Football Manager 2020 January & February Transfer Updates Feedback Thread

36 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

New save, first season, All English CL & EL Final

Second season, 3/4 teams in the CL SF are English, Liverpool beat Real Madrid 5-0 and Manchester City beat Juventus 4-0 to get there.

Do you guys not realise how insanely anglocentric this game is? 

All English final in the CL. 

Inter - Man Utd EL final. Wait and see, all English winers again. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Travis Bickle just to manage your expectations, you aren't necessarily going to get a direct response from SI. It's a feedback thread, but not a promise every remark gets even a brief response.

They will no doubt be picked up somewhere down the line, but when it comes to some situations if you think they're out there that much then I would suggest a bug report rather than feedback. 

Feedback is your personal opinion on something, you can absolutely dislike a feature of the game and think not at all the way to go about something, it just isn't to your tastes. If you think something is actually wrong, and isn't even remotely possible then you should log it as a bug.

farcical.thumb.PNG.fbbd8bf3e377144b13f6e2d7f4c24086.PNG

Such a sadly regular occurrence. Completely dominate game, go 1-0 up, squander a bunch of good chances to get a second, AI then scores from a set piece, rest of the game is more chances being squandered.

The closer the shot, the less power the shooter has.

1 hour ago, CityAndColour said:

Such a sadly regular occurrence. Completely dominate game, go 1-0 up, squander a bunch of good chances to get a second, AI then scores from a set piece, rest of the game is more chances being squandered.

Willand are my local team😂.Brilliant!!

1 hour ago, CityAndColour said:

I'm currently in my 3rd season with Weymouth. Got promoted to the Vanarama National league as Champions and currently sitting pretty in 5th position (massively over-achieving) but am not enjoying the game. Most of my goals conceded are from indirect free-kicks. Each team seem to have a David Beckham to cross the ball and a Cristiano Ronaldo in the box to head it in. All of this after they've been dominated and my team squander the easiest of chances, repeatedly. Despite being relatively successful I can't really say it's been that enjoyable; mostly mental gymnastics in my mind trying to figure out what's going on! This version is without a doubt somewhat of a joke if it's supposed to have a semblance of representation of real life football tactics/match experience. 

Whilst personally I'm not having issues getting goals our of my strikers.. I've just looked at the team conversion rate for my division which the team in number 1 is at 12%... when compared to the BPL IRL, No 1 is Liverpool with 31.9% and 20th is Norwich with 10.4%...

I finished 2nd in the Vanarama National League in my 1st season with Weymouth. What an infuriating season. I doubt players could even miss 1/8 of the chances my forwards missed without being laughed out football. Either way, somehow I did well. Here are two pictures of the Play-off Semi-Final against Hartlepool. We were still underdogs but my team talk didn't go for that, I went for let's do this for the fans. 

Make of these pictures what you will. If I can I'll upload the equalising goal which belongs in the 'funny screenshots thread'. Now, the problem is this happens far too frequently. For it to happen in such a big game, after a long old slog in the Vanarama National is exactly why players get infuriated and question the legitimacy of what they're putting hours of time and effort into. 

I would go one further and say this is horrendously unforgivable and SI owe it to a sizeable percentage of customers to do better next time around. 

PS. does anybody know how I can add a recorded highlight to here? I've tried but it says the file is too big. If you see it it really adds to the bemusement of the player.

Weymouth v Hartlepool_ Match Stats.png

Weymouth v Hartlepool_ Review.png

Edited by dolph11

Unfortunately, I have to echo the above.

This games ME ruins any immersion. Most of my games look set for 0-0 unless I score from an indirect free kick, corner, or the opposition back four deciding he wants to gift my centre forward yet another opportunity, after he has already missed 3 or 4 one on ones. Every game is by and large the same. There is absolutely nothing going on in the final third. 

If anyone could recommend the best ME of recent editions, I am all ears, as all I really want is an exciting game of FM to keep me busy during this lockdown.

