VAR always makes the same decisions

Also VAR on the edge of the box It will be a free kick.

When a cross is hit too deep and the ref consults VAR it will be penalty.

It's pointless when the decisions are always the same Id rarther them remove VAR from the game until fixed or at least have an option to disable it.

The principle of Var is good. It’s needed. But not in its current form. The offside rule needs adapting, again. FM needs some variety in its var use.. although it’s fulfilling the current state of the real Var, by being annoying, at least ;)

+1 to this cant believe i haven't  posted myself i have thought about it during play time often, var always gives the penalty or chalks off the goal for offside,and im 5/6 seasons deep

I've noticed this too - particular when it comes to offside reviews. If I see a VAR review after I've scored a goal, I know it's going to be disallowed, which is frustrating. In real life, VAR is used for marginal offside calls, so sometimes the player is onside and the goal counts. It would be nice if Football Manager could reflect this to make the use of VAR more realistic.

On 04/01/2020 at 04:05, GR3NDAL said:

Whenever VAR is consulted in the game you know exactly what the result will be. For example if it a possible offside for a goal then it WILL be offside. If the ref consults VAR for a possible foul in the box he WILL award penalty. This is just my observations after two and half seasons and it takes away any of the tension that you should feel waiting on a VAR ruling.

To add to this, if the ball goes out of play after the tackle, it won't be given as a penalty.

Same. FM19 at least some decisions are different like goal being allowed after VAR. But you can tell if goal is disallowed because if you are chasing the game, players will celebrate if the goal is disallowed.

I posted this issue in the bugs forum about a week ago and after a few days the post vanished. I think this issue has been raised, possibly multiple times already, but could a mod confirm this IS a known issue and that it’s something being looked at please?

Il 12/1/2020 in 13:01 , formerlyiab ha scritto:

This.

There is no tension when a decision goes to VAR - in its current form VAR in Football Manager is utterly pointless.

same as on one on one and heading in the box

5 minutes ago, BuryBlade said:

For the first time yesterday, I had VAR rule No penalty (no foul) in one of my games. Before that, every single time was as the OP has described. More variety like real life would be great. 

Was it just outside the area?

2 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

Was it just outside the area?

No, I’ve had a few like that but this was in the six yard box and the VAR decided no foul and gave a corner instead! First time I’d ever seen it and I was all set for seeing my penalty! 

31 minutes ago, Vault-Tec said:

yeah it's completely useless.

Without any wickedness towards SI's staff, these VAR's problems are obvious by playing one season, and I don't understand why they have still not been fixed.

Even if they can't fix it, it's a case where it's pretty clear disabling the feature entirely would be preferable to keeping it in the extremely broken state it's in at the moment. And to do so would be really pretty trivial - in fact with a bit of effort a normal user can do it using the pre-game editor. But that would involve admitting the scale of the problem.

Em 04/01/2020 em 04:05, GR3NDAL disse:

Whenever VAR is consulted in the game you know exactly what the result will be. For example if it a possible offside for a goal then it WILL be offside. If the ref consults VAR for a possible foul in the box he WILL award penalty. This is just my observations after two and half seasons and it takes away any of the tension that you should feel waiting on a VAR ruling.

Agree, this is a real issue and takes down the unpredictability of football, which is what makes it so interesting and passionate.

• 2 months later...

I like when there is an attack, the ball is saved or cleared from on the line but it then put in the net anyway from the rebound.  Cue a VAR decision on whether the original shot went in or not?!  It always didn't but was a goal a few seconds later anyway!

Somewhere it is logical, as a computer game can be very accurate on this matters, or maybe we can say 100%. If we want it to be like irl, then SI needs to put in a margin of faults done by the referee's in this game. So then the Var can be there to assist and you can get that different outcomes like irl. Now its just clear on some situations, like you say about penalties etc. its a repeated situation where the Var comes into play but you already know the outcome as there is no room for errors done by the ref. as the game is in this case really accurate or lets even say 100%. 

• 1 month later...

I've only played as high as the Championship but if VAR in FM20 is anything like the god damn goal line technology replays in FM19 then I think I would probably throw my laptop out of the window...every single frigging time you know it hasn't crossed the line, and it becomes a race to how quickly you can hit the skip button :seagull:

2 hours ago, IbrahimAliMaher said:

I've only played as high as the Championship but if VAR in FM20 is anything like the god damn goal line technology replays in FM19 then I think I would probably throw my laptop out of the window...every single frigging time you know it hasn't crossed the line, and it becomes a race to how quickly you can hit the skip button :seagull:

That's pretty much it, but it takes much, much longer and there isn't a skip button. It's embarrassingly broken and really, if SI couldn't get it to work, should've been removed from the game entirely in one of the patches.

