Football Manager 2020 - Out 19th November 2019

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No pre-order until new features or improved ones. I don't want to buy 19.3.6 Football Manager. Very bad adv and marketing. Let's see what FM20 will bring.

51 minutes ago, VMX said:

Sorry but I don't quite get this announcement.

SI are asking us to preorder... what exactly?

Does this preorder only give you the Steam version, or does it also include the Stadia version? How can this not be mentioned anywhere?

And will we be able to continue saves from the Steam version on the Stadia version, and vice versa? How am I supposed to decide which version(s) to buy without knowing that key bit of information?

It's bad enough that they never list any new features or show any gameplay when launching preorders... but telling people to spend 49,50€ without even telling them which product they're buying?

They could and should do better than this.

Yes it will be only on what platform you order it on as there different platforms.

Release date I'm guessing there waiting on Google as it's a launch title for stadia from what I can see all google has said stadia is out in November no date set so guessing google will have an announcement for the release date of stadia soon.

Edited by Spedding

I feel SI were rushed this year to do this announcement campaign with no new features yet to show us only to promote Google Stadia more than FM20 itself so that's a bit worrying sign for me (I really like Google Stadia btw. It'll be revolutionary).

Last year SI did pretty big changes on several modules of the game (especially tactics and training) but I still hope we'll get more than tweaks around the edges version of FM19.

2 minutes ago, DODO said:

I feel SI were rushed this year to do this announcement campaign with no new features yet to show us only to promote Google Stadia more than FM20 itself so that's a bit worrying sign for me (I really like Google Stadia btw. It'll be revolutionary).

Last year SI did pretty big changes on several modules of the game (especially tactics and training) but I still hope we'll get more than tweaks around the edges version of FM19.

They announce like this each year, around this time. Nothing has changed on that front . They had already announced it was coming to Stadia. All the news bits are still to come, as usual 

I'm not a fan of the trailer at all. Keen to know what that tagline was about. It was the only thing that grabbed some attention.

Nothing unusual for a first announcement though. 

1 minute ago, HUNT3R said:

I'm not a fan of the trailer at all. Keen to know what that tagline was about. It was the only thing that grabbed some attention.

Nothing unusual for a first announcement though. 

I quite liked it. But then I have a general disdain for social media these days so liked the gentle dig. 

Though the classic ones will always be my favourites 

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I quite liked it.

I can definitely agree that it's a subjective thing. I liked the cliche cutscenes and B-grade almost comedic (struggling to find an accurate description for it) over acting of some of the previous ones. This one, for some reason, didn't pull me in at all.

The tagline did, which still makes it a bit of a success, I guess. Anything to pique some interest in something you already know and love.

I'll watch it again tomorrow and see if my opinion changes. Still looking forward to seeing more about the new release, of course. I'm hoping it's not too much social media and more about us having a say in some other way, but I will definitely keep my eyes open for more news.

I'm actually surprised they'd release a trailer with so many beeped out swear words, though I'd guess the player base is pretty old (relatively speaking, compared to idk Fornite and FIFA, or what the series's player base was 20 years ago).

If there's anything about going in an edgier direction, and I know it's supposed to be a big licensing problem, I hope they let the players misbehave more. Fights on the pitch! Crowding the ref. Dives, elbows, stuff going unseen, shithousery. Not showing up for training, going on strike, nastier "cliques" than we have today in dynamics.

Edited by Ruh Roh

1 hour ago, DazRTaylor said:

Need the Icelandic league to be fixed and the clubs promoted when reloading on 24 June to be different each time for me to get excited.

This complaint can only make sense in the mind of a LLM-journeyman-youth-only fanatic :D 

Regarding the announcement... I never take it too much into consideration. Recent years show it makes sense, commercially, to focus on things that aren't really what's important for the die hard fans such as social media and better graphics, so I try not to get very happy/angry and just try it when it comes out.

Edited by kingjericho

3 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I'm not sure what people were expecting. 

First theres always the release date announcement 

Then over the next couple of months features and information get released and teased out 

Meanwhile the pre-order starts now and most importantly doesn't end until very close to the the actual release. Meaning you get to see all the release info, and get a sneak of those on the public beta before having to make any order or pre order. 

It's a really weird thing to be outraged about.

This is no different to last year or the year before. Some people pre order immediately, some simply wait and see. Some don't pre-order at all.

