Football Manager 2021 Early Access Beta Official Feedback Thread

4 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but has the section you used to get to via the tactics page that showed lots of useful info like when goals were scored/conceded and where assists came from also been removed from the game? 

No mate it has been moved to team report > analyst report. All the information is under there now.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Tiger666 said:

Got a refund, far too much in the matchday experience I hate. I'll see if any design decisions have been reversed in time but I doubt it. FM20 was great apart from the match engine, you fixed that and ruined the matchday imo. FM20 with this match engine would have been perfect. Back to FM17 for me.

Must be a personal thing . I like it a lot . Once you get use to it its fine . Thats progress i guess 

Hey everyone

I will probably cop some hate for this but that's okay because I post this because I care and I want the game to be the best it can be for all of us.

I think it's better than last years and I enjoy playing it, press conferences, match engine, graphical changes, scouting all big improvements.

Where I feel the game is lacking right now is a lack of responsiveness to tactical changes the inabilty for the game to accept /allow the full range of tactics to work effectively in cohesion with the me. In addition it feels there is a lack of responsiveness to appropriate micromanagement (it makes very little difference).

I've just managed through a difficult season where I won lots of games to begin with then went on a losing streak narrowly beat the sack got a few more wins and then went on another losing streak.

During the second losing streak it made no sense at all as I had strengthened the team (not introduced too many new signings either), had 2 tactics now rather one (good familarity, not overly agressive/attacking the roles suited my players, nothing crazy that wouldn't make sense) and had experimented in the games I lost to make a few minor incremental tweaks. here and there. I micromanaged training I was soft/cautious with the players and the media so they did not get downbeat when losing or over confident when winning. Yet despite this they had a 6 game period where they got absolutely hammered 4/5 goals being conceded every game and no level of micromanagement, rotations trying different defensive lines, tweakss made a blind bit of difference it was like watching amateurs play in the EPL.

I then read a post online saying that default Gegenpress is once again an exploit tactic with this years version and what do you know?

A complete nonsensical return to form from my team who instantly went from getting mullered every match to within an instant being a hybrid of George Graham's Arsenal and the 90's dominant Ajax side! Clean sheets galore and winning every game just like that.

Sorry folks but this a massive immersion killer for me, to see my tweaks to other tactics my pep talks my reading scout reports and setting marking/pressing instructions on specific players do nothing to improve my results yet a plug and play tactic within an instant changes the team with zero effort on my part. I go from shipping 4/5 goals a game to clean sheets every game and winning every match over a 10 game period despite making no specific training changes no specific marking of key players during the game, zero micromanagement, literally rewarded just to plug and play and be lazy rather than study the game and use all stats data that are available to me.

It's really disengaging as a player, I think the ME is much better this year but the  tactical side reminds me of last year where you were limited to what tactics you could  use to make a good go of it as the ME just didn't respond well unless you favoured the popular exploit tactics where you could literally play a formation and players that make zero sense and win everything!.

Such shame to see that this is still an issue when everything else you've implemented feels really good!

For those that are doubting me as an experiment I tried the same approach ie no micro management with other tactics at the same stage I introduced the default Gagen and I was still shipping goals in left right and center this is including  using tactics of my own and default possesion tactics etc using the same defensive setup as Gagen having a very good defence 2 holding midfielders the rght blend pf support,defend,attack duties. It was only when I picked default Gegenpress that I was simply unstoppable despite morale being so messed up as I had been getting stuffed 6 games in a row. My team become a superpower all of a sudden despite me not doing anything outside of pressing continue and play match!

Edited by FMLegend1983

1 hour ago, thiagoanjo said:

Are you feeling the xG rate is not that accurated? Imo, some shots are very underrated, some clear cut chances are getting like 0,03ish xG

Had a missed chance where the “commentator?” Said he missed a sitter, yet the xG was 0.01 I think. Also wasn’t a sitter so commentator thing was wrong lol

Also in a couple of games where I have won 7+ in friendlies, even though my goals weren’t what has been described as high xG I was at 3.65 or something after the game.

