Football Manager 2020 Pre-Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

37 minutes ago, DiStru_ said:

And you sound like someone who would pay to test someone's product. Exactly why the gaming industry loves these "beta/early access" releases so much. Gone are the days when they needed to pay their testers, guess what, nowadays THEY get paid for releasing a half-finished product instead! :D

Anyway, enough off-topic from me. I understand the meaning of beta, but I do have a slight problem with people getting linked all over the forum even after they make an effort to report an issue. If you care about your game, you should take everything you get and do your best to fix it, instead of expecting everything on a silver plate for free.

As you can see you are now offending the hard working people at SI, which is something Moderators always take exception to.

Continue posting in the same disrespectful manner and you'll lose the ability to post.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

I'll add though that tactics absolutely do matter and what you are seeing over the last 3 years are things that plenty of others don't.  I don't recall the last time you went looking for help in the Tactics forum, perhaps you should?

If this has happened in the last three years (!!!!!) the "root cause" in itself arguably isn't so much tactical. It's that the game doesn't do a particularly good Job in helping Players what is actually more likely to be converted and what isn't. The rest is being killed by ****** TV commentary seeing "Sitters"  in everything every week (if they'd ever be correct, the average Football scoreline was 5-5). ;) Hence why some users struggle to convert (or perceive it as such), whilst others have fantastic conversion ratios. 

However, that's a part of it. Knowingn that what you create isn't that consistently Quality /converted is one step. The second is the tacrtical part  indeed, which is About increasing the likelyhood of scoring in different Scenarios -- and decreasing the Chance of conceding likewise. At least with the first step the game could be more helpful. Although it would make Things easier than it is now. This is absolutely vital if you'd be ever playing defensive and/or counter attacking Football for yourself. It's never been the volumes, it's always been the quality.

Edited by Svenc

43 minutes ago, DiStru_ said:

And you sound like someone who would pay to test someone's product. Exactly why the gaming industry loves these "beta/early access" releases so much. Gone are the days when they needed to pay their testers, guess what, nowadays THEY get paid for releasing a half-finished product instead! :D

Anyway, enough off-topic from me. I understand the meaning of beta, but I do have a slight problem with people getting linked all over the forum even after they make an effort to report an issue. If you care about your game, you should take everything you get and do your best to fix it, instead of expecting everything on a silver plate for free.

Its worth asking, that if you're so clued up on all these scams the gaming industries apparently run to get people "to pay to test the game for them", then why did you go ahead of pre-purchase and then play the beta?

Am mid-Feb in the first season, with Hamburg in 2. Bundesliga. Expected to finish 3rd, currently 2nd. 

Playing the basic vanilla gegenpress template, so have changed nothing tactically.

Pro's so far: I'm loving it, played pretty solid since release. Players doing pretty much what I ask of them on the pitch, or at least trying to. Seeing a more variety of goals and inter-play than previously. I think the club cultures and vision and player contract future promises has real potential for better immersion. 

Con's so far:

1.When an attacking player shoots with no other players between him and the goalkeeper he always seems to miss or have it saved, including one on one's. Unless he's offside, then it seems to go in but then be disallowed. This is for and against my team.

2. I have had one instance where after transfer offer accepted, go to contract negotiation and he wants me to promise him he will be loaned out, even though I am buying him (and he's insisting on being) as a star player. Seems odd to me.

3. My U19 players seem to be playing for Hamburg II AND the U19 side. It tires them out, bless their cotton socks. As in always down at 50-60%. Is there any way I can block them playing for the 2nd team? 

So what does a technical director do exactly? I hired one but i am not exactly sure what he should do? Should he provide reports about the current staff because i have not received any reports from him yet.

2 minutos atrás, andu1 disse:

So what does a technical director do exactly? I hired one but i am not exactly sure what he should do? Should he provide reports about the current staff because i have not received any reports from him yet.

It's like the Director of Football, for staff. They can hire coaches and other staff if you want them to.