Pre season goalies for small teams all play like De Gea, wingbacks and CM's are top scorers with the majority of goals coming from strikes outside he box or from crosses from wingback to wingback. Ratings during the game can go from 6.9 - 6.4 if my striker misses 2 one on ones, or hits the post but he can be sitting at 6.4 for 60 mins of a game and score 1 goal and suddenly he's up to a 7.4, really? He's been rubbish all game and 1 goal doesn't make him a 7.4, he was that bad he was about to get hooked but 1 goal suddenly makes up for it. You can't even bollock him as he ends up a decent rating, there's nowhere in the conversation where I can say to him "you were p ish until you scored, scoring isn't all the game is about"  I don't mind strikers not scoring loads as long as they're contributing and getting decent ratings but they go from 6.3 one game to 7.9 the next.

10 hours ago, shaunwwfc said:

This games ME ruins any immersion. Most of my games look set for 0-0 unless I score from an indirect free kick, corner, or the opposition back four deciding he wants to gift my centre forward yet another opportunity, after he has already missed 3 or 4 one on ones. Every game is by and large the same. There is absolutely nothing going on in the final third. 

If anyone could recommend the best ME of recent editions, I am all ears, as all I really want is an exciting game of FM to keep me busy during this lockdown.

I echo your sentiments. I went back to FM18 two weeks back and am hooked again. ME isn't perfect (long shots are pretty woeful) but it is a more fluid match engine with a lot more variety than FM20 imo.

10 hours ago, shaunwwfc said:

FM15,16 or17

25 minutes ago, tajj7 said:

I had Emerson in my game, I bought him from Chelsea for a low value because he was transfer listed, played excellently for me as an attacking wing back. So end of season he is attracting interest, I get these derisory offers from PSG and Real Madrid, which I turn town, he then gets angry I rejected the bids (even though they offered like half his value) and gets more angry I won't sell him for an 'acceptable' value, even though it's still way lower than his actual value and I don't want to sell (cos it's fine for the AI to list a transfer listed player for one and half or even two times his value, but if you try to get £40 million for a £30 million player you don't really want to sell apparently I am pricing him out of a move) anyway, eventually I agree to sell him to Real Madrid for about £40 million, so they got what they want with the tapping up.

I check on him a year a later, he's not played one game for the first team and has played the whole season in the B team, why unsettle my player, spend £40 million for him and not even play him?

And of course despite him agitating for a move from a title challenging PL club, he's apparently fine playing B team football in Spain all year. 

On a related note, Man City in my save bought Mbappe, Kane,  Gimenez, Maddison, Dembele, Aouar to go with Bernardo Silva, De Bruyne, Ederson, Laporte etc. and somehow managed to finish 6th, they were down in 9th for long periods of the season, baffling how badly they played.

Also the big european clubs just seem to rotate their best players around, PSG buy Sterling, Man City buy Mbappe, Man City buy Dembele so Barcelona later on buy Silva, and it goes on.

I signed as Man City manager and had the best ST in the game playing for me. Bayern made a pathetic offer of £80m for him and I obviously rejected it. He got in a huff about it saying he'd achieved everything at City and wanted a new challenge and spent the entire 9 months I was there with abysmal/poor morale and totally underplayed as a result. I tried to sell him, offering him out for everything from £120m to £50m, but despite pretty much every team being interested in him no-one wanted to bid, so I couldn't give away the best striker in the save. After 9 months of this, and some terrible cup draws (PSG in the first knockout round, United and Chelsea in the cups) I got fired for poor performance. Anyway, the new manager came in and must have said something to him because 4-5 years later he's still at City and has won world player of the year pretty much every year since! What happened to needing a new challenge?!

15 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

Whilst personally I'm not having issues getting goals our of my strikers.. I've just looked at the team conversion rate for my division which the team in number 1 is at 12%... when compared to the BPL IRL, No 1 is Liverpool with 31.9% and 20th is Norwich with 10.4%...

Finished a season the other day and my team had the highest conversion rate in the league at 14%. 

Not great is it. It's pretty much impossible to get 16% or above I've noticed. Even for AI teams. 

Here is my first choice Striker for the Vanarama National League. 5 goals in 18 games. Ridiculous. His stats are really quite impressive for this level. I hasten to add that my IF's are also very good stat-wise but have also scored as few goals. Even worse, his goals have come from penalties and fox-in-the-box goals from set-pieces. I can assure you he's had plenty of good chances in open play but for some reason he never scores them! Absolutely mystifying. 

