Football Manager 2021 - Out November 24th

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know its just a one minute teaser but i am have to say i got a bit dissappointed after seeing that short clip of match graphics. I paused to take a good look at it and i dont see any improvement there in terms of graphics. For a year 2021, it doesnt look a lot better than what we had 5 or so years ago. Actually, pitch looks as bad as in fm20

Only real positive for me is xg. I hope its going to be properly made, so we dont have a situation like now where they say some clear cut chances are actually not clear cut chances and so on

Edited by Cro-cop

On 11/10/2014 at 08:29, someone21 said:

I remember, there was one FM version which was branded as "polished". FM 2015 is another of those "polished" version. So overall a disappointment.

That was way back in 2014. Same thing seems this year 2020, it's another nonsense of "polished" version

Doesn't look bad, xg, revamped interactions, ME with better finishing (just couple of examples) and did I see a hint about the AI (assistant gm maybe) giving you hints to tweak your tactic and then you agree or not? looks like an improved version of the suggested lineup email we get before each game.

XG is in, IF the ME has improved, IF interactions are less of a puzzle and feel more real and not exploitable as right now, and IF your staff gives useful advice, then I'll be happy enough in this transition year, but that is a big IF, specially the ME part, but let's keep the hope and trust on SI.

Edited by Icy

19 minutes ago, stevemc said:

Decent opening teaser, suspect much more to come as there wasn’t much groundbreaking, looked like Leicester City are licensed (maybe the PL?), more media additions, font changes too which is good and overdue, few much needed cosmetic touches too and Xg included too.

I think you are right about Leicester, noticed the Football Manager logo at games

36 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

Why on earth are people whinging already about FM21?  Miles said a few weeks back not to expect anything revolutionary this year as SI have had to work remotely for a lot of the time.  A little thing called a pandemic has been going on.

I'm happy with just tons of fine tunings and tweaks which would be perfect in there scenario.

Meanwhile people want FIFA graphics lol.

38 minutes ago, masno said:

Because SI took the decision to launch the game anyways, and they will charge the full price anyways?
If they couldn't bring all the revolutionary features they wanted, then launch the game next year. If they are launching it this year and not bringing much to the table, they know people will talk about it.

You know that it isn’t compulsory to buy it, right?  You are free to save your cash.

1 minuto atrás, DazRTaylor disse:

You know that it isn’t compulsory to buy it, right?  You are free to save your cash.

Obviously, but everyone here is a fan of the game, so as such, everyone expects the game to get better every year. Also in case you don't know, one dev already said that SI works in a 3 years development for FM, so if they had something to put in the game, it should be already close to ready, and if wasn't ready and they didn't want to get criticized, skip some months and put in the feature to please everybody. But like I said before, it is their choice to launch the game with less features, but the consequence is see their fans that want changes very pissed.  

6 minutes ago, Matteo3champions said:

So curious to see what are The new two voices when you select the team (we can see at the beginning of the video) “con” and “Shp”

maybe the second voice could be something with supporters? Or maybe with “social”?

CB9909EE-9C80-433E-8E95-29BF1A350F02.png

Looks like condition and sharpness to me (just a different graphic to show fitness and match fitness maybe?)

6 minutes ago, Matteo3champions said:

So curious to see what are The new two voices when you select the team (we can see at the beginning of the video) “con” and “Shp”

Not sure what you mean, but I'm sure CON is for Condition and SHP is Sharpness, as we have in the game already.

2 hours ago, andu1 said:

Hmm.. I am a bit concerned about this screenshot. Highest win a 3-0 and highest scoring game a 3-2 ? A bit low if you ask me. Bundesliga is one of the highest scoring leagues in top football.

image.thumb.png.57d6552cf92bff5dfeba5437d1ca0ca4.png

I may be wrong, but I think these stats are just for Hoffenheim, not the Bundesliga as a whole.

1 minuto atrás, XaW disse:

Nice to see the preview. Doesn't seem to be major stuff to "wow" the feature freaks, so I really hope the bulk of the effort are put into the match engine. And since they have introduced xG I would think that it would have had a significant rewrite.

