Football Manager 2021 Early Access Beta Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, DP said:

Any cases of people using gegenpress and not having the players for it/getting fatigued?

Would love to see fatigue or condition having a big impact in the later stages of the game. 

I've conceded loads of goals this season late on using a high pressing system. After about 75-80 mins my midfield is dead. Little niggling injuries have also seen an increase too.

1 hour ago, wattzy said:

Is that not what happens in real life lol?

Maybe give a bit more detail as to where you think the issues lie with what you’ve said.

Not really if they are a couple goals down they would adapt and try a get goals back not just sits back feels like Ai doesn't adapt to situations in game aswell as it should even Leeds Biesla parked the bus for 90 mins that would never happen in real life Teams need to show a Variety of Systems which they don't in Big away games

Edited by Mcfc1894

On 10/11/2020 at 20:47, fidelitywars said:

Sorry but this is absurd; stuck on this screen - resolution options seem utterly broken?

image.thumb.png.63d077c85d83a9dd2c6d48de2b3fe2e0.png

Try updating graphics card drivers.

On 10/11/2020 at 20:43, fidelitywars said:

Seems impossible to use windowed mode? I choose it on preferences, it prompts if I wish to change, click 'yes' and nothing happens. Cursor has to be hovered 2 cms over all menu options for them to be active on full screen mode; pretty much unusable. Anyone else having this problem?

Windowed mode works fine for me. You should report this in the fm21 bugs forum not here.

On 10/11/2020 at 20:43, CharlieRow said:

My game keeps freezing on the create a manager section, has done it twice now :( 

Could well be my laptop but wanted to know next steps if possible?

image.jpg

Go you have a virus program? If so make sure to set it up to ignore the Football Manager folders. I remember this being an issue in the past

On 10/11/2020 at 20:47, fidelitywars said:

Sorry but this is absurd; stuck on this screen - resolution options seem utterly broken?

image.thumb.png.63d077c85d83a9dd2c6d48de2b3fe2e0.png

Try updating graphics card drivers.

16 minutes ago, DP said:

Any cases of people using gegenpress and not having the players for it/getting fatigued?

Would love to see fatigue or condition having a big impact in the later stages of the game. 

As standard I have been switching from a gegenpress to a different, more defensive tactic at around the 70 minute mark in every match. This is okay if I am winning (or happy to draw) but I've yet to find a suitable alternative for when I am losing. The players definitely suffer if I try to maintain the press for an entire match though.

14 minutes ago, kiwityke said:

I've conceded loads of goals this season late on using a high pressing system. After about 75-80 mins my midfield is dead. Little niggling injuries have also seen an increase too.

It happened to me as well, but just for context:

- I never really liked the new training system, so I left it to the Assistant Manager. The only training I get involved in, is individual training for both the First Team and U18s. This will be key later on.

- I play as AC Milan and had a fantastic first half of the season, with very good fitness levels and managed to get the pressing working the way I wanted  (not gegenpress, but a more controlled and focused style of pressing)

- Second half of the season was an uphill battle in all regards: my team failed in pressing the opponents efficiently and lost the ball in key areas which resulted in my team conceading easy goals. As I progressed towards the end of the season, the issue only became worse and worse for me, so I had to change my 4-2-3-1 to a 4-4-2 diamond and stop pressing high. Used a much lower line of engagement and a lower defensive line and pressed the opponent hard, but only when they reached my final third. Yes, it was risky, but it worked as I managed to salvage my season and finished 3rd in the league and winning Europa League. I esentially stopped spending energy pressing high and instead spent energy breaking forward on the counter.

With regards to what you said, I don't know how you have set up your general training or if you delegated it to the Assistant Manager (like me), but I think there is where the "problem" lies. I tried to keep an eye out on my Ass Man's general training in the second half of the season and .... he was doing it worse than I would have done it. He didn't seem to factor in the fact that the team is getting more and more tired and he didn't really do much to preserve their fitness levels. I am now starting my pre-season 2021-2022 and I think I need to properly learn this tedious training system just so I don't have to rely on my Ass Man. Hope this gives you some perspective.

Edited by SebastianRO

6 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

The game's easy they say. It's too easy to just pick any tactic and win they say

Erm...

image.thumb.png.0784a1c65900271de881e4498de064b5.png

I know, I know, it's my tactics. Good challenge though. I actually prefer it this way. 

Hello fellow Eredivisie struggler.

Can confirm that on my end, I really do feel like it's more of an uphill battle to win matches if you don't set up your instructions well. Only won 3 from 8 matches with Vitesse so far- and they were against the teams that were bottom at the time and a 3rd tier side in the cup! It's a bit frustrating but I relish the idea of having to work for success in this world.

Like, I know i'm not a particularly good player. Learning how to become one on my own accord could end up lasting me throughout the whole cycle.