The performance of the 3d match view has been worse for me in FM20. In FM19, I had all the Match graphic display settings set to medium (except for Crowd Quality which is set to 'Off') and I replicated that for FM20. However, the performance is worse. It is quite jittery/stuttery and my laptop fans are making lots of noise. I've also tried with Mesh Detail, Texture quality and Anti-Aliasing set to low and still have the same issues

Which specific settings are best to turn to low to try and make the match experience smoother and my fan less loud (or should I turn all to low)?

Thanks 

41 minutes ago, Scotty Walds said:

What was their average rating? Any assists?

Two assists with a 7.03 rating.  I am not entirely sure how it was that high - the player has been pretty peripheral despite being arguably the most talented in the team.

One of those games was a game where the striker completed 90 minutes as an Advanced Forward, attempted 8 passes and completed 7.  No key passes, no chances created, 4/11 headers, two shots with one on target.  No defensive contribution to speak of, either.  7.0 rating.  In the next game, the player also completed 90 minutes as an AF.  21/23 passes, no key, no chances. 8/15 headers with twice as many key headers.  5 shots, 2 on target.  6.7 rating.  That seems strange, and backwards. 

Edit: This could be an average-of-the-last-five-games thing, but it popped up after two fairly mediocre performances - the two I listed above, in fact.  The game before those two, the striker had a goal and an assist in 90 minutes, a 6.4 90-minute performance, and another goal-and-an-assist game.  So there was a time saying the striker was in impressive form was correct; it just wasn't when I received the message. 

That 6.4 interests me, because stat-wise it's quite similar to the 7.0 above.  A few more passes and completed passes, similar defensive contribution, more shots, more headers won but fewer attempted.  The biggest difference is the 2 caught offisdes to 0.

Edited by Sunstrikuuu

Don't know if it's a UI bug, a weird glitch in my game or it was pulled out from the game. On older FM's you could have multiple lists of players - one for every single corner routine.

Now it seems that the set piece takers list applies for all routines.

FM19:

mBWP5OQ.png

FM20:

TEWywFR.png

Has anyone had any players develop partnerships so far? 

I'm in February of my first season and nobody bar 2 players who already had a partnership have actually developed one yet. 

On FM19 they usually developed by the end of pre-season / first month of games. 

I have some players who've played 25+ games together in defence and nothing as yet. 

1 hour ago, frank_olaf said:

Which specific settings are best to turn to low to try and make the match experience smoother and my fan less loud (or should I turn all to low)?

I have the graphics settings on low but the render quality on very high. All other settings are 'low' except anti-aliasing which is off. Until the problem with some Nvidia cards is fixed, this is as close to a smooth 3D as I'm going to get. 

1 hour ago, Mensell76 said:

I believe Miles talked about some of the ME areas that needed tweaking (wasn't DC's dwelling on the ball one of them?) In the first Twitch stream. And there are probably other ME areas to tweak already known to SI prior to beta release.

My stance on how SI shares ME information remains unchanged. If SI would address the known ME issues in the OP it would probably prevent some of the people in this thread getting frustrated or start doubting SI's capabilities of really changing the ME positively. 

SI states in the OP : the ME is not final. Why not share the areas that are still being tweaked for the final version? I am betting long shot accuracy, CCC conversion and crosspassing accuracy were already on SI's radar. Treat your betatesters more as equals when it comes to sharing "known bugs". The motivation and tone of posting of your public betatesters would then probably have a more positive baseline. 

Basic civility can not and will not be contingent on getting more information, especially when they can only share what they are cleared to share. They will be tweaking lots of areas, but given the shifting nature it will nearly always be privileged information. But that doesn't stop anyone following the rules of civility here. It's not something up for debate and it absolutely will be something we enforce, probably more strictly so given the number of times we've had to step in recently. Not the path we wanted to be going down so let's start being more constructive 

33 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Guys - anyone managing to get Inside Forwards to actually cut in with the ball? Mine doesn't do it at all. 