So not too sure what’s going on. Will probably just ignore it.

I have started a Salzburg save as I like to try the ME where you are the best team in the league, as it means other teams play much more defensive. 3 boring 0-0 draws so far.

Going to keep at it for a few more games, but so far very boring. Probably a tactics issue, but does seem like could run into a lot of same issues of previous ME in this regard.

26 minutes ago, craiigman said:

Had a missed chance where the “commentator?” Said he missed a sitter, yet the xG was 0.01 I think. Also wasn’t a sitter so commentator thing was wrong lol

That's quite realistic, actually. :D https://statsbomb.com/2016/10/xcommentary/
Here's a nice test: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40699431

Edited by Svenc

16 minutes ago, Svenc said:

That's quite realistic, actually. :D https://statsbomb.com/2016/10/xcommentary/
Here's a nice test: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40699431

Haha yeah I know, was also thinking that. But then also worried how it reflects on the player in terms of morale. Like last year if a player missed a penalty it was like end of the world for them type thing.

But yes all to be taken with a lump (not pinch) of salt 😂

40 minutes ago, craiigman said:

I have started a Salzburg save as I like to try the ME where you are the best team in the league, as it means other teams play much more defensive. 3 boring 0-0 draws so far.

Going to keep at it for a few more games, but so far very boring. Probably a tactics issue, but does seem like could run into a lot of same issues of previous ME in this regard.

Yep AI is yet again way, way too defensively minded. I was really enjoying my early season games as I was an unfancied team. However due to being up the top end of the table the last 2 months of games have been a tedious slog due to the AI just going ultra defensive against me even when I'm away from home.

I a championship team beat Chelsea at home 1-0 mainly due to them just defending for 88 minutes and only trying to score in the last couple of minutes.

God its boring.

my feedback of the game so far

the actualt game looks good, although some of the changes are changes for the sake of it, the game has a nice feel and nice flow to it.

the heart icons are silly for me and are there to try and impress the console boys and girls who might not be able to cope with looking at too many numbers.

in real life we deal with fitness in terms of numbers so the hearts don t make sense. you give fitness tests and its more accurate to give a % of how fit the fitness coaches think your player is. everything in the fitness centre is measured in numbers and then we think that dissapears 

the transfer market seems a little all over the place, too many throwing their toys out their prams at the slightest thing. foden wants to leave city by december 

the match engine looks kind of good and on face value nothing springs out. but tactically nothing works. i tried all different tactics as an experiment and they all play the same way. crosses are non existent. the best wing backs in the game dont get one assist. 

the midfield seems ok buit we re back to that pin ball type passing doesnt look at all real 

sliding on ice is still there with keepers seemingly gliding along the line to make a save which looks wierd 

so good game and for a beta deffo promising but a bit of work to do

Game seems ok, but its clear offsides are broken.

The offsides don't take into account what happened or who played the ball. 

So for example if Mount plays Werner through, and Werner scores. But Odoi was 1mm offside on the other side of the field and no where near the ball, goal doesn't count as its offside. 
Seen it happen a dozen times. 

Happens a lot from corners. Ball gets crossed in. Zouma heads it at near post, but Werner was at far post (ball didnt get that far) and 1mm offside, so doesn't count. 

Match Engine still showing the same Ai problems as last year we're most away sides when your a big side sit back for 85 minutes at least a game no matter the score line. The graphics Engine has improved though which is a positive 

2 hours ago, thiagoanjo said:

Nah, they will probably buff defense after beta, cause it is pretty obivous the attack is outplaying defense atm.

I'm seeing some really strong defensive displays from AI sides as well as my own. As well as accurate top scorers and goals per game on line with real life. And I'm a defence lover

26 minutes ago, Sarin1 said:

So for example if Mount plays Werner through, and Werner scores. But Odoi was 1mm offside on the other side of the field and no where near the ball, goal doesn't count as its offside. 

Happens a lot from corners. Ball gets crossed in. Zouma heads it at near post, but Werner was at far post (ball didnt get that far) and 1mm offside, so doesn't count. 

