Next England manager?

RTG

Next England Manager  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Next England Manager

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoever the manager ends up being, nothing will change if we don't change the way things are done. Namely, with talented, young players. We always rush them into the senior squad when I think they need to spend more time learning with the U21s. Sterling, Alli, Rashford, etc. are good players and potentially could be even better, but they should be earning their stripes and getting tournament experience with the U21s before being promoted to the senior squad. It works for the likes of Germany and Spain, and I really think we need to adopt this kind of approach.

Whoever the manager ends up being, nothing will change if we don't change the way things are done. Namely, with talented, young players. We always rush them into the senior squad when I think they need to spend more time learning with the U21s. Sterling, Alli, Rashford, etc. are good players and potentially could be even better, but they should be earning their stripes and getting tournament experience with the U21s before being promoted to the senior squad. It works for the likes of Germany and Spain, and I really think we need to adopt this kind of approach.

I couldn't disagree more...

U21 football is almost pointless because it currently features:

a) overage players who are more than ready to play with the senior team (and who likely already have considerable first-team playing time for their club)

b) mediocre players who stand little or no chance to ever make it for the actual NT but who are in the U21 setup because they're the less awful option for the team

and same goes for most Top nations, while smaller nations have it even tougher, as the few hot prospects are promoted directly to the senior NT.

The problem with England isn't they hotshot every decent talent into the NT, but that said players are, often, either vastly overrated or don't have enough maturity to handle the extra pressure of being portrayed as the Next Big Thing in English football.

And anyway in the current squad, the biggest disappointment came from players who should have been ready to lead the team... Actually, the lack of leadership is what has held England back for all those years... alongside an disporportioned belief in a squad that often featured many good players who bought into their own hype and believed they'd win only by showing up.

Whoever will take the job over, his top priority should be rebuilding the squad's confidence without turning it into cockiness. Basically what Conte did with Italy.

There does need to be either an acceptance that England aren't as good as they once were and to try to get the players playing without fear as a result, or someone coming in to get tough with them and make sure they're able to deal with the pressure that gets piled upon them. Ranieri would be fantastic for the former.

There's the root of all your problems!

England were NEVER as good as they thought they were... That's more or less a myth from back when England basically refused to compete with the rest of the world on the (false) pretense that having invented modern football, they were the best at it by default and by divine right.

It can't be a coincidence England's only triumph came at home and under questionable circumstances, while the list of failures is a mile long...

Then the success of the EPL has reinforced that weird sense of superiority, despite the league having become what it is thanks to foreign players and managers (and owners).

England's whole football world MUST move on and accept that illustrious (and mostly fictitious) past is long gone and start from scratch, like other countries did.

If we are going English which I think despite the lack of candidates we should do really, it has to be Big Sam he'd be the most tactically astute and most respected and probably most no-nonsense. Still think we should give English coaches chances and this is about as big a job as they can get tbh.

If we went foreign though I'd take Rafa.

There's the root of all your problems!

England were NEVER as good as they thought they were... That's more or less a myth from back when England basically refused to compete with the rest of the world on the (false) pretense that having invented modern football, they were the best at it by default and by divine right.

It can't be a coincidence England's only triumph came at home and under questionable circumstances, while the list of failures is a mile long...

Then the success of the EPL has reinforced that weird sense of superiority, despite the league having become what it is thanks to foreign players and managers (and owners).

England's whole football world MUST move on and accept that illustrious (and mostly fictitious) past is long gone and start from scratch, like other countries did.

it's not so much the 'success' of the Premier League but the inflation of it's own bubble from within

I couldn't disagree more...

U21 football is almost pointless because it currently features:

a) overage players who are more than ready to play with the senior team (and who likely already have considerable first-team playing time for their club)

b) mediocre players who stand little or no chance to ever make it for the actual NT but who are in the U21 setup because they're the less awful option for the team

and same goes for most Top nations, while smaller nations have it even tougher, as the few hot prospects are promoted directly to the senior NT.

The problem with England isn't they hotshot every decent talent into the NT, but that said players are, often, either vastly overrated or don't have enough maturity to handle the extra pressure of being portrayed as the Next Big Thing in English football.

And anyway in the current squad, the biggest disappointment came from players who should have been ready to lead the team... Actually, the lack of leadership is what has held England back for all those years... alongside an disporportioned belief in a squad that often featured many good players who bought into their own hype and believed they'd win only by showing up.

Whoever will take the job over, his top priority should be rebuilding the squad's confidence without turning it into cockiness. Basically what Conte did with Italy.

Perhaps some of these players are over-hyped because they are rushed into the senior team? Maybe if they had to earn it by playing more U21s then it would take the pressure off and the media wouldn't hype them so much.

Leadership is a massive problem, as is team spirit. We need a manager to mould a team of players, rather than a "group" as Hodgson often refers to them.

