Football Manager 2021 - Out November 24th

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

A significant number of FM attempt to play below spec every year. The user base isn't on the the same level as the average steam user. So making large leaps in requirements is always unlikely

We are talking 12 year old tech here.

Eventually they are going to have to take the jump and potentially leave a % of the player base behind.

Maybe you are privy to the % of users still playing on below Pentium 4 processors ? According to steam hardware survey dated September 2020 less that 1% of people are using a Pentium 4 or equivalent and less that 6% ish are using the required GPU

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, davehanson said:

This is the factors that form the basis of xG:

• Assist type - long ball, through ball etc.
  • Was it a header?
  • Was the ball struck with the foot?
  • Was it a big chance?
  • Angle of the shot
  • Distance of the shot
  • Was it a one-on-one?
  • Did it occur in open play or a from a set-piece?

I can get all of that from the data analysis now. Yes, it will now be a lot easier to see now, not going to disagree, but the information is already there all xG is doing is turning it into a formula.

That doesn't change what I said. The data is there, the model is not. The model is the important bit, and that's clearly new. Whether one thinks it's an important feature or not is up to them

Just now, Dagenham_Dave said:

Mainly by people who are never satisfied. 

That's just not true though. The ME is the core of entire FM. It has been terrible this year and even the post March fix wasn't the greatest and leaves much to be desired and open for frustration. If you think this is only a concern from a group of people who are never satisfied, I think you need to open your eyes a bit more. It's a continuing negative claim which has been recurring for months.

Just now, Dagenham_Dave said:

Mainly by people who are never satisfied. 

There is absolutely no chance that the match engine will be 'radically reworked' this year. I'm sure you can work out why. 

And it comes back again to people not liking other people having any opinion that is different to theirs. 'I am happy with the ME you lot are never happy go and play something else'

And, like many others if it hasn't then I won't be buying. Yes I realise the little thing called covid.

39 minutes ago, rosque said:

Am I the only one that is actually hyped about the game? xG, agent interactions (CHECK PLAYER AVAILABILITY), better interactions, better pressers. All stuff you lot asked for and got in a short teaser trailer. And we have not even touched on the ME. I swear this forum is sometimes the most toxic cesspool of people and it's getting worse. Maybe it's the furstration of covid-19 speaking or something else but to say that nothing has changed and that nothing is new is asinine in my opinion. There will be a longer breakdown of features in the future. 

People are moaning about ***** positioning of defenders and ask for better ME. You people do realize that players make mistakes? How did Lpool play the other week when they got absolutely smashed? Would you save scum, ask on forums what's wrong and yell that the game is broken if that happened to you? How many times have we seen players do stupid things on the field? Good ME allows for players to make mistakes, be poorly positioned etc. Is ME perfect? No. Is it bad? HELL NO. Go and play FIFA, PES on simulation and actually watch the game and ignore the graphical fidelity. It is nothing like football we see on FM and for a good reason. Their ME sucks camel ass. There are some glaring issues and limitations with the current ME and we work around those things as well as with tactics creator. 

The comments from the past few pages really made me angry that peoeple are moaning and complaining about everything - nothing about feature, why so short TRAILER(?), why pre-orders, why this why that. 

If the game or developer are making you mad about something as minor as dripping the information leading to the release (to get us hyped, and all game devs do it that release yearly) then you need to take a deep breath, go read a book, call your family or friends and have a chat with them (be responsible!), take a stroll around the neighborhood (be responsible!), take up working out - something else cos obviously that this might just not be for you.

As for me? I will be preordering the game as soon as I get my next paycheck which should be tomorrow. Do not remember the last time I had as much fun playing FM as this year. Truly an escape from the worst year in my life - grandma dying, covid19, two life-threatening earthquakes, breaking up with gf after 4 years and something that's not as personal but still affected me - Kobe dying. Time and time again FM has enabled me to dive in for a bit and escape all the bad stuff that has happened in my life in this year. (not saying i've had the worst year of you all...). No other game has offered me that this year and for that reason alone I will pre-order the game as I did for last who-knows how many years. 1200 hours and counting. Bringing AC Milan to it's glory, bringing Bolton to Prem, making Famalicao best team in Portugal (rip career thread due to me being lazy), reviving Heerenveen atm... 

