Football Manager 2020 January & February Transfer Updates Feedback Thread

Is 2040 the latest ME for everyone else?

After revisiting old threads and did some googling, it was the 20.2.4 patch with ME version 2039 (February 5th) that supposed to improve the original released ME.

I thought since then there hasn't been an ME update? Then why is it 2040 version now?

Anybody can clear this up for me?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 13/03/2020 at 06:51, Toonrock said:

:

- The whole gameplay experience (Graphics, menus and generel look). Next to

On 14/03/2020 at 10:45, harrycarrie said:

This ME plays some beautiful football at times. Some gash too. Loved this goal with nice interplay from James, Ighalo and Lingard:

Tactic:

2d509a64adf3737b3c3219ae9cb2768c.png

Why wouldnt he shoot before passing? And look at the Norwich defender stop and move towards the corner flag instead of man marking the goalscorer. Sorry couldnt help but notice. Ugh :(

Things should be looked at next Version:

1) Players ability to pass the ball with their weakerfoot. It just feels too easy for them to use both feet even though one is their weakerfoot.  (e.g: RCB can pass with left foot easily, LB can cross perfectly with Right foot despite their Opposite foot is Weaker foot).

2) The Technical ability of Player should dictate the pass ability right now every team with Back 4 or 5 in Defensive / Very Defensive Mentalities can out pass the entire team and Pressing them makes no difference. 

3) Feels that game prefers Tackling than Pressing the player with the ball.

4) The Players just doesn't turn enough and most of time they recieve the ball with their backs on to Goal. 

Overall FM 20 is Ok. I hope Pressing can be improved because right now if AI goes too defensive no matter what kind of Press(split block/ Max Press) we do it just feels that AI can keep the ball between the defenders which i believe can open up more of the game potential. 

2 hours ago, h3nrique_SEP said:

Does the FM Touch ME is different from the base game? Look at the results of the 1st PL game playing in FM 2020 Touch, much more goals...

2.PNG

Capturar.PNG

Interesting. I'm currently playing in the Swiss League and most games seem to be a goal either way. Though the games just after the winter break were higher scoring. Looked at EPL and. yes, there were quite a few games with >4 goals including Palace beating Southampton 5-0 - looked at the goals and predictably 4 of them were headers. The Zaha goal was a quite nice open-play cut inside and shoot goal, though. The other high scoring game in the most recent set of games was Villa 2 Watford 4 - 2 DFKs, 2 full pitch dribble wonder goals, 1 GK palm out mistake, 1 winger to winger cross and volley.

Looking back through the season and margins in the EPL definitely seem to be bigger - teams can score goals, how they do it may be another matter.

Edited by rp1966

This is the best ME ever. 

Until the finishing. 

Brief final general consideration about this year FM. 

Even if I'll write more - than +, I strongly think that this is the most addictive game (well that's is not always a positive thing :D ) and at the price he has (even at full price) it's a very gift for the amount of hours it give us (even despite the bugs). I for first demand always more, but it's a game, at a game price and not a professional software at pro price. 

1) ME: 

as I said I like this year ME in the action, not so much in the goal scored. 

Even if a more central - play would be welcome, I find that there is an acceptable balance: I like the the team-play as the solo effort. 
I like the dribble-lover players so I'm very happy to see messi-like play (while in FM19 I think I never see a player past more the 1 player), but at the same time there are some beautiful team-play even if I would like to see a more central play against weak team if you have technically gifted player. 

My main issue is the type of goal. 

free/corner kicks, like many say, maybe there are too many. I don't care about fk, in fact I never use a training spot for them (cause I don't like make goals with fk) and despite that I have good results (and my board are happy with that).

header. I have all my wide player (defenders and am ) with less cross. and team player with low cross. despite that I score too much with header. 
Taking CR7 as example: he is maybe best with header than with feet, despite that he score more with feet. 'cause it's easier shot and scot with feet. In fact I think we can count in a hand or two the players in history who can score a great number of header goals (I remember Klose, Bierohff, Kocsis).  That's bring to have full/wing back to have the most assist in the season.  

