Football Manager 2020 January & February Transfer Updates Feedback Thread

5 hours ago, GOODNAME said:

I think because of the situation that exists and everyone in in their houses, this was a good opportunity to get another small patch with improvements to the ME, too bad we wont get it 

You didn't think the SI staff might also be at home too?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the future of football is unclear for what will happen to unfinished leagues from many countries, I was hoping for minor bug fixes and improvements into FM20. 

5 hours ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

Quite likely some will be, but is it not possible some will be able to programme from home, if not FM21 must be in some doubt

I have to admit the thought of this match engine extending into FM21 (if there even is an FM21) did cross my mind and it did make me cry a little bit.

But I shook it off and then lost 4-0 in an even game to a set piece header, a 30-yarder, a direct free kick and a cross from a winger for the other winger to head in.

I cannot tell you how sick I am of seeing English teams dominate continental football on my saves. Not everyone who plays FM is from England not everyone wants to see English clubs dominate the football scene. I don't enjoy seeing consecutive all English CL finals, or Man Utd win it 4 times in a row. I have nothing against English teams but some variation would be nice. I rarely get anything other than 2 or 3 English teams in the CL Semi Finals. 

Test this out for yourselves, look at your long term saves and check how many times English teams won/how many all English finals there are/how many years English teams collectively actively underperformed. 

On top of this, Scottish clubs are vastly overrated and consistently perform well beyond their means. 

I am not suggesting there is some scripting, I am suggesting the CA/Rep levels of those that play in England and to a lesser extent Scotland are vastly overpowered relative to their equivalent Spain/Italy/Germany based equivalents. 

To finish it off, I haven idea why "no Brexit" is even an option in this game. If a player leaves a club on January 31st 2020, during the next update he will be moved to his new club. Yet Brexit happened on January 31st 2020 and I get the "no Brexit" option quite often in-game. It seems like another way to minimise something that negatively effects the English game. 

Argue all you want but there's too much of an Anglo-centric view in this game. 

9 часов назад, CityAndColour сказал:

But I shook it off and then lost 4-0 in an even game to a set piece header, a 30-yarder, a direct free kick and a cross from a winger for the other winger to head in.

regular goal for my teams when I play with 3CB and advanced WBs - cross from right WB for left WB and shot in first touch.
No difference between La Liga team and 3Bundesliga

1 minute ago, Novem9 said:

regular goal for my teams when I play with 3CB and advanced WBs - cross from right WB for left WB and shot in first touch.
No difference between La Liga team and 3Bundesliga

Yeah I concede a lot of goals to wingbacks against teams that play that formation. Usually headers though.

3 hours ago, Travis Bickle said:

I cannot tell you how sick I am of seeing English teams dominate continental football on my saves. Not everyone who plays FM is from England not everyone wants to see English clubs dominate the football scene. I don't enjoy seeing consecutive all English CL finals, or Man Utd win it 4 times in a row. I have nothing against English teams but some variation would be nice. I rarely get anything other than 2 or 3 English teams in the CL Semi Finals. 

Test this out for yourselves, look at your long term saves and check how many times English teams won/how many all English finals there are/how many years English teams collectively actively underperformed. 

On top of this, Scottish clubs are vastly overrated and consistently perform well beyond their means. 

I am not suggesting there is some scripting, I am suggesting the CA/Rep levels of those that play in England and to a lesser extent Scotland are vastly overpowered relative to their equivalent Spain/Italy/Germany based equivalents. 

To finish it off, I haven idea why "no Brexit" is even an option in this game. If a player leaves a club on January 31st 2020, during the next update he will be moved to his new club. Yet Brexit happened on January 31st 2020 and I get the "no Brexit" option quite often in-game. It seems like another way to minimise something that negatively effects the English game. 

I replied to a very similar comment on Steam about this. I opened the my career save to see what i found.
And it was the following:

"In my game i have the following winners. I'm in 2040 at the moment
Can't really say English teams, with the national team, are dominating here:

European Championship:
2020 - Belgium
2024 - Spain
2028 - England
2032 - England
2036 - Portugal

World Cup:
2022 - England
2026 - Italy
2030 - Italy
2034 - Portugal
2038 - Italy

Champions League:
19/20: Real Madrid
20/21: Barcelona
21/22: PSG
22/23: PSG
23/24: Tottenham
24/25: PSG
25/26: PSG
26/27: Real Madrid
27/28: Lyon
28/29: PSG
29/30: Barcelona
30/31: Atletico Madrid
31/32: Man Utd
32/33: Man Utd
33/34: Liverpool
34/35: Benfica
35/36: PSG
36/37: Man City
37/38: Liverpool
38/39: Atletico Madrid