Didn't just about everyone in all those threads tell SI to keep the rest of the game as is and only do ME this version? Would you be happy if that was the case?

Yes, I am in this boat too, but they didn't said anything about a rewrite or any significant change in the ME. I expect that with the xG addition, things go more realistic, or we would have very unreal numbers every match, and the xG stats would be there just for the cosmetics. For now, all we have is a bunch of screenshots, and some features that are very hard to please everybody, so that is the reason people are not very happy. 

3 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Xg would be presumably calculated to the match engine. There's not a set model as such, which is why you get variances in different xG models in real life. Less about the match engine, and more about how good their model is, and we'll have to wait and see for that

Seen rumours they'll tied up with StatsBomb this year, to help with the xG system.

Seems entirely based on how similar the xG maps are.

Screenshot_20201012-201343_YouTube.jpg.5d5509a94f70076fd14bd423460198f0.jpg

Screenshot_20201012-201431_Chrome.jpg.670dbb8e84417c10711f2c5088dad75f.jpg

55 minutes ago, Matteo3champions said:

maybe the second voice could be something with supporters? Or maybe with “social”?

Suspect those 2 icons have taken over the circular icons we get now for sharpness and condition.  On 20 when looking at squad screen you had a circular icon with an outer and inner ring.  Outer ring indicating condition %, - and the inner match sharpness.  They've seemingly got rid of those for the above icons.  Above screenshot would tell me that player is at 100% condition/sharpness to play

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

FYI that's just for Hoffenheim's season. Not the entire league.  

Plus this is still in work version, over like a month still to release! Must say the UI looks more clean and more dark!!! My eyes are rejoicing 

We've enjoyed several successive releases now when Si have made excellent improvements in the mechanics of the game that sit outside of the ME. This first little feature tease looks like we're in for more worthwhile and immersion increasing additions.

I'd just love to see a the ME and tactics take the next giant step forward that they desperately need, FM22 or FM23 and I could still live with that. For now though, I'm pretty happy.

At the end of the day, given everything that's happened this year if Si had said they'd deliver very little but still needed us to support the game I would have bought it.

43 minutos atrás, RandomGuy. disse:

Seen rumours they'll tied up with StatsBomb this year, to help with the xG system.

Seems entirely based on how similar the xG maps are.

I guess you are right, I was reviewing the teaser, and if you pause it in the frame that start showing the xG, you will see more stats, even one with successful dribble on the right,with the symbol that appears in the statsbomb.

FM.thumb.png.3c89414bb954b77278f81d81cc45b4c0.png

2 hours ago, masno said:

Yes, I am in this boat too, but they didn't said anything about a rewrite or any significant change in the ME. I expect that with the xG addition, things go more realistic, or we would have very unreal numbers every match, and the xG stats would be there just for the cosmetics. For now, all we have is a bunch of screenshots, and some features that are very hard to please everybody, so that is the reason people are not very happy. 

Yeah, all unknown, but I trust SI to bring a good game once again. Things will be revealed more the next weeks, I'd imagine.

14 minutes ago, quovadis25 said:

what is xG system?

https://www.goal.com/en/news/what-is-xg-football-how-statistic-calculated/h42z0iiv8mdg1ub10iisg1dju

Expected goals. Basically, a calculation of how likely any given finish (shot, header, etc) is to end up in a goal, based on statistics.

12 minutes ago, Nikola Boskovic said:

How can I be inserted into fm2021 I play for a small club, I see that there are some players, but I am not there. can anyone answer me thanks!

https://community.sigames.com/forum/708-database-and-research/

Find the correct thread for your league/country and post links or other proof in there.

23 minutes ago, Nikola Boskovic said:

How can I be inserted into fm2021 I play for a small club, I see that there are some players, but I am not there. can anyone answer me thanks!

Have you tried to load all players of your nationality at the start of the game? If you're still not there maybe get in touch with researcher for your country.

Recruitment meetings is very exciting feature, for years I’ve been hearing clubs plan as a committee type thing on how and who to go for, hoping this means the DOF will be super more effective and the whole scouting of who they recommend are a lot better than they currently do.

