Who do you think will win the world cup?

decapitated

Who do you think will win the world cup?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think would win the world cup?

• England
    • Belgium
    • Germany
    • Brazil
    • Argentina
    • France
    • Portugal
    • Spain
    • Russia
    • Nigeria
    • Uruguay
    • Peru
    • Colombia
    • Mexico
    • Egypt
    • Senegal
    • Poland
    • Switzerland
    • Denmark
    • Another option (please state in thread)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/06/18 at 10:40

Germany or Spain for me. Gun to my head I'd go with Germany though. France do a look fine side, fancy them to get to the Semis but just fall short, reckon they'll be a force to be reckoned with at the next Euros and World Cup though. I don't really rate that Brazil team's chances too highly, obviously Neymar having the likes of Firminho and Jesus alongside him is a hell of an upgrade, but again, I think their core team won't come into it's own and be real contenders for the tournament until 2022. 

Being based in Russia it'll most likely be a European side. Not sure I trust France, I'm not a big fan of Lopetegui and despite their euro triumph I don't think Portugal really have a good enough side so I'm going to plump for Germany.

Brazil haven't won it in Europe have they? My first thought is them, but then I do kind of pay attention to stuff like that. A country with that history not winning in Europe has something behind it. 

There's also the issue that Neymar hasnt played football for months, and they're a team that will be heavily reliant on their forwards. They remind me a lot of Liverpool actually, but with better defenders. Not a great midfield but three forwards that can win games regardless

Spain look a bit slow to me. Certainly the way football has moved more and more towards athleticism over slow possession. I'm looking for teams that have the quality but that can also run. I don't see Spain in that mould.

Germany - maybe. I can't remember how the draw works out tbh

3 hours ago, Astafjevs said:

Brazil haven't won it in Europe have they? My first thought is them, but then I do kind of pay attention to stuff like that. A country with that history not winning in Europe has something behind it. 

There's also the issue that Neymar hasnt played football for months, and they're a team that will be heavily reliant on their forwards. They remind me a lot of Liverpool actually, but with better defenders. Not a great midfield but three forwards that can win games regardless

Brazil won in Sweden in 1958.

I don't think the fact it's in Europe will matter either way.

--

I think Spain will win this time. Or France.

I would put my money on France, got a great team there. 

My instinct would say Germany but they have a few people out of form and some important players aren't getting any younger.

No way in hell Belgium are going to win it btw, as a belgian myself alot of local media have their hopes up high. But the team lacks experience on big tournaments and we have no width in defence.

Uruguay is potentially very dangerous, imo.

Brazil looks like the best team atm, with Germany and Spain being right behind them. France is in the mix, too.

Messi and Ronaldo will need Maradona-level WC performance to drag their squads anywhere near the finals.

17 hours ago, Divinity said:

Germany. Would like to see Argentina do it but they look weak atm.

No chance anyone outside Europe or Brazil gets to the semis.

As someone living outside of Europe/Brazil I want so badly to tell you that you're wrong but I can't because it's too true...

Think the only "underdog" with a chance to sneak into the semis is Poland, I really do rate them after their strong showing in the Qualifiers and at the Euros.

I personally think Brazil will win this world cup. Germany, Spain, France and Argentina can happen too. England, Belgium and Portugal should reach QF.

Egypt, Denmark and Iceland are my dark horses. Japan can reach the QF too. Draws and penalties can make strange things happen in knock-outs. For example Costa Rica almost got to the semis in Brazil.

For me Spain and Germany are still the only two teams that combine a massively deep pool of talents, with an extraordinarily well gelled core group - clear playing style and players that know each other instinctively (thanks to the years they've played together for the national team, plus at club level the Barça core, Bayern core, who've played together every week at the very highest level for years). I don't rate either manager (should go without saying after watching Lopetegui manage my club) but it's true, they've got conditions that nobody else can replicate. I voted Spain.

France and Brazil got a real chance too though, the French nowadays have got the same pool of talent only lacking the same level of interpersonal understanding as of yet; whilst Brazil seems to have turned a page post the 2014 fiasco and are starting to play together as a team.

Next on my list of favs (and from here onwards I don't think any of these teams are gonna win it), Belgium have become increasingly dangerous under Martinez and are starting to exploit their potential; and Argentina who are yet to click under Sampaoli, but I rate Sampaoli immensely for his work with Chile to make them an incredible unit not too unlike Germany/Spain just with less talent - with a couple of weeks to train together pre-tournament perhaps Argentina can finally take a step forward.

As joint 7th favs I'd put us (Portugal) and England. I think Portugal are being a little underrated here, sure the Euro win was massively fortunate, and might even be a bad example for future tournaments like this, as I'm skeptical our overly cautious style of play is ideal. And we have a serious problem at centre-back with slow aging players. But our talent is not being properly recognised, this new generation is not Spain/France/Germany level but still genuinely rather talented, this team is no longer Ronaldo plus 10 randoms as it was 4 years ago. England have some serious flaws that should also prevent them from winning things, but like Portugal have a series of young hungry players plus the benefit of expectations now actually being low.

