Football Manager 2021 - New Headline Features

I hope that at least they will present the game with a pre-game editor that isn't broken. Had to give up building a custom Champions League this year because the freaking editor won't allow me to make preliminaries without bugging and letting teams eliminated enter the next stage.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Presumably that’s not all the features for FM21 and there are more next week, fingers crossed that International management has had some treatment as that is one of the most lifeless and stale parts of the game for me.

2 hours ago, CM said:

And one thing captured my attention is German Super Cup was on 16th of September. At least fixtures have probably been adapted to reflect Covid in the game?

Good spot, I hadn't noticed that.

1 hour ago, Novem9 said:

Do I understood it correct, that I can no spent my time for manual searching, just say 'I want creative CM' for example and scouts share me a list of players some time later?

No, from what Spence said you can still do that no problem, it's just that you can get better feedback from the board and coaches on where they believe the team needs to be strengthened, and give the scouts particular types of players to be looking at, all on one screen at the beginning of a transfer window. I like that, better than having to jump between several screens to do the same thing.

xG stats and new recruitment screen (hopefully replaces the chaotic scouting centre) look interesting. The rest... not so much. Fairly underwhelming headline features imho, hopefully next updates will be more exciting.

37 minutes ago, roykela said:

Waiting to hear about more stuff. This video did not get my excitement up.
Just posting my spontaneous first impressions here. The actual experience may or may not be very different.

- Interaction.
Looks more cumbersome and annoying. Gives me a reason to finally have my assistant do all of that.
Outstretched arms, point finger etc. Nope. No thanks. Don't care.

- Matchday.
Post match. How the media reacted and how the fans have reacted. Don't care. For me; the less there is with social media stuff in this game the better.
I will most likely ignore it completely.
Data analysis and xG spark my interest a little though. Although my analsys is by watching the matches. I will go by my own visual xG.

- Recruitment
Looks interesting. Might very well be something i will like.

- End of season.
Celebrations on the pitch. That's what's on my screen when i go to the toilet after winning something. If i don't go to the toilet it'll be quickly bypassed. Couldn't care less.
Updated end of season highlights. That's good,

Not too excited after watching the first batch revealed. 
Looking forward to October 19th. Hoping that will get me more excited.

In other words you'll be happy with spreadsheet?

The 2nd feature was really interesting. I for one have been complaining about the mundanity of press interactions,  This has been one aspect of the game that’s hardly moved forward and I for one am looking forward to the new interactions.

There are plenty of nice touches and I was actually happy to see the new match day screen, there could be a quality of life change with one small addition that I spotted. 

Other than that for immersion value the streamlined scouting meetings are definitely a step up from the Scouting Centre Reports  This could be a major fail for me if the recommendations aren’t in line with club vision. Or, if scouting recommendations don’t take into account our financial position. 

I'm a little conflicted as well on this one, normally I pre-order no questions, I generally want to keep supporting development, but this years features (which I realise have been covid affected) are a little disappointing considering we are being asked for full price again.

Last years poor 3D match engine performance at release was also a kick in the teeth that I haven't forgotten.

I'm starting to feel a little taken advantage of.

5 hours ago, Exius said:

Feeling disappointed... It seems, I'll skip this one like I skipped FM 2020. I hope the day will come when they announce a massively improved ME as a major headline feature, not these minor things nobody cares about. Every year I see a lot of cool ideas in feature suggestion threads and it seems that they choose the least interesting and important ones.

PS Can someone explain me, how does it happen that even in FM 2021 the pitch looks worse than in a 10-year old (!) FM 2011? Is this something so difficult to fix?
image.thumb.png.d3b185339d514bd4f06e3459107f83a3.png

Pitch on the right looks like 3G/rolled carpet.

Until the game is in my hands, I'll be sitting on the fence and I won't be making any definite judgements about its playability.

However, one thing that I'm slightly concerned about is that gestures have different meanings in different cultures, so it will be interesting how that feature is implemented. It could potentially open an unexpected can of worms. 