Can’t say I’ve seen this almost half way through the season. 

You need to raise this in the bugs forum though.

5 minutes ago, eusebio1 said:

I'm still struggling with the scaling options - 85% isn't sufficient, and the next option of 50% makes it far to small. Can we please implement an option of 75% and/or 70% scaling?

I would massively appreciate that! 

I agree, 75% would be the sweet spot for my laptop... I am forced to use the attributes option on the player profile because otherwise I cannot see the players season stats - or at least only one line. Not ideal.

I must say though, except my scaling criticism, I am not feeling quite so in control with the match as it flows.. yes its better but I dont feel I can get to things quickly enough. AND i keep changing the stats view of the squad )in between matches stats onscreen) to body language but it resets to the general view come the next match..

5 hours ago, h3nrique_SEP said:

this ME still produces few goals, little more than FM20, but less than FM18, i hope SI can somehow "increase" the number of goals for the final version

I hope not! Realistically speaking most of the games in professional football end with 2-3 goals.

40 minutes ago, Sarin1 said:

If you have clear examples of errors, then please report them in the Bugs forum as they won't get seen in this thread

9 hours ago, Gingerdilligaf said:

Strikers maybe a little overpowered. Won a pre season friendly 6-2 with a particularly average forward scoring all 6 goals. Also suffered a 4-2 defeat & opposition striker bagged all 4 goals

Strikers are stronger now, which was desperately needed, but if anything they still aren't quite strong enough. You'll never see Messi, Ronaldo, Lewandolski ect score as many goals in one season on FM, as they do in real life. 

If someone has played long term, can you give some insight how finances and trasnfers are going later on? Is there more effect on finances? And also how is Barca doing, they should have huge problems currently.

9 hours ago, Tiger666 said:

Got a refund, far too much in the matchday experience I hate. I'll see if any design decisions have been reversed in time but I doubt it. FM20 was great apart from the match engine, you fixed that and ruined the matchday imo. FM20 with this match engine would have been perfect. Back to FM17 for me.

FM touch is probably for you! 

11 hours ago, hagedisboy said:

Wow SI, you did a great job this year. I gave you a lot of stick in the past because I didn't think the ME was very good, but it really is this year. Thank you for listening to us and matching, maybe even surpassing the high expectations of most players. And you did it in the middle of a pandemic. Great work!

However, the game is not perfect (ofcourse it's not, how could a video game ever be perfect). Two things I would love to see are:

- Show the name of the player that assisted when a goal is scored. It was in the game previous years but I haven't seen it so far.

- Make it more clear when a player has picked up a knock. I've seen the complaint on here before, so you probably already know what I'm talking about.

Also, there are a lot of penalties given. Maybe a little too many...

But, as I said before, overall the game is far better than last year's and I'm genuinely enjoying it so far. Keep up the good work!

Maybe the assists and knocks get added to the notable events section --- seems a lot of unused space there!

Have to throw a comment. FM21 is great but the way people are reporting bugs at the bug forum is a disaster. We all want polished FM so before you report something read HOW. It's waste of time for you and SI to report something without .pkm or time "example 92:21 leading team goes attack". Or even save game IF NEEDED.

This is guide for ME bug forum reporting.

11 hours ago, Tiger666 said:

Ok I have all the ratings here but he got injured again and there's no notification. Am I supposed to be watching these little hearts all the time to spot if a player gets injured? Your Assistant Manager used to notify you if a player got injured.

Capture.PNG.372d379ff03c0253957f928b67cf9666.PNG

pretty sure he still does --- as a pop up lower left (in full match 3d view at least) -- problem is it isn't a persistent popup...those assistant advice need to be more visible for those not using the highlights w/ the dugout function.  

14 minutes ago, zakbrown96 said:

FM touch is probably for you! 

No chance, I'm in to the full fat version, spreadsheets, data and all. I just can't stand the way this version is presented. Maybe I'll change my mind when skins come out assuming they can rescue the matchday UI.

