Football Manager 2020 Pre-Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

I'm disgusted with myself for suddenly having a brainfart through this day that the game was releasing today despite knowing days in advance that it was comin on Nov 19th.

I have no idea what to make of this "disappointment" when I crashed back to reality. :mad::seagull:

It doesn't help that the ME looks brilliant either!

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, 91836 said:

Anyone else finding that nearly all their goals come from wide areas? Even with the focus play through middle TI 

Has this TI been reworked by the way? It's actually oft counterproductive when trying to Play through the middle, as it would squeeze the area there. At least more recent it didn't override any Forward run instructions inherent to the role/Duty picked in central positions, which would only make this more pronounced.

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and everyone is entitled to challenge everyone else's opinion.  Negative feedback is as welcome as positive, but only if it's constructive.  Only listening to people that agree with you - on both sides - isn't particularly constructive.

You're contradicting yourself here. Everyone is titled to their opinion full stop. If it happens to be negative without being constructive, well, unfortunately, you'll just have to deal with it, as it's not your concern, and again, they're allowed their opinion. 
You can't say that they're allowed to be opinionated, then tell them how they should be opinionated. 

3 minutes ago, Svenc said:

Has this TI been reworked by the way? It's actually oft counterproductive when trying to Play through the middle, as it would squeeze the area there. At least more recent it didn't override any Forward run instructions inherent to the role/Duty picked in central positions, which would only make this more pronounced.

I'm finding the same issue without selecting it and for AI teams. Genuinely not sure I've seen a goal yet where the build up play didn't come from out wide that wasn't a penalty, counter attack or set piece 

22 minutes ago, 91836 said:

Anyone else finding that nearly all their goals come from wide areas? Even with the focus play through middle TI 

(and @thejay for the upvote).

Like a lot of TIs, "Focus play through middle" is not a magic button which will force your players to do that.  In the ME, play naturally moves to where the space is so if (for example) you play with a typical 3 man midfield which you may find in such formations as a 4231, 4123DM or a 442 diamond and you come up against an opponent using the same, straight away you have a pack midfield.  The space is typically down the flanks.  So even if you tell your players to focus their play through the centre they might not do it because that's not where the space is.  Player's aren't robots.

I'm not saying you can't use that TI to help, nor am I saying that's what happening here, but it's something to consider.

4 minutes ago, 91836 said:

The player instruction 'play wider' on strikers is still completely broken

If your in match observations have led you to this, the best thing you can do is provide pkms with in match timings of when you see this actually happening in by raising a bug report.

6 minutes ago, MatthewS17 said:

You're contradicting yourself here. Everyone is titled to their opinion full stop. If it happens to be negative without being constructive, well, unfortunately, you'll just have to deal with it, as it's not your concern, and again, they're allowed their opinion. 
You can't say that they're allowed to be opinionated, then tell them how they should be opinionated. 

I can't, but I expect the mods can.  You're of course welcome to be unconstructive, just like the mods will be welcome to infract based on that.

But I guess you'll just have to deal with it, it's not your concern, or something.

9 minutes ago, MatthewS17 said:

I don't think you quite understand how this forum works. There is a link on the GD main page to the forum rules and guidelines, go educate yourself.

Don’t know if this has already been suggested but regarding the board blocking transfer offers doesn’t it make sense that they block it before you actually make the offer? That seems more realistic and is way less annoying as seemingly the selling club gets annoyed when you go to revise the bid and doubles the price...

11 minutes ago, 91836 said:

I'm finding the same issue without selecting it and for AI teams. Genuinely not sure I've seen a goal yet where the build up play didn't come from out wide that wasn't a penalty, counter attack or set piece 

I think the last time there was an actual override of Forward run "encouragements" was when the instruction was still a "shout" and used to be called "Exploit the middle". One of the reasons I've never used it since. IIRC since then it "simply" increases mentality for central Players. However, if central Players are on a role/Duty that encourages them to move forward, a more aggressive mentality naturally may make them time their runs earlier / make their positioning more aggressive, which leads to something that can be quite counterproductive when trying to Open up central spaces.

That would be a separate "issue" though and has likely been discussed.

Edited by Svenc

Just now, Svenc said:

I think the last time there was an actual override of Forward run "instructions" was when the instruction was still a "shout" and used to be called "Exploit the middle". One of the reasons I've never used it since...

That's all great but really has nothing to do with what I just said so I'm not sure why you quoted me. As I said, I'm seeing exactly the same issue without selecting it and with AI teams 

17 hours ago, MatthewS17 said:

Everyone is titled to their opinion full stop.

