Football Manager 2021 - New Headline Features

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Huey Lewis said:

Ah yes, it makes perfect sense to declare a dodgy mod which makes players run faster than should feasibly possible is already confirmed as a better match engine we've all seen about ten seconds of. My hats off to you sir.

SI shouldn't bother releasing a new ME, just plug and play a dodgy mod in instead :thup: 

You are taking words out of my mouth. I never said any of this. 

On the other hand, did I say hundreds of thousand have already downloaded it, and the feedback is 97-99% positive. (if I where to estimate some numbers.) 

I would rather have SI focusing on a new engine, and let moders do the (hard) work on the current one, if allowed in FM21. We can change the physics, and we can change the animations too. But only if allowed. And moders are well aware of how hard it is to balance it.

9 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

@Rullom - we know very, very little about the FM21 ME - that was the point. Your comments seem to refer to the FM20 ME and that isn't what is being discussed here.

Fair enough. Do you believe it will change? Personally I don't, but I guess we will have to wait and see before discussing it.

Edited by Rullom

5 minutes ago, Nikopol said:

I'm actually in the boat of people that would love graphical improvements. Seeing the players on the pitch, their movements and looks being clearly identifiable would increase my connection and investment to my squad immensely. It could also help us in assessing player performances and strengths. So while i definitely disagree with the negativity around here, i would be really, really excited if SI dared to make the great leap forward in terms of graphics. While some may be left behind or rather forced to invest into new hardware, a higher graphical fidelity would also increase marketability.

I think especially in FM20, it was a situation where the weaknesses of the match engine kind of tied in with the weaknesses of the animations. Where did goals come from? Set pieces, blooters, pinpoint long balls, crosses. Where didn't goals come from? Intricate final third passing play, beating defenders with skill, anything with physical holdup play. So you watch enough of it, and it all looks the same, and it feels like things are missing, and eventually you get trained to think of dangerous situations as only situations that are dangerous in the video game. And I'm sure that psychologically, watching games on "highlights" has an impact because it's not a natural way to watch a match.

I think passing plays, "team moves," triangles, defensive positioning must be very hard to balance. I know I remember match engines where I made my Blyth Spartans look like Barcelona without really doing anything, probably just because of the state of AI defending. But the other stuff that you don't see enough, I'm not sure if it even needs to look pretty, it just needs to be there every once in a while.

I never played the Korean match engine "patch" but I can imagine how just messing with speed parameters or whatever they did could have accidentally created more scenarios for animations to proc that actually are in the game, could have been in the game for 8 years for all I know, but don't get used too often.

2 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

I'm pretty sure SI have said before that there's a significant percentage of the people who play FM games, even FM20, on Intel integrated graphics - at that point, it's either catering to a major part of your audience, or telling them that they don't get to play without buying a new laptop.

I made this mistake when buying my laptop last year, it’s an i7 intel 10th gen but iris plus graphics yeah I definitely made a mistake on that! But the smoothness is great nevertheless still even if only 1 star for graphics 

Something I also hope to see in the new Match Engine is added types of dribbles and functioning creative ways to score. Put like 3 different types of dribbles into the game (I'm talking like an elastico, zidane move, ...) and the Match Engine will already visually look more pleasing. But as someone wrote above it might be hard to code such 3d textures into 2d objects.

What concerns the creative ways to score - I think I've seen a total of two overhead kicks, one rounding of the keeper and zero lobs in my own 1500 hour+ playtime of FM20 since the start of corona. To the point I deliberately taught those traits to multiple players on my team in one save and still never saw one in action.

These changes could already go a long way of making the match engine more visually pleasing.

I'm hoping for a video on the Match Engine soon... Because the current shown features and the reaction of the developers in the latest threads (as by habit of years) are very discouraging. I even let out a sigh of disbelief seeing one of the only posts a developer reacts to being one to reference they do not tolerate/like abuse against their team. Obviously you do not, that's why you should just let the moderators of this forum delete comments that are specifically abusive. Interact with the other comments instead - or don't interact at all.

