Football Manager 2020 Pre-Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

1 hour ago, axehan1 said:

Loving the game but still not happy with wingers running to the byline and not crossing!!!In fact wingers not even acting like wingers, half the time my 2 right wingers are in field when they collect the ball.Hopefully this is tweaked for the full release.

Why would you play 2 right wingers....

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

It always seems from comments that a lot of people play on the shorter highlights modes, so they never see a lot of the nice little animations that are in the game. I think it can skew perceptions of the ME quite considerably.

I always have comprehensive highlights on, for this very reason

7 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

I swear u have some magical ME.

Has anyone else seen the latest Lollujo video?

The 2 matches are basically why the ME is in my opinion in an awful state this year.

Arsenal must have missed 6 or 7 clear one on one's in the second match. Ferminio scored a laughable OG in the first and missed an absolute sitter to boot.

It looks laughable when u sit and watch 2 games back to back like that.

Players miss easy chances...

screen_shot_2019-04-24_at_12.thumb.png.9846cb0c25cdbe56e8a44bc165569319.png

11 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

I swear u have some magical ME.

Has anyone else seen the latest Lollujo video?

The 2 matches are basically why the ME is in my opinion in an awful state this year.

Arsenal must have missed 6 or 7 clear one on one's in the second match. Ferminio scored a laughable OG in the first and missed an absolute sitter to boot.

It looks laughable when u sit and watch 2 games back to back like that.

To be fair after the first 2 games where 3 setpieces goals took place, I have yet to see much more in the following 5. Only 2 goals from FK and 1 from a corner, plus one fk goal against, so all seems good as 2 of those games had a lot of goals.

Have yet to see a penalty being called since the update so that is also fine (one was called but overruled by VAR).

Matches usually end up with 3 or 4 yellow cards so am not seeing that issue as well (maybe the opposite of being on the low side).

I am missing the great saves and match rates for the GKs, but other than removing that lovely part of the first ME, the update fixed all the issues that people seemed to be complaining around here.

26 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Playing a bit of FM15 this drab afternoon & one thing I've seen a couple of time is a striker receiving the ball deep, turning & driving forward toward goal through the defensive line. I've played the last two FMs a fair bit & don't think I've ever seen that        

I scored one exactly like this earlier on FM20. Opposition had a corner, my winger cleared it with an header from just outside the box to my striker who was standing near the halfway line with two defenders on him with his back to goal, he received the ball, turned and dribbled past the two players before firing it into the near corner. 

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This stats alone explains nothing. What you should also consider, is the conversion rate and also the context of "big chance" - what was the situation. 1on1? Open goal? Header straight at keeper? Etc.... 

40 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

Arsenal must have missed 6 or 7 clear one on one's in the second match. 

To be fair, it is Arsenal. :D One on oneish situations in this match seem still easy to come by, even considering Lollujo's Setup which Looks a frail straight in the centre (and very very aggressive, his d-line included). It still seems mainly down to defender reactions, sometimes the CBs don't drop alongside the FBs so put any Player centrally onside and through on Goal. The first one Looks like a miscommunication rather than a bug as such tho. Then again, aggressive Setups should be able to be punished some, that's their drawback -- even though they weren't in this match. On the Occasion that was some bad luck, but not all. From the Highlights this can appear fairly repetitive, as the frequency is clocking reasonably high and the nature of the chances is so similar.

If I'd be into good conspiracies, I'd argue this is all done to ensure that this place wasn't rage quit central, as ridiculously aggressive tactics are part and parcel of YouTubers as well as General FM'ers alike ("Ai is scoring from its few shots, ME must be broken). :D As I am not though, I am Pretty sure some of this is on the Radar, especially considering the reported amounts of time PaulC and gang spends watching Matches in full alone.

Edited by Svenc

11 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

I scored one exactly like this earlier on FM20. Opposition had a corner, my winger cleared it with an header from just outside the box to my striker who was standing near the halfway line with two defenders on him with his back to goal, he received the ball, turned and dribbled past the two players before firing it into the near corner. 

Sweet goal! I mean more like on the non-counter, I feel in FM 19/20 you'd end up camped on the edge of the box

Here's one:

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Those figures would appear to be towards the end of last season. So maybe on average 1 big missed chance every 2 games by the looks AT WORST! 