All others have **** all chances of winning it, maybe next I'd put Croatia with their quality midfield and a couple of other good players, Uruguay, Colombia, Mexico, Poland have decent sides and a little luck and they could get past 1 or 2 more rounds than expected; but I'm finding it very hard to get excited about any underdogs and their chances this tournament. I guess it's fun to see teams like Egypt and Peru get back to a World Cup, or Iceland for the first time, but a proper run from any of the remaining teams to like, a semi-final... nah, could happen but I'm struggling to imagine it.

13 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Argentina who are yet to click under Sampaoli, but I rate Sampaoli immensely for his work with Chile to make them an incredible unit not too unlike Germany/Spain just with less talent - with a couple of weeks to train together pre-tournament perhaps Argentina can finally take a step forward.

For me, he's one of those coaches that doesn't know how to adapt to his players.
Chile did amazingly well because most of their players were at their best when they have to run like madmen and play a physically-oriented game. Especially the midfield with Vidal, Medel, Aranguiz and co.

With Argentina, things are completely different and he looks lost and unable to create a possession-based game which would suit them the best.
He even tried some ridiculous stuff like 3-4-3 with Di Maria as the wingback.
And then in the end it comes down to Messi because their plan is purely based on getting him the ball and hoping for the best.

Croatia with their quality midfield and a couple of other good players

The squad is actually great on paper. Midfield is stacked, Mandžukić and Perišić are well-proven players with Kramarić and Rebić having amazing Bundesliga seasons.
Solid defense except for LB position.
But then we come to the FA situation and country being extremely divided on the NT matter.
If there was an atmosphere from the 90s/00s with this squad where every player played better in NT than with their clubs, I'd say even semis wouldn't be that far away.
Like this, even getting out of the group will be a feat, especially with half of the nation openly cheering against the team.

Not good for Brazil when so many people expect the team to win, we tend to do better when people don't expect much from us (1962 is the only exception).

3 hours ago, PMLF said:

Not good for Brazil when so many people expect the team to win, we tend to do better when people don't expect much from us (1962 is the only exception).

Well this is hardly 1998 or 2006 when Brazil were the heavy favourites. There's cautious optimism but Brazil are voted 4th favs in this poll at the moment! Behind Germany, France and Spain!

33 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Well this is hardly 1998 or 2006 when Brazil were the heavy favourites. There's cautious optimism but Brazil are voted 4th favs in this poll at the moment! Behind Germany, France and Spain!

Maybe this is a sign we won't even reach the semis, rather than just not winning the title. :D 

On 21/05/2018 at 07:47, Divinity said:

Germany. Would like to see Argentina do it but they look weak atm.

No chance anyone outside Europe or Brazil gets to the semis.

I didn't rate the Argentina team 4 years ago and they made the final! No reason they can't do it again, they have the best player in the world (well, top 3). 

Likewise, Egypt could get far based entirely on the exploits of Mo Salah. 10 men defending and let Mo run behind from long balls, you know it could get them far.

Outside of those two, I do agree it's likely to be Brazil or a European team, but then I've accounted for around 50% of the teams now so that's not at all surprising :D

I've gone for France. Despite leaving some big names out of their squad, they've got a cracking side and I think their time is coming. Although I'd love Messi to do it to get one over on Ronaldo and prove himself as the outright GOAT.

Spain for me. Just all round options all over their team. De Gea is a god of a goalkeeper right now, back four of Carvajal/Ramos/Pique/Alba still top class with depth there. Midfield options just a joke and can retain the possession of a game and up and slow the speed when they can, whilst having different options in the final third from Asensio to your Costa. Still the nation to beat, just been clouded that view because Del Bosque stayed longer then he should have when it was clear they needed fresh ideas and the new guy has injected that. 

Diego Costa isn't very good for Spain. I think leaving Morata is a problem if they're hoping Diego Costa will actually start playing well for them.

That and the fact they're a team that hasn't moved on with the increasing athleticism of football for me means they won't win it. They'll get overrun by a side with pace and decent quality

1 hour ago, Nordan said:

I think Brazil, but they possibly need a Neymar in form to win.

He should at least be less tired than other players, if he returns well from his injury.

I think we lack really decisive players in our squad, bar Neymar.

Is Neuer likely to miss out? If he's not 100 percent fit I think he could potentially be the difference between Germany winning it and losing in the Semi/Final. Assume Ter-Stergen is 2nd choice, he's still good but if it's a Spain/Germany Semi, you want Neuer in goal when the other keeper is the only keeper in the world potentially better than him on his best day. 

I'm not feeling Brazil really at all. Something missing from their side for me and i'm not sure what. Neymar will take time to get up and running and that midfield is a but meh for me. When compared with Germany or Spains.

I voted Germany but now leaning more to Spain

Archived