The entire point against abuse is completely correct - but at the sametime somewhat hypocrite. In some way or another the consumers complaining here are held hostage themselves. That's why we see abuse occuring. Unfortunately we've been requesting fixes and updates to core elements for years without having much improvement. All to be told by others we should just not buy the next version. The next version of a game, the only one of its kind. The game we're all addicted to - even the ones not complaining. There is no choice. Even if we could get 100.000 people to not buy the game, SI would have enough revenue as a business and continue along their path, leaving us with a never ending sour taste in our mouth.

Luckily there's always a semi-bright light at the end of the tunnel. If most things turn out poor again, 100.000's of people will start using mods again that improve overall gameplay. From better looking pitches to 'particular changes to files'.

On 15/10/2020 at 20:15, Lexis said:

- Speech mentality (aggresive ,passionate, etc) switched to the new terms. Some new dialog options written for them. Probably the same mechanics as before, once you figure out the best reactions you just go with that 95% of time.

- Backroom advice presented under another GUI.

- Useless Twitter reactions after matches that no one really cares about.

- Scouting requirements presented under different names.

- Different celebration at end of the season.

It is beyond me how these are presented as the main features of a new installment while asking for full retail price.

At least match engine looks better

"FM21's new additions and game upgrades put all of the focus on you, delivering new levels of depths and drama through improvements to these key areas:"

To call this an overstatement would be putting it mildly, given these all are areas no one cares about and people just click through once they found what works and what doesn't.

Interesting to see I've got double amount of upvotes to this post as opposed to OP. It does look like there's a lot of people thinking you are putting lipstick on a pig and selling it for full retail price.

1 hour ago, Rullom said:

Since SI have a habit of deleting post, saying the name of this mod or just mention it, am I not going to say more then that. Their house, their rules.

once again we deprive ourselves of a good ideas, watch the PES community what they do thanks to the mods it's just incredible, we must give more resources to the modder ,

Trust Me one day there will appear a https://twitter.com/Durandil67?s=09 for Football manager

I mean, I think most people with bad feedback (such as me) are trying to say "Please SI, if you dont fix any known previous bug on ME, which is the most important part of the game, don't waste resources on other areas."

If they cant fix ME bugs, they should hire more devs/testers for that or decrease the number of employees on another areas and increase on ME area.

32 minutes ago, Rullom said:

But people are not toxic, this is their opinions about the new features.

Oh, yes they are. It's OK to state your opinion and criticism about the game that isn't out yet, but you can do that with respect. There were a few guys here calling the game pathetic, a joke, presenting SI like some evil company that cares only about money etc... that's toxic and all I see is bunch of kids overreacting. If they are grown men then that is sad.

12 minutes ago, thiagoanjo said:

I mean, I think most people with bad feedback (such as me) are trying to say "Please SI, if you dont fix any known previous bug on ME, which is the most important part of the game, don't waste resources on other areas."

If they cant fix ME bugs, they should hire more devs/testers for that or decrease the number of employees on another areas and increase on ME area.

But who said that they didn’t?

2 minutos atrás, Mars_Blackmon disse:

But who said that they didn’t?

95% of bugs I reported werent fixed until this moment.
Same with other bugs you can see reported on forum.

So, or they didnt do it or clearly wasnt enough, this is not easily understandable for you?

3 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

I reported loads of bugs in FM20. None of them were fixed, it doesn't fill me with much confidence.

What does that mean? Did you provide the correct info, saves did you follow up? I personally had plenty of bugs and errors fixed. Trust me I have my own gripes with SI especially as a MLS and international manager player. 

I am not going to judge a game before I even play it. But my 2 cents, since there are not that many new additions like the previous FM's had I thinks this means they spent more time polishing and fine tuning the game and ME

2 minutos atrás, Mars_Blackmon disse:

What does that mean? Did you provide the correct info, saves did you follow up? I personally had plenty of bugs and errors fixed. Trust me I have my own gripes with SI especially as a MLS and international manager player. 