You're right, everyone is entitled to their opinion.  It's just that if that opinion is laced with abuse ("you're a ******" might be your opinion of someone but it's also abusive) or someone spams the same destructive "opinions" over and over, Mods will get involved ;).

Anyway, how about we all break the cycle of reply/counter/reply/counter ad infinitum (which gets pretty tedious for everyone else) and get back to discussing the game :thup:.

And btw, if someone uses the report button to flag something up to the mods, please give reasons why you make it.

I'm loving this ME so far. Had a slight problem with long balls but it seems that changing one of my defender to cover role helped massively. 

Through balls are still an issue tho, e.g. here Gomes had easy pass to Kean but instead he passed to Richarlison on the left wing (7).

cz14Wfl.png

5 minuti fa, Iwabik ha scritto:

I'm loving this ME so far. Had a slight problem with long balls but it seems that changing one of my defender to cover role helped massively. 

Through balls are still an issue tho, e.g. here Gomes had easy pass to Kean but instead he passed to Richarlison on the left wing (7).

cz14Wfl.png

that sounds as a great example for a PKM in the bugs forum. there is no reasonable explanation why that ball went horizontally and backwards instead of vertically and forward. unless the blue team is defending which seems even more unlikely.

1 minute ago, MBarbaric said:

that sounds as a great example for a PKM in the bugs forum. there is no reasonable explanation why that ball went horizontally and backwards instead of vertically and forward. unless the blue team is defending which seems even more unlikely.

I will do that

2 minutes ago, TWG85 said:

I'll put this pkm in here as well while I'm at it.

At least five or six occasions my striker of ten goals clean through & fails to score. These one-on-ones remain an absolute killer.

Gateshead v Kidderminster 2.pkm 100.77 kB · 0 downloads

Its pointless putting them here, if you want the devs to take a look at it start a post in the bugs forum, and list out the times you expected him to score.

1 minute ago, Rashidi said:

Its pointless putting them here, if you want the devs to take a look at it start a post in the bugs forum, and list out the times you expected him to score.

Oh I've already posted it in the other forum, there was just some dispute over whether it was still a thing, & I thought there was a greater chance of it gaining visibility here (not really familiar with the set-up). I'll delete it.

I can't say I've listed times, though. And in truth I'm not sure I can be fussed. It's not even a matter of expecting him to score, I mean I won 3-1 & he scored during the game. It just happens with such regularity & at such a low conversion rate.

• SI Staff
46 minutes ago, martplfc1 said:

How do you assign a scout to a new project? Can't for the life of me work it out!

Also, slightly off-topic, but is there a way to assign/generate a regen face to people you add in the pre-game editor?

Scouting Centre -> Assignments. 

Ensure the Scouting Responsibility is assigned to yourself. 

There should be a 'Create New Assignment' button available to you. 

50 minutes ago, sureup said:

Will the database be updated for the release version, or is the beta 20.1 the final database? Curious if I should start my save now or wait.

I assume so as Miles has been swearing at teams for changing their managers the past few days as they just went into data lock :lol:

vor einer Stunde schrieb herne79:

You're right, everyone is entitled to their opinion.  It's just that if that opinion is laced with abuse ("you're a ******" might be your opinion of someone but it's also abusive) or someone spams the same destructive "opinions" over and over, Mods will get involved ;).

Anyway, how about we all break the cycle of reply/counter/reply/counter ad infinitum (which gets pretty tedious for everyone else) and get back to discussing the game :thup:.

And btw, if you use the report button to flag something up to the mods, please give reasons why you make it.

Why do mods not get involved when people are put by certain members because they have a negative opinion on the game ?

Should moderators not treat everyone equally ?

Just now, thejay said:

Why do mods not get involved when people are put by certain members because they have a negative opinion on the game ?

Should moderators not treat everyone equally ?

How do you know we don't get involved or treat everyone equally?  You think we do everything in public?

Stick to feedback about the game please.

Played more than 20 matches with the new ME. It’s ok for me for now. I hope we’ll get a better ME on tuesday. 

- Number of penalties seemed too much. Also percentage of missing penalties are too much.

- Set pieces are too dangerous and should be fixed.

- Players still trying to shot from impossible angles. Especially full backs. Also players generally prefer shot from distance rather than pass to his available teammate.

- 1v1s and 2v1s are still need to be fixed. 

- Long balls are still perfect. In real life we couldn’t see this much perfect long balls. Even decent players can send the ball to the feet of his 50-60m away teammate in FM.

- Defensive actions are need to be developed. 