The game's still fast as well which really helps me.

Edited by Minuy600

4 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

It happened to me as well, but just for context:

- I never really liked the new training system, so I left it to the Assistant Manager. The only training I get involved in, is individual training for both the First Team and U18s. This will be key later on.

- I play as AC Milan and had a fantastic first half of the season, with very good fitness levels and managed to get the pressing working the way I wanted  (not gegenpress, but a more controlled and focused style of pressing)

- Second half of the season was an uphill battle in all regards: my team failed in pressing the opponents efficiently and lost the ball in key areas which resulted in my team conceading easy goals. As I progressed towards the end of the season, the issue only became worse and worse for me, so I had to change my 4-2-3-1 to a 4-4-2 diamond and stop pressing high. Used a much lower line of engagement and a lower defensive line and pressed the opponent hard, but only when they reached my final third. Yes, it was risky, but it worked as I managed to salvage my season and finished 3rd in the league and winning Europa League. I esentially stopped spending energy pressing high and instead spent energy breaking forward on the counter.

With regards to what you said, I don't know how you have set up your general training or if you delegated it to the Assistant Manager (like me), but I think there is where the "problem" lies. I tried to keep an eye out on my Ass Man's general training in the second half of the season and .... he was doing it worse than I would have done it. He didn't seem to factor in the fact that the team is getting more and more tired and he didn't really do much to preserve their fitness levels. I am now starting my pre-season 2021-2022 and I think I need to properly learn this tedious training system just so I don't have to rely on my Ass Man. Hope this gives you some perspective.

I delegate it to the Assman I don't think I've looked at the training screen since about 1997.

We've conceded a lot of late goals that I'd describe as being due to tiredness. IE shots from the edge of the area not closed down or players just not getting back into position etc. So I think its working pretty well.

I've been pressing low all season to be honest. High pressing just seemed to result in lots of possession and not many shots or chances.

1 minute ago, kiwityke said:

I delegate it to the Assman I don't think I've looked at the training screen since about 1997.

We've conceded a lot of late goals that I'd describe as being due to tiredness. IE shots from the edge of the area not closed down or players just not getting back into position etc. So I think its working pretty well.

I've been pressing low all season to be honest. High pressing just seemed to result in lots of possession and not many shots or chances.

Yep, I don't even have counter press on this year as I found (after watching full game for a while) that we kept losing our shape. Been so much more solid defensively since changing that.

Can't say I care about possession all that much, last game we had only 39% but won 2-0, with 10 out of 11 shots on target (2.11 xG).

9 minutes ago, Minuy600 said:

Hello fellow Eredivisie struggler.

Can confirm that on my end, I really do feel like it's more of an uphill battle to win matches if you don't set up your instructions well. Only won 3 from 8 matches with Vitesse so far- and they were against the teams that were bottom at the time and a 3rd tier side in the cup! It's a bit frustrating but I relish the idea of having to work for success in this world.

Like, I know i'm not a particularly good player. Learning how to become one on my own accord could end up lasting me throughout the whole cycle.

The game's still fast as well which really helps me.

In fairness, three of my first four games were Ajax, Feyenoord and Twente. And I've got PSV next. 

Just now, Dagenham_Dave said:

In fairness, three of my first four games were Ajax, Feyenoord and Twente. And I've got PSV next. 

Half of my matches were against top sides as well.

Lost very late on against Feyenoord and Twente and only salvaged a draw in the 96th minute against AZ after bottling a lead. Yike.

Doesn't the Launch options work at the moment?

I put this in steam: -user_data_location="E:\Sports Interactive\Football Manager"

It seems to work for views:

image.png.1a8d63c3e744b845ace4216f78289d71.png

But not for tactics:

image.png.cbfeb1b833b690adc8b5783fa18460da.png

Also none of my graphics show up in the game (portraits, logos etc.)

Only slight issue I see on the ME at the moment is attacking throw in's seem to be a 80% chance of losing possession and allowing the opposition to counter. Seeing a lot of throw in's in risky areas/straight to the opposition when in the final third, rather than going to a safer option further back.

2 hours ago, craiigman said:

@Rashidi or anyone else I guess, just saw it from your stream.

It's about defence width/ showing inside and outside. How does this reflect with opposition instructions?

Example:

Right winger one side, inside forward the other side. Opp instruction on Inside forward is to show onto weaker foot, so in this example pushing him onto his left/wide. But the right winger you want to stop crosses, so show him inside and onto left foot.

If you then go narrow and show the flanks, how does this affect what happens to the right winger. And then if you go wide, what happens to the inside forward?

I hope that all made sense lol

Let's try and raise and discuss tactical questions in the training and tactics forum. I will be doing streams just answering questions and showing things and how they work on wrt. to the match engine on FM21. Opposition Instructions are pretty important on FM21, so will be devoting a stream to them, trying different things and showing how defensive width/attacking width now operate with the new focus instruction. I want to make sure OIs work the way they are supposed to on the tin.