I did and you can check it out right now

3 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

Yes I did.

3 hours ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

Evolution of the games visuals. All 1920x1080 images taken from gameplay and not Youtube.

2020 is a 1440p image on max settings, the second 2020 image is 1440p Very Low settings.

Great work! Thanks!

So, it started in FM 2018 - they just removed a couple of texture layers from the pitch. It was made to optimize the game performance obviously, but aren't 3 years enough to find another solution and get old cool pitches back?

6 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

Ok. And based on a 5 minute video with barely any gameplay you guys came to the conclusion that nothing is fixed?

No, I did not say that. I said, based on my experience from FM20, that it doesn't fill me with confidence.

Edited by Tiger666

7 minutes ago, Exius said:

Great work! Thanks!

So, it started in FM 2018 - they just removed a couple of texture layers from the pitch. It was made to optimize the game performance obviously, but aren't 3 years enough to find another solution and get old cool pitches back?

Texture pack - Can be a solution but they have to let ppl explore me Files or engine 

12 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

Ok. And based on a 5 minute video with barely any gameplay you guys came to the conclusion that nothing is fixed?

When the 5 min video claims that what is shown are the main "headline" features it's quite clear what the priorities are. If you did major work to overhaul the gameplay wouldn't you be proud to show it off right away?

1 minute ago, destmez said:

Texture pack - Can be a solution but they have to let ppl explore me Files or engine 

There are a lot of pitch texture packs but they can't solve this problem entirely. As I said - it seems that some texture layers are now missing and packs have nothing to do with it.

2 minutes ago, Exius said:

There are a lot of pitch texture packs but they can't solve this problem entirely. As I said - it seems that some texture layers are now missing and packs have nothing to do with it.

the "pack" is to use a system similar to Minecraft (

You download a file you put him in a folder you load it and the texture in the game change , like WE actually do with logo pictures kits etc...but now is for ME

At this point I can roll with lack of new major features, I just want balanced ME, that doesn't frustrate the hell out of me. On FM 20 I feel like I'm playing a random events generator rather than tactic creating game, cause team does anything but what tactic supposes to do, and I'm no rookie in the game.

So if FM 21 gives that to me and I can finally see a result of my choices instead of bugged dice rolling, I'll be happy and forget 20 like a very bad dream. 

2 hours ago, PassIntoSpace said:

Ok this is going to sound harsh but please hear me out..

These new reskin "headline" features are a slap to the face to your fanbase. 

The audacity to claim these as an improvement is absolutely disgraceful. The constant excuses are so obvious, "oh it's because everyone still runs core 2 duos from 2004 so we have to support them", "oh it's not the final version mate, wait a bit longer", "oh we do listen to feedback, and this is what people want", "oh it's because corona", "oh just wait for another video to showcase 'new' stuff", "oh the winter patch will fix this issue". I could go on and on.  

If you're not ready to release an actually improved product then skip a year or two and do something like a normal database update, I'd much rather support that. What you are doing is calling these as an improvement but what you've done is repackage things slightly and called it new and great and charge full price. 

Where are actual showcases like:  transfers have been fixed? Better interaction with the board and players (not reskin aggressive to throw bottle, couldn't even change the dialogue or add new options)? When will you fix the set piece set ups that constantly rearrange your positions or miss players completely? Fix absurd stadiums, plastic grass? Fix animations to look human? Give options to difficulty? Rework the interface to avoid excessive clicks, modernize the ui? Make regen faces look half human? Fix actual me issues like, lack of central play, creativity, marking, op gegen pressing, rework stamina to mean mething? Make teams play differently? Rework CA/PA? Stop pretending the 3d engine looks amazing when ps2 graphics can look better and your own work from 2011 does too?  

When one dude can make improvements to the physics file and make the game actually somewhat playble something is wrong and you need to step up and put in some work.  

