Football Manager 2021 Early Access Beta Official Feedback Thread

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I haven't, as I assumed this was by design now. 

We've just discussed this briefly internally. We'd like to take a look please. We suspect he shouldn't have a full green heart when he's out for 4-8 days.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ajt said:

How are shouts working for others so far during matches? I can't seem to get anything other than encourage (when behind or drawing) or praise to give a positive result. demand more, focus etc all seem to get negative reactions

I'm still getting hang around. But when I see some silly phases like fouls constantly by ai or we are unable to get the ball then focus helps the players despite their -ve reaction. 

After a goal asking them to demand more helped me twice to get the 2nd goal. 

Never used praise as of yet. But encourage I used at late stages of game and they kept doing what they expected to do with out complacency. 

Note: This observation might change more I play.

First off, nice work!  What a great game this years version feels like.  There is a lot to get used to, but early impressions are favorable.  The ME is so fluid, and just feels more pure.  The 3D graphics also seem improved to me - everything is just smoother and the detail appears improved.  Goals follow patterns of play, with some bizarre moments also! Just player the squad friendly and the keeper whacked it against my strikers head and it went straight in.  Bad decision, but funny.

Hopefully some constructive feedback on items that weren't so great

• The match itself.  I have no idea where to look or what is going on.  My eyes are constantly scrolling horizontal and vertical and I still felt I missed it all.  The attached screenshot - Only a few have ratings (perhaps my analyst hasn't had enough time to know, but when watching a game, you generally know if someone is doing ok after 30 mins).  I have no idea on their condition and had issues identifying a player was injured.  I'll learn the mood faces, but just a lot to take in.  Also, the text bar - why can't that be at the top in-between the scores and settings.  I can't keep up with the text commentary that low on the screen, and so small, with so much else going on
  • The passing charts in the match - not quite sure when they appear but sometimes they do.  It looks like someone took a uzi and sprayed my players circles over the entire pitch.  No idea what's going on there
  • Sideline camera view - are we no longer able to change zoom on that (it was locked in the middle)
  • A little too much purple for my taste throughout, and the white screens are too harsh.  The contrast is quite straining - my old setting was always the dark skin and hopeful something like that returns
  • Feels a lot more focus on morale and chats now - kinda reflects my real world job haha!  But in all seriousness its a bit too much hand holding
  • Dressing room or press conferences - I like the attempt to have everyone sitting around you, but the text player/media boxes are so small (I play on 125% zoom) and feel outside the middle of the screen.  If I were talking to players or media I'd be looking right at them (central view to me).  Just a different interpretation
  • Some font seems fuzzy at times
  • Back to the match again - I'm bloody tired after just one game.  Needs to be much simpler!

Chelsea.JPG

Edited by Phil930

Once again this is not a bugs thread, its a discussion of FM21. If there are any questions about features of the game you can raise it as a separate thread. We politely hope that posters can keep on topic. Thank you.

My feedback, general sense question so not a bug reporting, is that too often players want friend to be brought. Not only my buyings, but also in my news feed for shortlist players. Very regular players unhappy 1 month after joining because broken friend promise.

Ok it is in the game, but maybe it is too common now. Genereal sensing.

1 hour ago, thiagoanjo said:

The game gave me a xG of 0.31 in this play, that isnt a clear cut chance (1.0) ?

Would you expect 100 in 100 scored from such position? 1.0 may be tap in from 0.5m into empty net. In this situation the player is kind wide of the goal, goalkeeper made his options even smaller and the scorer has a player on his back, IMHO 1in3 for this chance is about right.

2 hours ago, Phil930 said:

First off, nice work!  What a great game this years version feels like.  There is a lot to get used to, but early impressions are favorable.  The ME is so fluid, and just feels more pure.  The 3D graphics also seem improved to me - everything is just smoother and the detail appears improved.  Goals follow patterns of play, with some bizarre moments also! Just player the squad friendly and the keeper whacked it against my strikers head and it went straight in.  Bad decision, but funny.