Instead in the ME seems to be easier score header than with feet. 

That open another reflection about Attributes in the ME: finishing/composure seem too underpowered. I know that that are not the only important stats for a striker. But when researchers compile players' card that are (rightly) the most important attributes for a great finisher. So at the starting we have the most deadly strikers with very good value in finishing/composure. I think Aubameyang it's the worst with 17/14. While then in the game you will find best scorer in the best leagues with 15 or even less (11 o 7 I find) (of course there are also with 19)

2) Long-term game: players

As I said, this game is addictive, but there are some issues mostly when you playing in the poor nations. 

Youth development is my favorite aspect. well, it would be my favorite if....

I primise that I think there should not be PA at all, I find totally irrealistic. Even if there be a sort of PA in real life, we, as person in general, don't know it and so PA should have the same value that think there is a God who decide what club win the Premier. Even if there is a God, we don't know it. And in we I put in also pro-scout. Pro-scout don't know PA in real even if there was a PA. In the game scout know PA (well, they know a sort of range of it, but the point is the same), and that is a thing I like even less the PA itself. Example: if we gave to pro-scout 2 perfect identically (ten/mentally/phys/personality) players' cards, but one with 100PA and the other wit 200PA the real life scout cannot tell you who will become better. While the in.game scout yes. 

Premise that. (oh sorry for the long premise). 

Development a good young national players in poor nation it is impossible. 
Now, it's true that we cannot make a comparison with real life situation, cause in real life the clubs with enough money to development a good youth system are in the main leagues and that probably to make grow clubs from poor nation it will be harder that in game, but that's a game and as a game the task to make very good a small club it's easier, also development a good youth system should follow the club path (with the right phase difference). 

I made my example. 

I played in Hungary, now I'm in 2048. I don't remember the exact time, but in the last 10 years in game the Hungarian league is been in 7 position in European charts (behind the England, Italy, Germany, Spain, Holland). As team, Soroksar (in 33 position in Europe) I have the best structure in the world (in the last 2 years all 20, but obviously always very good in the last 10y). 
in the 43/44 I (well my U19 manager) won the Youth Champions League (and finalist in 45/46) (playing it in full details). 

Despite that Hungarian player are always poor and with a little different from the starting (keep in mind all the change in reputation through the time) 
Now, there is a player with 161 CA,  2 in the 145-149 range then 6 in 130-138 range and 15  in 120-129. 

At starting. 1 144, 3 in 130-138 and 5 in 120-129. 

So in 30 years the grow is poor compared to the grow of clubs and league. The real difference is only in the 120-129 range, 'cause in the other the difference are to little that could be a lucky income. 

Obviously I don't ask for the number of the best leagues. But having the best structure in the world should not only guarantee more luck in income but also a sort of 'base', 'cause at now, even if I like to have the best structure, they are pointless 'cause most of the time my Head of Youth told me that there isn't a valuable player.

3) Long-term games: Football World around us. 

Well, that is again a great missing in the FM. Even if at starting you don't notice that 'cause the world of the game is quite the same the real one, once you are in future you starting to missing it, 'cause a part of your players, the other seem to you like general name without charm.

4) Long-term games: Leagues' money. 

I don't know if something is it changed with the last past, but with a past patch I remember the money prize in the league starting to grow, while in the last in-game year they stabilizing downward. 

Now the winner gain 1,25 millions that is too low for a League ranked 7. 

And the same for sponsor. After winning 5 title, I get under 10 millions per annum. (oh well not that I need that money, cause I have very young team and I get at least 100milions every year selling players)

5) Transfers. 

Very good job at it. I think that is the most lively market sim we have had.  That is something more to do about team building, about loss/gain in amortization and above all (but that is linked to PA) player hidden stats are most important than games rating: example I have a GK who won the best GK of the tournament*, he was young (21y), I want sell him, nobody want him. I terminate the contract, he we to a obscure 3 division team before retiring a 24.