If you need a new engine then so be it, but don't try to pretend to fix or improve things on this platform if it longer works. It's very obvious at this point.  You say you need constructive criticism and you're afraid to show your new devs to this forum, this is what it looks like uncensored and you need to hear it. Until you make actual improvements and show them properly if they do exist I will no longer buy your games.   

Harsh but fair. You just nailed it! Couldn't said better myself!

I think you just explained why I stopped playing every FM iteration - I agree with every single word you have written.

Stagnation is a natural process for any such long game series as FM, I'm afraid. And it's aggravated by the lack of competition in this market. 

4 minutes ago, Pav_Makarov said:

At this point I can roll with lack of new major features, I just want balanced ME, that doesn't frustrate the hell out of me. On FM 20 I feel like I'm playing a random events generator rather than tactic creating game, cause team does anything but what tactic supposes to do, and I'm no rookie in the game.

So if FM 21 gives that to me and I can finally see a result of my choices instead of bugged dice rolling, I'll be happy and forget 20 like a very bad dream. 

Yes this pretty much sums up what put the nail in the coffin for me.

31 minutes ago, PassIntoSpace said:

When the 5 min video claims that what is shown are the main "headline" features it's quite clear what the priorities are. If you did major work to overhaul the gameplay wouldn't you be proud to show it off right away?

No one said there were any major work and overhauls being done to the ME. However, they did mention tweaks in the video.

“ME tweaks” isn’t exciting to anyone outside of the forums and maybe YouTube...

5 hours ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

To some of their fans, graphics don’t really matter compared to the other games. Some people just don’t buy FM for the graphics.

im not against graphics but i didn’t start playing FM for graphics. I enjoyed W11/PES & FIFA and wanted more depth.

To be clear, I don't care about the graphics in FM that much. There are plenty of other, more substantive improvements I'd like to see. But I do think some of the defense of how they churn out and market their games comes from a place where people aren't familiar with the rest of the videogame industry.

10 minutes ago, Double Indemnity said:

To be clear, I don't care about the graphics in FM that much. There are plenty of other, more substantive improvements I'd like to see. But I do think some of the defense of how they churn out and market their games comes from a place where people aren't familiar with the rest of the videogame industry.

If is not graphics , is animations if its not animations its AI , we dont Ask FIFA WE Ask something better than Dream Soccer League (mobile game) in term off animations 

Football Manager💜 #RTXonFM 💚Nividia

I've already been very critical on this thread but one thing I think is a valid excuse for an underwhelming listing of features, is Covid. I mean just all the crazy rescheduling of fixtures that's gotta be in-game, must've been a nightmare to code that must've taken a lot of man hours, specially with all the uncertainty around the footballing world the last few months.

Add to it the stress the development team must've been under, as we all were, as our working circumstances continously changed, whilst trying to avoid catching a deadly disease and passing it to our families.. Yeah no wonder it was hard to get everything that was originally planned into the new game. 

The long term worries about the direction FM is taking is independent from Covid, however, and not specific to this new version. 

I've very old laptop and still can enjoy games such as Factorio and niche wargames still published in 2020.  At some point I've realized I don't need better hardware but better games. For FM most important thing for me will it run smooth in 2d graphics (It was smooth in FM 2020)  and the match engine about how goals scored. Looking forward more Dev diaries.

Edited by baris28

6 hours ago, Jack Joyce said:

Just for clarity's sake here to avoid potential misinformation - neutral cup finals are exactly that, neutral. You are not at a disadvantage as the 'away' team. There was a bug identified and fixed but that was at least a year ago now, and it was fixed fairly quickly. 

Please do bear in mind we do not ignore bug reports. Every single thread has coverage and we may not always have time to respond to every individual post, since the people replying are all devs who have other responsibilities and are very busy! We try to respond to as much as we can but we also need to dedicate time to work on the game too.

Why is it then, that when I'm playing a European Cup Final, in Russia, I'm seeing graphics specifically pertaining to my opponents home ground. Is this a bug that has been fixed fairly quickly as well? Your response doesn't really add up, and my initial observation is not potential misinformation, I'm observing what I see in front of me