RTG

Next England Manager  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Next England Manager

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Arry has suggested Tim for the job:

Redknapp also suggested former Tottenham and Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood as a possible option.

"He's got passion, enthusiasm, I'll come and work with him all day," said the 69-year-old. "He's young, enthusiastic, knows the game."

:cool:

I think after his comments about Southgate, he might be taking the **** with the Sherwood recommendation.

Although in fairness some coaches have failed at club management and been great national team managers. Chris Coleman never really achieved much managing at club level but look what he's doing with Wales. Gary Speed could've been the best Wales manager since Jimmy Murphy if things hadn't ended in tragedy like it did - and yet he didn't exactly set the world on fire at Sheffield United.

Id give it to Shearer. No experience but so what, what has experience got us so far? He is passionate and will have the respect of the players. Passion is something we need in the team

I think you're spot on. For me he's the only really credible candidate. To be honest I don't think you need a great amount of experience managing a club, when you have the international football experience he has. If he feels he lacks something tactically, I'm sure he'd bring in a competent assistant. He must have learned something from Venables etc, and captaining England for so long. I think part of the problem of the English players is that a lot of them have bought into their own hype, and haven't really achieved anything in football yet. They think they just need to turn up to win. I think with Shearer, he's been there and done it so should command the respect of the players, and change their mentality too!

I think after his comments about Southgate, he might be taking the **** with the Sherwood recommendation.

Although in fairness some coaches have failed at club management and been great national team managers. Chris Coleman never really achieved much managing at club level but look what he's doing with Wales. Gary Speed could've been the best Wales manager since Jimmy Murphy if things hadn't ended in tragedy like it did - and yet he didn't exactly set the world on fire at Sheffield United.

I don't really think Coleman has done much more than Speed was doing with the national team to be honest. He has a world class player who makes an average squad look much more better. Even with Hodgson's tactical sense, somebody like a Bale would make a huge difference to the England team as long as you played him in the right position

Id give it to Shearer. No experience but so what, what has experience got us so far? He is passionate and will have the respect of the players. Passion is something we need in the team

Agreed. Passion is what we've lacked, our inability to break teams down came down to passion, not dreadful tactics and a lack of creative quality

Alan Shearer a credible candidate for the England job? Words fail me. If Shearer is a credible candidate then so is Southgate or Neville - both played under Venables so have presumably "learned something", and both of them have been equally successful at club management as Shearer.

Shearer is no more a "credible" candidate than Ian Wright.

Alan Shearer a credible candidate for the England job? Words fail me. If Shearer is a credible candidate then so is Southgate or Neville - both played under Venables so have presumably "learned something", and both of them have been equally successful at club management as Shearer.

Shearer is no more a "credible" candidate than Ian Wright.

Perhaps we will get both.

I think there is a big difference in managing international & club football. Certain people are more suited to one or the other.

Perhaps we will get both.

I think there is a big difference in managing international & club football. Certain people are more suited to one or the other.

To be fair, Hodgson was one of the camp of managers that I thought would be perfectly suited to International football given his previous successes.

Whoever the manager ends up being, nothing will change if we don't change the way things are done. Namely, with talented, young players. We always rush them into the senior squad when I think they need to spend more time learning with the U21s. Sterling, Alli, Rashford, etc. are good players and potentially could be even better, but they should be earning their stripes and getting tournament experience with the U21s before being promoted to the senior squad. It works for the likes of Germany and Spain, and I really think we need to adopt this kind of approach.

Agreed. The reason that Spain and Germany can afford to let these talented young players play in the u21s though is because they have so many of them coming through that they don't need to rush them. In this country there is a lack of quality young players coming through and if they get a chance in the first team and perform well for 10 games they're in the England squad and are going to win us the Euro's or World Cup. No. Not happening.

When we appoint a man manager with passion like Keegan, we moan about their tactical ineptitude. When we have a tactician with a calmer exterior like Capello, we moan about the lack of passion. When we appoint someone with neither like McClaren we moan about, erm, our inability to qualify for major tournaments.

It's clear to me that the dream team going forward would be a joint effort from LVG and Tim Sherwood, the best of both worlds.

On a more serious note, I don't think it matters all that much. I believe that the issues which contribute to our downfall cannot be solved by the manager, they go all the way down to grassroots level and right up to the nature of the premier league. I think it's notable that players who have turned out regularly for their premier league side rarely have good international tournaments - and that's not just the English either, it affects other nationalities too. The team looked mentally and physically drained last night despite having a week since their last fixture, and I believe the style of the premier league not only takes its toll on the participants, it's also not a great breeding ground for tournament performances.

