Football Manager 2020 Pre-Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

51 minutes ago, Andrew_Goats_Gruff said:

A.i accurate long balls, one v one situation three times a game... deep defensively line can’t even stop it. 

I genuinely can’t even be bothered for games this year.

Fifa is the exact same but with pace abuse.

Pes, dribbling and long shots are next to broken.

FM, still seeing long balls where your defence doesn’t go towards it but the a.i striker from 20 yards gets their, same bug as the one from 10 years ago.

I can’t be bothered to waste my time this year.

Im so agree with you , the long balls over the defense is so frustrating

+ OP counter attacks and pretty stupid mistakes with the whole defense

Buy SI have great team and its the the beta , im sure they will fix this

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read the feedback of many people that have posted and can share some similar thoughts. 

I fully agree that the wingers/Inverted Wingers not inside forwards sit extremely narrow. On top of this they seem to rarely cross the ball even with the tactics to have them cross often and work the ball into the box. This was not the case in FM19 where they seemed to understand their role was to play it in to the striker(s) and if they had an opportunity to score they would shoot but I've had many situations where my wingers win the ball back from the right/left back and they have an opportunity to play a simple pass into the striker which would have resulted in a tap in goal but instead the wingers decide to take it first time and try to bang it in from an extremely acute angle. 

Players that are through onto goal seem to be extremely bad I'm not sure if it's a small sample size but a lot of times what happens is that they attempt an extremely poor chip or simply just take it first time and bang it into narnia from the edge of the box or outside the box instead of dribbling it forward and getting a better shot or chance of finishing it. It seems that I score more goals from 30 yard screamers than absolute sitters so far. I'm playing with Barcelona as well so it's not like my players have poor finishing/composure etc. 

I just wanted to emphasize these 2 key points as I've seen many people experience this. I understand this is beta and thank you guys for developing such a sick game. 

PS. On another note I love how silky smooth and fast FM20 runs it's like butter. 

Edited by dominoes012

i dont know if it could be considered broken but i am managing arsenal, in the summer transfer window you only have 10M of transfer budget, so i asked the board to buy vinicious jr and they did in 75M, then in december i asked them to buy me belloti bc auba was getting  jaded and i had no subs for him ( am playing with two forwards with laca) and they did it in 33M, and then after i bought a couple players myself in the winter transfer window and wasted all the 60M budget they gave me, again i asked the board to buy moussa dembele and they did it in 48M, i did a few transfers with 12 monthly installments in the next 2 years, but still in total with summer and winter transfer windows arsenal invested 428M total, my transfers plus the board transfers its 274M total. could this be a bug? ... or i have now a suggar daddy board?

any way i was planning to play with a 4-1-2-2-1 but with the addition of vinicious at the start of the season i just went yolo and played 424 trying to emulate brazil 62' with vinicious jr AML IF/s, auba CFL PF/A, laca CFR DLF/S and pepe as AMR IF/s ... playing like that i was 2nd in the league after man city ... i was kinda surprised that the board bought me belloti and dembelle after i got a few players myself, could this be only bc am doing fine in the league or is it a bug?

Edited by kertiek

1 hour ago, dominoes012 said:

I've read the feedback of many people that have posted and can share some similar thoughts. 

I fully agree that the wingers/Inverted Wingers not inside forwards sit extremely narrow. 

Regarding AML/AMR staying too narrow issue, this seems to be by design rather than a bug since it's been present since previous FM versions and hasn't been charged even after requests from the community. ME team clearly thinks it's not needed. 

As for real life, several teams play their wide attackers high and wide in the final third. Man City is the prime example. You don't need to look far. Many other teams play this way, it's nothing new. Secondly, what is the point of having 6-7 different roles for wide positions and hard-coding all of them to stay narrow in the final third? I was excited to see IW role added to AML/AMR positions this year but after playing the beta, I am disappointed to see I still can't instruct my wide attackers to stretch the pitch in the final third. 

Edited by pats

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, Whatawaster95 said:

Really enjoying the beta but seems like this hasn't been fixed at all, used to get it few times a season in FM19 and looks like same again this year. 

A session of training is taken up with the players travelling a day before a home game. Not a big deal but pretty annoying. 