Jake Scrimshaw_ Attributes.png

Vanarama National League_ Stages.png

Edited by dolph11

On 29/03/2020 at 21:19, Manutd1999 said:

For the last two editions, we seem to have been locked in a pattern whereby updates fix some issues but create new ones. E.g.

- The initial release of FM20 actually had some good central play but this was over-shadowed by the glaringly obvious ball-over-the-top and 1v1 conversion issues 
- The next patch fixed the obvious problems but reduced central play, essentially taking us back to FM19
- The Jan updates improved central play slightly but introduced new issues with set-pieces

SI's comments on these forums often highlight the difficulty in producing a "balanced" ME. I don't doubt this is true,but surely at some point SI have to start questioning why the ME is so hard to balance and how it can be improved?

It is not hard to figure out why. It's because their business model is to pump out a new game every year. That is not a lot of development time, it means endless hectic schedules and just trying to barely keep on top of things. This is the biggest reason why the ME keeps jumping around like that. They don't have time to develop a better product. 

No problems with my match engine, six goals were from beautiful play and one from a penalty. No corners and no free kicks. Blocked out my formation as I learnt it and formed it over the last few months and I micro manage all through the game. Yes, there are some tweaks that SI can do, but a full on forum section to call them out is a bit unfair. My team are playing great football and I really enjoy the game.

Come on folks, we have enough bugs flying around the world right now, lets at least beat any bugs in the game that you can and get over it.

Go and thrash a team, cheer, get pissed or whatever you want to do. Good or bad, we still have Footy manager...

Fm Barca.jpg

14 minutes ago, Old Joe Clarke said:

No problems with my match engine, six goals were from beautiful play and one from a penalty. No corners and no free kicks. Blocked out my formation as I learnt it and formed it over the last few months and I micro manage all through the game. Yes, there are some tweaks that SI can do, but a full on forum section to call them out is a bit unfair. My team are playing great football and I really enjoy the game.

Come on folks, we have enough bugs flying around the world right now, lets at least beat any bugs in the game that you can and get over it.

Go and thrash a team, cheer, get pissed or whatever you want to do. Good or bad, we still have Footy manager...

Fm Barca.jpg

I think it's unfair for a company to sell a clearly unfinished product or at least borderline faulty to an unwitting public. I don't work off one game evidence. Please, provide more info to back up these wonderful goals. My Striker and Inside Forwards are constantly missing sitters. I don't need to exaggerate, I'm currently on course for another promotion with Weymouth. But I like what is right to be what is right. There is no reason for my forwards to miss the opportunities that they are, at a ridiculous rate. It's becoming intolerable. The problem I have is I love football and since I stopped being a part of it many years ago (at a low level, I hasten to add) it's my fix. This game shouldn't be this poorly made and to deny it helps nobody but SI. 

Edited by dolph11

They need to forget new features for the time being and fix the match engine. 

One offs happen and users can have tactical issue but these problems are happening to an awful lot of people. And it's the exact same thing for each of the complaints. 

It feels incredibly artificial the way the game is played out in the last two versions of the game. 

It just needs fixing!

34 minutes ago, jozza800 said:

They need to forget new features for the time being and fix the match engine. 

One offs happen and users can have tactical issue but these problems are happening to an awful lot of people. And it's the exact same thing for each of the complaints. 

It feels incredibly artificial the way the game is played out in the last two versions of the game. 

It just needs fixing!

You know, im afraid it wont be that impressive that it would improve alot. And why do i think that. Its because a company needs to think about its profit model, and with the google stadia, FM touch, FM mobile the focus will also be on this projects of them, so I am afraid that we wont see a huge improvent on this issue. But its just my view on this matter, lets hope they will impress us all with a great update in the next FM game. 

12 hours ago, ajw10 said:

Your continual dismissal of anyone having issues with this game is annoying, but blocking out a formation is downright weird

I don't have issues with this game so how could I possibly agree that there are. I don't see them. And I will block out anything I won't as I do not share tactics nor download them. But thanks for the compliment, weird is preferable to hoity toity.

32 minutes ago, Old Joe Clarke said:

I don't have issues with this game so how could I possibly agree that there are. I don't see them. And I will block out anything I won't as I do not share tactics nor download them. But thanks for the compliment, weird is preferable to hoity toity.