Well I pre-ordered today before I saw this video. Can't say I've taken much notice of them before but at least the UI looks a bit nicer, although I almost always use a custom skin.

The proof will be in the pudding, roll on beta! :)

Looking forward to this one. Similarly to what someone else said, this'll definitely be worth my 'FM tax'. I don't need big changes, this seems enough to be exciting without being overwhelming. Didn't have problems with the ME on FM20 either, so i'm sure xG will only be a fun addition to me. My slow old computer still being supported is also a big plus :lol:

What do people keep expecting with these anyway...? FIFA and FM have almost always been incremental in terms of updates. I don't see many issues with it, if you know what you're buying at least. If you don't see this as worth it, well, don't bother. There's millions who are having a good time in your place.

4 hours ago, Matteo3champions said:

I am unsure how this will work, if the icons represent match condition and match sharpness. Can we see the difference between someone at 90% match condition and someone at 92% match condition? Numerical differences are required.

i would take a revamped match engine rather than these bunch of bloated features, FM 19 and FM 20 is basically pass it to sideline 7x24

They told us not to expect anything revolutionary because there is pandemic going on, look at PES2021, they called it a season update, now FM 21 just look like a bloated features update to me

26 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

I am not sure how you go from having xG to things get realistic. xG is a good to plot existing data points to represent a current state. It follows that SI will use existing data from the game to plot xG. There are currently many models of xG analysis, and while it’s possible to believe they may copy one existing model, SI is more than likely to use existing datasets in the game to represent how a game has played. This was a feature I requested for last year. And, to be honest, it will just spew out the huge volume of data that is inside the game to usable information for those used to this kind of analysis.

And btw SI’s roadmap is much longer than 3 years.

For those struggling to tackle in game analysis, this may be another mountain to climb. The thing about xG analysis is that it’s fundamentally very simple to understand. It’s basically expected goals based on different parameters. Hopefully this year they can split open play and non open play shots on target from inside the box. And split them further into aerial and non aerial attempts. The best xG models do this. It’s currently a system I am using to tell how good a tactic is against different kinds of formations and teams. 

As far as media interaction goes I am pretty excited to see the chance of being able to accept questions from specific reporters! It even sounds like a small mini game that can distract me. It’s certainly a major improvement that’s overdue for a heckuva long time.

Looks like quite a few cosmetic changes to the UI to jazz it up. And, it’s always nice to see that. I can expect a new match engine there are still some nagging issues in the old one and I am sure many in the community will be focusing on these when the new me rolls out. With the public beta a month away, I reckon internally you must have gotten the engine to a place where you guys are confident of meeting roll out.

I find that this game offers more bang for buck than most games. I am waiting to see what the next sneak peak looks like. 

agree with your splits of open/non open play shots breakdown in and out of box and the aerial/non aerial attempts...they will provide a qualitative breakdown to analyse how team's play including your own team to see where to address needs for improvements and also opposition's with how to deal with their strengths and weaknesses to counter/expose them. All those things will be very useful as a management/analysis tool. They'd also be very informative and revealing as to the engine's ability to provide quality creativity which has been sorely lacking for the last two years. It would be very insightful in that sense.

The creativity issue is what needs addressing for this year and it would be terrific if this has been addressed over the last year. I think Xg could and should be a game changer in that respect. With as you say the likelihood SI will use existing data from the game to plot this then that means they have all the data to show up what constitutes a good 'chance'. With that data they should be able to 'reverse engineer' how to create good chances from there making better use of players' technical/mental attributes to increase the probability of a de bruyne/ozil/isco type player being more creative and creating higher Xg chances as well as a teams so you should be able to enable higher quality players/teams play being reflected on the pitch using higher quality football to make that happen. I saw some reference to MIles saying it takes into account defensive positioning so all this would suggest SI could use it to have better 'control' as to how teams should create quality chances reflective of a teams creative qualities and higher abilities of teams without creativity escalating out of control and overwhelming defences as they have the data of what are better chances than others. This is powerful data and of course I don't know what SI have done to eventually get an 'output' Xg number but to use this data and what information within the game they have used to compile the Xg number (assuming its a lot lol) then that should really be a great way to identify high Xg/quality chances and work backwards tapping into the plethora of things that trigger decisions within FM but things like probabilities of passes being played to produce high Xg chance and players moving into positions where a high Xg could be finished from again triggering and interlinking to the player in possession...then you have the higher ability/higher attribute attacking players using mental attributes to move more frequently into these positions and higher technical/creative players have a higher propensity to play these passes. This is a layer/trigger which hasn't really been there before. Would help out risk/space evaluation issues the engine has had up until this point as well. Lots of opportunities to leverage Xg within the engine to produce more realistic patterns of play and higher quality decision making.