I'm managing it with a LM Inverted Winger but only really with attack duty, and it's not hugely noticeable without watching the full match as nothing really comes from it.

Beta released as I was getting in the car for a weekend away.....of course it would be. If I'd thought about it I could have predicted the release date!!! :lol:

So, just installed and only a few friendlies in to a test save.

Couple of the screens seem like hard work compared to FM19 but I'm reserving judgement so won't detail.

Pre-season team meeting bug, must have been mentioned previously. I tell the players we're looking for a mid-table finish, all are happy with the exception of one player. The next screen gives me three options all of which are guaranteed to antagonise the team and undo my previous comment........

In game, I picked up straight away that both of my very average FB's are like Roberto Carlos, pin point passing across the width of the field at will. Also, as I've seen mentioned, goals from long shots and the ball over the top that appears invisible to defenders are an early concern.

Match graphics are somewhat improved, as is the player and goalkeeper movement so thats positive. I wouldn't comment on the UI as I'll be playing with the Flut skin if/when it's released.

Vey early days and plenty of time for those good buggers at Si to address. 

My feedback is that sadly this is by far the worst FM match engine I have ever played. Everything looks so incredibly random that I don't even know where to begin for bug reports. I even tried watching a full match in slow speed just to see if I could make sense of how players moved and made on-ball decisions and came away thinking that I don't want to play another game until the next patch. 

All MEs have a few annoying things, but this may be the first one that I consider to be unplayable.

Outside of the ME everything is awesome, but if matches are this bad then it doesn't really matter to me.

Edit: I do have faith in SI fixing this as they are usually very good at incremental improvements in the ME (16.3 aside) and will contribute with PKMs and such, as everyone complaining here should.

Edited by kidd_05_u2

8 minutes ago, kidd_05_u2 said:

Outside of the ME everything is awesome, but if matches are this bad then it doesn't really matter to me.

Edit: I do have faith in SI fixing this as they are usually very good at incremental improvements in the ME (16.3 aside) and will contribute with PKMs and such, as everyone complaining here should.

Well said 

6 minutes ago, kidd_05_u2 said:

My feedback is that sadly this is by far the worst FM match engine I have ever played. Everything looks so incredibly random that I don't even know where to begin for bug reports. I even tried watching a full match in slow speed just to see if I could make sense of how players moved and made on-ball decisions and came away thinking that I don't want to play another game until the next patch. 

All MEs have a few annoying things, but this may be the first one that I consider to be unplayable.

This is very bold and big saying, so please if possible make thread with examples, pics or videos to prove your statement.

hace 2 minutos, saihtam dijo:

This is very bold and big saying, so please if possible make thread with examples, pics or videos to prove your statement.

What I'm saying is subjective of course, so I can't post proof that would convince you to think like me if you feel differently. I will be posting in the ME bugs forum shortly, so I guess you can follow my profile to see my posts if you are interested in what I have to say. 

1 minute ago, kidd_05_u2 said:

What I'm saying is subjective of course, so I can't post proof that would convince you to think like me if you feel differently. I will be posting in the ME bugs forum shortly, so I guess you can follow my profile to see my posts if you are interested in what I have to say. 

Every opinion is subjective here. Nothing we can say is a fact as we cant know what goes behind the AI as this will never be shown.

Nothing pointed at you but I really like if people take some time to discuss about issues etc. I really think on this forum there are lot of people who are helpful and up for to these discussion and see where is the root cause. People have different degree of understanding for the game so we all can learn from each other.

Had a bit more time with my save. 

I feel incredibly more involved this year with the club and for two new additions (and this keeping in mind that I don't usually play many seasons):

1) Club Vision: you are given clear objectives which really form the way you approach the club. You start thinking ahead. It's incredible. 

2) Contact promises: already while negotiating with a potential future star, you have to think ahead because he wants playing time 2 years from now. Can you envision this? Who do you have now, will they make way? Do you want this player to make way? Well you're already kinda committing to the new player. It makes you think ahead and somehow for me makes the whole experience better. 