So the full screen feature on the 3D match day isn't a new feature . Its just a return to the FM17 and previous games . Again touting new features from ones they have removed previously , But its a welcomed return and im sure new features to that screen will be added . Wasnt going to buy this next game but those ###tards keep pushing my buttons :applause: .  Disappointed with the playing surfaces again looking like a plastic carpet than a playing grass field . I am hoping for better stadiums especially the smaller ones which hold only 500 or 1000 spectators . The Audio also needs a shakeup as its the same as it was in years ago with no improvements over the years . and of course the Match Engine is always a ongoing issue and i cant say anymore on that for fear of being blocked but it has become well known on other forums so i will leave that alone . The other issue i have is the chatting to players etc . Its very limited and still with new ones added it becomes mundane after a while saying or choosing the same options to tell a player . But FM21 was always going to be tough with Covid-19 . Also the A-League has announced a new schedule that now runs from December to June so i hope that gets in the game  

52 minutes ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

Pitch on the right looks like 3G/rolled carpet.

Yeah if it wasnt for Mods i wouldnt play this game . Looks like carpet and its just lazy all round . Its not difficult to fix at all as many Mods have done it . SI have always said its about Managing the game rather than a 3D extravaganza but the time has come to start putting more into the 3D Presentation , Audio , Stadiums , etc

Edited by alian62

7 minutes ago, DementedHammer said:

Until the game is in my hands, I'll be sitting on the fence and I won't be making any definite judgements about its playability.

However, one thing that I'm slightly concerned about is that gestures have different meanings in different cultures, so it will be interesting how that feature is implemented. It could potentially open an unexpected can of worms. 

Can't wait to give my Brazilian wonderkid the Ok symbol when he scores. >_>

6 часов назад, JordanMillward_1 сказал:

No, from what Spence said you can still do that no problem, it's just that you can get better feedback from the board and coaches on where they believe the team needs to be strengthened, and give the scouts particular types of players to be looking at, all on one screen at the beginning of a transfer window. I like that, better than having to jump between several screens to do the same thing.

Probably I say something wrong and you don't understand me. This new feature looks like one from I asked before. I play journeyman saves and when I move in new club sometimes I need a quick transfers, first season especially. So this will be very useful for me if it will be working correctly. Current DoF let me some strange options for transfers

P.s. I don't have a push about your answer/quote me. Do I need to inform about bug?

Edited by Novem9

End of season.

I have a crazy season in fm20, my AZ has 93 points , Ajax 92 and 3th team just ~75. Season of drama, season if moments. I beat a lot of teams 3-0, 4-0, 5-0.

Ajax beat me 5-0 in 33 match day and win 7-0 his last game of season because if I lose points in 34 matchday , Ajax will be champion by better goal difference. I scored just one goal in second half and won league. 

Season results. Best game (or key game, something like this) - some draw 3-3 between two middle teams without any success. I won league for AZ first time for 15 years and 3th time in history, I have absolutely record for club points in league. Okay this is good achievement for 3th place in nomination of best manager.

I really interested new end of season will be improved in logics or it's the same in new decoration

5 hours ago, 99 said:

(please don't tell me I have to choose if I open my arms or if I point a finger before each press conference answer)

Pretty sure the gestures just replaced the old Cautious, Calm, Assertive and Aggressive buttons. Hopefully it isn't just a reskin and they did some work on player interactions and team talks in general, but it should end up in the same amount of clicks as currently.

7 hours ago, stevemc said:

fingers crossed that International management has had some treatment as that is one of the most lifeless and stale parts of the game for me.

Bit like real life then with internationals being dead and lifeless. 
All joking aside, agree international management does need changes, I’ve avoided international management for years because of it.

I really like the new animations, looks better.

End of the season scouting meetings is a good addition. I always thought the staff, the manager and the board have more interactions and are all working toghether to improve the squad. This is probably a step in the right direction.

Not too exited about the new interactions. Hope they don't complicate things too much.

And I really hope xG will stop the endless user posts on forums about how they "dominated"but still lost the match.

11 hours ago, noikeee said:

And it's too cartoonish with unlockables and all that crap. Having to unlock stuff for being able to manage internationally? Being coerced to try to buy addons to cheat on every other screen? It feels like you're not playing a "proper" game. 

This is so true. The microtransactions make the game feel so childish. "Magic sponge" makes me cringe every time I read it.

31 минуту назад, sedge11 сказал:

Bit like real life then with internationals being dead and lifeless. 
All joking aside, agree international management does need changes, I’ve avoided international management for years because of it.

