Conference league.

Seems you're only allowed 5 subs on the bench as opposed to 7 in the CL and EL.

I can't seem to find any information on how this works irl, but it just seems strange to me.

Anybody know more about this?

Not sure if it's a mistake or real life but you get to use 7 subs from the play off round on.

Another strange thing is if you win your group you get a bye in the first knockout round

Gerade eben schrieb Boydy9:

Not sure if it's a mistake or real life but you get to use 7 subs from the play off round on.

Another strange thing is if you win your group you get a bye in the first knockout round

Strange things should be raised in the bugs forum, as they could be bugs. 

1 minute ago, Boydy9 said:

Cheers

I tried to find some info on it online but some lazy google searches didn't really come up with anything

3 minutes ago, KUBI said:

Strange things should be raised in the bugs forum, as they could be bugs. 

Bye to the last 16 for group winners isn't a bug:

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2629443.html
The eight group winners automatically go through to the last 16. Additional knockout round play-offs will then be played before the round of 16 between the eight group runners-up and the third-ranked teams of the UEFA Europa League groups.

4 minutes ago, waldywaldy said:

Cheers

I tried to find some info on it online but some lazy google searches didn't really come up with anything

Had a quick look too and can't find anything, see previous post about the group winners getting a bye being correct

Completed first season in public beta even I won double in first season with Crystal palace I dont see any good things in beta version.

I collected less points and played more draws with much stronger team then my Norwich save where I won title with 95 points with weaker team.

From my point of view I dont like beta version.

20200125205616_1.jpg

20200125204210_1.jpg

20200125204250_1.jpg

20200125204320_1.jpg

20200125205524_1.jpg

20200125205554_1.jpg

4 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

Is there a general consensus as to whether strikers score more goals on this beta? I am not talking your own players, just around the world, Messi finishing the season with 12 goals or so etc? 

Yep, it's under review and Si is working on that, you can find that thread in beta fm bugs subforum, too few goals thread

9 hours ago, Travis Bickle said:

Something on FM that has annoyed me for ages...

I'm fed up of non-negotiable wage contribution clauses when selling players. 

Quite often I'd rather sell the player for free than have to keep him on my books in any shape or form. 

Wish this would be changed. 

Have you tried this? When I offer a player to clubs, I choose the 'Selling Team Wage Contribution' as an additional clause, then select 'Remove and exclude from negotiation'. 

image.thumb.png.6dca2b2485f0b90ac9dee378c4855b89.png

12 часов назад, Meraklija Vujevic сказал:

Completed first season in public beta even I won double in first season with Crystal palace I dont see any good things in beta version.

I collected less points and played more draws with much stronger team then my Norwich save where I won title with 95 points with weaker team.

Tbh tactic like this shouldn't work at all. It's normal to use exploit tactic for personal fun, but I believe FM is game for adapt realistic (logical) tactics for every match and during match. (Unfortunatelly it doesn't work clear as we want but still)
This is how it works IRL too.
For sure this is not your fault that ME allows for tactics like this to be dominant but I'm afraid developers have no technical feasibility in our days for fix exploits like this. So if you use exploits its beyond of usual feedbacks imo.

Edited by Novem9

43 minutes ago, Sunderland AFC said:

You're just trying to justify a totally broken match engine. Pretty sad.

SI have accepted theres major issues but you think it's just down to tactics and people just dont know what they're doing. 

I was actually trying to stem the flow of unnecessary hate. The ME is not totally broken. Totally broken is a ME that doesn’t work at all. Broken by definition means not working. The ME is working. Just not how some would like. Of course the ME is a bit wonky. When has it ever been perfect? 

I was pointing out that conceding 3 exact same goals in one game highlights a tactical deficiency. Blame the ME all you want, but there is no reason to concede 3 goals, exactly the same way in one match. THAT is a user problem.

vor 14 Stunden schrieb Meraklija Vujevic:

20200125204320_1.jpg

Can you share the tactic please?

30 minutes ago, Weller1980 said:

Well, there is next to zero central play and through balls, that to me is a broken element of the ME

Eventually marking and defensive positioning are too strong. Eventually they can make a dumber defensive phase (still movements need to be preserved because they are right), otherwise I don't see how can they fix the central play. Fact is that players are superhumans, they don't suffer from fatigue, that's why they always close their man; and perhaps that's why non-pressing tactics aren't feasible in top leagues.

Edited by Tetsuro P12