So would Gary Neville and his career has gone great so far.

Remember making a joke about people really wanting Neville after WC14 saying lets get Danny Murphy in whilst we're at it as he sounded good on MOTD and has as much experience, and people were having a go at me. Now they actually want Shearer for being angry on a highlights show :D.

Id give it to Shearer. No experience but so what, what has experience got us so far? He is passionate and will have the respect of the players. Passion is something we need in the team

Passion is essentially nonsense. To advocate the hiring of a football manager on "passion" alone is ridiculous.

Id give it to Shearer. No experience but so what, what has experience got us so far? He is passionate and will have the respect of the players. Passion is something we need in the team

Passion on the TV is one thing, but using that to improve a National team is another. Passion can be wreckless.

Pearce was/is passionate, but id not have him anywhere near the England team.

England always want to be the next thing... it was Holland, then Spain... maybe its Germany, or Iceland/Leicester. We cling on to something that we have seen works and go steaming in, believing that it will work for us... but by the time we get anywhere near it, the next fad in football is there. Who cares what other nations do, we have what we have and all we need is a manager/coach that understands that and is confident that he can bring the best out of them.

We just need someone who can manage players, is confident in using his own system and getting players in to play that. Someone who picks players for his system, based on form and ability and not because they are 'one of the boys'... or flavor of the months because the Sun or Sky Sports are running the hype.

Football should be simplified, we dont need to teach England players, they are all professionals, they are comfortable with a ball, there should be no doubting their ability to do things with the ball. They just need a manager to come in, put his formation/tactics in place and thats it. Have a plan B,C, and D ready for situations, but from the get-go, do our thing and sod everything else.

Passion is essentially nonsense. To advocate the hiring of a football manager on "passion" alone is ridiculous.

Thats not the only reason. Just helps he had it unlike most we seem to pick. He cannot do any worse than others we have had. Give him a go try something different

If shearer is goof tactically then fine but how do we know? no from me

The fact Newcastle actually looked tactically bereft when he managed them? They actually managed to look worse after he took over.

Surely you can tell from Shearer's 'insight' on MOTD that he'd be lacking as a manager?

I voted for Howe but tbh would be leaning towards Allardyce right now. He does the simple things well, he'd know which system would suit us best and would stick with it.

We looked better with him, not saying much mind.

Not from what I remember, 4 goals, 5 points in 8 games suggests it was no where near as good as Keegan and even Kinnear's spell was better.

• Administrators

Not a single English candidate I'd have any faith in being able to do a good job.

Too early for Howe and a lot of the others are blowhards. Based just on his commentary last night picking holes in it all, I'd say Hoddle would be a better choice than sadly Roy turned out to be.

There does need to be either an acceptance that England aren't as good as they once were and to try to get the players playing without fear as a result, or someone coming in to get tough with them and make sure they're able to deal with the pressure that gets piled upon them. Ranieri would be fantastic for the former.

Everyone has accepted we're not good enough to be favourites or mentioned in same breath ffs. Still doesn't excuse the **** bottling performance last night when it comes to a knock out game against what is a small nation.

Ranieri was horrific for Greece. Just because he won the league his stock is high, doesn't wipe away past failures.

There really isn't anyone out there. If it has to be English - Just give it to Pulis or Allardyce. It won't be pretty, but at least we'll have an identity and system we can put our finger on.

Actually, I'm jumping on the Pulis bus!

Not a single English candidate I'd have any faith in being able to do a good job.

Too early for Howe and a lot of the others are blowhards. Based just on his commentary last night picking holes in it all, I'd say Hoddle would be a better choice than sadly Roy turned out to be.

yeah but it's easy to do that when you are watching from a gantry :D Hoddle would make the same mistakes as Roy did I reckon, having favourites and then consistently playing them when they aren't doing enough

One name I haven't seen talked about much is Steve Bruce, looking at the other names I think he should certainly be in the discussion.

I'm a Hull fan, and although l can see why people on the outside may deem SB worthy of consideration l have to say he's certainly not up to the England job, in the same way that Ian Holloway and Neil Warnock aren't.

I really hate the use of the word "passion" in discussions regarding the England team. The word means different things to different people. To many Paolo di Canio is passionate. Joe Hart is passionate. In my experience "passion" is often confused with histrionic bluster, and this is rarely a trait found in successful football managers.

There really isn't anyone out there. If it has to be English - Just give it to Pulis or Allardyce. It won't be pretty, but at least we'll have an identity and system we can put our finger on.

Actually, I'm jumping on the Pulis bus!

Pulis is Welsh...

Arry has suggested Tim for the job:

Redknapp also suggested former Tottenham and Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood as a possible option.

"He's got passion, enthusiasm, I'll come and work with him all day," said the 69-year-old. "He's young, enthusiastic, knows the game."

:cool:

Archived