Hopefully some constructive feedback on items that weren't so great

• The match itself.  I have no idea where to look or what is going on.  My eyes are constantly scrolling horizontal and vertical and I still felt I missed it all.  The attached screenshot - Only a few have ratings (perhaps my analyst hasn't had enough time to know, but when watching a game, you generally know if someone is doing ok after 30 mins).  I have no idea on their condition and had issues identifying a player was injured.  I'll learn the mood faces, but just a lot to take in.  Also, the text bar - why can't that be at the top in-between the scores and settings.  I can't keep up with the text commentary that low on the screen, and so small, with so much else going on
  • The passing charts in the match - not quite sure when they appear but sometimes they do.  It looks like someone took a uzi and sprayed my players circles over the entire pitch.  No idea what's going on there
  • Sideline camera view - are we no longer able to change zoom on that (it was locked in the middle)

Ratings - from my knowledge (of monitoring them with the team ratings on the non-highlight screen), they seem to correspond with changes
So in your example, Zouma would have increased his rating (likely to to scoring a goal), whereas the other 5 players would have kept their rating
Not sure if it changes (so Zouma is not highlighted later, seeing no change to his 7.9 rating), but that's my experience

Views - you can actually zoom in by using the mouse scroll wheel
I actually discovered this by accident, but (as someone else that uses that view), I tend to scroll in using the scroll-wheel
It's been part of the last few FMs (I normally line up the top of the commentary line with the pitch sideline, OCD style)

Passing charts (from "the dugout") is a known issue, and will be resolved to show more relevant information, rather than all scenarios

3 hours ago, Rubentus_Juventus said:

My Lord, the match day experience is awful. HATE IT. HATE. Why the clutter? What feedback are you guys reading to make it so cluttered and terrible user-unfriendly?? Simplify it. 

Your opinion which is great but im really like it . Its different and refreshing and once you find out how things work its a lot easier . 

39 minutes ago, Christmas said:

My feedback, general sense question so not a bug reporting, is that too often players want friend to be brought. Not only my buyings, but also in my news feed for shortlist players. Very regular players unhappy 1 month after joining because broken friend promise.

Ok it is in the game, but maybe it is too common now. Genereal sensing.

It is true that very often they ask for a friend to be brought in. I just remove it automatically since there is no way I am bringing in some random dude to my squad :lol:

13 minutes ago, ajt said:

It is true that very often they ask for a friend to be brought in. I just remove it automatically since there is no way I am bringing in some random dude to my squad :lol:

I have had two players refuse to remove it (ok I was desperate to buy them) but it is obviously happenings in AI world too given all the unhappy global players I see in my news feed in early days of season 2 - players that had a move in that summer time.

The frequency of long balls and their accuracy seems to be a little too high. Players still opt for them quite frequently even though there are better options. It is much better than last year, when the only forward pass your midfielders played was the long ball into the winger. 

Second, I'd like to see fullbacks mark the wide players a little tighter. The marking in central regions is pretty good, but it nearly always unravels when your opponent pings a perfect 60 yard cross field pass to a fast pacy winger who is nearly unmarked. Fullbacks should contest these long balls more aggressively.

Other than that the ME is a lot of fun to watch, bar the occasional AI brain fade.

3 hours ago, thiagoanjo said:

The game gave me a xG of 0.31 in this play, that isnt a clear cut chance (1.0) ?

My take:

• Slightly obstructed by defender close behind him
  • Coming in at slight angle
  • Goalkeeper optimally positioned (comes out very quickly)

A fair chance, but nothing spectacular. Not sure if xG takes striker's feet into account (stronger vs. weaker foot), but that could be a factor too. Certainly not a 1.00 xG chance though, you could maybe argue for that if the shot was completely unobstructed and came from central areas of the 6-yard box.

This xG quiz can be quite useful. Chances can be hard to judge even in real life, so I wouldn't take FMs visual engine at face value (it's just trying to translate what match engine is saying the best it can, stats are the real meat of FM).

vor 9 Stunden schrieb XaW:

You do know you are playing a beta version, right? Not something considered a finished version and you have to expect bugs? If this were in at release, I'd agree with you.

How would you know if it's a bug or a new feature? And you can't really compare this to a real beta .

9 hours ago, bielsadidnothingwrong said:

having to individually de-select all the players in the individual chat prompt for the team talks is so tedious, boxes should not be checked by default for a prompt for 1-on-1 interactions! come on guys, some of these problems are just silly.

known issue to be addressed :)

What do you think about the match engine of FM21?
At 21, players seem to make passes that are sharper than 20 and try to recognize and use their teammates well. But as the offense got better, the defenders were too weak. Defenders don't react very well to challenging through passes. It's like seeing Manchester United defenders. When it is officially released, I hope the defense will be strengthened. 
What do you think?

39 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

My take:

• Slightly obstructed by defender close behind him
  • Coming in at slight angle
  • Goalkeeper optimally positioned (comes out very quickly)

A fair chance, but nothing spectacular. 

A ~0.3 xG is actually a fairly typical score for a one on one (no wonder players are always such frustrated, even at Fifa -- in their mind it is indeed a 1xG). That's a big chance in the bigger picture, btw. Anything at about ~0.25 and more would be. The average xG is but ~0.1. :) So, looks fairly accurate.