So instead of the chance of being genuinely helpful you decide to not be and just look down at everyone instead?

4 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

So instead of the chance of being genuinely helpful you decide to not be and just look down at everyone instead?

In what way am I looking down at anyone? That comment makes no sense. I am not here for an argument unlike you, I simply posted a screenie of a great result and how happy I am with the game. Maybe being negative all the time is what you think is the way forward, who knows and who cares?

25 minutes ago, Old Joe Clarke said:

In what way am I looking down at anyone? That comment makes no sense. I am not here for an argument unlike you, I simply posted a screenie of a great result and how happy I am with the game. Maybe being negative all the time is what you think is the way forward, who knows and who cares?

Depends how you look at it, dude. I'm not negative but I definitely have my criticisms of the game, and justifiably so. This game needs improvement, you saying otherwise helps nobody, seriously. I've just got promoted to the Football League with Weymouth within 4 seasons, no mean feat, yet it still feels off. The ME was just all over the place; at times I felt like I had no control of the outcome due to the lottery of defending set-pieces and my forwards profligacy in front of goal, not because of the closeness of the games.

Furthermore, I will happily show or share my tactic which, like you, I created myself as I do like to feel like I earned success. Despite that, I do understand the difficulty in understanding the game and will happily help anybody where I can. It makes no sense not to, right?

Vanarama National League_ Stages-2.png

Edited by dolph11

20 minutes ago, dolph11 said:

Depends how you look at it, dude. I'm not negative but I definitely have my criticisms of the game, and justifiably so. This game needs improvement, you saying otherwise helps nobody, seriously. I've just got promoted to the Football League with Weymouth within 4 seasons, no mean feat, yet it still feels off. The ME was just all over the place; at times I felt like I had no control of the outcome due to the lottery of defending set-pieces and my forwards profligacy in front of goal, not because of the closeness of the games.

Furthermore, I will happily show or share my tactic which, like you, I created myself as I do like to feel like I earned success. Despite that, I do understand the difficulty in understanding the game and will happily help anybody where I can. It makes no sense not to, right?

Vanarama National League_ Stages-2.png

That is a fair comment and I agree with most of your points, I have given some advice but draw the line at swapping tactics. It just feels wrong and helps no one learn the game. I have struggled and got thrashed but then made the changes needed, as I said in my initial post, I just don't suffer from the problems that are posted on here. 

7 minutes ago, Old Joe Clarke said:

That is a fair comment and I agree with most of your points, I have given some advice but draw the line at swapping tactics. It just feels wrong and helps no one learn the game. I have struggled and got thrashed but then made the changes needed, as I said in my initial post, I just don't suffer from the problems that are posted on here. 

That's fair. You have your reasons. I believe that you haven't experienced any of the problems either. The problem is that people have and there is no real explanation for it, more of a 'put up and shut up' stance which is rather unacceptable. Now, if the ME is much better in 2021 then this inept edition will be worth it. If not, then it will show that SI learned nothing from this feedback thread an all was worthless. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, dolph11 said:

That's fair. You have your reasons. I believe that you haven't experienced any of the problems either. The problem is that people have and there is no real explanation for it, more of a 'put up and shut up' stance which is rather unacceptable. Now, if the ME is much better in 2021 then this inept edition will be worth it. If not, then it will show that SI learned nothing from this feedback thread an all was worthless. Time will tell.

Take care fella :)

16 hours ago, Old Joe Clarke said:

Fm Barca.jpg

Ok, you won 7 nil against a top side with another top side but I don't understand why you hide your formation? We can't even see any team instructions from that screen, it only shows the formation and players and that's it.

And why not share with us the PKM with all those beautiful goals so we can learn how to enjoy this ME better?

So I dont want this to be a banter about the game but seriously. The wingers in fm 2020 and its updates its utter ****. I'm in my third season with the current save (so I have many games behind me), and the impact wingers have on the game and the end result is just ridiculous !! Every match is decided by wingers, either they score 1,2,3,4,5 goals, everybody else is just nonexistent. And it not just my team, i check the matches of the teams in my league also (playing as leeds in premier league), every single match is decided by wingers. They have the most assists and goals by far in every team. How is this even possible ?!

