Match 21: England vs Scotland - 8pm (BST) ITV1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY

Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thing with Kane dropping deep is all well and good but all too often we are left with someone getting to the edge of the box and there being literally nobody to cross it into, or maybe one midfielder has just about got there but there are like 4-5 defenders and they are impossible to pick out, so we end up just playing it back and the defence is organised again.

If you're going to have a centre forward who drops deep you need a much better system for getting other players into the box, or you need Kane to be much faster at getting back up to the top of the field again once he's passed it out wide, which he doesn't seem capable of at the moment.

1 minute ago, Mr Adam said:

My ratings. This might be harsh. I’m drunk

Pickford - 7 - our MoM

James - 6

Mings - 6

Stones - 5

Shaw - 5

Rice - 5

Phillips - 5

Mount - 5

Sterling - 5

Foden - 6

Kane - 4

Grealish - 6

Thought Stones played well tbh, some good blocks in important moments. But hardly earth shattering when your centre back is one of your best players against Scotland.

1 minute ago, Marc Albrighton said:

Its southgate, when does he ever take off 1 of his 2 holders? He's the dullest and most boring manager at the tournament. People keep posting these adventurous lineups like we dont already have 4 years of Southgate to know better. We all know it'll be Rice/Phillips again on Tuesday and we know Kane and Sterling will both start.

To be fair it might not be Rice/Phillips on Tuesday. Henderson might be fit and it will be Rice/Henderson which is marginally better. I was actually massive surprised Henderson didn't get onto the pitch tonight maybe he isn't going to fit enough to actually play a game and Southgate has ****ed the squad selection by not bringing enough midfielders.

1 minute ago, ryan045 said:

I would keep Kane, he’s still our best striker. I’d try 1 DM + Mount vs Czech and see how the turns out. That gives a space for Grealish/Sancho to make us more fluid.

Kane is no one's best striker playing the way that he has the last two games. Barely even a player, let alone a striker. Needs a kick up the arse to know he can't just stroll around the pitch at a major tournament. Embarrassment.

Id love to see a proper MNF analysis of that game from Neville, because the amounts I saw Foden and Sterling making runs into space, and either the defender or the middle 2 on the ball, just made a sideward or backwards pass, was embarrassing 

2 minutes ago, Pukey said:

We finish 2nd we likely end up with France in the Quarters, it's completely pointless just for an "easier" round of 16 draw.

We have no easy draw. If we want to win we have to play the top teams eventually anyway. This whole finish 2nd for an easier draw is a myth.

1 minute ago, Katarian said:

To be fair it might not be Rice/Phillips on Tuesday. Henderson might be fit and it will be Rice/Henderson which is marginally better. I was actually massive surprised Henderson didn't get onto the pitch tonight maybe he isn't going to fit enough to actually play a game and Southgate has ****ed the squad selection by not bringing enough midfielders.

Well whatever the combination, the point is it will be 2 holders and a far from positive team and i think everyone said he ****ed up with the midfielders, 4 right backs when we dont have any midfielders and our best DM not played for 4 months. The guy is a fraud.

5 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

0-0 is absolutely nailed on.  Qualifies us both in 1st-2nd whatever happens in the other game.  Let the Czechs face Portugal/Germany/France and we can go and play Sweden or Slovakia or someone.  Gareth's played a blinder.

I can see him changing the XI to throw it. 2nd place does mean more travel and maybe France in the QF

6 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

0-0 is absolutely nailed on.  Qualifies us both in 1st-2nd whatever happens in the other game.  Let the Czechs face Portugal/Germany/France and we can go and play Sweden or Slovakia or someone.  Gareth's played a blinder.

It is homecoming.

Southgate going to drop himself - hang on. It’s the teams inexperience that caused that? Why haven’t we had more games against those teams then? Inexperience. Foden was our best attacker ffs

Edited by JJ72

6 minutes ago, Pukey said:

We finish 2nd we likely end up with France in the Quarters, it's completely pointless just for an "easier" round of 16 draw.

Based on what?  If Portugal beat Germany and Portugal and France draw then Portugal could easily top that group on goal difference.

Then on another day Portugal are easily fragile enough to implode against a 3rd place team in the R16 and we get a R16 and a QF game where we are big favourites.

We are in a great position now where we can wait for a few more games to play out and then go for a win if we want to be in one half of the draw or play out a 0-0 if we want to be in the other.  If we don't attack the Czechs they will absolutely settle for a draw as well because they know they will finish 1st/2nd as long as they avoid defeat and neither Croatia or Czechs will be able to catch them.

Edited by Rob1981

4 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Id love to see a proper MNF analysis of that game from Neville, because the amounts I saw Foden and Sterling making runs into space, and either the defender or the middle 2 on the ball, just made a sideward or backwards pass, was embarrassing 

You can tell he wanted to go into a rant style, but can’t because it’s ITV.

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

Based on what?  If Portugal beat Germany and Portugal and France draw then Portugal could easily top that group on goal difference.

Then on another day Portugal are easily fragile enough to implode against a 3rd place team in the R16.

We are in a great position now where we can wait for a few more games to play out and then go for a win if we want to be in one half of the draw or play out a 0-0 if we want to be in the other.  If we don't attack the Czechs they will absolutely settle for a draw as well because they know they will finish 1st/2nd as long as they avoid defeat and neither Croatia or Czechs will be able to catch them.

Or lose if we perform like that again. 

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

Then on another day Portugal are easily fragile enough to implode against a 3rd place team in the R16 and we get a R16 and a QF game where we are big favourites.

Based on France being comfortably the best team in that group and very likely winning it. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

He’s managed to keep the champions league winning left back as third choice as well

I mean the fact that someone's won the CL can mean absolutely nothing. I'd rather people talk about his ability in particular, and he is fantastic going forward, our most composed LB for sure.

Edited by Baptista_8

2 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

It's funny you think England is in that much control of whether they win or lose.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

If we don't attack the Czechs they will absolutely settle for a draw as well because they know they will finish 1st/2nd as long as they avoid defeat and neither Croatia or Czechs will be able to catch them.

Might want to czech that again... 

But yeah our last game is probably not going to be that huge as both sides almost certainly through. More interesting for me is who will start and play. I would like to see Bellingham and Sancho start. 

Just now, Baptista_8 said:

I mean the fact that someone's won the CL can mean absolutely nothing I'd rather people talk about his ability generally, and he is fantastic going forward, our most composed LB for sure.

It was in response to southgate saying we have players that aren’t used to playing in high intensity games 

Just now, Baptista_8 said:

I mean the fact that someone's won the CL can mean absolutely nothing I'd rather people talk about his ability generally, and he is fantastic going forward, our most composed LB for sure.

Wouldn't surprise me if he changed the full backs again next game. Not sure he has a clue what he wants there.

England might be in the situation that after Monday's games, we already know that we're through whatever happens (at this point we can't finish any lower than 3rd in the group, and 2 teams may end up on 3 points in 3rd in the Groups A/B/C). We can go as adventurous as we like then to see if we can work out a better way of playing. If he's worried about starting Bellingham because he's 17 it won't matter in that game, so do it. Can test Maguire's fitness too. Heck try a fluid front 3 with a False 9.

Just now, Barry Cartman said:

Not sure what the point off putting Saka on the bench is if you're not going to bring him on for either Shaw or Sterling when you want a goal 

Saka wasn’t on the bench tonight. Him, White and Walker were the 3 to miss out.