1 hora atrás, Iwabik disse:

cz14Wfl.png

I don't know how much he has of decisions , but going by reality André Gomes was always like this since a young kid at Porto, a really good technical player, but awful at decision making. I don't know how he was playing at Everton, but everywhere he did go he was always capable of pulling something like this. :D

Finally got a chance to try the beta last night. Started unemployed. I like the club vision alot. During the interview it really made it feel like you are interviewing for a job. First game lost 1-0 but the ME looked good for me. Shots looked good and I felt I was seeing real football being played. Didn't have a lot of time to dig too deep, but what I played around with I really like. I cannot wait for Tuesday so I can start a real deep dive and lead a team to glory. Great job SI, keep it up. Can't wait till Tuesday.

Trevor L.

21 minutes ago, srvngrc said:

Played more than 20 matches with the new ME. It’s ok for me for now. I hope we’ll get a better ME on tuesday. 

- Number of penalties seemed too much. Also percentage of missing penalties are too much.

- Set pieces are too dangerous and should be fixed.

- Players still trying to shot from impossible angles. Especially full backs. Also players generally prefer shot from distance rather than pass to his available teammate.

- 1v1s and 2v1s are still need to be fixed. 

- Long balls are still perfect. In real life we couldn’t see this much perfect long balls. Even decent players can send the ball to the feet of his 50-60m away teammate in FM.

- Defensive actions are need to be developed. 

I don't see as many problems as you, namely that I don't see the shooting from tight angles and the long balls aren't so bad for me.

I agree with much of the rest though. I'm seeing somewhere between 50-75% of goals coming from set pieces. I don't necessarily think there are too many goals coming from set pieces, there just aren't enough from everywhere else.

Tackling, or lack of, is horrible.

Playing non-stop since yesterday and there's definitely too many penalties. And that's without 'Get stuck in' team instruction. I'm not even fouling much outside the box. Penalties need be toned down urgently imo.

Not seeing the issue with penalties in Ireland.
In the 2023 season there have been 14 rounds in the league. In total there have been 16 penalties.
That's across all teams.

In the Premier League (36 rounds) there have been a grand total of 30 penalties.
In Serie A (34 rounds) the grand total is 27 penalties.
In La Liga (34 rounds) the grand total is 26 penalties.
Champions League (Final yet to be played) is 21 penalties.

I don't know the real life stats regarding penalties but they don't appear to be excessive to me.
My team (Cork City) has conceded 0 penalties and taken 2 penalties.

Edited by roykela

8 hours ago, Bromley Raven said:

The Double. I loved this game and wrote to the company that made it with a load of suggestions for the sequel if there was one. They never replied and I don't think there was ever a sequel.

I spent many nights of my childhood with the lights off and the TV dimmed down to the least brightest settings, so that my parents didn't realise that I was playing into the wee small hours on a school night. 

The Double was pretty ahead of its peers for me. It even had attribute masking (you had to get scout reports). I can't imagine what those who complain about FMs match engine would make of The Double's '3D' match engine though. 

I still play it every now and again on a C64 emulator. It was a bloody awesome game for its time. 

36 minutes ago, roykela said:

Not seeing the issue with penalties in Ireland.
In the 2023 season there have been 14 rounds in the league. In total there have been 16 penalties.
That's across all teams.

In the Premier League (36 rounds) there have been a grand total of 30 penalties.
In Serie A (34 rounds) the grand total is 27 penalties.
In La Liga (34 rounds) the grand total is 26 penalties.
Champions League (Final yet to be played) is 21 penalties.

I don't know the real life stats regarding penalties but they don't appear to be excessive to me.
My team (Cork City) has conceded 0 penalties and taken 2 penalties.

If those are on full Detail, that'd be worth as a report as that's much too low.

The actual EPL has seen 27 pens already (United alone 6, including 4 Rashford misses), and we're in November. Serie A is similar, last term they saw over 100 so did Serie A. Usually, there is an average of 0.2-0.4 penalties per match in any Competition. Naturally, Looking at the average wouldn't reveal possible issues with certain tactics (or tactical combinations), refs, etc.

Edited by Svenc

19 minutes ago, Svenc said:

If those are on full Detail, that'd be worth as a report as that's much too low.

The actual EPL has seen 27 pens already (United alone 6, including 4 Rashford misses), and we're in November. Serie A is similar, last term they saw 122. La Liga saw 113. Usually, there is an average of 0.2-0.4 penalties per match in any Competition. Naturally, Looking at the average wouldn't reveal possible issues with certain tactics (or tactical combinations), refs, etc.

Irish top league is on full detail.
The latter stages of the Champions League is on full detail (don't know exactly what is considered latter stages).
The rest are not on full detail.