That is the same for humans, as myself I very few look at the games rating, but only at my scout report.
(little funny thing: my GK always won best GK of the league. maybe it's 'cause  I playing attacking football with a very poor defensive system I don't know)

6) National Team. 

Need an huge upgrade

7) Manager. 

Ok, that Is another miss. 

It's seems that Manager's CA is pointless and that all is due to the style/tactics he use. While, I know that seem strange to said that, but there are most important attributes, otherwise in real life all Manager will use the same. (e.g. Tactical K should be very important, cause is should be use to determinate to obtain the best role for player in line with tactical system)

and a bug about Manager and long-term game: in the less important league (I think all a part the first 5-6 ) in league in view-only or not selected at all, after the first manager retiring, nobody else were hired. (eg. I have all the Russian team without managers)

That's all I think

3 hours ago, FlorianAlbert9 said:

I like this year ME in the action, not so much in the goal scored. 

Even if a more central - play would be welcome, I find that there is an acceptable balance: I like the the team-play as the solo effort. 
I like the dribble-lover players so I'm very happy to see messi-like play (while in FM19 I think I never see a player past more the 1 player), but at the same time there are some beautiful team-play even if I would like to see a more central play against weak team if you have technically gifted player. 

My main issue is the type of goal. 

free/corner kicks, like many say, maybe there are too many. I don't care about fk, in fact I never use a training spot for them (cause I don't like make goals with fk) and despite that I have good results (and my board are happy with that).

header. I have all my wide player (defenders and am ) with less cross. and team player with low cross. despite that I score too much with header. 
Taking CR7 as example: he is maybe best with header than with feet, despite that he score more with feet. 'cause it's easier shot and scot with feet. In fact I think we can count in a hand or two the players in history who can score a great number of header goals (I remember Klose, Bierohff, Kocsis).  That's bring to have full/wing back to have the most assist in the season.  

Instead in the ME seems to be easier score header than with feet. 

That open another reflection about Attributes in the ME: finishing/composure seem too underpowered. I know that that are not the only important stats for a striker. But when researchers compile players' card that are (rightly) the most important attributes for a great finisher. So at the starting we have the most deadly strikers with very good value in finishing/composure. I think Aubameyang it's the worst with 17/14. While then in the game you will find best scorer in the best leagues with 15 or even less (11 o 7 I find) (of course there are also with 19)

I agree with you, for me, the biggest problem with the actual ME is the lack of goals from open play and the amout of games that end in 0-0, 1-0, i don't know if it's the case IRL, but take Atalanta for example, they scored 70 goals in 25 games (2,7 per game) and conceeded 34 (1.4 per game). I don't know, i might be just bad at the game, but since the 20.3 ME i've been trying to make an attacking team like Gasparini did, but i never get it and just got frustated when i ses my team winning by 1-0, 2-0, when my clear intention (tactics and training) is to have a "goalmachine" no matter how much i would conceed.

Matches like this are the worst:

Passes.png

Sevilla won the game 1-0.

Playing on a Positive mentality with More Direct Passing and Higher Tempo (using a 4-4-1-1 with two DMs - far from a super tactic), Sevilla destroyed Getafe. 2 of those 3 CCCs within the first five minutes, hit the woodwork several times, squandered one on one opportunities... and the only goal coming from a set-piece.

Meanwhile, look at those passing statistics! At one point I was playing 25% of the ball. At home. To a relegation team basically playing anti-football. 

Know what my ass man recommended I say to the players after the game? That their performance was disappointing. Because we didn't win the game 7-0 like we could have done.

I don't demand big wins, but it'd be nice to get one or two a season if my team is a) really good and b) playing really well.  

(And before someone says it: yes, I know this happens in real life. It happens more frequently FM, with broken passing stats to boot)

Edited by JEinchy

Anyone else struggling with increased frequency in penalties? I have given away 10 penalties this season by January and have given away 4 pens in a row now. I have had 2 pens in the same time frame.