Course not sure how it was all layered up Xg wise by SI but certainly there is a huge opportunity to reflect real world decision making better and have a more discernible difference between quality creative players and teams and you should be able to have said quality play/players more rewarded for fundamentally better play rather than the disconnected experience of having high quality players in a team and them relying on 'gamed' goals (set pieces/long range shots/crosses) by the engine to produce a win rather than having organic play producing goals/chances/openings to win games as you set your team up to play. 

It would be absolutely awesome if this is the road SI has already gone down but it's certainly one that should be explored as a way to move away from the curtailed experience of the last two years of the engine. 

One feature that I really wanted included in FM21 looks like it will be there. Seems you can possibly agree a deal with the player and their agent before actually agreeing a price with the club that owns them. I hope that's what the 'Ask agent about availability' option is for, as it's such a common thing irl football nowadays.

I don't think xG is going to be a gamechanger, imho. The information is already there in the game. How people use the information is going to be critical. Remember your definition of what constitutes a good chance may not be the same as SI's or Opta's. xG models are hardly definitive.  Personally speaking, I worry that people are going to look at xG numbers and go...

I generated 30 shots why did I only have an xG of 0.2 while the AI had 10 shots with an xG of 3. The engine is broken, or...

My player has been having an xG of 3 per game for the last 5 games, and has only scored 2 goals, fix one v one SI.

IRL xG is only used as a kind of reference point, not as some kind of definitive standard. I like the insertion of xG into the game, this could have been done anytime in the last few years because the game does contain the datasets, at least I think it should if the engine is modelled accurately. It's always been a matter of extracting the information and presenting it in a useful format, which is why I have been asking for more statistics in the game. I have been asking for them because it can be a qualitative way for me to analyse my tactic. And a QOL improvement.

My biggest fear is that people are going to go, I have produced a killer tactic with an xG of 3.7 or someone is going to come up with a testing regime that ranks tactics by xG. You can't stop how information is being used, but I am very glad this is in the game now. 

I am waiting for other features to pop in, I am really hoping for a new set piece creator or a way for corners and freekicks to be created outside of the tactical creator so that we can just have one set for the whole team and not have to import a collection each time we create a new tactic.  We sorely need an opening kick off set piece creator too and more options for set pieces. We need a DOF that follows club vision instead of giving us player recommendations that are not in sync with the boards targets. We need a an online draft mode that allows network one on one matches to process just a bit faster. We need more options for network matches, that 500m limit is a bit restrictive. Sometimes you want to have no limits and sometimes you want 25million as a max budget for online draft matches.  And what about hosting draft games on amazon's servers? Yeah I can think of a lot of other things that are potentially bigger things than xG at the moment.

2 hours ago, robinthebest said:

now FM 21 just look like a bloated features update to me

What bloated features? They haven't introduced any new features in the teaser, just implied refining features such as analysis (xG) and interactions. If they're refining features instead of adding brand new ones, why the pessimism that the match engine will be left out? In fact the fact that they are not leading with new headline features suggests that they have been working on the core of the game, which is what everyone seems to have been asking for in these threads.

57 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

My biggest fear is that people are going to go, I have produced a killer tactic with an xG of 3.7 or someone is going to come up with a testing regime that ranks tactics by xG. You can't stop how information is being used, but I am very glad this is in the game now. 