20191102002551_1.jpg

Post here please - https://community.sigames.com/forum/715-training-medical-and-development-centre/

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, kertiek said:

i dont know if it could be considered broken but i am managing arsenal, in the summer transfer window you only have 10M of transfer budget, so i asked the board to buy vinicious jr and they did in 75M, then in december i asked them to buy me belloti bc auba was getting  jaded and i had no subs for him ( am playing with two forwards with laca) and they did it in 33M, and then after i bought a couple players myself in the winter transfer window and wasted all the 60M budget they gave me, again i asked the board to buy moussa dembele and they did it in 48M, i did a few transfers with 12 monthly installments in the next 2 years, but still in total with summer and winter transfer windows arsenal invested 428M total, my transfers plus the board transfers its 274M total. could this be a bug? ... or i have now a suggar daddy board?

any way i was planning to play with a 4-1-2-2-1 but with the addition of vinicious at the start of the season i just went yolo and played 424 trying to emulate brazil 62' with vinicious jr AML IF/s, auba CFL PF/A, laca CFR DLF/S and pepe as AMR IF/s ... playing like that i was 2nd in the league after man city ... i was kinda surprised that the board bought me belloti and dembelle after i got a few players myself, could this be only bc am doing fine in the league or is it a bug?

Would be worth raising your examples, with saves, here please - https://community.sigames.com/forum/712-transfers-contracts-scouting-and-staff-responsibilities/

7 hours ago, Minuy600 said:

More good news which i'm amazingly grateful for: Most, if not all African and North American leagues have now been added to the database unactivated. Which means no more ID clashing and reputation guessing for the most part when the full game's out. Thank you so much guys, that's gonna be awesome :D

EDIT: Mayotte, Wallis & Futuna, the Comoros and Saint Pierre & Miquelon are the only ones still missing, very, very impressive. I only have to make one of them and it's the sole indipendent country! I love this.

I've noticed that too. Going to be easier for database creators this year, nice touch.

Around about December in my first season and I'm convinced one on one's are less effective than 25 yarders.

Goalkeepers seem to recover and react far too fast to point blank shots too. 

You often see them make superhuman saves from point-blank. Then make another superhuman save from the rebound. 

Yet get beat from 25 yards a lot. 

There are it feels way too many one on one's. Probably why they are also missed so much. 

I'm not sure I've seen a single cross from a winger. They only really come from fullbacks/wingbacks. 

2 minutes ago, MShing said:

Has the reserve team and youth team buttons been removed from the left hand menu?

I haven't had an in depth look but struggling how to find those 2 squads 🤷‍♂️

They are all in development centre.

I just played 4 friendly games, but two of them were in full match.

Negatives so far:

- I am playing tactic with short passes and it is weird to see that my fullbacks are flanking to another side and they are instructed also to play short passes

- also most offsides are from my fullbacks

- low number of attempted crosses especially from my fullbacks wich are instructed to cross more often

- played two games with a winger and he just sits too narrow when we have the ball

Positives:

- so far I didn't score goals from long shot even though I had a dozen of long shots, neither my oponnents didn't score long shot goals.

- decent number of through balls

- no more unnecessary headings from my centrebacks when there is no oponnent near them

- nice saves from GKs

9 hours ago, thomas_e said:

Exact same situation. Everything runs fine until the 3D match, and I also have "high" as standard. Very frustrating! 

I found a fix in the bug forum for this. Deleting preference and cache fixed this. Youtube video posted by Neil Brook in bug forum

Overall loving the Beta, dev centre is a real plus. The game overall is more polished and so many subtle improvements.

some Match engine issues....

crossing from full backs can be hesitant and results in too many instances of them stopping and passing short.

lone strikers are still not working. They remain static at times with little forward movement especially in situations of defensive teams parking the bus. The last time I saw good general movement was fm18.

too many over the top balls resulting in one on ones which are then missed

too many cross field balls and low g ball from the back, despite having shorter passing and players in free positions that are close to the passer

13 minutes ago, styluz05 said:

I found a fix in the bug forum for this. Deleting preference and cache fixed this. Youtube video posted by Neil Brook in bug forum

Never mind, I found it.

Edited by Bakiano

Here some of my match engine observations:

• Overlapping fullbacks constantly move into offside positions. Both my fullbacks are offside 3-4 times during a match, and it's always the same way. They pass it back, move forward, receive ball back in offside position.
  • Forwards are really static, resulting in no dynamic offensive movements. Even with expressive, roaming, creative players with killer balls etc. do not make a difference. Inside forwards are also really static, waiting at the edge of the box, which is usually full with 7 defenders by the time the ball is near the box. Therefore 80-90% of my attacks result in a long shot. Funnily enough I score many of these goals, so I still perform relatively well...
  • As mentioned before, many long shots and many long shots going in.
  • One-on-ones, even though I hardly see them myself due to static offensive movements, on the other hand rarely go in.