You can also see the improvement of the 3D models during match. Nice moves and movements. Very smooth.

So far enjoying immensely. 

9 hours ago, Screwloose said:

The games is running like a dream, however, is anyone else having an issue with penalties? I've had 5 penalties and all have been saved. :)

Had 5 and scored five...

4 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

I take exception to that. Many of us are working today voluntarily, on a Sunday, because we care. We have a paid internal testing team and the game has been through a wider closed alpha testing phase. The game is released on 19th November. This period is the pre-release beta, where those that want an early look at the game kindly highlight issues that they come across so that we can investigate and resolve them before the full release. Your efforts here are greatly appreciated and we're very fortunate to have, and proud of, a community that work with us like very few others I have seen.

This is the feedback thread, for reporting bugs please use the Pre-Release Beta Bug Forum - https://community.sigames.com/forum/696-football-manager-2020-pre-release-beta-bug-forum/ - where we have a template and request saves/PKMs in order to give us the best possible chance of resolving your issue in the extremely tight turnaround time between the pre-release beta and the full release.

I'm sure most on the forums appreciate the work you guys do to make this game/series in and out of hours and the communication we get is beyond anything I've seen from any other game period. There's always going to be one or two that come along and well... yeah. 

Anyway, first season finished for me this evening and I'm very much enjoying the latest edition. Some feedback below:

+Smooth and fast going through the menu's
+Development centre is a really good addition, aids you in seeing how your best youth players are progressing
+ME is an improvement overall, FBs are more measured in their play and look to work an opening 
+More varied play in the ME too, players seem to take notice more of their roles and duty in the side
+GKs have seen a big improvement, some nice animations and more than once I've had my heads on my head after a ridiculously good save, the likes of peak De Gea would be proud of
+Movement up front seems to have been improved especially through the centre
+Youth Intake preview is cool
+Club vision, makes long term saves that little bit more interesting with clear aims and objectives from the board and feedback to see how you're getting on both in terms of the boardroom and the fans. 

As for some improvements to the game I'd say 1v1s need fine tuning, quite hard to score them and most of the time the player shoots straight at the GK. 

And then the cross field passing is a little too prevalent and a little too accurate. And long shots are pretty lethal. CBs take an extra second or two to react to a ball down the middle. 

Just a little fine tuning here and there I feel. Best beta release in the series imo. :thup:

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Relegation six pointer, win 1-0 due to scoring one on one that I had resigned myself to being missed.

Actually fist pumped.

Partner and dog both gave me a strange look.

What FM is all about, that joyous last minute goal to keep you up. 

Edited by craigcwwe

2 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

I'm sure most on the forums appreciate the work you guys do to make this game/series in and out of hours but there's always going to be one or two that come along and well... yeah.

We truly do.

Just it is inevitable that negative talk is more seen and louder. If people enjoy etc they come out less to talk about it, but with negative emotions people feel to lash out more.

Man, I'm getting really tired of the first time shots from miles out than fly in at 100 miles an hour. 

I'm managing at one of the lowest levels in the game (N Ireland 3rd division), and the football is mostly awful, which is well captured in this engine. However, I've just played a game which finished 3-1 to the opposition and all four goals were worldies outside the box. All hit first time, all with this new super powered velocity that I've never seen in previous versions. 

I really hope they get this fixed for release. The rest of the game is utterly fantastic. 

16 hours ago, saihtam said:

We truly do.

Just it is inevitable that negative talk is more seen and louder. If people enjoy etc they come out less to talk about it, but with negative emotions people feel to lash out more.

Yeah there's definitely a case of the people that are really enjoying the game are busy actually playing it and those that find a fault are quick to get behind the keyboard and lash out without a seconds thought. 

For the most part though this thread has been constructive feedback that the devs can see and potentially take a deeper look at but like I say, there's always one or two that have taken umbrage with something and come onto the forums to lash out. 

Edited by craigcwwe

En 3/11/2019 a las 18:13, saihtam dijo:

Every opinion is subjective here. Nothing we can say is a fact as we cant know what goes behind the AI as this will never be shown.