7 hours ago, andu1 said:

but I don't understand why you hide your formation? We can't even see any team instructions from that screen, it only shows the formation and players and that's it.

I agree with this, he's not giving anything away by showing us the formation :D

Because it is probably some downloaded formation or he did something with the editor, anyways something is shady since he didn't wanted to show the formation. 

Even if he show it, by now he could edit the image in many ways to hide what he want us not to know.

He is probably just enjoying the game because he is winning all the time with his strong team. And I am glad if he enjoy it, people who enjoy the game, good for you, just please don't post comments that the ME is good because that is far from true. 

10 hours ago, andu1 said:

Ok, you won 7 nil against a top side with another top side but I don't understand why you hide your formation? We can't even see any team instructions from that screen, it only shows the formation and players and that's it.

And why not share with us the PKM with all those beautiful goals so we can learn how to enjoy this ME better?

Dont understand it either. Like people think they are doing wonders. I smashed Barca also with 7-0 after just using preset tactics, vertical tiki taka. But yeah. Being helpfull with tips would be fair and nice for others but yeah you cant do anything about it. I have had issues too and many comments here i can agree with but its weird when some people come in and doing some self glorification to put others away like they are talking nonsense. And if some would disagree oke, get some input with advices for them. But im glad there are many here who do. 

By the way, im playing the game just with the preset tactics and the enjoyment is coming back luckily. Im using tiki taka, and against stronger teams vertical tiki taka, as its less agressive and has the counter element in its play. 

On 21/04/2020 at 09:57, Travis Bickle said:

New save, first season, All English CL & EL Final

Second season, 3/4 teams in the CL SF are English, Liverpool beat Real Madrid 5-0 and Manchester City beat Juventus 4-0 to get there.

Do you guys not realise how insanely anglocentric this game is? 

3rd season in a row all English CL Final for me most likely:

Screenshot 2020-04-24 at 12.35.33.png

2 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

3rd season in a row all English CL Final for me most likely:

Screenshot 2020-04-24 at 12.35.33.png

Your last 3 posts in this thread have all been about this- you have made your point so this is now not feedback it is just repetition, so please just move on.

Just now, FrazT said:

Your last 3 posts in this thread have all been about this- you have made your point so this is now not feedback it is just repetition, so please just move on.

I thought you guys wanted evidence? If that's not the case I accept it. I was just documenting what has happened in my save. 

So I'm back after my hiaetus from the game, just to take a break.

I'm now playing as Bayern and continuing my save in Nov 2032/33 (13/14 year save so a good spread of information) and seeing if I can have any grievances with the way I'm playing.

My first impression over the seasons: It's difficult to score goals in this years FM and they don't match to real life.

- It is hard to score. Initially in this thread or in the old thread I stated it depends on your tactics. I'm actually not so sure anymore. I'm currently 12 league games into the season, the average amount of goals per team is exactly 1. There are only 2 teams who are outperforming that. Myself and one other. Most people have scored or conceded around 12 goals.

- I'm checking through the previous seasons statistics. In the german league after 34 games, 10 of the 18 teams were unable to score 34 goals. 11 of the 18 teams were unable to score 1 goal a game 2 years back. At an expectation, I'd expect the worst team in the league to score 1.0 goal a game or a smidgeon under, the rest should be over and some going at 3 goals a game at the extreme end. 1.2 to 1.9 is a rough guide. Teams cannot even reach 1 goal. I don't have to dive deep to see it's hard to score.

- Average top scorer per season - Here is a list per season of the top goalscorers prior to this seasons FM:

2007 - 20 goals, 2008 - 24 goals, 2009 - 28 goals , 2010 - 22 goals, 2011 - 28 goals, 2012 - 29 goals, 2013 - 25 goals, 2014 - 20 goals, 2015 - 19 goals, 2016 - 30 goals, 2017 - 31 goals, 2018 - 29 goals, 2019 - 22 goals

13 Year spread. Only 1 season under 20 goals. Average goals per season 25.15 goals per season by the leagues top scorer.

Here is my saves records for the Bundesliga:

