Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Updated this morning and since then can't add any downloaded or saved tactics to the game, all the folders look empty even though the have .fmf files in.  Anyone else noticed this?

Defo broken, can't see anything in any system folders.

Edited by macca72

Have played half a dozen games since the change.  

Seems to have dropped the chances created for both sides.  Nothing game-breaking but seems to be a fair few set piece goals still.  Goal types slightly improved with a couple of great goals from my IF from thorough balls inside the full back that were very pleasing.

Struggling to get strikers involved, both of my tactics use a False 9, one alongside an AF and one as a lone striker and in none of the six games (three each tactic) have they made more than 20 passes.  Am thinking of changing the F9 to try something else...

Every chance I create or concede comes from a cross or a standard situation . 

Goals are scored by second balls, standards and crosses and also every attack from the opponent is a cross.  Its so incredible boring and depressing  despite me winning nearly every game .

The ai cant cope with high press attacking tactics at all, too stupid to out-pass the incredible chaotic press , too limited to stretch the narrow defense, its a cross and standard simulator .

Assist  locations in the analysis screen are misleading, it somehow counts deflections and second balls in the box as through balls 

more than half of goals i've conceded are from corners of indirect freekicks. i did everything i can, train defensive set pieces, change players positions on set pieces (go back, man mark, mark tall man...), defend with 11 players, use same players for long time to develop better connection, buy tallest players etc.

but none of them worked, i still concede lots of goals from idf and corners. 

i started thinking that there is nothing i can do to prevent it, the match engine lacks position variety and use set pieces to make me concede a goal.

this years game really disappointed lots of people in terms of match engine. 

i genuinely couldn't understand how its gone worse than last years game.

anyway, it's too late for me to stop playing this game since i've been addicted since 96. i just hope a better game for my personal 25th anniversary next year.

cheers.

So here's my assist statistics after an entire season. Through balls were my most common assist type until my IF broke his leg and I ended up playing a Winger instead of him. Set pieces are definitely important, but the only source of goals? Hardly. 84/113 CCCs converted, so can't complain about my strikers being incapable of scoring either. Also my other players are a tad more involved goal wise now, compared to the Beta ME, where my striker was pretty much my sole source of goals. He got 42 out of 47 this season, compared to 45 out of 51 last season which was on the beta patch. So either way he's been scoring for me, but my total goals increased a lot this season. 90 goals in the league season 1, 80 in season 2 where I was struggling for consistency (Both seasons on the beta ME) and now 113 goals. As for goal locations, I scored 25 out of 172 goals from outside the box and conceded 2 out of 20 from outside, so long shots seem to be toned down quite a bit compared to the beta ME as well. I've also noticed that the corner into really bad headed clearance into beautiful volley goals are a lot less common, which is good to see.

image.thumb.png.ea59aebf7a92d0a7032885cfa014776c.png

So all in all... my team has been running far far better than last season on the beta ME (Heck, last season I conceded 20 goals in the league alone). Part of that was that clubs tried to play more attacking against me due to my poor form, whereas this season pretty much everyone played at least cautious (Even Ajax at home went cautious against me from the start). Defensively... lost 2-1 against Feyenoord, due to an utter nonsense goal, City managed to get 2 goals past me during the CL group stage, but in the quarters failed to score in Manchester, an all out attacking Liverpool was kept to a 2-1 (which saw me going through on away goals) and then karma struck and Atletico in the Final played cautiously against me and just completely screwed me over winning 3-1 with some "I'll dribble past everyone watch me" classics and me not being able to touch the ball, since pressing defensive teams with decent technical ability is rather ineffective.

Cautious mentality just seems rather silly at the moment. Teams will endlessly ping the ball around between defenders, close to no urge to actually make attacking moves and even if you press the opposition as hard as you can nothing really happens. Atletico against me averaged 90 passes per player on their back four and despite going very attacking, very urgent pressing and pushing up even further they could just keep moving the ball around. Also, despite playing so overly aggressive there was actually no threat from counters, the match just passed by with nothing really happening. The second half saw a whopping total of 7 shots. I've done pretty much the same in my away matches in Europe as well (Although with almost certainly more attacking TIs than Atletico and more offensive roles). Managed to beat Bayern 1-0 in München, kept City to a 0-0 and a 1-0 down Liverpool only managed a 2-1 victory in the second tie despite throwing everything they had at me (and despite my set up trying to take advantage of counters just not much really happens in those games).