Also animation for pens is very very bad, either you clearly take the ball and its a pen or there's no contact at all and it's still a pen.

On 14/03/2020 at 20:55, rp1966 said:

The Scotland thing is ludicrous (Celtic in my save) and needs testing by someone with the editor by swapping out to low attribute players. Is it the teams' reputation driving those overpowered results for Scottish teams, or is it the players that have overpowered attributes due to being over-rated by the researcher and uncorrected by SI in relation to other players in the database? 

If it's reputation driving results in the ME. what are we actually doing by changing players and tactics? Reputation shouldn't affect results; only things like recruitment and sponsorship- it's a measure of past performance; not the team's current ability on the pitch (see Man Utd for details).

I think a large part of a team doing well is based around momentum. Like, string together 5 wins in a row and you become almost unbeatable. When it comes to Scottish teams I think we encounter an issue where because the Glasgow teams - in particularly Celtic - are head and shoulders above the rest of the division quality wise they find it very easy to win almost every game, resulting in them taking massive momentum through to their European matches. I don't think this will usually be enough to see them past any of the really big European teams in the knockout stages, but it'll probably help them out a lot in the group stages when it comes to playing teams who are better than them but not by as much.

On 12/03/2020 at 14:40, Zemahh said:

Yet here I have three bang average strikers with 49 goals between them.

AjlO2mo.png

Formation?

Wonder if that's relevant here - I'm using a lone striker with two IFs still; worked well during public beta, and even in original versions (clear cut chance conversion rate aside). Now? Not so much 

On 12/03/2020 at 16:25, sporadicsmiles said:

A lot of people may tell you that their performance suffered after the patch. This was not due to the patch, which did not change the ME at all.

Ok, just telling you what I'm seeing from the public-beta to 20.4 

47 minutes ago, duff33 said:

Ok, just telling you what I'm seeing from the public-beta to 20.4 

Why was the public beta ME not used now? To save it for FM21, so "improvements" will be made for it then?

For the love of God SI, could you please look at English/British domination in Europe? There are some of us that play this game who aren't British and a total domination of European continental competitions by English clubs is not desirable. 

Champions League

Screenshot 2020-03-16 at 21.20.49.png

Europa League

Screenshot 2020-03-16 at 21.21.01.png

Euro Cup II

Screenshot 2020-03-16 at 21.21.12.png

Edited by Travis Bickle

Imo this Version of the ME is much improved and the Players do not look like they do dumb things very intentionally but make Errors out of the flow of the game.

Goals come from a Variety of situations albeit Crosses most contribute but this only is reaonable for my tactic/strategy that 3/5 of of my Team come from Crosses (and a wide Variety of them that is not boring) and 2/5 come from passes/through balls when looking especially for this specific equation leaving everything else out.

The Team often tries to Play out of the Defence like i told them and no longer hurls the ball away in every Situation sometimes beign a little too insensitive to the risks but thats fully ok.

Attacks through the Center are hard to succeed as it should but if they have wonderfull Ball Action involved and create great chances that are no more automatically denied.

At all the Teams seem to understand much better what it should do when and if.

Have not seen a single backheel stop possesion loss which either means they no more happen or maybe i do not get to see them.

So to me, aside of some very unfortunate side-effects in other Areas of the game, this is a much better and more enjoyable game now in which cause and effect makes sense and the enjoyment is appreciated.

On a side note: SI did a good Job on the grassroot Flair of the lower leagues building some wonderful lower league Stadiums going even so far to include a limited FOV Simulation (see pic). :D

Llflairlimitedfov.png

Edited by Etebaer

34 minutes ago, TheInvisibleMan said:

Recent England game on my save and Trent Alexander-Arnold scored a hat trick, with Ben Chilwell scoring the other goal :lol:

Can't tell me there isn't glaring issues with this match engine :(

Screenshot 2020-03-17 at 10.11.26.png

How many has Trent scored for the season and not a one off game? On FM2008 I had Michael Dawson score 4 goals one game, he didn't score for me again. 