Edited by Svenc

Anyone knowtice that sometimes you give your team talk (in changing room scene) and next screen is 22 players in team formation on the pitch clapping the crowd? In their match kit? 

It seems weird they would all go into dressing room for talk then return to pitch as if for game all at same time and stand in formation. Maybe in tracksuits walking in a group etc.

Is anyone else noticing that dribbling is lacking in the ME, especially through the middle of the pitch? My creative midfielders, all pretty good technically, are averaging around 0.2 dribbles per game and even my wide players are only just above 1.0 whilst my striker (Neal Maupay, a decent if not spectacular technician) hasn't completed a dribble all season. Linked to this, 25 players in the Premier League have 100% tackle success rate. Finding that passing, movement, decision making is so much smoother and better than in FM20 but this lack of flair seems to make it easy for negative teams to sit deep to nullify superior opponents.

Some feedback on the news items you get when you have a player shortlisted.

In FM20 I got transfer/contract news about players I had shortlisted but not too much else, which was great. In FM21 I am getting news items about my shortlisted players winning player of the month awards, which I am not interested in.

I remember a few versions ago you could decide what news you wanted about shortlisted players, is there a way to do this in FM21? If not, would it be possible to get rid of some of the less important news items, so my inbox isn't clogged up?

I understand this is my personal opinion and some people might like getting also these news items, so a way to choose which ones you want would be great.

Thanks.

Edited by frank_olaf

@Hibs1875 sounds like it could be a bug, worth posting in here: https://community.sigames.com/forum/803-user-interface/

@fidelitywars might be worth raising to SI as an issue, with examples from your games if you have them, best raised in here: https://community.sigames.com/forum/800-match-engine-ai-and-tactics/

@a5864003 issues with defending are well worth raising as a possible ME issue, especially with examples, can be done in here: https://community.sigames.com/forum/800-match-engine-ai-and-tactics/

@turgi you can raise issues with things not displaying correctly here, screenshots will help: https://community.sigames.com/forum/803-user-interface/

@ajt if you're feeling shouts aren't working right. It can be like Seb mentioned, but if you've got specific examples in games it's potentially going to come under the Match Engine AI so worth posting in here: https://community.sigames.com/forum/800-match-engine-ai-and-tactics/

@mlssmith if you've got highlights set and they're not working can you raise it and ideally provide a save game, this forum seems best: https://community.sigames.com/forum/809-all-other-gameplay/

Is it just my game when dragging and dropping players to make subs or switch positions in the tactics screen during a game it seems to do what it wants and is very clunky and difficult to get right?

Often I end up with wrong players subbed on or players swapped playing in the complete wrong positions ie. CF at RW and usually I don’t notice till I’m back on the pitch and it’s too late and now I’ve wasted a whole sub and have to move my tactics around to fit my players which is already a slow process due to the UI.

Also not a fan of having to click away to get away from the pop up of hovering over the info button on a player, previously you would just move away the mouse and the pop up window would disappear, maybe this can be turned off in preferences and I’ve missed it? But if not again it’s slow and clunky.

Apart from those major annoyances and maybe some scouting and UI issues probably the best beta I’ve played so far.

Have gone through four youth intakes now and have been pleasantly surprised to see some genuine talent coming through.

Quality seems to have gone up as I have improved my junior coaching/youth recruitment too.

This season 3x four star regens and last year I had a 5 star who is good enough for my first team at age 15.

Not sure what other people are experiencing but seems very promising for youth saves :thup:

SI should have just made the first season as it would have been without covid.

Yes, I know we have covid in real life and football is having to cope with a congested schedule up to Christmas. I also know I like realism in FM.

But this first pre-season has really dragged for me because the game is not representing the late end to the 2019/20 season. The schedule in the game just reminds of all the rubbish that has gone on in the real world in 2020, but it's as if there is no reason for it in the game.

I am not satisfied and disappointed  with the heart symbol, which is a new feature for player conditions.

In old games, I could rest my players according to their condition percentages. There's a big difference for me, even between 90 percent and 80 percent. I want this feature back. Anyone can continue with the heart symbol or choose a percentage

Edited by _TaYFo_

Do people think this is a bug, or is there some behind the scenes reason why 72 is ordered above 87?

FM21_orderbyrec.png.0c379cb78c56f99fef5fff7beaad8057.png

I have no other columns selected to be ordered, just rec.

I don't understand the ordering. There are recs in the 50s in bright green and recs in the 60s in yellow.

It appears it is scout recommendation I have selected, but the number listed on screen is the average between scout rating and analyst rating. It's confusing.

I think I'll bug it.

8 minutes ago, anagain said:

SI should have just made the first season as it would have been without covid.