Either way, CL final with PSV in the third season. Definitely not my worst FM performance.

Edited by Freakiie

I don't know if this was in game before last patch, but well done SI. This is simple, but makes way more sense, if a player with good technique and first touch, he can handle stop the ball and not go out with it nor have to turn around making a big circle.

The player run, touch the ball and then stops it, you can see a lil pulling in the ball: https://i.gyazo.com/3d3fb04e23835f421f87dac872d75a36.mp4 

I like this ME and it's certainly a step in the direction, much better than before and I will certainly enjoy this one. However I feel a lot of goals are random and this one is really hard to explain, I have similar stats as @Freakiie but I hardly see beautiful created chances or 1-2's which is a shame.

16 hours ago, SD said:

AI managers will obsessively retrain every player to play the maximum number of positions the game will allow for him.

Any ST will be retrained to play all three of AM C/L/R, without fail. Any FB will be retrained to play WB/wide M/AM. Any DM/MC will be retrained as CB. Sergej Milinkovic-Savic often ends up being retrained both as a DM and CB, sometimes even ST. 

I can understand a mid-season cover situation due to bad luck with injuries or if a player has an attribute profile that is really suitable for a new position, but this is something that happens with an absurd frequency. Retraining players as anything more than emergency cover is something that happens very sparingly in real football once you get past developmental years.

Using Spurs, the team I follow closely, as an example, I can count on one hand the instances where in recent years a player was fully retrained to a new playing position - FM equivalent of accomplished or better. Dier from CB to DM comes to mind. Winks from MC to DM. Lucas Moura from AMR/L to ST. And we're talking about adding just one position. Meanwhile in FM, left in the hands of the AI, by the time a season or two passes someone like Harry Kane is invariably retrained to play at AM C/L/R.

FM19 suffered from the same issue, and looking at real world football a season and a half past game start, I can't see any of the retraining that in-game was happening with 100% frequency, save after save. I'm willing to bet that a season and a half from now we will see barely any of the retraining that right now in-game is happening with 100% frequency.

Not only this is incredibly unrealistic and immersion breaking, but because of the way positional rating interacts with CA, players close to their peak with often decline or at best stagnate in the hands of the AI. All else being equal, any player developed by the AI is almost always going to be worse than if he was developed by the human player, as if the AI wasn't already bad enough at player development.

This has been the case for ages now.

Yet another thing that "somehow" keeps slipping in the final product year after year.

In fairness to the game many, many players retrain to play different positions in reality. Taking Spurs as the example again, (past and present) Son from W to ST, Kane can play AM as well as ST already, Sissoko started out as a W, Bale as a LB!, Vertongen - LB and CB, Eriksen can play all across the M and AM lines, Lamela - all across the AM line etc etc.

Most footballers in reality play a few positions. 

What I do agree with though is that generally a player will not develop the same way being controlled by the AI as by a human. Although, I do find wonderkid newgens that have blossomed into world beaters by the time they’re 21 very often, I also find that they’re so amazing that they barely grow anymore, with or without my help.

I often look at a real wonderkid that I haven’t signed, say when they’re 23/24 and think, wow, the AI has ruined you. Is a shame that happens. Although they can’t ALL turn into gods I guess. Ross Barkley IRL for instance. He was destined for world domination. Hasn’t really happened for him. And of course there are many, many others.

But I’m not entirely convinced it’s because the AI always retrains everyone that stunts a players growth. Retraining also doesn’t happen to everyone. On my current save Arp (crazy potential) is 24. Hasn’t really developed like I would have expected, but that’s because he’d played like 12 games in the first 4 years of the save for some ridiculous reason. He’s also just a ST still.

After playing half a season the only feedback I have for now is that throw ins are still not fixed. The thrown in taker is still being unmarked after the thrown in and there is no option in to mark or pressure him.

So I'm managing Arsenal in 2027 and have just been offered an interview for the SV Sandhausen job?? They're in Bundesliga 2. 