Love you all, stay responsible!

If comments on the internet are making you that mad «then you need to take a deep breath, go read a book, call your family or friends and have a chat with them (be responsible!), take a stroll around the neighborhood (be responsible!), take up working out - something else cos obviously that this might just not be for you.»

Edited by orlyzao

1 minute ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

We are talking 12 year old tech here.

Eventually they are going to have to take the jump and potentially leave a % of the player base behind.

Maybe you are privy to the % of users still playing on below Pentium 4 processors ? According to steam hardware survey dated September 2020 less that 1% of people are using a Pentium 4 or equivalent and less that 6% ish are using the required GPU

As I already said, the FM user base is not on the same level as the average steam user base

1 minute ago, FairyTailed said:

That's just not true though. The ME is the core of entire FM. It has been terrible this year

And yet record numbers have consistently been playing it this year. Simply wouldn't happen if the ME was 'terrible'. It's not like FM attracts people with the glitz and glamour like FIFA does regardless of how poor the actual game is. If the match engine was 'terrible', people simply wouldn't play it. But that's not the case. 

Play the demo this year, if you don't think it's improved any, don't buy it. No-one has a gun to your head. It's a computer game. 

Long gone are the days where i buy FM at release which is something i did religiously from the very 1st CM. The biggest issue being the ME has been lacking for MANY years now which kills alot of the fun for me. Don't get me wrong i do very well in game  too well infact but i feel its more because i understand the ME more over the years and what its trying to tell me but it does a very very poor job in doing so hence why a ton of people complain about what they see their players doing on the pitch. Yes the issue would be 99% of the time their tactic but thats the problem the ME does a terrible job in explaining this. When im managing a match on FM it feels exactly that nothing like real life im just trying to keep up with what the ME is trying to show me and what ive learned to fix it. It feels nothing like managing a game of football and more like finding the correct formula the ME wants you to have for the current match.

Fix this one glaring issue which has been asked for years now and i for one will be happy to support you every year as a lover of the series. But until this glaring issue gets fixed im afraid any new additions just don't seem anywhere near as important atm.

Just now, davehanson said:

Can you tell me any other time when FM was given away free, either for a prolonged period of time or permanently? Do you think this has anything to do with the record numbers? Covid may also have had quite a significant impact here too with most of us forced indoors for months on end.

I am not saying FM isn't popular - of course it is, most of us love the series. This ME is terrible for me and other users. What you think is your own thoughts - what we think is up to us.

TBF, pretty sure FM20 had hit records before the giveaways

8 minutes ago, davehanson said:

Can you tell me any other time when FM was given away free, either for a prolonged period of time or permanently? Do you think this has anything to do with the record numbers? Covid may also have had quite a significant impact here too with most of us forced indoors for months on end.

I am not saying FM isn't popular - of course it is, most of us love the series. This ME is terrible for me and other users. What you think is your own thoughts - what we think is up to us.

FM has been growing over the years for sure partly because football itself has grown more on tv and also because SI/Sega has branched out more making the game available in more places than ever before. This for me is part reason why SI got a little lazy but also if your growing then its ofc more risk to change a working formula. But for sure what seems to be happening is the fan base is becoming much more casual and over the years FM has been losing its hardcore fanbase. Just look at these forums years ago this place used to be about 10x busier than it is now

Edited by stoned_assasin

1 ora fa, rosque ha scritto:

Am I the only one that is actually hyped about the game?

Yes it seems you are the only one. Nothing bad with it, there was nothing to be hyped for from a trailer showing very few and very fast, in my opinion. But if you feel hyped, good for you!

1 ora fa, rosque ha scritto:

agent interactions (CHECK PLAYER AVAILABILITY), better interactions, better pressers. All stuff you lot asked for and got in a short teaser trailer.