I think it's telling that while last night was one of the worst tournament performances I can ever remember from our national side (and I'm in my mid-30's, so I can remember a few), it wasn't a million miles away from how we often play in tournaments. In fact, our group stage efforts were probably some of the better performances I've seen since 1996. Go figure.

Capello wasn't exactly great tactically anyway, played out-of-form players regularly.

Thats been a problem for years with England. Either playing players out of position just to fit them in the team, or playing players who arent match fit or on form

I think it's telling that while last night was one of the worst tournament performances I can ever remember from our national side (and I'm in my mid-30's, so I can remember a few), it wasn't a million miles away from how we often play in tournaments. In fact, our group stage efforts were probably some of the better performances I've seen since 1996. Go figure.
I kind of agree with this. The first half against Slovakia was approaching competent. The trouble was it was against Slovakia.

Other than Shearer who said he would take it, how many other managers actually would want it? Ok giving all these names but havent England had this problem in the past that no ****er will touch the job with a barge pole :D

Why not? Surely a few will be thinking "Well whatever happens, I can't do worse than Roy...."

Plus, the FA will throw money at what is essentially a part-time job.

The fact that people are actually advocating Shearer for the job is just utterly embarrassing. Who the **** does he think he is to even publicly announce that he'd be up for the job, as if he's in anyway qualified for it? You can't write off his managerial career for failing to keep Newcastle up when he took the job, they were as good as down and it would've taken a miracle to keep them up (a miracle that other managers have managed with other clubs - but still you can't write him off based on that). But the issue is that after that failure - Shearer has made absolutely no attempt to prove himself, build back his reputation, develop himself as a manager etc. He's sat on a Match of the Day sofa for TEN YEARS, giving, for the most part - lackluster and woeful insight and analysis.

The fact that people are actually advocating Shearer for the job is just utterly embarrassing. Who the **** does he think he is to even publicly announce that he'd be up for the job, as if he's in anyway qualified for it? You can't write off his managerial career for failing to keep Newcastle up when he took the job, they were as good as down and it would've taken a miracle to keep them up (a miracle that other managers have managed with other clubs - but still you can't write him off based on that). But the issue is that after that failure - Shearer has made absolutely no attempt to prove himself, build back his reputation, develop himself as a manager etc. He's sat on a Match of the Day sofa for TEN YEARS, giving, for the most part - lackluster and woeful insight and analysis.

Not entirely sure he was serious. :D

But who wouldn't want a part time job that pays £4 million per year? lol:

Not entirely sure he was serious. :D

But who wouldn't want a part time job that pays £4 million per year? lol:

He said he offered himself to the FA 4 years ago - that seems pretty serious to me. It would've been just as much of a joke to appoint him in 2012. The guy is deluded as **** if he thinks he's in anyway qualified to be England manager based purely on his playing career, 8 weeks in charge of Newcastle and 10 years spent sitting on a Match of the Day sofa losing hair and gaining weight.

Shearer has a 12.5% win ratio as a manager and took a while to adapt to being a halfway decent analyst on MoTD, apparently less due to discomfort with the TV studio and more due to having surprisingly little to say about games.

I'm not sure the England job is really one to learn on...

To be fair, one of Shearers points was he knows what tournament situations are like and how to deal with the pressure which he can help the players with. I'd have him in the coaching set up but not as manager.

Neville should have been that guy in the coaching team, but I get the impression he talks a good game but can't deliver. As the players looked more shot to pieces and his Valencia spell they looked shot to pieces.

That guys like Shearer, Neville and even Rio are getting more votes or mentions than someone like Chris Hughton is embarrassing.

Even Pardew getting more mentions is weird, since one of them is somewhat consistent in doing well with clubs and the other is consistent in making them sink. In fact he took over from Hughton at Newcastle and failed spectacularly, so there's a direct comparison there. He's only had a few good months at Palace before they didn't win for 3 months in a row, lost to Villa, and only got 2 wins in the final 5 months. He's a good bet to get sacked next season, continuing the running theme of his career. Besides all that, he's too provocative to be considered by the F.A.

Wouldnt want Pardew you just know we'll go off to a great start like winning all our games in his first year, then suddenly we'll lose to Scotland or something in the 7th round of the World Cup qualifiers and end up losing the next 3 after and ending having to watch Russia 2018 at home.... Whilst Scotland get knocked out in the last 16 stage by Angola ;)

Archived