Europa League:
19/20: Dortmund
20/21: Man Utd
21/22: Lyon
22/23: Tottenham
23/24: Inter
24/25: Dortmund
25/26: Milan
26/27: Liverpool
27/28: Barcelona
28/29: Lille
29/30: Tottenham
30/31: Man City
31/32: Dortmund
32/33: Tottenham
33/34: Dortmund
34/35: Dortmund
35/36: Dortmund
36/37: Man Utd
37/38: Chelsea
38/39: Everton"

4 minutes ago, roykela said:

I replied to a very similar comment on Steam about this. I opened the my career save to see what i found.
And it was the following:

"In my game i have the following winners. I'm in 2040 at the moment
Can't really say English teams, with the national team, are dominating here:

European Championship:
2020 - Belgium
2024 - Spain
2028 - England
2032 - England
2036 - Portugal

World Cup:
2022 - England
2026 - Italy
2030 - Italy
2034 - Portugal
2038 - Italy

Champions League:
19/20: Real Madrid
20/21: Barcelona
21/22: PSG
22/23: PSG
23/24: Tottenham
24/25: PSG
25/26: PSG
26/27: Real Madrid
27/28: Lyon
28/29: PSG
29/30: Barcelona
30/31: Atletico Madrid
31/32: Man Utd
32/33: Man Utd
33/34: Liverpool
34/35: Benfica
35/36: PSG
36/37: Man City
37/38: Liverpool
38/39: Atletico Madrid

Europa League:
19/20: Dortmund
20/21: Man Utd
21/22: Lyon
22/23: Tottenham
23/24: Inter
24/25: Dortmund
25/26: Milan
26/27: Liverpool
27/28: Barcelona
28/29: Lille
29/30: Tottenham
30/31: Man City
31/32: Dortmund
32/33: Tottenham
33/34: Dortmund
34/35: Dortmund
35/36: Dortmund
36/37: Man Utd
37/38: Chelsea
38/39: Everton"

Have you added as full detail all leagues and cups? 

Just now, Cadoni said:

Have you added as full detail all leagues and cups? 

The only competition on full detail is the league i'm playing in myself.
Which has been a few different ones in that save.

Just now, roykela said:

When you don't have full detail, let's say Champions League, then it's not ME, but a different code which produce results. 

1 minute ago, Cadoni said:

When you don't have full detail, let's say Champions League, then it's not ME, but a different code which produce results. 

I know.

3 hours ago, Travis Bickle said:

I was mainly, in context with the rest of the post, replying to the highlighted line; showing my results.
That's it.

To judge correctly about English based clubs dominance or not, you need to add these leagues and cups in full detail and playable. Otherwise, both examples from Travis and roykela is based on different code from ME and it's fault assumptions. 

22 minutes ago, Cadoni said:

To judge correctly about English based clubs dominance or not, you need to add these leagues and cups in full detail and playable. Otherwise, both examples from Travis and roykela is based on different code from ME and it's fault assumptions. 

1 hour ago, roykela said:

I load all leagues, every nation but I do not set detail levels so I guess it is none by default other than the league I end up playing with (I am almost always unemployed to start with). 

All I can say is by that metric, English clubs dominate Continental competitions but England do not dominate International competitions. I am fine with English clubs doing well, but not dominating 8 or 9/10 finals. 

Just now, Travis Bickle said:

I load all leagues, every nation but I do not set detail levels so I guess it is none by default other than the league I end up playing with (I am almost always unemployed to start with). 

All I can say is by that metric, English clubs dominate Continental competitions but England do not dominate International competitions. I am fine with English clubs doing well, but not dominating 8 or 9/10 finals. 

Same here. All leagues and every with 340k-380k players (varies from season to season).

Checking the detail settings now and it's on default here. Europe has Later Stages on full detail.
Internationally it's Later Stages for most competitions, apart from the World Cup. WC is having All Competitive Matches on full detail
Club-wise, per nation, it's only my current league on full detail. And a couple of Cups. But the Cups don't have all matches on full detail.

You should have a slice of my save then :D They've been fairly successful but not as successful compared to your save.

19 minutes ago, Nick_CB said:

Last matches in my save. Is the problem with my tactics? I can not handle it anymore

No way we could tell without seeing your tactics, players, etc. I'd also ask that you not post that here for advice/input, and instead post it on the Tactics forum - https://community.sigames.com/forum/19-tactics-training-strategies-discussion/

CCC and half chances are in the screenshots almost not existant so the ME probably thinks the chances were not worth scoring...

Ofc in this case you can have 100 shots on Goal - if none of it is a good shot from a good chance there is no reason to ever score!