SI maximises pre orders and gamers have plenty of time to see what's coming before seeing if it's worth putting their money down. 

What would be an issue is if ore order bonuses stopped significantly before all information they were going to release came out 

I agree this is the current procedure of releasing information of the game. I’m not fan, but I was okay with it. But this year you get information about stadia and what you can do with FM, but that isn’t exactly news since the thread about stadia a lot of people expecting what was announced today. That is the all idea of it.

But what makes this year August announcement a waste of time you didn’t get a release date, but an estimate.

I feel (and you’re allowed to disagree) that each year these kind of announcements in August are getting poorer.  

19 minutes ago, grade said:

I agree this is the current procedure of releasing information of the game. I’m not fan, but I was okay with it. But this year you get information about stadia and what you can do with FM, but that isn’t exactly news since the thread about stadia a lot of people expecting what was announced today. That is the all idea of it.

But what makes this year August announcement a waste of time you didn’t get a release date, but an estimate.

I feel (and you’re allowed to disagree) that each year these kind of announcements in August are getting poorer.  

https://community.sigames.com/topic/443936-official-football-manager-2019-announcement/

https://community.sigames.com/topic/407026-football-manager-2018-announcement/

https://community.sigames.com/topic/377536-football-manager-2017-release-date-and-pre-purchase-details-announced/

They really haven't differed all that much at all. 17 and 18 didn't actually have videos embedded so the last two have arguably added more. The only think you haven't got is a nailed down date, but given that we know it's November as a release month isn't really an issue. Especially since we know SI tend to release things toward as the first two weeks of November 

SI always do a slow burn with these things. And given year on year they sell more and more, faster and faster, is clearly working.

I personally don't really start taking notice for another month or so, but then I'm probably not the target audience with the early announcements, since I'm always late to pre order, if I indeed do. 

Had my preorder all typed in ready to hit enter and I stopped. Something just didn't feel right. Think I'm gonna just hold out, I actually thought this mornings little video was a joke and dumb.  I am actually really worried where not gonna get what we were hoping for at all. I'm still hoping, but this year Im not throwing my money for 2 weeks of beta. I can wait.

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, dnlwrd said:

Looks like no Switch version this year, not sure I’m surprised considering I don’t think FMT19 on Switch got the latest update but still a shame.

Literally says in the announcement:

”FootballManager 2020 Touch for Nintendo Switch will follow in late November.”

2 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

I can definitely agree that it's a subjective thing. I liked the cliche cutscenes and B-grade almost comedic (struggling to find an accurate description for it) over acting of some of the previous ones. This one, for some reason, didn't pull me in at all.

The tagline did, which still makes it a bit of a success, I guess. Anything to pique some interest in something you already know and love.

I'll watch it again tomorrow and see if my opinion changes. Still looking forward to seeing more about the new release, of course. I'm hoping it's not too much social media and more about us having a say in some other way, but I will definitely keep my eyes open for more news.

It didn't pull me in initially , but the tag line nailed it so I guess it did in the end, I really like the idea and the execution in the edit (Neil would love to know if the editor is an in house one or someone you've hired) but then cutting promos for work myself makes me nerdy like that. 

9 minutes ago, YUK0N said:

At the end of the Video it says (EVERYONE's GOT AN OPINION) (DO SOMETHING WITH YOURS) (CREATE THE FUTURE) can anyone explain what exactly this means?

Yes was thinking the same thing . It must be a new kind of feature . Guessing you can have some sort of opinion that influence the club in some way . Maybe things happening in the club and they ask for your opinion . Just hope its not like the press interviews where you can only give certain answers ? 

7 horas atrás, grade disse:

So this is the big announcement, that Miles announcement two weeks ago... that was a waste of time. Don’t get me wrong, but to get announcement of an announcement of things we already know is a bit of disappointing and I was expecting more. Not even a proper date was announced. Next time will be what?, coming this fall!!!!!!! 

I’m sorry if I find this reply a bit arrogant, but i’m sick and tired of this pointless announcement that gives us nothing about the game. O don’t really expect something revolutionary or extraordinary, but gives us something more substantial. A simply we revamping press conferences is more entertaining than this.

Sorry for the long rant.

PS: I welcome the new release of FM20.

