Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't there an old myth that if the crows or ravens or whatever leave the tower then tower bridge will collapse?

I have a vague memory of being frightened by something along those lines when I was a child.

I dunno, the "in good spirits" thing is usually a bad sign. Mentioning nothing about her condition and only her morale. That was the exact word-for-word language that was used about Prince Philip about 2 weeks before he died.

8 hours ago, Ackter said:

Isn't there an old myth that if the crows or ravens or whatever leave the tower then tower bridge will collapse?

I have a vague memory of being frightened by something along those lines when I was a child.

Yup

It is said that the kingdom and the Tower of London will fall if the six resident ravens ever leave the fortress. There are seven ravens at the Tower today — the required six, plus one spare!

Charles II is thought to have been the first to insist that the ravens of the Tower be protected after he was warned that the crown and the Tower itself would fall if they left.

The King's order was given against the wishes of his astronomer, John Flamsteed, who complained the ravens impeded the business of his observatory in the White Tower.

8 hours ago, Ackter said:

The legend we learned in school was that when the ravens die or fly away, the Crown will fall. 

Obviously wish Lizzy the best with her health, but I think her passing might be the catalyst for Australia to leave the Commonwealth. At this point, it just feels like a matter of formality that we’ve stayed in for so long.

1 minute ago, Gandy said:

Obviously wish Lizzy the best with her health, but I think her passing might be the catalyst for Australia to leave the Commonwealth. At this point, it just feels like a matter of formality that we’ve stayed in for so long.

I think it's Barbados that just did move on from having her as Head of State.of course in their case, it's to move on from the legacy of slavery, and The Queen may very well be happy to see them with a new President. 

You'd imagine Charles as King will be less keen to let Australia go, but after the initial good will generated from the life and death of The Queen, one can see how things could go the Republican route.

Just now, vikeologist said:

I think it's Barbados that just did move on from having her as Head of State.of course in their case, it's to move on from the legacy of slavery, and The Queen may very well be happy to see them with a new President. 

You'd imagine Charles as King will be less keen to let Australia go, but after the initial good will generated from the life and death of The Queen, one can see how things could go the Republican route.

I like the UK, but I really don’t see why we are a part of the Commonwealth, or if it’s really mutually beneficial. I’m even at the point where I’d like to see Western Australia declare independence, but after witnessing Brexit, I’d be more than happy to put that on the back burner for now. 

7 minutes ago, Gandy said:

I like the UK, but I really don’t see why we are a part of the Commonwealth, or if it’s really mutually beneficial. I’m even at the point where I’d like to see Western Australia declare independence, but after witnessing Brexit, I’d be more than happy to put that on the back burner for now. 

Oh, I'm with you, and it's hard to know how Charles sees the situation. It may well be a thing where Charles and everybody involved thinks it's time to draw a line under the whole thing. He is obviously a man of strong opinions, and we'll find out wat some of them are when he becomes King. 

You should be optimistic, I feel. 

Does anybody know what Commonwealth countries Charles plans to visit early in his reign? I know the first few months of his reign are all planned out, but I've forgotten what it's called.

Edited by vikeologist

I can’t see there being much that Charles can do if it comes to a referendum deciding to leave. I’m pretty sure there’s no British legal authority at the Federal level, so it would just be a matter of formality?

12 minutes ago, Gandy said:

I can’t see there being much that Charles can do if it comes to a referendum deciding to leave. I’m pretty sure there’s no British legal authority at the Federal level, so it would just be a matter of formality?

Must be surely. Oz has had referendums on it before yeah?

Just now, RTHerringbone said:

What's the actual point of the Commonwealth? Does anyone give a legitimate toss? Are there actually any perks for Commonwealth countries? Seems like a big hairy load of bollocks.

Gives us a pool of labour we can encourage to move to the UK before "accidentally" deporting them and their offspring decades later?

27 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

What's the actual point of the Commonwealth? Does anyone give a legitimate toss? Are there actually any perks for Commonwealth countries? Seems like a big hairy load of bollocks.

I think there’s perks for smaller countries. Australia paid AUD$7.2 million into Commonwealth development programs last financial year, so there’s that. I was under the impression that we pay a tax to the Crown, but that’s apparently not true. 

44 minutes ago, profii said:

oof

I mean to toast her magnificent service to the realm. She's done so much to promote the Kingdom abroad. 

Elizabeth will always be my Queen, even when her spirit leaves the realm and ascends to heaven, where she'll continue to watch over us from afar. 

1 hour ago, Paul Bacon said:

The country will go so over the top when she does die. It was bad enough when Philip died. We werent allowed to send non-critical emails at work out of 'respect' :D

It is a pretty big deal tbf when the King/Queen dies. I would hope for at least a week's national holiday

Edited by Bootador

probably lucky she's the Queen tbh

imagine that being a normal person trying to get an appointment to hospital or even trying to talk to their GP - "yeah, I'll fit you in next Friday, will that do?"

1 minute ago, TM said:

probably lucky she's the Queen tbh

imagine that being a normal person trying to get an appointment to hospital or even trying to talk to their GP - "yeah, I'll fit you in next Friday, will that do?"

A lot of people, especially older people think because they’re on BUPA they’re safe, but ultimately if the NHS is screwed and you need emergency treatment, you’re screwed too. 

19 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

What was the question Gandy - stay or leave?

I've had to have a look on Google. Apparently some of the people that were in favour of becoming a republic voted no due to the phrasing of the question. A fair amount of people wanted it to be a popular vote, rather than the system we have now where the party can oust the Prime Minister and vote their own leader in. Something similar to what the USA has where the President is. the leader of the party for the term, unless they are impeached or legally removed from office. I think it failed as we couldn't decide how the vote would essentially work, but I have an overwhelming feeling that it would pass if put to the populous again.

The Australian republic referendum held on 6 November 1999 was a two-question referendum to amend the Constitution of Australia. The first question asked whether Australia should become a republic with a President appointed by Parliament following a bi-partisan appointment model which had been approved by a half-elected, half-appointed Constitutional Convention held in Canberra in February 1998. The second question, generally deemed to be far less important politically, asked whether Australia should alter the Constitution to insert a preamble. For some years opinion polls had suggested that a majority of the electorate favoured a republic. Nonetheless, the republic referendum was defeated, partly due to division among republicans on the method proposed for selection of the president and dissident republicans subsequently supporting the no campaign.

Funnily enough, Western Australia voted in favour of seceding from Australia, but it was rejected by a joint select committee that was set up by the British Parliament to consider the petition, and then decided that the request could not be acted upon because it did not have the support of the Australian federal government, as required by the 1931 Statute of Westminster. Absolute bulls***.

Edited by Gandy