On 15/03/2020 at 23:54, JEinchy said:

Matches like this are the worst:

Passes.png

Sevilla won the game 1-0.

Playing on a Positive mentality with More Direct Passing and Higher Tempo (using a 4-4-1-1 with two DMs - far from a super tactic), Sevilla destroyed Getafe. 2 of those 3 CCCs within the first five minutes, hit the woodwork several times, squandered one on one opportunities... and the only goal coming from a set-piece.

Meanwhile, look at those passing statistics! At one point I was playing 25% of the ball. At home. To a relegation team basically playing anti-football. 

Know what my ass man recommended I say to the players after the game? That their performance was disappointing. Because we didn't win the game 7-0 like we could have done.

I don't demand big wins, but it'd be nice to get one or two a season if my team is a) really good and b) playing really well.  

(And before someone says it: yes, I know this happens in real life. It happens more frequently FM, with broken passing stats to boot)

Thing is, those possession statisitcs absolutely do not happen in real life - teams that don't want the ball, tend not to get it. Absolutely huge issue with the ME in both FM19 and FM20 is the ease and margin by which overtly defensive teams win the possession battle. Badly needs rectifying for FM21 if it's to be in any way a better product than what we have now.

Edited by fidelitywars
typo

Can someone explain what has happened to Florian Thauvin since I signed him in my Man Utd save (Season 1)?

Pre-season of the 19-20 season, Thauvin plays two friendlies for Marseille and comes through unscathed. I agree a fee and tie up the contract with his agent for the transfer to go ahead.

Prior to signing on the dotted line, my head physio (Richie Merron - Phy 20) indictes the player is "a clean bill of health and has no immediate injury concerns".

However, a few friendlies gone by of my own and I'm wondering when Thauvin returns from holiday. To my surprise he is not on holiday at all and the red icon next to his name says he is 'unavailable' due to an undisclosed injury and won't be available until 15th February 2020!

What?! I've had nothing to say Thauvin got injured or had an injury and there is nothing listed in his injury history. I believe Thauvin is injured in real life, but surely this is a bug? He should never have passed medical if this existed then. Anyone else had similar?

Thauvin.jpg

Have to agree, @OhLawd!

44 minutes ago, OhLawd said:

their only advice will be to buy FM21.

"FM21, with an all new and much improved ME now out! One of the best ME ever created, with lots of new features!" before everything is the same and even worse they they are already.

Just think SI are holding back the ME from the public demo for FM21, so they can just saved it instead continuously trying to improve it now and in the future.

Well I've been watching 30 years of football whether this is English game or not next game should have better ratio of goals. I don't care about difficulties. I hope for better game in 2021 period.. I'll try the demo this time first rather than pre purchase in next version.

14 hours ago, Miravlix said:

I guess everyone has just given up on FM20. It's over, SI poor update practice has resulted in people having no faith on FM20.

According to Miles, FM20 is played by a record number of players. Sales went great this year so absolutely no reason SI will alter their strategy to comfort what some tiny minority is complaining on the forum. It is what it is. 

After overhauling my Team for the new Season the balance shifted toward the middleground between Crossing and Passing/Through Balls with Headers being minority Goals.

I have now probably one of the best Midfields and some of the fastest Strikers in my league.

Assisttypes.png

Shottypes.png

Edited by Etebaer

Very minor thing; prior to the Winter Update, I used to be able to launch FM without having to open Steam first.

Since Update, if I try and launch FM directly, it opens Steam first and I have to launch from within Steam.

I'm playing on Mac, if that is at all relevant. Not sure it's a bug, but it's a minor annoyance, given I don't use Steam for anything else other than FM and it's just eating resources sitting there open in the background :lol:

4 hours ago, Miravlix said:

Youtube keeps flooding me with 2019 FM videos.

I guess everyone has just given up on FM20. It's over, SI poor update practice has resulted in people having no faith on FM20.