The same for corners/freekicks. This system is so old and unfriendly so I just use default. Have no idea why it linked for positions. Its need link for player many years ago. Also for players in box area who waiting for passing. Its working by height / jumping / heading, not a positions

1 minute ago, Novem9 said:

Also for players in box area who waiting for passing. Its working by height / jumping / heading, not a positions

This is something I'm waiting to get fixed. "Hopely I can help in that". It might also be partly animation thing.

50 minutes ago, Ninza said:

Are Regen faces the same as FM 20?

You can see two of them here:

22HN3BD.jpg

Also, judging by the Fitness icons on the bottom right, it seems like the percentage numbers are indeed hidden (icons acting like progress bars). The only question is whether you will see the numbers after hoovering over them or not.

49 minutes ago, bielsadidnothingwrong said:

This is so true. The microtransactions make the game feel so childish. "Magic sponge" makes me cringe every time I read it.

The one that I always end up paying extra for is to unlock the ability to mask attributes. That's so integral to the game that it does feel a bit wrong having to pay extra for it to use it from day one. 

Nice to see that after 31 years of champ man/football manager that the main feature of this management sim is that focus is 'finally,' on the manager...............

Not really sure stagnation covers it at this point. Meh, I'll probably still get it, still lots of new features that aren't really new here. 

hace 3 minutos, DementedHammer dijo:

The one that I always end up paying extra for is to unlock the ability to mask attributes. That's so integral to the game that it does feel a bit wrong having to pay extra for it to use it from day one. 

Just load a single nation like Spain, chose a top team like Real Madrid or Barcelona, holidays for a whole season and you will unlock it for free as the requirement is related to having a top player or something that I can't remember right now but that it's easy with a top team just holidaying.

29 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

You can see two of them here:

22HN3BD.jpg

Also, judging by the Fitness icons on the bottom right, it seems like the percentage numbers are indeed hidden (icons acting like progress bars). The only question is whether you will see the numbers after hoovering over them or not.

Those icons are growing on me. Now to figure out at what point I should start to think about subbing my players based on the status of the icon. 

2 minutes ago, Icy said:

Just load a single nation like Spain, chose a top team like Real Madrid or Barcelona, holidays for a whole season and you will unlock it for free as the requirement is related to having a top player or something that I can't remember right now but that it's easy with a top team just holidaying.

Thanks. I will give that a try. As I normally play lower league I've never unlocked it before. Also, I never actually checked the requirements. 

Edited by DementedHammer

hace 1 minuto, DementedHammer dijo:

Thanks. I will give that a try. As I normally play lower league I've never unlocked it before. 

Me too, but I just do that, go for a coffee and have it unlocked along with other unlockables related to it's performance as well.

Stupid that we need to go through that and also is the part that I don't like from the FM Touch interface, as there are mentions about unlockables in several screens, like when you have an injured player and you see there the "use magic sponge" or something like that, that breaks the immersion for me.

I don't know how much is SI earning from these, but if it's not substantial I would remove them at least from the PC version as these micropayments are more usual in mobile games.

6 минут назад, ferrarinseb сказал:

I really don't know why the pitches are changed that every one almost like turf of plastic covered by grass. 

little by little preparing us for purple field :D I have no idea too, seriously. I tried to pay attention before and some members tried to convince me I'm wrong :idiot:

First of a few feature announcements, so I'm not going to get too excited or too downhearted just yet. That being said, if these are 'headline features' then I think we are seeing the consequence of Covid's impact on SI game development because these don't look headline-worthy to me.

The new interaction stuff is essentially a rehash - body language rather than tone - fine if you enjoy that kind of thing; I find it quite tedious in parts and leave all PCs to my Assistant Manager. Player interaction though I think is fairly interesting, but I hope we don't discover that 'open arm' responses every time proves 90% successful or something...I think quick informal chats is a good addition though, a helpful way to try and turn some morale in the right direction - this is realistic in any case as managers and players chat all the time.

Again, tactical insight looks somewhat rehashed based on the screenshots, but some more one-line feedback from backroom staff is helpful for those who don't want to delve too deep into the data provided (like me).

Intrigued to see what the improvements are to the ME based on that short piece on 'graphic improvements to models and animations' - didn't see anything groundbreaking in those short highlights but it's still in early build I'm sure. Graphically it does look poor compared to older versions. I know the game engine has changed but the pitch really does look poor compared to years previous.