I play a possession style of play 4-3-2-1 as my base tactic. I've tried variations with different roles, more direct play, higher tempo etc. but it does not change the fact that I hardly have any good looking played-out goals. Most goals I make are either long shots or headers from crosses/corners.

My main take from the game is just too many long shots being pelted in. Had a few 40 yard screamers. Lovely to look at but takes away some of the awe when it happens too much. 

Aside from that one on one chances are dismal. Nobody rounds the keeper, and more often than not the shot is fired straight at him. 

Amazingly the only successful  one on one chances I've seen have all been called back for offside :D

6 minutes ago, Stevicus said:

My main take from the game is just too many long shots being pelted in. Had a few 40 yard screamers. Lovely to look at but takes away some of the awe when it happens too much. 

Aside from that one on one chances are dismal. Nobody rounds the keeper, and more often than not the shot is fired straight at him. 

Amazingly the only successful  one on one chances I've seen have all been called back for offside :D

Or unbelievably spanked wide. 

Honestly, I asked before about all these longs shot, I'm seeing hardly any never mind long range goals, what sort of tactics are people using?

The ME is an improved FM19 ME so how anyone can say it's the same is beyond me, the difference is obvious  

3 minutes ago, Bradley21 said:

This screenshot shows what is constantly happening when it comes to players in crossing positions. There are two strikers over for a tap-in, but Chilwell shoots from this position instead of making the obvious pass. If this was a rare event then you can chalk it up to a rush of blood, but i haven't seen a single one of these scenarios that played out any differently. It doesn't matter how tight the angle, the ball will never be flashed across the 6yard box or passed square to the strikers. 

Very frustrating. 

Screenshot_1.png

Submit that PKM pal, I've seen a few wide shots from impossible angles into the side netting, yeah it happens but the shots are literally impossible 

1 minute ago, Johnny Ace said:

In your preferences like normal 

I found it eventually, but it's not there like "normal" it's in a sub menu that needs to be selected from a dropdown otherwise it doesn't show up.

I really have no clue why the interface for this game needs to change EVERY year for no good reason.

Thanks for the answer though.

I'm afraid I'm having to go back to FM19 for a bit, which is such a shame as everything other than the matchday is top notch this year. Unfortunately, I'm once again caught in the middle of SI's long running war with NVidia graphics cards, so the 3D is horrible, and even the 2D lags unless I put it on the lowest setting where it just looks horrible. I've done all the tips to remedy this to no avail. 

I'm also not keen on this year's player models, they seem to be thinner, more stick like than before. Playing my FM19 save just now and the engine just looks so much nicer. 

Hopefully this will all be polished up for the full release. The rest of the game is magnificent this year. 

13 минут назад, grasu сказал:

Does anybody know how I can change my wages display to go from per annum to per week?

Mate there are search bar in preferences. Also in right side dropdown menu which have the same pages as in prev versions :thup:

16 minutes ago, Bradley21 said:

This screenshot shows what is constantly happening when it comes to players in crossing positions. There are two strikers over for a tap-in, but Chilwell shoots from this position instead of making the obvious pass. If this was a rare event then you can chalk it up to a rush of blood, but i haven't seen a single one of these scenarios that played out any differently. It doesn't matter how tight the angle, the ball will never be flashed across the 6yard box or passed square to the strikers. 

Very frustrating. 

Screenshot_1.png

Me too. Wingers burst pass a full back and head towards byline, see my striker break away from a defender who's going to the ball, everything looks perfect and just needs realistic cross to unmarked striker, but instead the winger hits a shot into the side netting.

I've managed to resolve too many long shots with tactics, on my save so far, so have too see if any way I can affect this too.

Just reached the first international break and am enjoying this year's version so far.

ME feels like an evolution of the final FM19 ME, which is good as the ME needs gently tweaking, no drastic moves that upset the current balance. Play around the edge of the box seems more considered, which is a very good thing. Wide players being more willing to pass back or inside rather than fire in a cross or play for a corner is also welcome.  I've seen some comments from people who don't like this, but maybe it's just a case of allowing wide players to cross more often if they are set to do so. For someone like me who wants to keep possession and work an opportunity in the final third things are pretty good.

I'm not seeing too many long shots, so maybe that's another play-style related issue. Are those who are experiencing this using someone in the AMC slot?

Two things that do seem to need taming a little are:

• Offsides - this is a continuation from FM19. Players who aren't trying to play on the shoulder (especially wingbacks) are straying offside too often for my liking.
  • Cross-field balls - A little too often and a little too accurate.