Just now, LucasBR said:

Can someone confirm to me please?... Complacent is a good body language or a neutral one? English is not my mother language.

It's not really a good one. The Cambridge dictionary defines it as "feeling so satisfied with your own abilities or situation that you feel you do not need to try any harder", so basically they're not giving all of their effort

hace 3 minutos, LucasBR dijo:

Can someone confirm to me please?... Complacent is a good body language or a neutral one? English is not my mother language.

Bad, it means they think the game is already won and can relax too much.

After playing a few matches I agree with positive reviews of ME. Movements of supporting strikers and central play in general have definitely improved, and ME looks more polished and versatile than ever. Also, players roles seem to be more relevant now (maybe for the first time I could really see the different behavior of IF, IW or WP as wide attackers). I was particularly pleased of a 2-1 loss against Inter, where my Fiorentina team played well, controlled possession and had more chances/xG, but Lukaku scored two solo goals out of nowhere and decided the match: it's nice to see top players really have an impact on games, and actually thought those were the type of goals that Lukaku would score IRL (long ball from keeper; knock ball past defenders; finish despite contact). It really made me feel the difference of having Cutrone instead of Lukaku :D.

Only issues I've seen so far in ME are: 1) wide players still won't play first time cross or first time cut-backs even when they have time and space; instead they'd dwell on the ball and wait for defenders to close them down. They might still be able to cross the ball, but the momentum is gone. 2) Long throw-ins when attacking are often REALLY long and REALLY high, not only they look quite unrealistic but keepers also struggle to deal with those.

As much as I'm enjoying the ME I can't say the same about UI especially on match day. Also, I find new system of icons for condition and sharpness quite annoying and not very user friendly. Btw is there a way to add those columns in squad screen? I can't seem to find them, I like having that type of info on squad screen and that's something I was able to do in previous editions of the game.

Edited by kandersson

2 hours ago, benkeay said:

I have to echo what others have said about the match UI - it's just not good compared to previous years. I've just completed my first season and I enjoy most other additions and changes to the game as a whole, even the press conference and team talk screens (although they're not perfect). Also, I don't mind the 'heart' fitness levels. I'd prefer percentages but it hasn't taken too long to adapt to that particular change.

Before I explain my issues with the match UI I will say that I play with 'Commentary Only' - always have, always will - I started playing Championship Manager 97/98! Before anyone says that I should just play FM Touch - I've tried and I really disliked it. I really enjoy the immersive aspect of being a 'Football Manager' I just don't want to watch the match play out. It takes too long in my opinion. 

My first impression issues are -

- The commentary bar is far too small

- Sometimes goals just appear without any commentary

- The tablet should be able to be customised more than it is now 

- The Dugout is a mess. Too many irrelevant pop ups and it's far too large. 

- Aggregate scores not showing for two legged cup ties (i've noticed that SI have said that this is a known issue)

- No match day info on screen - date, time, weather conditions, attendance, location etc. I'm not quite sure why but this may be my biggest gripe with it.

Like I said, I've played a full season and sort of made my peace with it - but I certainly do not enjoy the way match day looks. I don't expect too many changes on the full release unfortunately. If the game was as it is but with FM20 'Commentary Only' match UI - it would be near perfect. Just give me the two team line ups, a customisable column in the middle with all the relevant information in it and a larger commentary bar and I would have been super happy because everything else new is very good. 

Personally like the Commentary bar . Prefer it smaller .The aggregate scores will get fixed as its a known issue . Agree with the match day info so im bemused by that but this is a Beta not the full game . The dug out is ok as you can hide it anyways 

Is this player trait "Play One-Twos" no longer available? can't find it in the passing or movement training where it was in the past. It's lso not available in the Player traits search filters either.

Edited by Icy

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but Apple have just released a system upgrade to OS Bug Sur - is it advisable not to make this upgrade just yet, in regards to FM21, given the issues Catalina caused last year on FM20?

Small teams do generally look to play defensively against big teams, even if they concede a goal or two. That is the best way to play against big teams in general. Defend well and look to hit them on the counter. Even if one or two goals down this is the best idea. If you get a goal on the counter then you are back in the game and can chase it late on, when conceding again is not as crucial. And this happens frequently enough in FM that people complain when it does. "How come I attacked lots but the AI scored one goal from a few attacks and we drew?". If you go all out attack after going two down, you will likely find yourself down 3 or 4 quite quickly. Besides, in the league goal difference can matter, so if you think you cannot win the match why concede 5 chasing it when you can lose by 2? Those goals could matter later in the season. 