I'm loving FM20. I'd not take social media or this forum as that reliable a barometer. The few mates I have that play the game aren't even aware this place exists and definitely don't watch YouTube video's about the game. 

8 hours ago, Miravlix said:

Youtube keeps flooding me with 2019 FM videos.

Check the dates on the FM19 videos - if they're not recent it's probably that you watched a couple of FM19 videos and so YouTube's algorithm has decided you want more. If they aren't recent videos it says nothing about FM20.

Edited by rp1966

5 hours ago, Jibby123 said:

I'm loving FM20. I'd not take social media or this forum as that reliable a barometer. The few mates I have that play the game aren't even aware this place exists and definitely don't watch YouTube video's about the game. 

Great post mate :thup:

Man alive, the patches are finished and it is two weeks later and still the negative posts. My game is fine and I have a really good time trying to out think my opponent be it their negative approach or their super offensive attack.

strikers score their share, crosses are not always met, penalties are scored, through balls are scored sometimes, long shots are scored sometimes, intricate passing moves are scored sometimes , I get sucker punched sometimes, I get angry with my team sometimes, Injuries happen sometimes.

If you look for negatives all the time then you will eventually find them and then be overwhelmed by them. I spend more time trying to out wit or find a better way to beat my opponent than I do posting selected images of my interpretation of how the ME is broken, actually, I looked into the patch notes from Neil and to my horror found this.

With the February transfer window now closed we're happy to announce that Update 20.4.0 is now available for Football Manager 2020* via Steam.

The update should download automatically, but if you find it hasn't updated, we'd suggest restarting Steam. If you’re unsure whether the game is on the latest version, you can see the version number on the main menu of the game in the bottom-left hand corner.

For access to database and competition updates you'll be required to start a new game, but for all other fixes you're fine to continue any pre-existing saves.

20.4.0 Update Changes including (but not limited to):
------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Stability fixes
- Further database updates covering February transfer window
- Fix for 'Disable First Transfer Window Activity'
- Tweaks to lighting for matches and Newgen faces
- Competition tweaks and updates across a number of leagues 
- Fix for right-clicking on training sessions
- Various other UI improvements across the game

If you look at the highlighted text it spells an eerie message.

Spoiler

The match engine is the devils doing

6 minutes ago, Old Joe Clarke said:

Great post mate :thup:

Man alive, the patches are finished and it is two weeks later and still the negative posts. My game is fine and I have a really good time trying to out think my opponent be it their negative approach or their super offensive attack.

strikers score their share, crosses are not always met, penalties are scored, through balls are scored sometimes, long shots are scored sometimes, intricate passing moves are scored sometimes , I get sucker punched sometimes, I get angry with my team sometimes, Injuries happen sometimes.

If you look for negatives all the time then you will eventually find them and then be overwhelmed by them. I spend more time trying to out wit or find a better way to beat my opponent than I do posting selected images of my interpretation of how the ME is broken, actually, I looked into the patch notes from Neil and to my horror found this.

With the February transfer window now closed we're happy to announce that Update 20.4.0 is now available for Football Manager 2020* via Steam.

The update should download automatically, but if you find it hasn't updated, we'd suggest restarting Steam. If you’re unsure whether the game is on the latest version, you can see the version number on the main menu of the game in the bottom-left hand corner.

For access to database and competition updates you'll be required to start a new game, but for all other fixes you're fine to continue any pre-existing saves.

20.4.0 Update Changes including (but not limited to):
------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Stability fixes
- Further database updates covering February transfer window
- Fix for 'Disable First Transfer Window Activity'
- Tweaks to lighting for matches and Newgen faces
- Competition tweaks and updates across a number of leagues 
- Fix for right-clicking on training sessions
- Various other UI improvements across the game

If you look at the highlighted text it spells an eerie message.