First off, they couldn't afford to buy out my contract if I were interested

Second, I didn't apply for the job 

Third my manager reputation is double that of the club itself. Probably the strangest thing to happen to me on FM in years.

1 minute ago, Bluebird123 said:

So I'm managing Arsenal in 2027 and have just been offered an interview for the SV Sandhausen job?? They're in Bundesliga 2. 

First off, they couldn't afford to buy out my contract if I were interested

Second, I didn't apply for the job 

Third my manager reputation is double that of the club itself. Probably the strangest thing to happen to me on FM in years.

Shouldn't actually be possible in Germany, but perhaps some kind of Tycoon takeover with ambitions? :lol:

Sounds like a very weird job offer though! Perhaps you have some random clauses in your contract you didn't pay attention to that would make moving easier and thus made them think they have a chance? Or perhaps some random journalist question you answered (then again they shouldn't even be interested in you), that suggested you might be interested?

I am rather positive about the latest patch, enjoying my Newcastle game. I think the ME better now, but still not as good as my favourite (FM 2017)

As points to improve in my opinion:

1. Long Shots still overpowered. Surely long range free kicks

2. Dribbling OP

3. Not enough goals from headers from open play

4. Long throws: even player that don't have a particular LT rating, can create danger from Long Throws. I also don't like that my striker often presents himself as the short option. (is not an instruction from me)

5. Is it only me? I find top teams (ex Man City) way too strong. I come with my second placed Newcastle with high morale, excellent fitness and successful tactics (in 8 games before) to play Man C (1st place) and after less than 25 min it is 4-0. Their players (Sterling, Aguero, …) just run through my defs and score. Finally it ends 6-1. I have seen this scenario in my former saves as well very often. It can happen, but here it seems almost a rule. They even don't create much more chances than my team, but they are just unstoppable individually.

6. Corners: if you wing backs are wingers on "no instructions", they place themselves often in nice positions for short corners. Why can't you just set them in those positions in the set pieces screens?

7. Combination play has improved, but could still be better (as in fm 2017)

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, marcus72 said:

5. Is it only me? I find top teams (ex Man City) way too strong. I come with my second placed Newcastle with high morale, excellent fitness and successful tactics (in 8 games before) to play Man C (1st place) and after less than 25 min it is 4-0. Their players (Sterling, Aguero, …) just run through my defs and score. Finally it ends 6-1. I have seen this scenario in my former saves as well very often. It can happen, but here it seems almost a rule. They even don't create much more chances than my team, but they are just unstoppable individually.

Most likely Man City were set up to play against you based on a majority of factors, and obviously your own tactical approach will come in play. They might have been on a high too.

Probably what worked for you against other teams was unsuited to Man City in particular if you're seen as overperforming.

I stopped playing for a while now hoping for an update to fix number of 1 on 1 chances. So when i saw there is a new update, i couldnt wait to start again. Played a season, new save, and what i saw is not much better. So many goals from set pieces and long shots. I am doing too well. Got into Europa League winning against teams i shouldnt beat at all. Made some simple tactics, skipped friendlies using instant game button and went directly to competitive games. It feels to me that i have absolutely no control over the game. Because i am not creating chances that my team is set up to create. and opponents are not taking advantage over my weaknesses. And it goes the other way around. It feels like all my midfielders have long shots at 20, or that i am set piece genius. It doesnt feel right.

When beta came out i was so impressed thinking with few issues sorted, this will be the best fm ever. But when it comes to match engine, i think, as someone said already, you created the beast that you cant control at all anymore. My opinion is that its time for completely new match engine, if thats possible. Because you hit the wall and there is no going forward.

Outside of the match engine, its an amazing game. Not perfect, there are still some bugs, nothing game breaking. But amazing. You really went far. But then i start the match, and i am not interested whats going on, because it feels like i am out of control, as i said.

And i am begging you to invest some resources and your time into newgens for the fm21. Inside forwards, attacking full wing backs, sweeper keepers, ball playing defenders, they barely exist after 15 years in game. The game says 2035, but it feels like we are back in 80s. Also, all the newgens are so physically overpowered, its insane.

Thanks for proving updates and trying to fix all the issues as fast as possible, it really shows you are working hard and you listen to people here. Keep up and lets hope for something better!