Nothing pointed at you but I really like if people take some time to discuss about issues etc. I really think on this forum there are lot of people who are helpful and up for to these discussion and see where is the root cause. People have different degree of understanding for the game so we all can learn from each other.

Fair. To sum up the things I feel are wrong with the ME: 

• Players with the ball make too many dribbling or passing decisions that don't make sense to me, and that is without considering the insane amount of long-range sideline to sideline passes. I have seen players leading a counter on one side, with space ahead and teammates supporting from the other side, dribble towards their touchline and facing defenders that should be out of the play entirely. Also, central midfielders with space and open teammates throwing long-range passes to nowhere.
  • Off the ball player positioning feels terrible pretty much all the time, in both attack and defense especially for wide players. Decisions on when to overlap and when to underlap feel random. Many times I've seen wide attacking players being open, a central midfielder about to pass them the ball, but the wide player suddenly runs inside towards a place full of defenders. The opposite happens as well, with a central midfielder turning to a side with space, and the wide midfielder stays hugging the touchline instead of trying to get nearer and look for the pass.
  • On defense, a lot of times the full back will run all the way towards the middle of the field to pick up someone with the ball despite a wide midfielder being much closer. When the fullback does that, the wide midfielder just stands still.
  • Defenders reacting to the ball are terrible. This has always been a problem, but in this ME they look much more passive. Because of this, the attacking players win the majority of crosses, though they rarely score. The majority of the time there is a player arriving late and getting behind the defense from the opposite side of the cross who is not picked up. I play a defensive 4-4-2, so it is not a tactical problem. I can see the player running into the area and defenders not marking anyone who should be picking up the attacker.
  • A bug that should not be hard to fix is that goalkeepers with ball in hand get pressured from too close, which shouldn't be allowed, and the GK then throws the ball away. In one match my GK was pressured six times, threw the ball away directly away in four of those times, and evaded the defender to make a pass in the other two.

These are things I have seen repeatedly and will provide evidence in the bug forum. I encourage everyone to watch matches in full and help highlight weird behavior 

Edited by kidd_05_u2

Couple of bugs I've found;

• In the "Go On Holiday" section, when you click in the arrow (next to August in my example below), the menu doesn't appear, it goes off straight away (you have to click & hold for it to show the list);

https://imgur.com/xH3d3PO

• Adding Manager Photo in the preferences works, but I've found when you quit the game and reload at a later date, I have to re-add the manager image in preferences again

• Score updates during the match tend to cut the away team off (in this example it's Everton), looks untidy; https://imgur.com/yEWNb7y

Edited by stevemc

On 01/11/2019 at 09:55, Dalglish said:

Didn't get to play much last night, but impressed with what I've seen so far.

One thing I'm struggling with is the manager model. I'm using the same picture as last year (which worked fine), however, every face I generate, makes me look like Gary Coleman with a shrunken head. I'm either doing something drastically wrong - or Si's redesigned manager models mentioned in the feature blogs are not an upgrade on last years offerings.

Is anyone else getting bad results - or is it just me?

No, I’m using the same picture as last year but can’t get anything approaching as good as last year. I look 🧟‍♂️ 

In the end, I had to click randomise a few hundred times to get a face a bit like me.

On 01/11/2019 at 09:58, luka_ said:

Signed Pogba for PSG and board says it's only a B- transfer which is weird. I think in RL they would consider it as A+ with his marketing value and the fact he is the star of the french national team who just came to play for the best team in France. 

You have seen Pogba play, right? 💩

Really enjoying the beta so far. I'll give an insight into my career so far and then talk about the only issue i've come across.

I usually start in the PL with a decent team so I can figure the game out, tactics etc but this year I thought i'd jump in to the deep end for a challenge. I started with the mighty Carlisle United to try and see if I can do better than we are irl (which let's be honest, wouldn't be hard). So, I was limited on funds yet had a squad which I felt could easily achieve what I was tasked with, mid table. Long term objectives were reach League 1 in 4-5 years so the lack of funds wasn't an issue.