Post-match stuff - is this really a new feature? It's just moved the social media/news media reactions right to the end of the game - xG is interesting insight but will have to see how helpful it proves to be.

Recruitment - looks like a more polished version of what was in FM20 with some more options, which is good news. I like this aspect of the game so look forward to seeing more.

Season review - not something I'll be paying attention to, and in previous versions I feel the game erroneously chooses best and worst moments. This is a polished version of what we already have with some additional clicks - there is already an end-of-season item in the inbox which highlights fans favourite player, top scorer.etc - is it just going to be this in a more graphically presented form?

Overall it's OK but the nagging feeling I have is how many more new features can SI add in to future games? We're seeing more tweaks than additions and I know the circumstances surrounding the mess that is year 2020 has been a contributing factor, but there must come a point where FM hits a wall for ideas! I hope not.

For me, the FM2020 ME was so poor and I just couldn't get into the game at all. If there are some videos of game footage with the SI team playing like last year I look forward to watching that to see what differences we encounter - if this improves and it's just minor updates to other areas then a happy man I'll be.

Look forward to seeing more updates.

Edited by Kingstontom88

8 minuti fa, Kingstontom88 ha scritto:

Overall it's OK but the nagging feeling I have is how many more new features can SI add in to future games? We're seeing more tweaks than additions and I know the circumstances surrounding the mess that is year 2020 has been a contributing factor, but there must come a point where FM hits a wall for ideas! I hope not.

There are a lot of better potential headline features. 

At this rate the question "how many more features can SI add in ti future games?" will make sense in 50 years

12 hours ago, noikeee said:

SI can't win. They need to add new things to be able to sell the game otherwise people will say, "this has nothing new, I won't buy it". And it has to be *visible* things, no matter how much we want a more intelligent ME or squad building AI, you can't show those things in feature videos, they aren't easily tangible. 

On the other hand when people start playing for more than a little while.. I don't think it's a minority or a fringe view that there's just way too many things in the game now. People want different things when they go to buy the game (exciting visible things!), to when they're actually playing it after a decent amount of time to get used to the game (they want to have fun, whatever "fun" is)

There must be something fundamentaly wrong with SI strucutre.  Is it their research, unwillingles to make a change, or pure desire to milk money... Ofcourse visible changes are the first things that most players will notice, but not be emphasy in a simulation game. Crusader kings2 started in 2012 for example and until 2018 they made DLC that changed the core gameplay that people loved. There is nothing wrong in focusing under the hood and having that as improved features. You still could give in some UI updates, just even one of them that where shown this video.

Wanted to point something about the interaction that SI can never fully do. As we have real players and clubs they cant bring in variablity that could make media and player interaction more fun, exiting and game changing. It could bring so much to the table but and have real meaning for all these interactions, but real life legal offense could happpen unfortunatly. Just think if they could unleash more interaction between clubs, that start hating or blocking each other, clubs who will have better relationship and share better deals. Players who have life events happening or some personality things that flip them either directions. Dense talks behind the scene with player agents etc. It happens in real life and something that must be dealt with, but we will never see it that fully integrated.

Talking about visual quality. Cant they see that their 3d view is plastic and bad. How can they belive adding small feature like confety while winning something is people wish? There so much things they could improve and designe more variety in stadiums.

I see points made here to defend SI as they are trying and this year has been hard on everyone. Many things people point out is without diehard proof, but we all stil see the evolution of FM has been going downhill. This thing has been going on for YEARS and how such core feature like 3d view and stadiums can stay in so low graphical fidelity. Not adding more stadiums in is the most paffling thing for me, it is not attached to ME, it is visual and make variate there could be easily done. Have interns, buy in some desingers for some time, let fans give input with some mod support etc.
In the end we will end up the fact they want to support 12 years old CPU/GPUs, if they make add more lines and complexity, update and more animation to ME, something must give, because it is not feasible to build on something so low requirments.

Also we have to remind that evey year they sell record amount. FM 19 sold over two million copies and FM20 broke that record as I remember. Dont forget that this is game is released every year. There are so many great games that have hard to achive 2mil copies mark. + SI have deals with MS and Epic that definetly gave more steady money flow even if they gave out game for free.
They are not small company and should be pushing some standards higher.