No wait. Are you seriously saying people from this forum asked for better interactions, better press conferences and better agent interactions? People? from this forum??

Oh my, which forum I attended through these 12 years? :confused:

(no "funny" replies please :D)

15 minutes ago, stoned_assasin said:

over the years FM has been losing its hardcore fanbase. Just look at these forums years ago this place used to be about 10x busier than it is now

Forums in general aren't as popular as they once were, many people only use social media to interact online nowadays. 

Interesting teaser and fully expect some more in-depth stuff to follow. Seems to me these types of 'announcements' always focus on the new, so if there are detailed match engine or say transfer AI improvements it's not really the sort of thing you put in a teaser trailer. 

Fact there's a dinked goal in the video, when that's clearly something we haven't really seen in the past would suggest work has been done on the ME. Looking forward to seeing more. 

1 minute ago, FairyTailed said:

No matter what you do, you'll always see a player on the wing go to the byline, wait for a minute so the fullback of the defense can drop back, and then cross it against their leg.

I've played this game for over 2000 hours, and never once seen that happen. Seen crosses blocked of course, but never because the winger has casually waited for the defender to catch up. 

I do agree defensive AI still needs improving, but then when you watch attempts at defending in real life, some of the mistakes players make would cause people to go apopleptic with rage if it happened on FM. 

41 minutes ago, FairyTailed said:

I hope "ask agent for player availability" will allow us to get contracting with players regardless of having a deal with the club first.

How often does it happen in real life teams agree terms with players first? All the time.

This is what I'm hoping too.

2 hours ago, Jorgen_B said:

As I  said: nothing new, nothing ... I think this is a manifestation of disrespect for the fans of the game.

I think you're showing disrespect to SI by saying nothing has changed based on a 1 minute teaser!

I honestly get the feeling some of you on here enjoy criticising the game, as you do nothing but moan all the time.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

14 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Forums in general aren't as popular as they once were, many people only use social media to interact online nowadays. 

But this forum is still popular as we see in this thread so people do still come here but interest seems to die down far far sooner than it used to and the place becomes a ghost town not that long after a new release.

1 minute ago, stoned_assasin said:

But this forum is still popular as we see in this thread so people do still come here but interest seems to die down far far sooner than it used to and the place becomes a ghost town not that long after a new release.

Many parts of this forum is really active all year round, but GD is becoming more and more vile, so many avoid it. Take a look in the football subforum for example.

6 minutes ago, stoned_assasin said:

ah there 's alot of over the top negativity that  can be off putting (and that's not me being a fanboy/ blind to issues) but its a bit hysterical at times.  i.e some of the reactions & conclusions based on that first trailer

Kids, I've said once before - behave. If there's any more insults thrown around trying to get a rise out of the other side, we'll just end up having to remove posts and issue warnings. Now act like adults, please, and at least pretend to give a little respect to each other.

The 1 minute trailer is not enough to form an opinion yet and for the last few years I don't really like the way these announcements are made - someone compared it recently to what a Fortnite video looks like and it almost seems that's the audience the video wants to cater to.

This year, more than ever, the idea of trying the demo before purchasing should prevail. Hopefully the demo gets released not too long after the full game's release date :)

I'll be following Twitter / Youtube for the next announcements.

Thanks SI for the release of the the video.

But 1 minute teaser, is hardly to see anything properly.

But there is another factor that needs to be considered here. How much of these "new features" will be included in FMT? 

I think it's telling that we only have a 1 minute teaser, which jumps all over the place requiring you to pause it to see anything, essentially hiding the game. 

I don't think they have much of anything to show, new database and new match engine version plus some console friendly UI changes. 

In light of Covid, a move to Xbox, I'm happy with that and will pick it up at some point. Still be great value. 

4 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

I think it's telling that we only have a 1 minute teaser, which jumps all over the place requiring you to pause it to see anything, essentially hiding the game. 

I don't think they have much of anything to show, new database and new match engine version plus some console friendly UI changes. 