I second this. Can't understand the pre-announcement of the announcement to finally announce a 1 min video and say nothing about the game. I expected exactly this type of trailer + revealed date, but not even the last part was true.
SI should at least give us something like "now with media/ fans overhauled"(doing my bet after this trailer) without getting in details before mid september just to justify the pre-order, because you ask people their money before showing literally any change, any small bit of information about the game is kinda lame. Obviously, no one need to buy it before they show, but is a way to show some respect to people that buy this game every year to at least they them what they are about to pre-order. I feel happy for finally having it announced, but gutted for not having a date neither a simple phrase of a single new thing that will say to me "go and buy it, it is new and you will like it!". But yeah,lets hope for the best.

If this is hinting at a revamp of the social media as a big focus then I'm pretty zoned out. I set every new game to skip the social media page, does absolutely nothing for me.

Granted if it's your bag then great but there are other areas that are much bigger deal breakers for me.

If this is hinting at a revamp of the social media as a big focus then I'm pretty zoned out. I set every new game to skip the social media page, does absolutely nothing for me.

Granted if it's your bag then great but there are other areas that are much bigger deal breakers for me.

I could not agree more. If this is some kind of in game Twitter upgrade many will not be impressed. Twitter on its own is a crap show. Why have it anymore then we do already in a soccer game while not fixing the things we've been asking for over and over again. This alone literally stopped my preorder and unless I hear anything news about considerable updates I may just stay with 2019. Still happy with my 12 season campaign. Its not worth the purchase if they ask us what we want and then do something like this. Yes I'm getting ahead of myself and I'm still holding out for the better but that video this morning was just plain depressing.

8 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Literally says in the announcement:

”FootballManager 2020 Touch for Nintendo Switch will follow in late November.”

Cool, thanks, completely missed that.

Not sure the sass of a “literally” was needed but cool anyway.

15 hours ago, roykela said:

Really hope the focus isn't social media. That would be a major disappointment for me.
Waiting for September now.

Totally agree. I always switch it off in the game and have nothing to do with social media (unless this site counts) IRL. I need much more information before I decide to buy FM20 let alone pre-order the game. 

4 hours ago, ben carter said:

4 hours ago, YUK0N said:

I could not agree more. If this is some kind of in game Twitter upgrade many will not be impressed. Twitter on its own is a crap show. Why have it anymore then we do already in a soccer game while not fixing the things we've been asking for over and over again. This alone literally stopped my preorder and unless I hear anything news about considerable updates I may just stay with 2019. Still happy with my 12 season campaign. Its not worth the purchase if they ask us what we want and then do something like this. Yes I'm getting ahead of myself and I'm still holding out for the better but that video this morning was just plain depressing.

The feeling I got from watching the trailer (also taking the tag line into account) is that every armchair fan has an opinion and think they know better. FM is the chance to put those opinions to the test, basically.

We are creating the future already, in every FM, but I'm hoping there's a reason they chose the wording for this edition specifically. 

2 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

I think the advert was pretty insulting to the target audience ... us. To my mind, it suggested that we are all a bunch of loud mouthed morons who can't express ourselves without swearing.

Easily offended much?

56 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

I think the advert was pretty insulting to the target audience ... us. To my mind, it suggested that we are all a bunch of loud mouthed morons who can't express ourselves without swearing.

Remember, this is a trailer less than 1 min long. It's trying to show the passion of fans and the opinions on what they'd do about whatever is wrong at their club. If this was a guy in a suit sitting in a library calmly saying, "well, in my opinion, I think we need a new formation because we can't deal with the balls over the top because there's no pressure in midfield" it's not going to build excitement (in general!) for the new version. Trailers are supposed to be action packed to create hype. I wouldn't read too much into it in terms of it being insulting or assuming what we are or aren't. :)

Intrigued to see what new features will be in place.

Eventually, SI will surely hit something of a brick wall when it comes to adding in new features - it will become a case of 'so what haven't we included?', especially when you factor in manager involvement in contract negotiations already (which by and large isn't very common these days).

Liked the training this year and the tactical changes; it was a very good game - the ME has still given me frustration though so I hope there will be some tweaks there. For me, if they continue to fine-tune the ME with animations and realistic play/tactical implementations they can keep taking my money each year.

Does anyone know if there will be a "closed Beta" this year and if so how to sign up for it? I was on a closed beta group for FM 2015 and while frustrating at times, due to it obviously being a beta, it was great to help test it out. Would love to be involved again.