At some point it has to happen. Honestly speaking they worked on it for a longer time compared to previous versions and I personally give credit to them for have tried the best until the last deadline.

Just an unfortunate edition, according to my tastes. Maybe it sold well though. I'm happy for SI.

6 minutes ago, Federico said:

At some point it has to happen. Honestly speaking they worked on it for a longer time compared to previous versions and I personally give credit to them for have tried the best until the last deadline.

Just an unfortunate edition, according to my tastes. Maybe it sold well though. I'm happy for SI.

It's too soon.

ME2040 is around one-two month old

image.thumb.png.6c457ee1e2159048810d267ecd30155e.pngCL league history in my save with all leagues (France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal) loaded in full detail. It would confirm that the English clubs dominate (2022/23 final I managed to beat English opposition in the two rounds leading to the final before being smashed by liverpool) 

45 minutes ago, Federico said:

well this years match engine is an abject failure in my view. High potential but broken. Rest of the game is better than ever which makes it a huge shame. Again I wont be buying next years version without confirmation on these baords that the basic engine is functioning. I almost wish I had never tried this game and got used to the improved game outside of the engine so I could still be playing a version where the engine works 

They worked hard is not ok for me. Steam prices according to countries doesn't work well as in niche wargaming - They are creative and excellent . As this not new Civ game in next version why this price in every version. Full of doubts about next match engine and how attributes matter about goals scored.

Edited by baris28

27 minuti fa, Icy ha scritto:

The problem is that it’s the second year in a row we are told that despite knowing that the customers are not happy with the ME

Everything outside the ME is awesome as it is and FM20 was the best version ever imho but I have deleted it from my computer as can’t stand the ME.

I think the problem is that the people not happy about the game is a minority according to SI and according to the number of people playing it and the hours they spend on it.

Surely the game need to be improved, but probably, according to their view, it is not that bad and fixes are not that urgent as we (myself included) are depicting.

I uninstalled FM20 too for the same reason. Again, I purchased a version of FM I barely played, and not because of lack of time only. Incredibly, I personally find FM15 or even FM07 more entertaining and realistic to play. No offense, I know a lot of work has been made meanwhile.

image.thumb.png.806c62439fe129722dccd66e121cea47.png

Again for me deciding the engine wont be worked on anymore is quite amusing. Above match a prime example: My team with 2 world class strikers and a world class gk: 6 clear cut chances and 4 half chances (2 goals one an own goal and 2nd a penalty...). Other team zero clear cut or half chances and 2 goals...  

The above scenario happens time and time again. The reality is clear cut chances (excluding penalties) have a 1 in 4 chance of going in at best?  half chances a 1 in 6?  The conversion rates for these for me are far lower than long range shots that are not blocked and also probably similar to conversion rates from corners...

Most goals scored from forwards are rebounds after another shot or even sliding tackles near the goal...

Yes you can play the match engine (I have won the cup last 4 seasons, league last 3 and last season won all domestic trophies), CL harder as a teams performance seems so erratic (1 day i could beat Real Madrid 7-0 and next lose 5-0 to Man Unt with identical tactics and line up) however its still very frustating just seeing nicely crafted opportunities missed again and again with strikers with 18 finishing, composure and technique...  As someone who plays/ed football to lower semi pro level in real life even I would have at least double the conversion ratio presented these chances than my world class forwards have. 

Do anyone from SI read these posts?

I know the game is well researched and you have many talented researchers to improve the game each year 

But for FM2021 may i suggest you sack the researchers who research the agents , because whatever agents they researched they wasnt football agents !

Sorry for replying, but just for clarification:

1) Yes they do.

2) In order to sack someone, you need to hire him first. Unfortunately for you, but luckily for us, researchers do research exclusively for passion, and not even a penny is due for their work. Without them we could have no FM to discuss about.

20 minutes ago, Federico said:

Sorry for replying, but just for clarification:

1) Yes they do.

2) In order to sack someone, you need to hire him first. Unfortunately for you, but luckily for us, researchers do research exclusively for passion, and not even a penny is due for their work. Without them we could have no FM to discuss about.

Ok thanks for that i just presumed agents got the best deal for the player ,not be disguted with your insulting offer of 100k a week ,giving the player 900% pay rise at the same time ,but gets his player a nice 22k a week deal instead ,so footballers arent out there just for money ,thats good to know thank you.

For me, SI statement about FM 20 is very disappointing. For last 3 FM versions we had really bad match engines. They are aware of it, and then they say - they will not do anything more about FM 2020.

FM 2021 will not come soon, so people must play FM20 with bad ME for couple more months. At least they could try improving it a bit, so for those couple of months we play FM with Match Engine which don't suck, this much at least, since each year we are buying this game and each year we have to deal with new problems. 

