Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Nordan said:

Eastern Europe probably not that interested, China the same. Russia calling it blasphemy that Putin wasn't invited. Not sure about India.

@PMLF already suggested they weren't that fussed in Brazil, can't see why that wouldn't hold for most of South America.

The 2018 World Cup final for instance was watched by 1.12 billion people, according to FIFA: https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/2018russia/media-releases/more-than-half-the-world-watched-record-breaking-2018-world-cup

The final between France and Croatia on 15 July attracted a combined global audience of 1.12 billion, comprising 884.37 million viewers tuning in to linear TV coverage and a further 231.82 million out-of-home and digital-only viewers.

15 minutes ago, JJ72 said:

Those viewing figures are just nonsense. Most of the rest of the world were working or asleep or getting on with their lives. 

Many people in this country were working too. Just ludicrous to claim 5 billion. Be lucky to be 1 billion.

Boris Johnson doing the statistics today?

2 hours ago, Confused Clarity said:

Ummmm.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Listen to it. At the start. Listen.

I guess at least one person in ITV's live production team is looking for a new job tomorrow.

Still, of the 5 millionbillionwillion watching it worldwide, probably only about 5 watched it on ITV.

9 minutes ago, Bigwig said:

Watching World War Z on Film4 and they’re not showing commercials as a sign of respect.

A film about the zombie apocalypse is fine but an advert about car insurance is just going too far. 

I wish ****ing YouTube would show the same level of respect.

4 hours ago, JJ72 said:

Those viewing figures are just nonsense. Most of the rest of the world were working or asleep or getting on with their lives. 

Many people in this country were working too. Just ludicrous to claim 5 billion. Be lucky to be 1 billion.

I think it'll depend on how the figures are calculated.  I reckon if it's people watching 15 to 20 mins of the service today, not necessarily live, it'll be much higher than 1 billion.  But the number of people watching the full service will be a lot lower than that.

7 hours ago, JJ72 said:

Yup I didn't watch any of it, seen a few clips which appeared on my Twitter timeline and that's it

Now that's over, it's been kind of fascinating. Not in a callous way, but I remember over the years people joking semi-excitedly about the extra Bank Holiday that we will have when the Queen does go. But now it's happened, pretty much everything being shut, nearly every TV channel showing the funeral - for those not so interested in the royals I'm not sure it quite lived up to the 'hype'. I'm pretty intrigued to know what people thought of it, from all points of view re: the royals.

Here in Victoria, they've made the public holiday on the Thursday rather than the Monday, the day before another public holiday we already have for the AFL Final. 4-day weekend - for those not so into the royals, it couldn't really have fallen any better :lol:.

4 minutes ago, foolsgold said:

Now that's over, it's been kind of fascinating. Not in a callous way, but I remember over the years people joking semi-excitedly about the extra Bank Holiday that we will have when the Queen does go. But now it's happened, pretty much everything being shut, nearly every TV channel showing the funeral - for those not so interested in the royals I'm not sure it quite lived up to the 'hype'. I'm pretty intrigued to know what people thought of it, from all points of view re: the royals.

Here in Victoria, they've made the public holiday on the Thursday rather than the Monday, the day before another public holiday we already have for the AFL Final. 4-day weekend - for those not so into the royals, it couldn't really have fallen any better :lol:.

You get a holiday for the footy? Doubt we'd even get one if England win the World Cup. They'd say 'you already have Christmas day of, what more do you want?' 

Give Truss a few weeks and we'll probably have less public holidays still. 

30 minutes ago, foolsgold said:

I'm pretty intrigued to know what people thought of it, from all points of view re: the royals.

For someone who did it have any interest I had a great day. Went out for a drive (roads were empty) then for a long walk along the beach. It was quieter than normal as expected but there were still plenty of people out who had decided to make the most of the day (the nice weather helped).

One cafe was open on the seafront and the owner had posted online apologising if anyone was offended that they were open, but said she couldn’t afford to lose a day’s trade. Seemed to be a good plan as people were queuing out the door due to everywhere else being shut.

Picked up some pizzas on the way home, although had to wait a while as they were really busy due to being the only place open. Cut the grass on the afternoon.

Tried to see if we could get some petrol but even the self-serve pumps were closed. My wife went to Asda later on for petrol and some bread and milk and said it was bedlam, as if it had been closed for weeks.

Watched a movie in the evening and finally turned on the TV for the first time after 9pm. The only reference to their funeral was both Film4 and the Horror Channel having a tribute page instead of adverts.

I know loads of people online were moaning about it being shoved down your throat but it was easily avoidable if you didn’t want to watch anything.  I certainly appreciated the day off. 