Edited by rp1966
speeling mistook

Same here @rp1966, wide play has improved immensely with wide players looking to pass back or inside rather than boot a cross into a defender 

Agree on the fullbacks being caught offside, I'm only using FBs on support & they seem to get caught quite a bit, something I'm keeping my eye on 

I'd love to the technical know how of how to upload a GIF, Lewandowski's just chipped the 'keeper from the edge of the box on the half-volley!!! 

Edited by Johnny Ace

9 минут назад, rp1966 сказал:

ME needs gently tweaking, no drastic moves that upset the current balance

Personally for me its a negative when one role-changing or PI change everything on a field. And it has never been realistic because IRL teams follow TI but almost all is decided at the moment. So if Pep or Klopp change 1-2 things (they change a lot of little things before/during every game) it not changed basic idea

Anyone know how to remove an uploaded manager profile picture? I uploaded the wrong one yesterday and now I cannot get rid of it, when I go to change manager appearance on the main screen the picture does not show anywhere so no way of deleting it there as the game acts as if there isn't one chosen, but when I start the save the bloody thing is back again! 

Okay so I'm at the end of preseason, always my first save is a through away, getting used to changes and tweaking tactics etc, 10 friendlies against varying levels of opponents. I've got all players loaded, all leagues background apart from England. Happy with speed of everything and liking all the QoL things, bit of getting used to but all good so far, considering I was very meh! over the feature announcements, I am very pleasantly surprised with how much I am enjoying it, will probably go to December then start again.

Thoughts on matchday:

After my first 2 friendlies which I lost against weaker teams, it was obvious from watching my tactic was wrong, I was happy with what I was seeing from the opposition watching the matches, now further along and my tactic is working better, I'm enjoying the variety in play for the most parts, I'm getting a good variety of goals, including a dream FK by Gylfi. I've had couple of stutters in match that have already been mentioned, not too concerned at the minute as I think I'm contributing by tabbing out to read here. Some very questionable offsides, too many delayed passes causing offside, I've not played enough matches yet to think that's a bug, this is a bug, but a few things I will be keeping an eye on.

Something else I've noticed my toffees feel like they are going to be a bit more of a challenge to start with this year, something I will relish. So apart from minor gripes a :thup: from me.

39 minutes ago, SortitoutsiVP said:

Anyone know how to remove an uploaded manager profile picture? I uploaded the wrong one yesterday and now I cannot get rid of it, when I go to change manager appearance on the main screen the picture does not show anywhere so no way of deleting it there as the game acts as if there isn't one chosen, but when I start the save the bloody thing is back again! 

Preferences>>Advanced>>General from drop down, scroll to bottom, change profile picture.

2 hours ago, Weller1980 said:

Too many long shot goals in my save. 33% of my goals are scored from outside the box this is with CM instructed to shoot less often and work ball into box. I think the average should be around 15-20% from the very limited research ive done.

Every time I score a goal from outside the box im now disappointed because I score one almost every game. I should be cheering screamers from outside the box but, they are too frequent and spoil the fun a bit. FM19 was just as bad with too many goals from outside the box, hopefully SI can tweak it by reducing long shot goals and increasing 1 on 1 conversations. Easier said than done im sure!!

I have submitted quite a few PKM with examples in the bugs forum.

I'm noticing the same thing. Conversely, finishing seems broken. It's to the point I'd rather have an open shot from 25 yards out with my holding midfielder, than a breakaway with any of my strikers/AML/AMR. I appreciate that wonder strikes happen, and strikers squander golden opportunities happen, but the ratio seems off right now. 

Edited by XuluBak

1 minute ago, XuluBak said:

I'm noticing the same thing. Conversely, finishing seems broken. It's to the point I'd rather have an open shot from 25 yards out with my holding midfielder, than a breakaway with any of my strikers/AML/AMR. 

I've had almost the opposite, only a couple of real screamers, and my 2 strikers scoring in and around the box and rebounds! am happy with in the box stuff so far!

2 hours ago, Bradley21 said:

Very frustrating. 

Screenshot_1.png

i see this almost every game, wide open teammate in front of goal, easy tap in ... the wide player 9/10 times chooses to shoot instead of make the easy cross

It does feel a lot like the ME would hugely improved if one on ones were scored more often and long shots were less accurate. 

It's also like the way they've got round the crosses being slammed into the first man is to have no crosses at all. So many occasions with a counter attack with a player in behind the defence in the wide area has an attacker unmarked in the middle, but they hold on to it and wait to pull it back to the edge of the box instead.

Agree with most of the feedback about ME, full-backs/wing backs typically find themselves in lots of space as they receive pinpoint long passes but then are very reluctant to cross and tend to pass the ball backwards, resulting in a high number of long shots from central or attacking midfielders.