Yes, I know we have covid in real life and football is having to cope with a congested schedule up to Christmas. I also know I like realism in FM.

But this first pre-season has really dragged for me because the game is not representing the late end to the 2019/20 season. The schedule in the game just reminds of all the rubbish that has gone on in the real world in 2020, but it's as if there is no reason for it in the game.

Yep there was really no need to make any changes relating to covid. The first season is just another reminder of the misery 2020 has brought. If SI subscribe to the notion that their game is a form of escapism, then they should go all in, not partially. 

Has anyone else noticed a bug whereby you can't drag certain players on your tactics screen if you have quick selected a formation?

I reported such a bug yesterday in UI bugs but I'm not sure if SI have seen it. The thread has views but no response.

It's not game breaking. I am able to move some players and that seems to trigger the ones I couldn't move being moveable, but it is damn annoying.

I don't like to bump threads, but I think it needs to be seen. Are any QA workers going to be scanning bugs today, being a Saturday? @Neil Brock

Edited by anagain

1 hour ago, Showerman said:

Is it just my game when dragging and dropping players to make subs or switch positions in the tactics screen during a game it seems to do what it wants and is very clunky and difficult to get right?

Often I end up with wrong players subbed on or players swapped playing in the complete wrong positions ie. CF at RW and usually I don’t notice till I’m back on the pitch and it’s too late and now I’ve wasted a whole sub and have to move my tactics around to fit my players which is already a slow process due to the UI.

Also not a fan of having to click away to get away from the pop up of hovering over the info button on a player, previously you would just move away the mouse and the pop up window would disappear, maybe this can be turned off in preferences and I’ve missed it? But if not again it’s slow and clunky.

Apart from those major annoyances and maybe some scouting and UI issues probably the best beta I’ve played so far.

I've seen it, and I was chatting with someone on discord that had seen it.

I had actually thought it was me missclicking at first to be honest.

Have a look in the UI bugs forum. It may be known.

4 minutes ago, anagain said:

Do people think this is a bug, or is there some behind the scenes reason why 72 is ordered above 87?

FM21_orderbyrec.png.0c379cb78c56f99fef5fff7beaad8057.png

I have no other columns selected to be ordered, just rec.

I don't understand the ordering. There are recs in the 50s in bright green and recs in the 60s in yellow.

It appears it is scout recommendation I have selected, but the number listed on screen is the average between scout rating and analyst rating. It's confusing.

I think I'll bug it.

I’ve noticed that that is an overall recommendation of scout + analysts so you could be looking at say Haaland and the scout says 90 analyst says 50 and now his overall recommendation is 70, you need to hover over the number and then it gives you a breakdown.

6 minutes ago, Showerman said:

I’ve noticed that that is an overall recommendation of scout + analysts so you could be looking at say Haaland and the scout says 90 analyst says 50 and now his overall recommendation is 70, you need to hover over the number and then it gives you a breakdown.

Yeah, you're right. I just think it's confusing to order it out of sequence.

I have looked in custom previews to find a column for scout rating and analyst rating, but there is none. I want the column order 100 down to 0 for scout recommendation, not an average of scout rating and analyst rating ordered by scout rating.

EDIT: Ok, the lack of sorting of scout recommendation is known. Just checked.

Edited by anagain

10 minutes ago, anagain said:

Has anyone else noticed a bug whereby you can't drag certain players on your tactics screen if you have quick selected a formation?

I reported such a bug yesterday in UI bugs but I'm not sure if SI have seen it. The thread has views but no response.

It's not game breaking. I am able to move some players and that seems to trigger the ones I couldn't move being moveable, but it is damn annoying.

I don't like to bump threads, but I think it needs to be seen. Are any QA workers going to be scanning bugs today, being a Saturday? @Neil Brock

Yeap, I encountered it as well. I checked and it has been reported.

I do think this screen should have the player's contract expiry date on it.

FM21_TransferInfo.thumb.png.8a5b6e56e235dd2ddd3e6dc09724a522.png

I think that the amount of time left on a player's contract is key in how much I might get for him. If I am setting the amount I am asking for the player then it would be nice not to have to go searching for his contract details first. Plenty of room for it in the top bar, under contracted to, value etc etc.

I am seeing some really nice goals in the beta so far. A lot more nice interplay between players working the ball into good positions and passing to players making that movement.

Also the CM(A) is back to actually being a central threat and interplaying with the striker. Very encouraging, a big improvement over FM20. 

2 minutes ago, Broken_Record said:

Sorry, if this already answered but is there any particular reason why the game is nowadays by default showing the opposition role selection during matches? 

Forgive me, but not sure I follow exactly. Can you include a screenshot?