Match 21: England vs Scotland - 8pm (BST) ITV1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY

Coulthard's Jaw

2 minutes ago, arenaross said:

He's got to just pick one of Phillips or Rice. Madness to be having them both there passing sideways to each other. 

Against Croatia it showed it can work against certain teams, but against anyone who's going to play anything resembling a low block one of them needs to be benched.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too late to bring Ward-Prowse in and click the 'Play for Set-pieces' button?

They've got Mings, Stones, DCL, Rice, start White at WB to get another one in there, and you've got a lot of aerial presence. As opposed to the current mopey teenager presence.

2 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

Find it so frustrating that Sterling is getting the bulk of the criticism. He was the only one making good runs in the box towards the end. He stays on because his movement is exceptional, and the likes of Kane, Foden, Mount, Grealish etc should have enough quality on the ball to offset his weaker technical ability.

His runs were great. Just a shame that every time he got the ball Scotland had it a few seconds later 

1 minute ago, ryan045 said:

Bad game, but I wouldn’t rush to much to change things. We’re still sitting nice on 4 points.

Did you watch that performance? Wouldn't change much?

:idiot:

Grealish is far better starting than being used as an impact sub. Foden should never have been taken off and Kane needs to be dropped.

Just now, Mr Adam said:

His runs were great. Just a shame that every time he got the ball Scotland had it a few seconds later 

well yeah, he was poor in possession. But he stays on because we don't have any other forward as good as him off of the ball.

Just now, Pukey said:

Against Croatia it showed it can work against certain teams, but against anyone who's going to play anything resembling a low block one of them needs to be benched.

Croatia weren't expecting Phillips to be, at times, the most offensive midfielder. The "cat was out of the bag" in this game though.

1 minute ago, Pukey said:

Kane was still absolutely horrific, regardless of service (which, yeah, was dreadful too.)

Rashford actually started moving the defenders about. They had to do more than just walk after him

Play a couple of progressive passing midfielders behind him and you might be onto something

3 minutes ago, cyclonus1010 said:

He is amazing, Baptista quoted him last night, "as cool as the other side of the pillow"

I'd have him replace Jeff Stelling on Soccer Saturday, Jeff has some of him quipps fed to him, McCoist wouldn't need anyone :D 

To be fair I love McCoist. Humble and always positive, what a guy

That dopey **** hasnt brought enough midfielders and is pretty much forced into playing Phillips and Rice :D Unless we go..

Pickford

Walker--Maguire(*)--Stones

James--Phillips--Mount--Chilwell

Foden--Kane--Sterling

or 4-4-2...

Pickford

James--Maguire(*)--Stones--Shaw

Foden--Phillips--Mount--Rashford

Kane--Calvert Lewin

Maybe I'm being harsh on Sterling as he did make a few good runs but failed to control the ball any time someone tried to find him, which wasn't very often. I'd still have taken him off for either Rashford or Sancho. Once Rashford came on him and sterling almost collided running into the same space on the right.

Christoph Kramer ripping into England. Chaotic defending, no attacking ideas, hoofball, no individual player standing up, basically lucky to get a point because they were never going to score. 

Ouch :D  

Just now, av3ry said:

That dopey **** hasnt brought enough midfielders and is pretty much forced into playing Phillips and Rice :D Unless we go..

Pickford

Foden--Kane--Sterling

or 4-4-2...

Pickford

Kane--Calvert Lewin

Don't see them going three at the back

Just now, cyclonus1010 said:

Croatia weren't expecting Phillips to be, at times, the most offensive midfielder. The "cat was out of the bag" in this game though.

They also weren't playing a low block, so Phillips' pressing didn't have any real positive impact as Scotland just bypassed it by playing long. Really don't know how he didn't figure out this was an issue and leave Foden on, and take off Rice or Phillips for Grealish.

6 minutes ago, cyclonus1010 said:

He wasn't nullified he was playing a holding role, like has been common under Southgate. Croatia was an exception, not the rule. 

1 minute ago, ginnybob said:

Also need to echo the love for McCoist. Genuinely the best co-commentator around. Good insights, loves the game, throws in some comedy. Needs to be the lead Co commentator. 

He was like a proud parent. So proud of his boys out there. 