I experimented and looked at the ai in the top leagues last 100 goals on fm19 and the ai from the top leagues last 100 goals on fm20. fm19 has much more variety and realistic goals. The majority of the goals in fm20 come from crossing with an easy header on the end of it its like all the strikers have 20 for heading. fm 19 was much more realistically varied where the majority of the goals were from one v ones like it should be. 

which is a more realistic outcome out of these goal scoring scenarios for both games

FM 19 Percentage

One On One 24
Long range 16
Shot from in box 12
Cross 10
penalty 8
free kick 7
corner and header 6
dribble 6
cut back 5
rebound 3
Header from in box 2
free kick and header 1

FM 20 Percentage

Cross 26
One On One 16
Shot from in box 14
penalty 11
free kick and header 9
Long range 8
rebound 5
Corner and header 5
cut back 3
dribble 2
free kick 1

4 horas atrás, lex311085 disse:

I experimented and looked at the ai in the top leagues last 100 goals on fm19 and the ai from the top leagues last 100 goals on fm20. fm19 has much more variety and realistic goals. The majority of the goals in fm20 come from crossing with an easy header on the end of it its like all the strikers have 20 for heading. fm 19 was much more realistically varied where the majority of the goals were from one v ones like it should be. 

which is a more realistic outcome out of these goal scoring scenarios for both games

FM 19 Percentage

One On One 24
Long range 16
Shot from in box 12
Cross 10
penalty 8
free kick 7
corner and header 6
dribble 6
cut back 5
rebound 3
Header from in box 2
free kick and header 1

FM 20 Percentage

Cross 26
One On One 16
Shot from in box 14
penalty 11
free kick and header 9
Long range 8
rebound 5
Corner and header 5
cut back 3
dribble 2
free kick 1

I hate "cross ball", but unfourtunately, I think the % of FM 20 that you posted is more realisticly accurated.
This is an study, sorry but is in portuguese, https://www.efdeportes.com/efd132/origem-ocorrencia-dos-gols-no-futebol.htm

Were analyzed 63 matches, all the matches from Champions League 2007/08 and Libertadores Cup 2008. 24,30% of goals were scored from Set Pieces (corners and free kicks), 31,25% from crossing, 24,31% from combined moves finishing from inside the box (one on ones, one-twos, deadly passes, etc), less than 5% from counter-attacks, 6,25% from individual moves (when one player do all) and 7,64% from long ranged finishings.

I guess nowadays the teams defend beter and more compact, this is hard for playmakers send deadly ball and make moves at center of the pitch. 

Edited by thiagoanjo

I really love the game since the new update, you can more easily see what is going wrong in a game and change it, i'm once again enjoying seeing the me unfold, i've seen some great goals, great combinations, and there are more goals now, which was my main concern for the previous updates, like beta. I've played a whole season on the new patch, and you can really clearly see the difference between different ability players and how they perform on the pitch. Also what i like the most is that my players are punishing weak teams that are happy to pass the ball between their centre backs for 90mins with good aggresive pressing. One on ones are now much better converted, especially by great players, and it's real pretty too. What i like the most is that the ME now motivates me to get better players and see them perform better, not in a same way as the inferior players. As for the Newcastle-Man City game in a post above, i think it's a matter of opinion, i think no sort of morale or tactical wizard can bridge the real gap between the qualiity of city and newcastle players, except newcastle hoping for a miracle or city having a really bad day, and that is finally presented in a good way

3 hours ago, thiagoanjo said:

I have "cross ball", but unfourtunately, I think the % of FM 20 that you posted is more realisticly accurated.
This is an study, sorry but is in portuguese, https://www.efdeportes.com/efd132/origem-ocorrencia-dos-gols-no-futebol.htm

Were analyzed 63 matches, all the matches from Champions League 2007/08 and Libertadores Cup 2008. 24,30% of goals were scored from Set Pieces (corners and free kicks), 31,25% from crossing, 24,31% from combined moves finishing from inside the box (one on ones, one-twos, deadly passes, etc), less than 5% from counter-attacks, 6,25% from individual moves (when one player do all) and 7,64% from long ranged finishings.

I guess nowadays the teams defend beter and more compact, this is hard for playmakers send deadly ball and make moves at center of the pitch. 