When they use VAR after goal is scored to check if it is offside,  it always is and the goal is always disallowed. However I have seen a few times that the contact inside of the box is checked and awarded no penalty.

Keep in mind this depends on which Highlight mode you're using. If, say, you're playing on Key highlights, VAR will always work the way you noticed.

If, instead, you play on Extended, you could see some "no penalty" VAR decisions.

That's fair actually, in/out of the box is the only one that works. I play on Comprehensive, and I think literally over 99% of the time if they're checking whether it's a foul or not it is, and if they're checking whether it's offside or not it is. Red card and mistaken identity checks don't even seem to be implemented at all.

On 08/06/2020 at 14:17, llDracoll said:

Keep in mind this depends on which Highlight mode you're using. If, say, you're playing on Key highlights, VAR will always work the way you noticed.

If, instead, you play on Extended, you could see some "no penalty" VAR decisions.

You dont.....

I had the 'is it in the box' one three times in one game, every time it was outside the box. Very frustrating.

Further compounded by the next game a foul that was right on the edge of the area, given as a pen with no referral to VAR. So you know as soon as VAR is involved that it is outside the box.

Edited by KingCanary

I remember this definitely being far less predictable in FM 19. You had goals that were either allowed or disallowed after a VAR check. In FM 20, a VAR check always means a disallowed goal. Similarly, VAR checks for a foul in the box always results in a penalty. Last year this wasn't the case.

The only one I've seen go either way was the foul inside/outside the box. I'd say it ended up being a FK about 95% of the time. Can only remember one incident of a penalty being awarded.

Hopefully this is freshened up for FM 21. It's a pain when the referee goes all the way to the monitor when the result is all so predictable.

Somebody I know online was telling me that his goalkeeper picked up the ball near the edge of the box and ended up dragged out of the box. This is obviously a free kick..but VAR was consulted to check if it should be a free kick or pen...

1 hour ago, Lenzar said:

Somebody I know online was telling me that his goalkeeper picked up the ball near the edge of the box and ended up dragged out of the box. This is obviously a free kick..but VAR was consulted to check if it should be a free kick or pen...

That sounds like a bug triggered by the offence being one that crosses the line of the penalty area or whatever triggers that VAR call

• 9 months later...
5 hours ago, beatmama said:

Still no any impovements in 21.4, oh come on.

VAR isn't really in FM. They've just tagged the animation onto offsides, penalties and free kicks on the edge of the box. That's why the decisions are always the same. It really needs to be done properly.

• 2 months later...

Dude VAR is always the same, if VAR gets called in FM 20 (Still using 20 cos no point in 21 till August) the decision will be the same, if its suspected penalty, offside, foul itll always ring it, on top of it offside rule chalked off atleast dozen of mine Sensi goals since Skriniar or someone else stays in box after free kick or corner and when he whistles a 25 volley past the goallie its offside even tho no one touched it or was near the play area, the offside rule and VAR cost you much more then stupid reff mistakes of the past 

8 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

I have just, for the very first time, been awarded a goal after the opposition players appealed for offside and VAR became involved. :)

That happened to me exactly once in about 900 hours of fm21 :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
5 hours ago, phd_angel said:

I did - many months ago. Any estimate of when SI team will have this fixed?

Is down to how certain decisions are presented in game. Due to the flow of the game, different decisions are often quickly given to the referee in their earpiece (so for instance, they say goal is onside) so time isn't taken out of the game for the referee to run over to the sideline etc and there isn't clear commentary in-match to make it clear this has happened. This gives the impression one type of decision is more prevalent than others. The actual balance of decisions given/not given in-game is modelled on real life. 

It's something which has been raised within the community and is something we're looking at for future versions of FM. 

13 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Is down to how certain decisions are presented in game. Due to the flow of the game, different decisions are often quickly given to the referee in their earpiece (so for instance, they say goal is onside) so time isn't taken out of the game for the referee to run over to the sideline etc and there isn't clear commentary in-match to make it clear this has happened. This gives the impression one type of decision is more prevalent than others. The actual balance of decisions given/not given in-game is modelled on real life. 

It's something which has been raised within the community and is something we're looking at for future versions of FM. 

Even if VAR reviews (the one where the ref actually reviews footage) is working as intended, It would be amazing if there was an option to keep it in the commentary. Personally, I utterly hate waiting for the little ref to run up and review the play, especially when we already know what the outcome is 95% of the time. Keep VAR, but please remove the presentation of it