I fully expect this to be the new metric that everybody defines tactics by now. Particularly if they have xG against as well. Goals are what matters in the end, so of course people are going to rate their tactic by whether the in game metrics suggest it will be successful. Of course, I also expect people to look at the xG without the context of the tactic they were up against and the varying reputation and player ability as well because in the end they're still stats, and we all know stats are there to be misrepresented.

So I see that quote differently. Firstly the xg will show that the 30 shots producing 0.2 is clearer to the user that the shots his team are generating are in effect not high quality chances. Assuming improvement of the creativity in the engine is better then that should be more indicative of tactics not trying to break down the opposition better. Admittedly in the past the engine is often lacking creative tools to open up tighter defences and then you have the 'engine' taking the shots despite instructions to work the ball into the box...in that instance then it's fair to conclude the engine is 'broken' in your scenario and I wouldn't argue against that conclusion. However if the engine is cleverly leveraging xG within the engine's calculations to create better chances through decision making/passing and movement and a user is still getting that scenario then that's tactical issues.

Similar in the one on one...SI should be able to factor xG into calculations to ensure that one on one are recognised as the relative quality of chance that they are and are finished accordingly...they won't need to reduce chance conversion on these to keep scores in check and in theory even the instances of these should be reduced at least in instances of inferior teams. So all in all with xG being used as a driver of how teams work the ball into positions and chances being converted in relation to same this should improve creative/quality play in the engine thus reducing disconnected ways of scoring/playing then you shouldn't be getting instances as described of excess shots and very few goals/xG numbers and one on ones and any instances of those massive shot numbers/poor striker conversion will actually be valid issues to address for a user making it more fundamentally football related issues as in tactical instructions need to be changed to work the ball better/less long shots/buy more creative players and the one on one conversion of a striker...more finishing training or buy another striker instead.

Yeah xG has a huge amount of potential to improve the match engine to make things happen for the right reasons in it

8 minutes ago, craiigman said:

I hope you can change the Condition and Sharpness back to numbers. If you have to hover over it to find out that’s a really bad design decision.

My guess is they perhaps want to move away from numbers. There shouldn't really be a noticeable difference between 91% or 92% fitness anyway and maybe they want to move to a "fit or not fit" type of indicator, rather than showing us the exact math.

Edited by Zemahh

I'm really hoping that "Moments to Remember" is along the lines of the feature request I put in last year. In all my years of playing the game I can only really recall snippets of saves, even the best ones. I want the ability to export a highlight reel, a combination of video, text, tables etc of a finished season or better still a finished save. That way there will always be something to look back on and reminisce over!!!

Edited by janrzm

6 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

My guess is they perhaps want to move away from numbers. There shouldn't really be a noticeable difference between a 91% or 92% fitness anyway and maybe they want to move to a "fit or not fit" type of indicator, rather than showing us the exact math.

I'm guessing they might make it so that bodylanguage is the only extra hint how tired player is. This makes pressing more risky and maybe evens the odds for AI. Player needs to check bodylanguage more. Just a guess.

12 hours ago, masno said:

Because SI took the decision to launch the game anyways, and they will charge the full price anyways?
If they couldn't bring all the revolutionary features they wanted, then launch the game next year. If they are launching it this year and not bringing much to the table, they know people will talk about it.

They had huge oportunity here. Should have done like Konami did with PES. Take one year break, give out a season update with few tweaks to ME, but go BIG with next edition. They could ask some money for it and noone would be mad if they put all their effort into FM22 with 2 years of work. I really dont want to hear exuses that they are not that big compan, money issues etc. Every year they are top sellers on Steam for long time, they have deals with Epic and Microsoft for specific cash flow. They have all what is needed.

Yes this pandemic hit every one of us in one way or another. But if they ask the same price like always saying it wont have such updates as planned, then it feels still a bit unfair(And if seriously new thing is that Sharpness and condition now just have colors to show... well skin will fix it(or maybe option in settings), but these move seems a step back. Everyone needed to adobt and I see more tech companies being even more succesful working from home. Our own company work effecienty has going up the last 5-6 months compared to previous years.