6 minutes ago, Bigwig said:

For someone who did it have any interest I had a great day. Went out for a drive (roads were empty) then for a long walk along the beach. It was quieter than normal as expected but there were still plenty of people out who had decided to make the most of the day (the nice weather helped).

One cafe was open on the seafront and the owner had posted online apologising if anyone was offended that they were open, but said she couldn’t afford to lose a day’s trade. Seemed to be a good plan as people were queuing out the door due to everywhere else being shut.

Picked up some pizzas on the way home, although had to wait a while as they were really busy due to being the only place open. Cut the grass on the afternoon.

Tried to see if we could get some petrol but even the self-serve pumps were closed. My wife went to Asda later on for petrol and some bread and milk and said it was bedlam, as if it had been closed for weeks.

Watched a movie in the evening and finally turned on the TV for the first time after 9pm. The only reference to their funeral was both Film4 and the Horror Channel having a tribute page instead of adverts.

I know loads of people online were moaning about it being shoved down your throat but it was easily avoidable if you didn’t want to watch anything.  I certainly appreciated the day off. 

That actually sounds pretty great. Glad you had a good time, there will have been things about if you’re not after just a pub. Obviously doesn’t really apply to those who wanted to watch the funeral ofc

41 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Pretty much what I have been thinking/saying. Those figures they come out with aren’t even just extremely optimistic estimates, they are literally flat out lies.

It’s weird how those figures just seem to stick and keep getting attached to the event though. Anybody with any common sense whatsoever would know the 2 billion that gets reported with Diana’s funeral is absolute bollocks but it’s still there, mentioned alongside it.

15 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

Carolingian means sons of Charles so doesn't work.

I would have thought the "ian" suffix is more closely defined as "like", or "related to", in a general associative sense, rather than family relations.

49 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Pretty much what I have been thinking/saying. Those figures they come out with aren’t even just extremely optimistic estimates, they are literally flat out lies.

It’s weird how those figures just seem to stick and keep getting attached to the event though. Anybody with any common sense whatsoever would know the 2 billion that gets reported with Diana’s funeral is absolute bollocks but it’s still there, mentioned alongside it.

It's all a bit North Korea 

Being in work this morning has kind of crystallised the main reason behind why I watched the whole thing yesterday. It wasn't really the thing that came foremost to my mind when discussing it here.

Sure, there was the pomp & circumstances, there was the spectacle, the historical context and pure baffling fascination that often comes with these things. But usually with this stuff, I watch for a bit and then I kind of tune out and get on with other stuff. Yesterday I watched it all.

It was because, watching it yesterday, allowed me to completely disengage my brain. I didn't think about anything, particularly, I didnt think about work. Work has been tough lately and it's been hard to completely shut off.

Yesterday actually really did allow me to do that. 

2 hours ago, foolsgold said:

I don't think there is any actual 'hype' - its just an 'oh well at least we'll get a day off for this nonsense' response. 

10 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

Being in work this morning has kind of crystallised the main reason behind why I watched the whole thing yesterday. It wasn't really the thing that came foremost to my mind when discussing it here.

Sure, there was the pomp & circumstances, there was the spectacle, the historical context and pure baffling fascination that often comes with these things. But usually with this stuff, I watch for a bit and then I kind of tune out and get on with other stuff. Yesterday I watched it all.

It was because, watching it yesterday, allowed me to completely disengage my brain. I didn't think about anything, particularly, I didnt think about work. Work has been tough lately and it's been hard to completely shut off.

Yesterday actually really did allow me to do that. 

Glad you found a positive out of it, I’m the same find it really difficult to switch off and live in the moment - and same for me, I managed to switch off from the worries of day to day life and relax 

9 hours ago, mrw072 said:

I think it'll depend on how the figures are calculated.  I reckon if it's people watching 15 to 20 mins of the service today, not necessarily live, it'll be much higher than 1 billion.  But the number of people watching the full service will be a lot lower than that.

I read on twitter this morning that the 5b figure was literally just made up by some spoof account, and has then been seized on without any sort of fact checking / application of common sense by various outlets who just repeated it. 

Although Lindsay Hoyle probably thinks it should have been higher than merely 5b given the earth shattering importance. 

• Administrators

So what we're saying is. the establishment are worse with viewership / attendance figures than Vincent Kennedy McMahon?

42 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

I just want to know what the ratings were for The Emoji Movie 

They've not even released the figures for yesterday yet. Apparently due to 'abnormally large number of viewers'. So I'm afraid you'll have to wait to find out how many people watched the Emoji Movie.