Strange because the most common complaint about FM19 was all the long shot goal from 30 meters away

A few more games in and I can say that I'm pretty happy with me2039 so far. Games are looking much more like the real thing and I'm getting a good mix of attacking moves and goal types - which I'd expect from my tactic as it doesn't emphasise either wing or central play to any great extent.

Other observations:

• Penalties seem to be working  in that they are once again a reliable way to score goals, as they should be - just need to see if the pendulum has swung too far the other way and none get saved
  • Dribbling seems a little too easy for players that don't have great stats in that area and defenders don't cope particularly well against dribbling either - doesn't need a lot to change, but a little tuning would help
  • Defenders seem to be doing a much better job of stepping in to break up play at the edge of the box, which makes for much more realistic turnovers of play
  • Seeing a few more graphical glitches in the way of players in a standing pose sliding from one place to another rather than an appropriate walking/jogging animation being shown.

Edited by rp1966

6 hours ago, thiagoanjo said:

I feel like this has been true for at least a decade. 

At least, for as long as I've been watching football, attacking teams have tended to penetrate low blocks through the sides, usually using a combination of a midfielder, inverted wide player and overlapping fullback to create an overload. It's rare for a player to slide a ball through the middle of a deep defensive line for a striker to run on to. Players who can this are lauded as great playmakers. The snappy, penetrative passing moves that we all love tend to come against sides who are out-of-shape or have been caught on a transition. 

All of this happens on FM. My team were 60 league games unbeaten until recently, so the overwhelming majority of our goals were coming from crossing situations because every team was sitting deep. The odd game I had against a tough team - away to Madrid or Atletico, for example - we scored more goals off through passes because the space was there to do so. 

Where this ME perhaps falls short is in spontaneity and differentiating between players with good attributes (say, between 14-16 at the top level) and those with world class ability (anything above 16 in key attributes). Those on the higher end of the attribute scale should be able to play those difficult passes and invent something out of nothing, but I don't see that very often. The visual feedback I get is that top level players play in a homogeneous way, which in turn makes matches feel monotonous. Elite level sport in reality is entertaining because elite performers do unexpected things, and I think FM could really improve on this front, though I appreciate how difficult this would be to balance. 

Edited by JEinchy

7 hours ago, lex311085 said:

The majority of the goals in fm20 come from crossing with an easy header on the end of it its like all the strikers have 20 for heading.

I have to say, I haven't found this. Before the ME update, most crosses weren't clearing the first man for me, and when they did the headers ballooned. That seems to have been fixed in the update, but I'm still not seeing a disproportionate amount of goals from headers.

10 hours ago, marcus72 said:

This is the biggest point for me. I manage Arsenal and we've gone from decent top four side to world beaters since the patch. Unless I'm facing another top team 9 out of ten I'm going to smash four or five past whoever I'm playing.

19 minutes ago, MatthewS17 said:

So, I'm not too good with dates, but out of curiosity, when should one expect to find information on the winter update? 

You will not find out any info till it is ready to be released- in previous years this has been around the end of February/start of March

8 hours ago, thiagoanjo said:

I hate "cross ball", but unfourtunately, I think the % of FM 20 that you posted is more realisticly accurated.

I also looked at goal distribution in Europes top 3 leagues, Premier League, La Liga and Bundesliga this season and 71% are scored with the foot 16% headers, 10% penalties and 3% free kicks. I think thats more of an accurate representation if you want to look at popular competitions 

3 minutes ago, lex311085 said:

I also looked at goal distribution in Europes top 3 leagues, Premier League, La Liga and Bundesliga this season and 71% are scored with the foot 16% headers, 10% penalties and 3% free kicks. I think thats more of an accurate representation if you want to look at popular competitions 

A cross assist doesn't mean it has to have been a headed goal though. I have 25 corners, 18 free kick and 42 cross assists in my last 50 matches, but only 22 header goals.

44 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

A cross assist doesn't mean it has to have been a headed goal though. I have 25 corners, 18 free kick and 42 cross assists in my last 50 matches, but only 22 header goals.

ok I did the same experiment again and 44% of goals came from headers 42% from feet 14% from penalties, 0% from direct free kicks. in real life it is 71% are scored with the foot 16% headers, 10% penalties and 3% free kicks.  so there we go, this has just become cross/header manager

51 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

Also I don't just want my matches to be realistic, I want all ai matches to be realistic aswell so whatever happens in your individual games isn't nesscesarily a factor in how realistic goal distribution is because it depends on your own tactics

hace 3 horas, JEinchy dijo:

I feel like this has been true for at least a decade. 