-Edit-
I will check the numbers again, in case i have missed something obvious.

Edited by roykela
Added content

8 minutes ago, roykela said:

Irish top league is on full detail.
The latter stages of the Champions League is on full detail (don't know exactly what is considered latter stages).
The rest are not on full detail.

Thanks! That figures, as the Irish league fits neatly just within the 0.2 pens per match bracket (match day 14 = 5 Matches played per match day = 70 Matches total for 16 penalties =  almost exactly 0.2 penalties per match average). :D However, the quick sims Penalty data are still way off the actual match engine's (or Football in General). Not sure I had noted that before tbh. SOmething to Keep in mind probably next time when Scouting for a Penalty Player. :D 

Edited by Svenc

9 minutes ago, Svenc said:

Thanks! That figures, as the Irish league fits neatly just within the 0.2 pens per match bracket (match day 14 = 5 Matches played per match day = 70 Matches total for 16 penalties =  almost exactly 0.2 penalties per match average). :D However, the quick sims Penalty data are still way off the actual match engine's (or Football in General). Not sure I had noted that before tbh. SOmething to Keep in mind probably next time when Scouting for a Penalty Player. :D 

Just double-checked the Irish league. It is indeed 16 penalties. Now, after 15 rounds.
Good to hear the Irish league is pretty much spot on.

Some improvement probably needed on the quick sim matches then.
And yes, in that case it might actually be something to keep in mind when looking for a penalty expert :D

Point 1 ) The whole 1 on 1 situation really is laughable, basically if a highlight show a 1 on 1 then a goal isn't happening, whether this is for or against your team, ive literally seen more 20 yard screamers hit the back of the net than I have one on one goals, this is getting discussed on multiple forums and youtube,  please sort this out

2) load tactics wont let you search through the files, so if you find a workable tactic in one save and save it to your pc you cant load it again 

Hired a Technical Director to make all staff signings (I do Assistant Manager, Head Scout, and Technical Director, he does the rest).

The top two appearance holders in my clubs history have retired in my save so far, and both times hes hired them as youth coaches straight after without my input.

I like it.

Finally got to play a couple of games after the latest patch. I have to say this ME is exceptionally good. One of the best I have ever seen in any version.

The decision making of wide players has been completely reworked it seems, and now you see such nice play down there. I even had a cross from a winger on the touchline across the face of goal for a tap in. Not sure I saw that before. The defending also seems better in this area. Defenders shepherding attackers towards the byline to prevent a cross. Really nice. Full backs are also no longer constantly offside. They seem to be coming from deeper later in attacks, which prevents this. 

The build up play also feels a lot better. I have not seen a single long cross field pass so far in my three matches. My playmaker seems to be dropping into pockets of space more, and picking out passes a whole lot better. I also scored a goal from a through ball against a parked bus due to clever striker movement running across and through the defensive line, being picked out by a perfect pass along the floor. This was something I rarely saw in any previous version. Especially against super defensive sides. Long shots are also no longer look like the ball has been shot from a cannon. I scored one in the 3 matches I played, but it was a well placed long shot from a player with good long shots, and who had an acre of space when the ball came to him on the edge of the area. 

I did miss a penalty though. Clearly the patch caused it. Must fix this ASAP!! (my tongue is firmly in my cheek here, no need to jump on me, I am kidding). I have had two bruise injuries from players who were just running alone with the ball though. Which seems a little off. I am not sure you should get a bruise from pulling up while running. I would expect a muscular injury. I have not played enough matches to know if this is a legitimate issue though, or just bad luck. I have not really done anything else to comment on other changes.

Fantastic work from the devs here, I am very pleased with this game. (I am totally blaming the patch if I lose my next match, which is a top of the table derby clash :D:D:D). 

7 hours ago, 91836 said:

Yeah it's not a mystery. Everything is very good about this game - promoting, announcing small improvements as big features, everything but match 3D overall. Ok - graphics is acceptable. But when you see your side defenders score more goals than the others, despite your tactics playing in 80% is about passing from wing to wing, it's really dissapointing. Every match looks the same, no matter you play Barca, Juve or Everton. And all of this just from watching beta streams on Youtube...

It's high time to say - I give a break - hopefully to FM 2021, but as far as I can see from evolution of the game maybe longer.

I just admire those who find this game playable...

4 hours ago, RTHerringbone said:

In Steam right-click the game, select Properties and in the Beta tab select Beta. Then you should be OK. 

Took about 2 hours of reintalling, checing integrity of files etc but I'm in! cheers