In light of Covid, a move to Xbox, I'm happy with that and will pick it up at some point. Still be great value. 

They've always done just a teaser style and then released more features. 

There's no way anyone can credibly infer one way or another. Forum needs to relax a little

17 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

They've always done just a teaser style and then released more features. 

There's no way anyone can credibly infer one way or another. Forum needs to relax a little

I don't think there's anything that lessens my faith in humanity than this topic (and equivalents) during this yearly stage of the process.

Some say that SI should release the game less often than once a year, but I think they should release it daily so that the psychologically incontinent can be freed from the trauma of each stage of game development and release taking more than a couple of hours.

Conversely I rather enjoy the 3 or 4 days leading up to the unknowable drop time of the beta, although it is a bit depressing that I spend about 1% of my life in that fevered anticipation, refreshing my browser every 5 minutes with no reward other than the reassurance of a shared torment.

Edited by vikeologist

14 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

As for the ME: There's absolutely no way anyone can have a credible view one way or another on it. 

Indeed. There's no way - in any case what's shown in that video is probably short of the build for the BETA anyway. Will wait until the video showing match highlights (touching on animations and anything else ME related) to form a proper view.

I wasn't a fan of the FM20 ME so I'm hopeful we see some improvements.

18 hours ago, forameuss said:

So you watched videos, and deemed just from them that one felt like "real life football" and one didn't?  Seems like pre-conceived notions to me.

Neither product is very good, neither product does everything well, both have glaring weaknesses.  Overall though, the better one is from EA.  And to be honest, you can talk about how FIFA is all style and no substance, but maybe Konami should actually realise that style is actually quite important at times.  

But we're not here to debate the finer points of two completely unrelated games to FM.  To bring it back relating to that, I'd be very, very worried if SI went down the route Konami are trying.

I played both for ~20 hours, and after playing PES 21 (never really played PES), FIFA 21 (which I played every year, having hundreds of hours) just seems dull. FIFA gameplay is so arcadey (didn't notice that before). I didn't like PES either, because their menus are outdated, online mode is complete trash. Anyway, PES gameplay feels like a real game of football.

Can anybody tell me the difference between the EU addition and the UK edition that appears on the CDKeys website. i have ordered the EU addition at £25.99 - will that mean it will not work in the UK? Also, I understand that they offer BETA (which they never used to). Is that right?

20 hours ago, Amarante said:

You don't play FM for graphics though, a sizeable part of this player base don't even use 3D they use 2D. You can see that your tactics are working from 2D movement of dots. 

iirc Miles said on Twitter last year that >90% of the playerbase still plays in 3D. 

2 hours ago, KingCanary said:

This isn't a knock but I'm constantly surprised when I pop my head in here and see people referring to this forum as 'toxic' or similar. It is probably one the tamest and politest forums I've seen on the internet and often feels a touch over moderated.

Absolutely under moderated is an understatement

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

It's way too early to be kicking off :D

I'm looking forward to the feature releases & live streams over the next few weeks, certainly helping to keep my mind off what's happening in the real world 

Teasers might not be for everyone, which is fair enough, what people like or not like is subjective. But some of the "definitive" statements around just can't be made yet. 

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Teasers might not be for everyone, which is fair enough, what people like or not like is subjective. But some of the "definitive" statements around just can't be made yet. 

ME calls on 5 seconds of footage is a tad dramatic, at least wait for the beta :D

Is it just me that is finding it hard to get excited for FM21?

• xG will be the new chances created
  • Body language will just either be skipped, broken or may not work
  • Media handling - skipped as always
  • Match day looks like a new skin like every new fm I guess

I hope they actually do things that people want like having a decent new stable ME, something to use money on that you've earnt in game etc.

I do also understand that with covid it even makes it harder again. Probably the first FM I will skip since even CM days

4 minutes ago, ferrarinseb said:

Is that what it was called last year? I often rememberd it as Chuck norris thread or Chuck norris appreciation thread. 

I can’t remember why it was called but boy was there a lot of gifs