I respect them, they are part of my life, of my childhood but I honestly think they need some competition in this video game genre or they will continue with this.

Competition has nothing to do with how bad or good FM is. The staff has passion for football and competence. I started thinking we're all probably too much demanding. The problem with games about football is that football is something everybody in the world think to be an expert of. So everybody wants FM to be EXACTLY as he imagines football to be. It's not like making a sci-fi simulation or a platform. It's very complicated to have a confrontantion with hundreds of thousands of people and each one of them thinks he knows better. And secondly, maybe I'm wrong  I don't know, I started thinking there's just so much they can do with the software and the hardware available nowadays.

What I find a bit disappointing though is that after so many years, a product should evolve and in better, while now I'm enjoying much more older edition. Older editions like FM15 or FM07. It's not right at all that I prefer and I find more enjoyable a game made 13 yearso ago.

Anyway, just thinking loud.

"we are too demanding"

No. 

As you say, and you are right, Fm 2015 for example is better. It is far from perfect but it is at least fun to play! 

Just compare how inside forwards behave in both versions. In 2015 you could clearly see the difference between inside forwards with placed shots, with shoot with power, inside forwards with one-two trait, go forward whenever possible,  cut inside etc. You could clearly see all of that in 2D Match engine in 2015! I remember fm 2015 very well and you as well, you can clearly see the difference between Pione Sisto and more elegant for example Bernardo Silva, right? And then watch inside forwards in 2020. It can't be even compared how much better was 5 years ago. Match Engine is not just a worse representation of football, it even looks worse in some things than before. Look at the grass or that gray thing around pitch in 2D match view. In 2020 we are going backwards even with graphics. 

So, are we too demanding? No, we just want to go forward with the match engine and not backwards. 

Edited by Marko1989

As I've mentioned before niche wargaming is more demanding say- how uniforms represented -despite good combat engine. Core problem here how engine produce goals and assists made in final third. It doesn't matter whether AI vs AI or human player.

Please go back to FM13 as a base version of ME to work with for next year. It looks better, is smoother, animations make sense, it's a better representation of a football match, high scorelines are less common, very elite players could still bag 38 goals in 36 games, and most importantly, players actually had character, personality and quirks on the ME. To the point even with newgens you could turn off names and be able to tell who was who

Seeing a lot of goals conceded via indirect free-kicks crossed in (from wide and deep), I'm seeing that much, and the repetition of the same types of goals, that leads me to think it's buggy and not tactical. Anyone else experience the same?

Edited by stevemc

On 08/04/2020 at 11:17, Federico said:

I'm sorry really but this has nothing to do with tactics. The first two games are a bit more balanced but there's no really reason for a team scoring NOTHING after 15 shots on goal.

But how can you judge the quality of those shots just from looking at the number? 15 shots can mean absolutely nothing if all of them are either long shots or obstructed headers from set pieces. It's easy to generate a lot of shots, what's harder is creating actual good quality chances, especially with a team like Chelsea, which majority of the opposition will straight up park the bus against.

Here's an example of a shot map where, as you said, there would be no reason for a team not to score:

xHFjwI6.png

15 shots coming from open play and 12 of them inside the penalty area. This is not what you see when people complain about "strikers not scoring" or all the unconverted "chances" they're having though, majority of such posts simply go by the number of shots and that's where it ends. And the game sadly does itself no favours, because not only is there no quick way to filter out set pieces or headers, you'll also read about "dominating" performances in your Inbox items as soon as there's high possession or a lot of shots involved. So an average player then rightfully assumes he should be scoring more, even though his tactic isn't actually creating any good quality chances.

1 hour ago, janesy20 said:

6 games in the Prem and and I've had 3 red cards (I don't have get stuck in on) far too many yellow cards flying about!

What's your tactic like? Is your closing down too extreme for the quality of players you have? What about player's Aggression and Tackling? Is he fouling because he can't cope with the player in his defensive area, or is it just his Dirtiness that is high? Are there any Opposition Instructions on? I'm sure you've taken all of the many variables into account before coming to conclusion there's something wrong with the game, after 6 games.

@Federico - Please try to be constructive and actually respond to people's comments if you don't agree with them, rather than just be dismissive. If you think @Zemahh is wrong (which, in my view, he isn't - it is very easy to have a tonne of shots, none of which were ever likely to go in), you're welcome to explain why you think he is, rather than just post dismissive one liners.

EDIT: And due to your unhelpful response, you're welcome to not participate in the thread for the bank holiday weekend. Take a break and come back when you're going to be less disruptive for people wanting to discuss things constructively.