Damn, but it's good that the stamina drains on high pressing tactics. Generally, my players are knackered (wide players and midfielders most of all), which is brilliant. (Using Sancho in a high pressing system, and he gets exhausted around 70 minutes). I love high pressing, but you can't do it with all teams (considering stamina and fitness levels) and the game is finally punishing you for it. Also gives me a reason to get into training schedules for a bit now, that's good. I will need to read some training guidelines to see how much rest and exercises should be balanced.

Overall though, love how the match engine plays. And absolutely love the different interpretations players (and their traits makes). I use Cavani in a DLF role, and he plays like a striker should - drops deep, collects ball and runs with it and tries to link up. Whereas, when I play Mata in that role, he drops deep, collects it and tries multiple through balls to players in front of him. I legit cheered when that happened, that was so good! It looks like it's finally the ME where individual player traits also matter rather than just the ability, so good!

Still don't like the UI, but too many people have already covered that in a manner better than I can, so I'm just gonna leave that there.

2 minutes ago, Cartopis84 said:

Can someone who's done with a season or more tell me if elite strikers are scoring a lot of goals (25-30+) in the league this year? And not such less goals like they did in previous versions.

Not really mate, most seem to be averaging 13-20 goals.

29 minutes ago, alian62 said:

Personally like the Commentary bar . Prefer it smaller .The aggregate scores will get fixed as its a known issue . Agree with the match day info so im bemused by that but this is a Beta not the full game . The dug out is ok as you can hide it anyways 

I get it's all about opinions - I almost lose the Commentary Bar I think it's that small! Can  you tell me how I can hide the Dugout please? I've not worked out how to do that.

24 minutes ago, Cartopis84 said:

Was really hoping that would be fixed though I saw a post a few pages back about an avg striker scoring a lot so maybe its possible

oh it's definitely possible, my strikers are scoring for example.

it's just the players like Lewandoski, Kane, Icardi etc that have a bit lower numbers than you would expect.

last season top goalscorer in Bundesliga 2 was Nmecha with 29 goals (opposition manager).

Edited by ajt

On 09/11/2020 at 14:08, rosque said:

Every time SI or Miles on his twitter announce little new feature the more I laugh at people claiming it's a re-skin and same ol' game as FM20,19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12....

I miss new features. So I am waiting for game magazine reviews.

Edited by Tom 99

4 hours ago, kiwityke1983 said:

And now I've just realised Brexit has essentially ruined this save. All foreigners now need a work permit, but due to the work permit rules that means almost zero players willing to come to a Football league club are ever going to qualify for a work permit of course! It's a million percent unrealistic it's never going to happen IRL like this. I really wish they'd give you the option to turn Brexit on or off as it's literally save breaker.

Brexit is the ultimate omnishambles that's driving a lot of foreign workers away from the UK because of work permit issues and the likes, I'd say it's pretty damn realistic.

obligatory.. THey kNEW wHat tHEy WeRe VotING fOR

Ive found that even in real life smaller clubs still play defensive when 2 goals down as they dont want to get torn apart. Goal difference is the real issue when it comes to that sort of thing. You would still rather just lose 2-0 rather than going for it, getting torn apart and losing 4 or 5-0.

Btw, Am I missing something or on tactics screen you are not able to see how well player fits the positsion, need to look over into the list of players? I know the change was made into star rating with positsion, but this has pulled away showing it on the tactical view.

Really liking how VAR is now more unpredictable. I'm 3-2 up away from home in the last minute, when their winger goes down in the box, and it goes to VAR - In FM20, you KNOW this is a penalty, however this incident came back as 'no penalty'. It now adds a a bit of suspense to tight calls. I also like the large pop up informing you it's gone to VAR and then the decision. 

2 minutes ago, saihtam said:

Btw, Am I missing something or on tactics screen you are not able to see how well player fits the positsion, need to look over into the list of players? I know the change was made into star rating with positsion, but this has pulled away showing it on the tactical view.

Yup, that's by design. No idea why they thought this was a good idea, but it is what it is. 

4 hours ago, kiwityke1983 said:

And now I've just realised Brexit has essentially ruined this save. All foreigners now need a work permit, but due to the work permit rules that means almost zero players willing to come to a Football league club are ever going to qualify for a work permit of course! It's a million percent unrealistic it's never going to happen IRL like this. I really wish they'd give you the option to turn Brexit on or off as it's literally save breaker.

The FA's plans are out in the open, it's 100% realistic. I'm personally disappointed that they haven't included a graphic of a giant blue passport for all UK players.

Just now, Dagenham_Dave said:

Yup, that's by design. No idea why they thought this was a good idea, but it is what it is. 

Maybe skins can change this a bit somehow. Just feels goingto this star rating system, really not benefiting at all. It should have been left as it was, then 3 easily readable things can be fit nicely - Positsion, fitness, motivation. Let the star system be only in reports.