2020 - 24 goals, 2021 - 23 goals, 2022 - 19 goals, 2023 - 17 goals, 2024 - 16 goals, 2025 - 18 goals, 2026 - 21 goals, 2027 - 17 goals, 2028 - 16 goals, 2029 - 18 goals, 2030 - 18 goals, 2031 - 17 goals, 2032 - 16 goals, 2032/33 (Nov) - 8 goals

13 Year Spread. Average goals per season is 18.46 goals per season by the leagues top scorer and considering how little goals per season are scored per team, it's highly likely he's the only one usually scoring for his particular team. If I were to take the first 3 seasons out which were Lewandowski with the records and they are large outliers, the average goals scored is 17.4 goals. About 8 goals per season lower. So it's possible it's not just me struggling, everyone in the game is struggling to score as born out by the stats and by the top goalscorer.

**One other note so far without looking too deep** - I went 15 games, league and cup without conceding a goal and only conceded 10 half chances in that period... with an attacking formation. Really??

I'm happy to screenshot any of the information requested above if any of SI needs any information.

The Bundesliga Goal Scoring is not that far off from reality - there were decades with pretty low striker scorings and the top Goalgetter had only 17 Goals i think.

That the Lewandowskis and alike score 30 Goals is historically in the past decades since the 80s an exception and not the normality - a good striker in Germany is anybody who scores more than 10 Goals per Season, even a Mark Uth is seen by some as good Striker, 15 goals you are a top Striker.

Also you need to take into account that there are much to many good Players growing up  the amount of great youth Players is ridiculously high which means the Quality difference between Teams decreases and so do the top Scorers score less as they can not take advantage of the of the quaity gaps between the Teams that existed earlier in the game and probably the Opponent ai tries to minimize the results either.

The finishing on this game is absolutely tragic and makes a completely mockery of SI's policy of saying that everything in this game matches the stats. Please show me when in the Premier League stats like this were common?

I have Haaland who is easily one of the best strikers on the game. He scored 37 in 51 last year and he is on 21 in 33 this. Great numbers but when you look deeper you realise that it's nonsense and makes me question why I have a striker with 19 finishing and 17 composure when he misses so many chances. In the last few games I have him seen him hit shots straight at the keeper twice when unmarked. It's absurd

Haaland has 102 shots in 22 league games. Lukaku has 119 in 23.  On this, is there any way of seeing how a player scores? Because I'm sure most of Lukaku's 22 goals have been from headers.

Newcastle v Arsenal_ Match Stats.png

Arsenal v Dinamo Zagreb_ Match Stats.png

Arsenal v Newcastle_ Match Stats.png

2 ore fa, ajw10 ha scritto:

The finishing on this game is absolutely tragic and makes a completely mockery of SI's policy of saying that everything in this game matches the stats. Please show me when in the Premier League stats like this were common?

I have Haaland who is easily one of the best strikers on the game. He scored 37 in 51 last year and he is on 21 in 33 this. Great numbers but when you look deeper you realise that it's nonsense and makes me question why I have a striker with 19 finishing and 17 composure when he misses so many chances. In the last few games I have him seen him hit shots straight at the keeper twice when unmarked. It's absurd

Haaland has 102 shots in 22 league games. Lukaku has 119 in 23.  On this, is there any way of seeing how a player scores? Because I'm sure most of Lukaku's 22 goals have been from headers.

Newcastle v Arsenal_ Match Stats.png

Arsenal v Dinamo Zagreb_ Match Stats.png

Arsenal v Newcastle_ Match Stats.png

I think a good amount of users, me included, are sharing the same experience.

I feel like I'm beating the same drum but I'm definitely experiencing the same. I've conceded so many ridiculous goals from my defenders dwelling on the ball when they have options! It's incredible. Imagine Titus Bramble. infamous for his fatal errors, he probably did that twice a season. I've seen it happen around 20 times a season minimum from my saves in England. Set pieces are lethal from the AI, as are corners! The AI counter attacks with such precision and penetrate so easily that it becomes obvious when it's gonna be a goal. 

I have these complaints despite being relatively succesful. This isn't a moan because I'm terrible at the game, it's a moan because the game isn't good enough on so many levels. 

I just got promoted after my first season in League 2 with Weymouth. I'll share my tactic should anybody wish to see it. The ME is still in a state. My doing well will not stop my criticism as it should be better!

Sky Bet League Two_ Stages.png

Edited by dolph11