Reveal hidden contents

The match engine is the devils doing

For full effect the message should have been backwards :)

On 17/03/2020 at 11:24, fidelitywars said:

Thing is, those possession statisitcs absolutely do not happen in real life - teams that don't want the ball, tend not to get it. Absolutely huge issue with the ME in both FM19 and FM20 is the ease and margin by which overtly defensive teams win the possession battle. Badly needs rectifying for FM21 if it's to be in any way a better product than what we have now.

Their fix for this would have to be really carefully balanced imo. People already think high pressing is a bit too effective (and it probably is), but then would they bump up the risk taking of the defensive team, and would that make teams a bit too weak defensively?

I see it being particularly delicate issue to balance out. 

I have to say, this has to be the most frustrating FM ever released, when it comes to match engine. I can't really say there's anything fundamentally wrong with it, but something definitely feels off when it comes to finishing.

• Chances in the box not being finished enough (and we're talking good chances, foot-chances inside the 6-yard box, not headers under pressure or similar)
  • Meanwhile long shots are flying in from everywhere, regardless of player's quality (yes, I know occasional fluke-goals happen and that's perfectly fine, but I don't want my English L7 midfielders smashing in top-bins worldies every other match)
  • Set piece goals feel random, despite meticulously sorting out set piece routines

For some reason, the game feels "choked". I'm in my third year, my team is good, the whole front three is good for the level we're playing at and my tactic is balanced (I spend more time I'd like to admit reading guides and watching tactical videos and consider myself fairly knowledgeable when it comes to tactics), yet I can't get my team to score more than one or two goals per game. The amount of 1-1 and 2-2 draws I've seen this year, is absolutely ridiculous.

Now, I understand the game strives to stay in touch with real-world scorelines, but what is then the point of spending hours on transfer windows, building your team and creating a tactic, if ultimately you end up watching something pre-determined and "kept on a leash", so that you can't outperform the AI too badly? What a bore-fest.

Overall, the game really isn't bad. A fun, well-flowing experience, but when it comes to actual matches, they make me want to carve my eyes out alive. I can't bring myself to watch Comprehensive highlights anymore. There's nothing entertaining to see, and, when a scorcher flies in, that in real life would make you scream from excitement, you know you've already seen it ten times in the past week (and half of those scored by your 8 Finishing, 5 Long Shots Ball Winning Midfielder).

1 hour ago, DiStru_ said:

the game strives to stay in touch with real-world scorelines

That's still a myth. We could collect 1,000,000 saves of a season in order to check the amounts of goals scored per match and we'd end up with 10 to 25 % less than real life scorelines of Top 5 leagues. In my latest save Bundesliga teams scored about 2.35 goals per match. That's 0.8 less than 18/19 in real life and 0.2 lower than the lowest recorded real life average ever, 2.58 in 1989/1990. The all time average is 3.05 and the current season is at 3.25 so far.

The scorelines I get mostly match the low-scoring scorelines of the early 70s in the English Football League First Division. The all-time average of the BPL is 2.97.

The scorelines need to be higher if anything. At best aiming for a solid range between 2.70 up to 2.95 with very rare occurrences of seasons with higher and lower average scorelines in the range from 2.30 to 3.35 across all European Top 5 Leagues, because that's were the main focus should be.

Maybe SI's data stays true to real life when they compare their in-game stats of lower leagues in addition with real life scorelines, but that would be a huge distortion. People mainly play in major leagues, and that's were the main focus should be, yet again.

On 17/03/2020 at 12:24, fidelitywars said:

Oh my freaking God, you just absolutely nailed one of the most annoying features of both 2019 and 2020 FM. It seems so easy to be defensive and pass the ball around at the back especially if you play against a lone striker. Pressing is practically all over the place and because of this I have spent the last two years playing this game and banging my head against wall. If you happen to play with a lone striker your midfiled will stay deep, your striker will go on his own and press like a headless chicken. But deep down I just want FM to be great and playable again, because this is not just a bug it is seriously undermining my experience and to wait another year when they will maybe adress this issue is just so painful.

I beat top teams by going attacking, Atletico madrid 8-1, Real Madrid 6-0, but I loss matches against weaker teams with the same tactics.