Just now, Pukey said:

They also weren't playing a low block, so Phillips' pressing didn't have any real positive impact as Scotland just bypassed it by playing long. Really don't know how he didn't figure out this was an issue and leave Foden on, and take off Rice or Phillips for Grealish.

That's the drawback with Southgate, he's always going to be cautious.

I guess he felt that a draw was fine and it wasn't worth risking going for a win. In all fairness, England's best players didn't really show up and I'm not sure how much of that is actually on Southgate. 

• Administrators

Absolutely terrible by England. Grealish comes on and can't effect the game. We need to change the way we're set up. 

But as I said before in the England thread, I can't see Gareth dropping Sterling, and so probably not Kane either.

Scotland deserved to win that I think, they just wanted it more. Robbo, Gilmour were outstanding, Dykes unlucky not to nick a goal.

England all but through now, but I can't work out what the third place team ends up in. 

3 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

Find it so frustrating that Sterling is getting the bulk of the criticism. He was the only one making good runs in the box towards the end. He stays on because his movement is exceptional, and the likes of Kane, Foden, Mount, Grealish etc should have enough quality on the ball to offset his weaker technical ability.

He was lazier than Kane for the first hour, which is inexcusable for a guy who's picked mainly for his movement. Hardly surprising he was the one with a bit of energy left to dribble into opponents at the end.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Bigwig said:

Kane constantly dropping back into the space that Mount, Foden and Sterling occupy. 

I think this is a tactical thing with Kane, drop into space for Sterling to get in behind. I think if you're going to drop one, you need to drop both and change the way you play.

Just now, Pukey said:

Its southgate, when does he ever take off 1 of his 2 holders? He's the dullest and most boring manager at the tournament. People keep posting these adventurous lineups like we dont already have 4 years of Southgate to know better. We all know it'll be Rice/Phillips again on Tuesday and we know Kane and Sterling will both start.

Just now, enigmatic said:

He was lazier than Kane for the first hour, which is inexcusable for a guy who's picked mainly for his movement. Hardly surprising he was the one with a bit of energy left to dribble into opponents at the end.

was he though? I don't think this is fair at all

2 minutes ago, Wiggins Top Boys said:

I'm not saying STV are getting carried away but they've called this a victory at least twice in the last few minutes...

Scotland were brilliant, and it’s more than just effort etc - they played really well.

But they haven’t scored yet this tournament 

3 minutes ago, av3ry said:

Pickford

Foden--Kane--Sterling

or 4-4-2...

Pickford

Kane--Calvert Lewin

Still have Henderson (if fit) and Bellingham (who I'd play against Czech Rep).

1 minute ago, Astafjevs said:

Any danger that England throw their last game and play for the draw to finish in 2nd

Giving how well Czechs have pressed in their two games, just a normal game from us will see us only get a draw at best :D 

Henderson/Maguire start next game just for the fact they have to get minutes, otherwise they’re not featuring for the whole tournament and their social involvement is pointless. Probably see Grealish over Foden, as Foden on a booking. And the full backs changed yet again, maybe Trippier RB and Chilwell LB. 

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

I think this is a tactical thing with Kane, drop into space for Sterling to get in behind. I think if you're going to drop one, you need to drop both and change the way you play.

I could see that working better in a 4-3-3 where he’s dropping into space, but at the moment he’s dropping on top of his own players and just congesting the area. 

3 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Any danger that England throw their last game and play for the draw to finish in 2nd

0-0 is absolutely nailed on.  Qualifies us both in 1st-2nd whatever happens in the other game.  Let the Czechs face Portugal/Germany/France and we can go and play Sweden or Slovakia or someone.  Gareth's played a blinder.

5 minutes ago, CMOZZA said:

Did you watch that performance? Wouldn't change much?

:idiot:

Grealish is far better starting than being used as an impact sub. Foden should never have been taken off and Kane needs to be dropped.

I would keep Kane, he’s still our best striker. I’d try 1 DM + Mount vs Czech and see how the turns out. That gives a space for Grealish/Sancho to make us more fluid.

Just now, Bigwig said:

I could see that working better in a 4-3-3 where he’s dropping into space, but at the moment he’s dropping on top of his own players and just congesting the area. 

We're are congested in the area just outside and around the box anyway, it has to be tactical and it's bloody awful

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I think it's a fitness thing too. Kane can't constantly run in behind with those ankles