At least, for as long as I've been watching football, attacking teams have tended to penetrate low blocks through the sides, usually using a combination of a midfielder, inverted wide player and overlapping fullback to create an overload. It's rare for a player to slide a ball through the middle of a deep defensive line for a striker to run on to. Players who can this are lauded as great playmakers. The snappy, penetrative passing moves that we all love tend to come against sides who are out-of-shape or have been caught on a transition. 

All of this happens on FM. My team were 60 league games unbeaten until recently, so the overwhelming majority of our goals were coming from crossing situations because every team was sitting deep. The odd game I had against a tough team - away to Madrid or Atletico, for example - we scored more goals off through passes because the space was there to do so. 

Where this ME perhaps falls short is in spontaneity and differentiating between players with good attributes (say, between 14-16 at the top level) and those with world class ability (anything above 16 in key attributes). Those on the higher end of the attribute scale should be able to play those difficult passes and invent something out of nothing, but I don't see that very often. The visual feedback I get is that top level players play in a homogeneous way, which in turn makes matches feel monotonous. Elite level sport in reality is entertaining because elite performers do unexpected things, and I think FM could really improve on this front, though I appreciate how difficult this would be to balance. 

What I think we lack in this ME and that is common way to score is one on twos combinations between attacking players around and inside the area, that could be the "new" through balls in modern football.

Edited by Icy

6 minutes ago, lex311085 said:

ok I did the same experiment again and 44% of goals came from headers 42% from feet 14% from penalties, 0% from direct free kicks. in real life it is 71% are scored with the foot 16% headers, 10% penalties and 3% free kicks.  so there we go, this has just become cross/header manager

Funny, but I’m not seeing this with my tactic. Wish Pellegri would score more with his head, but unfortunately he seems incapable atm.

Just now, lex311085 said:

Also I don't just want my matches to be realistic, I want all ai matches to be realistic aswell so whatever happens in your individual games isn't nesscesarily a factor in how realistic goal distribution is because it depends on your own tactics

Just wanted to point out that an assist being considered a cross does not instantly equal a headed goal. If you saw 44% of the goals being headers though, then that definitely sounds problematic.

16 minutes ago, sidslayer said:

Funny, but I’m not seeing this with my tactic. Wish Pellegri would score more with his head, but unfortunately he seems incapable atm.

But I'm saying this as a general ai problem from different games, not just games i'm involved in. Obviously everyone will have different goal distribution because everyone has a different tactic

I like more this last ME. 

Ball possession is better: in the previous me even at standard mentality, defenders try long ball most of the time, while now the look more for CC. 

Wide defenders seems a little bit overpowered in attacking phase. Maybe also cause the are left often free. (Let's me say that my left back go from a 5 assists season to a 15 assist with new ME). 

Now i'm trying a strikerless formations, and i succeded to have a great possession even if i one of the worst team at goal scoring i also conceded very few goals (my team Is prediction to be relegated so Is good)

1 hour ago, FMLegend1983 said:

Lovely central play including a hat-trick from my AMC Olmo!

The problem is that this is not "central play", this is just the same overpowered dribbling we see on the sidelines being applied to central players since the new update.

Edited by Glen_Runciter

2 minutes ago, FMLegend1983 said:

Honestly you guys will never be happy lol :rolleyes:

It was dull boring and negative me before now it's fun entertaining not perfect me you guys still complain I don't think Sigames will ever make you happy!

I watched your video and tbh can't see anything that wouldn't have been possible before the patch. From your comment I was expecting some sort of intricate passing move.

vor einer Stunde schrieb FMLegend1983:

Honestly you guys will never be happy lol :rolleyes:

It was dull boring and negative me before now it's fun entertaining not perfect me you guys still complain I don't think Sigames will ever make you happy!

I dont think you understand what passing football is, not what is shown in your video .

Why the need to acuse other people only because you are satisfied with the game?