And now I've just realised Brexit has essentially ruined this save. All foreigners now need a work permit, but due to the work permit rules that means almost zero players willing to come to a Football league club are ever going to qualify for a work permit of course! It's a million percent unrealistic it's never going to happen IRL like this. I really wish they'd give you the option to turn Brexit on or off as it's literally save breaker.

Edited by kiwityke1983

@Rashidi or anyone else I guess, just saw it from your stream.

It's about defence width/ showing inside and outside. How does this reflect with opposition instructions?

Example:

Right winger one side, inside forward the other side. Opp instruction on Inside forward is to show onto weaker foot, so in this example pushing him onto his left/wide. But the right winger you want to stop crosses, so show him inside and onto left foot.

If you then go narrow and show the flanks, how does this affect what happens to the right winger. And then if you go wide, what happens to the inside forward?

I hope that all made sense lol

I had hoped gegen press would be buffed but nope just the same overpowered tactic. ME not liking crossing at the moment I've got two wide players with crossing attributes and ones needed for it and yet they can't hit my 6ft4 target man. Laughable really. 

Too many clicks to get through to the match, for me too many pointless screens that don't really offer much. 

Hating the dugout slide on match day. Can't even get rid of it. 

Apologies if posted already, I must have missed. On the Team bar at the bottom of the screen in match, when a player scores they get the football in the top left of their square, but when they score again this doesn't change. maybe add a x2 or x3 or a second or third football. Thoughts? I am not sure this is a bug rather than an oversight or a preferred UI change.  

42 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

And now I've just realised Brexit has essentially ruined this save. All foreigners now need a work permit, but due to the work permit rules that means almost zero players willing to come to a Football league club are ever going to qualify for a work permit of course! It's a million percent unrealistic it's never going to happen IRL like this. I really wish they'd give you the option to turn Brexit on or off as it's literally save breaker.

False. I managed to get plenty of foreigners in for my League Two Halfiax side on FM19. Just had to pay a slightly higher wage

I have to echo what others have said about the match UI - it's just not good compared to previous years. I've just completed my first season and I enjoy most other additions and changes to the game as a whole, even the press conference and team talk screens (although they're not perfect). Also, I don't mind the 'heart' fitness levels. I'd prefer percentages but it hasn't taken too long to adapt to that particular change.

Before I explain my issues with the match UI I will say that I play with 'Commentary Only' - always have, always will - I started playing Championship Manager 97/98! Before anyone says that I should just play FM Touch - I've tried and I really disliked it. I really enjoy the immersive aspect of being a 'Football Manager' I just don't want to watch the match play out. It takes too long in my opinion. 

My first impression issues are -

- The commentary bar is far too small

- Sometimes goals just appear without any commentary

- The tablet should be able to be customised more than it is now 

- The Dugout is a mess. Too many irrelevant pop ups and it's far too large. 

- Aggregate scores not showing for two legged cup ties (i've noticed that SI have said that this is a known issue)

- No match day info on screen - date, time, weather conditions, attendance, location etc. I'm not quite sure why but this may be my biggest gripe with it.

Like I said, I've played a full season and sort of made my peace with it - but I certainly do not enjoy the way match day looks. I don't expect too many changes on the full release unfortunately. If the game was as it is but with FM20 'Commentary Only' match UI - it would be near perfect. Just give me the two team line ups, a customisable column in the middle with all the relevant information in it and a larger commentary bar and I would have been super happy because everything else new is very good. 

11 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

False. I managed to get plenty of foreigners in for my League Two Halfiax side on FM19. Just had to pay a slightly higher wage

Under the system in FM21 (note not FM19 which is 2 years old)  wages don't come into the Work Permit system...amazing that 2 completely different games work differently.

33 minutes ago, ai2ker said:

Crossposting from the UI forum, because I didn't know about this thread

Don't know yet how much of this will make it across to FMT (which is what I play), but from viewing plenty of streams of full-fat FM to see what the ME seems to play like, it strikes me that UI stylistic choices have been allowed to take precedence over ergonomics in a number of places. 

Edited by rp1966