your 5 favourite attributes for a player

36 minutes ago, swansongs said:

Pressure is a separate hidden attribute from Important Matches.

Do you know what, in all my time playing never knew there was such an attribute.

Totally off-topic I guess, but what does it affect and how is it displayed in a scout report?

1 hour ago, davehanson said:

What do you mean by pressure? Important matches?

28 minutes ago, davehanson said:

Do you know what, in all my time playing never knew there was such an attribute.

Totally off-topic I guess, but what does it affect and how is it displayed in a scout report?

There are lots of "hidden" attributes.  You won't see values for them in game but if you read your coach reports or scout reports they may allude to them in the text.  For example: "He handles pressure well"; "the player lacks consistency"; "the player is prone to injury"; "he is very ambitious" and so on.

I personally value consistency and pressure so highly because they affect how consistently players can apply their attributes during matches and how they handle the pressure of different situations.  They are attributes which modify the application of other more visible attributes.  So a consistent striker will be able to utilise their Finishing attribute on a more regular basis.  Likewise a striker who can handle pressure well will thrive in the high pressure environment of the 6 yard box, perhaps keeping his head better and not panicking to get away that all important shot.  They affect more than just strikers of course, those are just examples.

42 minutes ago, davehanson said:

Pressure is the measure of how well a player deals with things like media scrutiny (like a striker during a goal drought), the fans/manager's expectations, the final few games of a title challenging season, stepping up for an important penalty etc. Applies both during matches and in the days leading up to one. Keep an eye on your player's body language.

Important Matches is a more static attribute that impacts whether a player will "show up" on a big day, Pressure is a more generalised attribute that should develop over time (hopefully in a positive way, but you never know).

2 hours ago, anagain said:

I often play at a low level. If they can kick a ball I'm happy.

I love me a bit of workrate though. 

Kick ball hard, run fast, and jump high, and you shall lead us to promotion my children.

14 hours ago, davehanson said:

you can estimate the range of the pressure attribute from their personality and media handling style. Kindly refer to personality and media handling guides on the internet. Another thing to look at is their body language during matches. Someone that is often nervous or apprehensive is very likely to have low pressure attribute.

I can only speak about the visible attributes:

1. Determination - The first thing I look in a player. Habbit for a long time

2. Natural Fitness - Same. A player below 10 I just don't even bother with. 

3. Anticipation - I love intelligent players

4. Decisions - Same

5. Work Rate - Gotta be smart, but gotta work hard as well. 

Honorable mentions:

- Technique

- Flair 

- Vision (only when paired with good passing)

Surprised no one listed Aggression.

This reflects a player’s attitude in terms of playing mentality but is not necessarily a dirtiness indicator. A more aggressive player will look to involve himself in every incident, press more often, tackle harder, foul more often, and engage in the ‘darker arts’ of football such as dissent towards officials and foul play.

Am I the only one that likes a bunch of bastards? :D

10 minutes ago, Impacto said:

I can only speak about the visible attributes:

1. Determination - The first thing I look in a player. Habbit for a long time

2. Natural Fitness - Same. A player below 10 I just don't even bother with. 

3. Anticipation - I love intelligent players

4. Decisions - Same

5. Work Rate - Gotta be smart, but gotta work hard as well. 

This but instead of number 2 I would have...

Composure - I want a player to be comfortable on the ball as I play a passing, slow tempo game keeping possession. 

2 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

Surprised no one listed Aggression.

Am I the only one that likes a bunch of bastards? :D

Absolutely not each team needs at least one:seagull:

Aggression is top of my list with workrate for my CM/DM and 3rd for my CB, as i said in my last post, for me its very positional dependant, but the middle of the park has to have a lot of bite.

Green ones 😂

boring answer it depends what position and type of player it is. 

fun answer. A striker who actually has above 15 penalty taking attribute.

Flair 20 😍

influence being 15+

determination as I’ve come to learn is kinda important. 

Vision. Love my creative players 

I don't look at attributes, i look for personalilites.

I need me a 4-6 different types of characters in my team:

1. The party boy - play hard and party hard
2. The professional - yes sir, write your name into the history books and get lots of awards
3. The young rookie - arrogant with a lot of talk but he can produce when it matters on the pitch
4. The player with a chip on his shoulder - Has a point to prove and hates a lot of people.
5. The thoroughbred - He came through the academy and is 100% my boy!
6. The dreamer - his dream is to play for another club which is his home-town team (for example R.Madrid) but he will use my club as a stepping stone towards achieving that dream.

All the above when trained correctly, sold or bought at the correct time and given enough game time will help me win trophies. 

I am curious about how you all arrived at your answers. I don't mean, "decisions are great because the player will more effectively use their attributes" or something like that. Instead, what I mean is how did you infer that "decisions are great because..."?

Is it from watching the games? ("Ooooh, that was a good decision right there.")

Inferring from player performance? ("Why is he so fast yet sucks so hard? Must be the poor decisions.")

Miles, Rashidi, and/or Zealand told you it was so?

I am asking because I've always had a hard time judging the mental attributes and separating the signal from the noise. I know that they are important, and I look for them when buying players, but it's hard to judge how much they matter relative to other attributes. 

2 minutes ago, Domathon said:

edit: so interesting to see that many players value decisions so highly as well 

No good having a good player that choses to blast the ball from 40 yards rather than play in a team mate :D

Decision does not matter if the Player cant go in time where the decisonmaking is needed.

For every player aside of the GK and a few of the midfielders speed is very crucial!

Bcs it is better to be able to make sometimes the wrong decision than to never get involved in decisionmaking for a lack of speed.

Acceleration

Pace

Tackling

Passing

Finishing

Edited by Etebaer

14 minutes ago, Etebaer said:

Decision does not matter if the Player cant go in time where the decisonmaking is needed.

So he needs to be on the bench. Otherwise, he'll need to make decisions.

31 minutes ago, Domathon said:

guys please only 5 of the main attributes no hidden stats etc, thanks :)

Hidden or not, your thread mentioned attributes. Stats aren't hidden and your post, you didn't want stats, but rather attributes. Wording is important.  :brock:

4 hours ago, fivetwelvepony said:

I am curious about how you all arrived at your answers. I don't mean, "decisions are great because the player will more effectively use their attributes" or something like that. Instead, what I mean is how did you infer that "decisions are great because..."?

Is it from watching the games? ("Ooooh, that was a good decision right there.")

Inferring from player performance? ("Why is he so fast yet sucks so hard? Must be the poor decisions.")

Miles, Rashidi, and/or Zealand told you it was so?

I am asking because I've always had a hard time judging the mental attributes and separating the signal from the noise. I know that they are important, and I look for them when buying players, but it's hard to judge how much they matter relative to other attributes. 

Some of it may come down to "DNA".  That is having a common theme running throughout your squad, creating an identity as it were.  This should ideally be fairly limited - perhaps 3 or 4 common attributes throughout  So for example if you want to create a gegenpressing side, you may value Aggression, Workrate and Stamina.  Of course different people will have different ideas, but that's the general principle.

After that you can break it down further by position / role.  So you now have an entire team with good Aggression, Workrate and Stamina but perhaps you want to add in good off the ball, finishing and composure for you striker.  Or make sure your inside forward has great dribbling, balance and agility.  And so on.

You may not even want to have a "DNA" and instead focus purely on each individual player.  It's really up to you and what you want from your players.

Also, who's Zealand?