The season started off up and down. Some good results, some bad results, some okay results. Then, it just got better. And better. And better. I done okay in the Carabao Cup and the EFL Cup and managed to get into the 4th round of the FA Cup where I got beat away to Spurs 3-2 having been 2-0 up (which was a big boost to the finances). In the league, things were going great and I managed to win the league by 20 odd points and losing just 4 games. I'm 5 games into the League One campaign and currently 2nd so it's so far so good!

In terms of the issue I mentioned, it's regarding player training when I right click on his name. When I select the position training for players it doesn't seem to do it because when I go into the training menu and into Units, it doesn't change. Apart from that, i'm not seeing any other issues. I'm not a huge fan of a few things but that's just because it's different but i'll soon adapt. It's been a smooth beta experience so far so thanks to Miles and the team for another great game that I can spend many hundreds of hours on throughout the year. 

Edit: There was another issue I noticed which i'm sure will be fixed. After one of the cup matches when I was answering a press conference, I did notice instead of the competition name being in the answer it was #comp3 or something like that.

Edited by ScottLow89

Anyone delegate sells for DoF? I interesting about issue where DoF sell player, but players unhappy for manager. But still DoF doesn't sell player which leaving could be a resonanse for my team :D 

The match engine is a difficult watch on Comprehensive. There are an average of 8-10 offsides per match, about twice as many as there should be, which you have to watch every single one and wastes at least 5 minutes of my time per match. Most of these offsides are stupid ones from fullbacks or hopeless punts in the vague direction a player clearly offside. This also highlights some weird behaviour from defensive lines, as they seem incapable of dealing with all the long punts where  there isn't an offside. This leads to a load of one on one opportunities where clearly the finishing ability on these has been toned down to keep the scores down.

Then there's also the crazy ping pong crossfield passes where wingers and full backs play one twos with each other across the width of the pitch. With these and the long balls over the top there seems to be a clear tendency for players to look to pass to a team mate in open space rather than try to pass through the more congested centre of the pitch, even if that player is 40-50 yards away.

42 minutes ago, stevemc said:

Couple of bugs I've found;

• In the "Go On Holiday" section, when you click in the arrow (next to August in my example below), the menu doesn't appear, it goes off straight away (you have to click & hold for it to show the list);

https://imgur.com/xH3d3PO

• Adding Manager Photo in the preferences works, but I've found when you quit the game and reload at a later date, I have to re-add the manager image in preferences again

• Score updates during the match tend to cut the away team off (in this example it's Everton), looks untidy; https://imgur.com/yEWNb7y

Log them in the relevant bug forums, if you haven't already.

The work done on goalkeepers is really appreciated - they no longer lose rating points for conceding goals they could do nothing about and regularly get 8+ ratings, which almost never happened unless they saved a pen or two before.  Just beat Watford 4-3 and Ben Foster deservedly got a 9 and MOTM for making 20 saves, many of which were brilliant (and the ME improvements here are fantastic, the saves look spectacular).  

I'm hoping once the 1 v 1 issue is fixed keeper ratings won't take a massive beating, though.  About 13 of those Foster saves are from one on ones :D

6 minutes ago, Tom8983 said:

I'd just like to know how much Scott McTominay paid SI to totally over power his stats!? This surely makes him one of the best ball winning midfielders in the game, which he most certainly is not! :lol::lol::lol:

Screenshot (1).png

Will make a great tutor one day too.

4 minutes ago, Tom8983 said:

I'd just like to know how much Scott McTominay paid SI to totally over power his stats!? This surely makes him one of the best ball winning midfielders in the game, which he most certainly is not! :lol::lol::lol:

Screenshot (1).png

I'd disagree tbh. I think his stats are fairly accurate. The guy is a hardworking midfielder who is a decent tackler, good in the air and average passing. I honestly think he's underrated irl. He is a great player in his role. Every team could benefit from a player like him.