If I use a more defensive tactics I can win against the weaker teams, but get owned against stronger teams.

That seems so wrong, why would defensive be better at dismantling defensive teams and why would my highest wins be against the best opposition.

The ME just seems entirely broken.

13 hours ago, robot_skeleton said:

Oh my freaking God, you just absolutely nailed one of the most annoying features of both 2019 and 2020 FM. It seems so easy to be defensive and pass the ball around at the back especially if you play against a lone striker. Pressing is practically all over the place and because of this I have spent the last two years playing this game and banging my head against wall. If you happen to play with a lone striker your midfiled will stay deep, your striker will go on his own and press like a headless chicken. But deep down I just want FM to be great and playable again, because this is not just a bug it is seriously undermining my experience and to wait another year when they will maybe adress this issue is just so painful.

It would take big changes to how mentality works. For example passing game is much more suited to lower mentalities. Higher mentalities are simply too quick and impatient and look more suited to running with ball or counter-attacking style. Practically it's the opposite to what it should be.  

22 minutes ago, Mitja said:

It would take big changes to how mentality works. For example passing game is much more suited to lower mentalities. Higher mentalities are simply too quick and impatient and look more suited to running with ball or counter-attacking style. Practically it's the opposite to what it should be.  

I don't think that it is true that you can only play possession football on lower mentalitites, or that it is better suited. @herne79 and @Cleon wrote about it. I am far more concerned about certain things regarding pressing or just the inability to do so. I would write about it extensively but I don't think it would be beneficial, others have done it in the bugs fourum.

Getting REAAAL sick of these matches and miracle goalkeepers and my strikers only shooting in the centre of the goal. These matches do happen in football, I agree. But they don't happen twice a month.

Schermafbeelding 2020-03-19 om 11.11.34.png

13 hours ago, Miravlix said:

I beat top teams by going attacking, Atletico madrid 8-1, Real Madrid 6-0, but I loss matches against weaker teams with the same tactics.

If I use a more defensive tactics I can win against the weaker teams, but get owned against stronger teams.

That seems so wrong, why would defensive be better at dismantling defensive teams and why would my highest wins be against the best opposition.

The ME just seems entirely broken.

Depends how you're set up I guess. Remember what the SI and mods have said, the roles dictate the defensive/attacking along with TI's + the formation. The mentality isn't what it was before 18 or 19. 

If their attack cant get passed your defence then it means your defense is fine against those teams but can't handle stronger teams because they get ran ragged. You're forcing lower teams to attack you so they get complacent and move forward e.g. LOE/DL moves higher hence when you break you have a higher chance of scoring. Bigger teams bombard you so that when you get the ball and try and counter their quality outpowers you- remember playing defensive means you're inviting pressure, not many teams can handle pressure from top teams. 

It shouldnt happen often but it does happen, you only gave a few examples so I can't really say much but it maybe down to your attacking threat being better than your defence and when you take the game to the opponents they buckle cause they don't expect that with the quality you have. Them still trying to attack you while you attck them is playing fire with fire and does work at times. 

The thing of the last patch is that I see more through balls, but when they leave somebody in front of goal, that player misses almost every one of the chances. And in one of my saves that player is Lionel Messi. But when he sends a ball from an indirect free kick, a lot of them end up being headed by someone (height does not matter) to the back of the net.

Frustrating.

More of a general comment, but I'll never understand how it seems like my team can go from 'awesome' to 'woeful' almost on the turn of a dime; even more frustrating when it's so hard to figure out how to break out of a slump like that.

21 hours ago, robot_skeleton said:

I don't think that it is true that you can only play possession football on lower mentalitites, or that it is better suited. @herne79 and @Cleon wrote about it. I am far more concerned about certain things regarding pressing or just the inability to do so. I would write about it extensively but I don't think it would be beneficial, others have done it in the bugs fourum.

Of course. But on the other hand imagine Burnleys trying to outpass Cities. In FM it happens all the time. Passing decision making is simply better on lower mentalities.