Arsenal missed 7 in one game, Lollujos Utd missed at least 2. So that's 9 clear cut chances missed in one game. 

I know it happens but seriously watch the latest Lollujo video and tell me the ME looks anything but laughably bad. 

6 minutes ago, Svenc said:

To be fair, it is Arsenal. :D One on oneish situations in this match seem still easy to come by, even considering Lollujo's Setup which Looks a frail straight in the centre (and very very aggressive, his d-line included). It still seems mainly down to defender reactions, sometimes the CBs don't drop alongside the FBs so put any Player centrally onside and through on Goal. The first one Looks like a miscommunication rather than a bug as such tho. Then again, aggressive Setups should be able to be punished some, that's their drawback -- even though they weren't in this match. On the Occasion that was some bad luck, but not all. From the Highlights this can appear fairly repetitive, as the frequency is clocking reasonably high and the nature of the chances is so similar.

If I'd be into good conspiracies, I'd argue this is all done to ensure that this place wasn't rage quit central, as ridiculously aggressive tactics are part and parcel of YouTubers as well as General FM'ers alike ("Ai is scoring from its few shots, ME must be broken). :D As I am not though, I am Pretty sure some of this is on the Radar, especially considering the reported amounts of time PaulC and gang spends watching Matches in full alone.

Yeah it's clearly done to keep scores down. He should have lost that game about 7-3!

He barely even registered how awful his defence was and how it was getting torn to shreds. 

To be honest what makes me rage quit is what the current ME does. Oh you've had 6 one on one's yeah no you aren't scoring from those, but your left back will score a bizarre own goal after 13 deflections from a corner that the opposition only got because instead of doing anything sensible your player just turned around under almost no pressure and booted it out for one, then that one lad with a Longshots attribute of 1, will hammer one in from 35 yards. Yeah we all good...? Hey why you throwing your laptop out the window.... 

8 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

I know it happens but seriously watch the latest Lollujo video and tell me the ME looks anything but laughably bad. 

Yes, we'll base the entire judgement of this year's game on one game played by a YouTuber. 

Never mind the countless videos posted on this thread alone which shows the massive improvement in this year's engine compared to the last two. 

12 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

Those figures would appear to be towards the end of last season. So maybe on average 1 big missed chance every 2 games by the looks AT WORST! 

Arsenal missed 7 in one game, Lollujos Utd missed at least 2. So that's 9 clear cut chances missed in one game. 

That said, I would never compare SI's clear cuts with OPta's. Ever. Actually, I'd Forget About that stat in-game entirelly if you wanted to Keep some sanity, and work out for yourself what genuinelly is more likely to be converted and what isn't. This will also come in handy should you ever consider to play counter attacking Football, and / or sit deep to frustrate the AI yourself. Internally at SI this is a wholly semantic debate too. If they decide a Header would not be a clear cut ever, no Header will ever be flagged a clear cut, no matter what (Opta Data Clear cuts naturally can be headers, it just depends). Whilst there were a lot of "clear cuts" in the above match, few of them were "easy" Chances to me I'd expected to be scored more often than missed/saved. Even if this were actual Football. Then again, such chances should be rare anyway. 

Edited by Svenc

Just now, Dagenham_Dave said:

Yes, we'll base the entire judgement of this year's game on one game played by a YouTuber. 

Never mind the countless videos posted on this thread alone which shows the massive improvement in this year's engine compared to the last two. 

I could also post the rare decent goal (because they exist, I've seen them) .

Overall the ME is an absolute mess this year IMO. That video just really highlights why overall for me. 

It encapsulates everything I've been experiencing myself since the update. 

5 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

Overall the ME is an absolute mess this year IMO

Really? I wonder who posted these in the last few days? 

The ME really isn't that bad and in many ways is far less frustrating than FM19. 

I've seen some football in this ME that is just miles ahead of the others.

It has its issues but they aren't game breaking for me. 

The ME is the least annoying of the issues I've come across. 

And particularly relevant given your post above....

Lollujo on YouTube has also been using tiki taka tactics and playing some breath taking football with Man Utd.

Make up your mind, eh? :lol:

I've seen some great football. But for every 1 good thing I see 10 things that just destroy any immersion for me. 

Ive seen twice now premier league level fullbacks cross the ball into their own 6 yard box to unmarked opposition strikers. Who then scored. Both times in my favour, but it just destroys any enjoyment for me seeing such totally stupid things happen.

2 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Really? I wonder who posted these in the last few days? 

And particularly relevant given your post above....

Make up your mind, eh? :lol:

Before the update. After the update. I've not had anything good to say about it. Because I think it's awful now. 

Go look at my posts since the update. 

Before I was one of the few defending it. 

Edited by kiwityke1983

3 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

Before the update.

What, when there was constant long shots, ridiculous crossfield passes, players never crossing when they reached the byline, stuttering laggy gameplay, and no injuries? That version. Kudos to you if you were a fan of that. I think most would agree the updated engine is night and day better than that one. To each their own though. 

7 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

As I have said, I have seen some goals that came centrally, but they seem very rare. Perhaps they are also this rare in real life (I certainly do not know). I'd be curious to hear (constructive, not just moaning) opinions on this. If you watch highlights of AI goals from a round of matches in your league, what do you see? 

Very few AI teams set up without some form of wingplay, so goals from out wide will always dominate. That said, I have seen more central goals this year than the last two versions. FM17 nailed the central play, but lacked in some other areas. Watching the highlights from a round of fixtures on FM19 was much worse for lack of variety of goals. 

What, when there was constant long shots, ridiculous crossfield passes, players never crossing when they reached the byline, stuttering laggy gameplay, and no injuries? That version. Kudos to you if you were a fan of that. I think most would agree the updated engine is night and day better than that one. To each their own though. 

It's a game of opinions, eh! 

I wasn't getting constant shots from the byline like I do now. One on one's didn't seem such an egregious problem as they do now. I didn't have any issues with lag etc (I still don't in fact) 

The constant cross field balls I could live with. I was getting a perfectly normal amount of injuries. 

Now I seem to get never ending scrambled goals from set pieces and missed one on one's up the wazooo. 

It's almost like SI have realised 2 different MEs for us to use and I'm on the darkest time line cos I honestly think this version is the worst we've had in a long time. 

By the way, my contract runs out on June, I'm on 1st February in-game. Doing well in the league, so approach the board for a new contract. 

They say they don't feel I've done enough yet to warrant an early extension and refuse the request. 

Meanwhile, also the board...

mp.PNG.8c94d77b3194f211e40afd7d6b933b2f.PNG

:lol::lol:

I'm in exactly the same camp @sporadicsmiles, I've seen many encouraging things in me 2016, some intelligent play from attack & defence, I just feel a bit more balance in the play toward central areas rather than wide is needed. It's almost like, in the little player's AI brains they see traffic ahead & avoid it by choosing a safe option wide. Real football doesn't work like that, in the England game the other night, balls still went forward & central when Montenegro had 5 at the back 

I checked the forward passes of Vidal BWM (D) in a recent game & every single one his passes were to wide areas, I mean, that's impossible to log but it's very obvious

I notice fullbacks/ wingback being passed to when they're off-side too but it's not something I thought to log, I think something might be off with their mentality, they seem to be on attack the whole game but again, it could be tied into the ball going wide more often than not. I don't know but something doesn't feel right with them 

I've been watching AI game goals & yes, without sitting there & writing them down, I'd say 50-70% of the goals I see are from penalties, direct from set-pieces or the scramble that follows a set-piece 

I don't hate this ME, it's on the right track & I'm looking forward to future updates 

1 minute ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Have you checked to see if your game HAS actually updated? 

Yes, and it's the latest version. 

I've got a few theories as to what may or may not be happening

1) it's because I've not started a fresh save and that's somehow affecting how players react in the game engine. 

2) It's all confirmation bias. As in prior to the update I had a tactic that was working perfectly fine and created football I was happy with and gave me a good spread of goals etc since the update this has just been nerfed so now I only score scrambled set pieces as that's what my tactic now creates. 

I've not had much chance to play today due to job and family but I have changed my tactics and seen an improvement in what I was seeing in the 2 to 3 games I got in today, then I saw the Lollujo video and it all came rushing back to me like some horrible nightmare because those 2 games literally encapsulate my experience of this ME in a 29 minute video. 

3 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

By the way, my contract runs out on June, I'm on 1st February in-game. Doing well in the league, so approach the board for a new contract. 

They say they don't feel I've done enough yet to warrant an early extension and refuse the request. 

I'd say report it as a bug... but they might be wary of things going a bit Solskjaer if you sign a contract extension with several months still to go in the season

4 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Ungrateful buggers :D

Hi Please help

I am struggling since data update, I am stuck on accept policy page,i have looked at both policies and checked the box at the top and then clicked on confirm at the bottom only this seems to be greyed out.

Only way I can leave screen is CTRL,ALT, Del gutted as going well so far

image.thumb.png.70c642f1a2a29329ffa4424bb73d5a5b.png

Edited by Craigargyle
added screen shot showing continue greyed out

26 minutes ago, autohoratio said:

I'd say report it as a bug... but they might be wary of things going a bit Solskjaer if you sign a contract extension with several months still to go in the season

In fairness, I'm also being somewhat duplicitous, as I told them I wanted to build a long and lasting legacy at the club, where in reality I'm using them to get my coaching badges so I get a better job somewhere else! Maybe they're onto me. 

Can anyone tell me if you can watch matches without the purple/blue bar at the top. Gets in the way when the play is switched.

Initial feedback (still in pre-season)

Negatives

- Too many pens (about 7 or 8 in 4 or 5 friendlies)

- Pens awarded for seemingly good challenges

- Red cards given for nothing challenges

- Silly selection of friendlies for a big club (playing as Liverpool and going to real lower tier teams - won one friendly with mostly reserves 13-0)

- Fullbacks still shooting too often and from silly positions (despite setting to shoot less often and cross more)

- Low-level teams still capable of tiki-taka/keep possession incredibly well

Positives

- Some gorgeous goals

- Animations much better

- The ball finally bends!

- Best initial skin for some years

10 minutes ago, martplfc1 said:

Can anyone tell me if you can watch matches without the purple/blue bar at the top. Gets in the way when the play is switched.

There's a guy on youtube, Second Yellow Card I think that plays with a skin that's changed it so it's possible 

10 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

They introduced that last year. Best goal I scored on FM19 was a wonderful curling shot into the top corner from Dennis Praet in my Sampdoria save. 

It had been there years ago, I remember having this player called Tiko who used to score bending long shots that were just porn!

48 minutes ago, DennyV said:

It had been there years ago, I remember having this player called Tiko who used to score bending long shots that were just porn!

Evandro Roncatto used to score 10 or 15 a season like that for me. Mind you, this was in the pre 3D engine days. 

Don't remember the version, but some missed shots had so much bend on 'em that they would go over the side lines.

178 hours* into this game so far (plus another 10 on classic mode). That's about 3 times as long as I'd put into an RPG or something on the PS4. And it's not even been released yet. How people can query this game's value for money is beyond me. 

*still only 3/4 through the 2nd season :lol:

178 hours* into this game so far (plus another 10 on classic mode). That's about 3 times as long as I'd put into an RPG or something on the PS4. And it's not even been released yet. How people can query this game's value for money is beyond me. 

*still only 3/4 through the 2nd season :lol:

99 hours for me and yeah, value for money the game has no rival. 

9 hours ago, Icy said:

Total domination from my team, no pass attempts inside the area from any player as you can see in the screenshot. Goals came from a cross to the opposite wing and from a penalty.

I play a short passing control strategy, I dominate most of my games and end winning, just won with Crewe the league losing only 6 games, and the EFL cup in the first season, so I'm happy... about the results, but I could play without an striker and have a similar season.

As soon as you pin the other team in their area, your striker and inside forwards just stay together not moving at all, like if all three were target men playing back to goal.

As the middle of the area is congested, my midfielders only pass to the wide wingbacks as they are open, so they cross it mainly to the inside winger or wingback in the opposite side. The midfielders, even with 17 vision, never attempt to pass through the middle to the Striker or inside forwards. These passes should be hard to complete as the middle is packed, but at least they should try to pass and the forwards should try to find an space to run to get thorough balls, or they should come back to try 1 on 2 passes.

I'll upload pkm to the bugs forums.

Here is my thread if others want to contribute as well:

Football Manager 2020 16_11_2019 12_12_23.png

Are you Unai Emery? There was a recent Arsenal game where they had ONE pass into the box in 90 mins.