Early faves to manage FM20?

I am really afraid like every year United will be too OP still and will not reflect theyr current situation. Will be interesting to see.

My long term save usually is Leeds, but thinking maybe for quick run with beta in Italy.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Waiting for the beta to drop is driving me mad, so I'm killing time mulling over different teams. Narrowed it down to 6 so far:

Bolton - obvious reasons, good long-term project trying to keep them up and then rebuild

Yeovil - supported them my whole life, relegated into National League last year but doing well IRL, so another good project trying to rebuild and take back up

Ayr United - never managed in Scotland, recently appointed FM legend Mark Kerr IRL and in a tough division so good challenge trying to get them up and keep them up; good first club for a British journeyman perhaps

Bayer Leverkusen - love the Bundesliga, loads of quality young players at Bayer, European football, challenge of trying to overthrow Bayern and Dortmund

Hamburg - massive club in 2. Bundesliga, great rebuilding project, long-term save trying to get back in to Europe and challenge top of Bundesliga

TOP Oss - random but read a story from a couple of FM fans in the Football Manager Stole My Life book who managed Oss, so like the idea of doing the same and trying to get them in to Eredivisie for the first time in their history (I think); good first club for European journeyman

3 horas atrás, DanBeats90 disse:

Waiting for the beta to drop is driving me mad

Me too.

#thingsillneveradmit #butjustdid

Edited by 99

On 26/10/2019 at 08:32, PhilH82 said:

I have a few ideas for this year.

At the Beta stage, which I also hope will continue into a long term save of domestic domination after overthrowing the respective giants in each country I’m looking at Monaco and AZ.

Trying to build back Monaco to where they were a couple of years ago and overtaking PSG for good really appeals to me, especially after the Henry shambles last year.

AZ have some really highly rated young players (Bodau, Stengs, Schendelaar, Wijndal) who if you can hold on to would be great to build a side around.  I feel like top 3 is achievable first year with the long term goal being to eventually overtake Ajax and PSV.  I’m actually surprised no one else has mentioned AZ.

Superb choices. AZ seems to be my No.1 choice for this year - young squad with many talented players, good facilities, reserve team in second division, strong domestic competition with Ajax and PSV and the league is good enough to allow you nice runs in European competitions. Also AZ is a great place for youth development, my favourite part of FM.

Will also consider careers for HSV or 1.FCK in Germany, Bilbao, Andorra or Real Union in Spain, Salford City, Leeds and Bolton in England, Braga or Saint Etienne.

The addition of the development centre - the single biggest new feature I'm most excited about - will make a save with a club who has a great youth set up be more immersive than ever (on the assumption the feature has been implemented correctly)

To that end, if we're looking at the Netherlands, Sparta Rotterdam could be a fun save to test out this feature. 

With beta i think i'll play with Stade de Reims.

Then, I want to try to play with Forest Green Rovers. I don't know why, but one time i saw a TV documentary about this club and his stadium build with wood. I'm not ecologist :D but it awakened my curiosity about this club.

11 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

The addition of the development centre - the single biggest new feature I'm most excited about - will make a save with a club who has a great youth set up be more immersive than ever (on the assumption the feature has been implemented correctly)

But what if your club vision is to sell the players you produce? Could find yourself being constantly told to sell.

It’s the club vision that I’m most excited about. I’m hoping this now forces long term gamers to alter their play from club to club rather than have one style of playing wherever you go. The possibility is endless.

On the other hand, being told by the club you want to manage how to play when you don’t agree with it may prove...interesting/annoying.

16 hours ago, DanBeats90 said:

Waiting for the beta to drop is driving me mad, so I'm killing time mulling over different teams.

Same here, not sure if I should start my long term European journeyman in the beta or not.

On 26/10/2019 at 07:32, PhilH82 said:

I have a few ideas for this year.

At the Beta stage, which I also hope will continue into a long term save of domestic domination after overthrowing the respective giants in each country I’m looking at Monaco and AZ.

Trying to build back Monaco to where they were a couple of years ago and overtaking PSG for good really appeals to me, especially after the Henry shambles last year.

AZ have some really highly rated young players (Bodau, Stengs, Schendelaar, Wijndal) who if you can hold on to would be great to build a side around.  I feel like top 3 is achievable first year with the long term goal being to eventually overtake Ajax and PSV.  I’m actually surprised no one else has mentioned AZ.

Like a few in here I’m also planning on a LLM save with a local club.  Depending on how far I want to drop down I’m either going to take over Macclesfield and continue the work big Sol started or go Buxton Town (Dafuge style).

Every year I also head up North to Scotland... FM17 - Hibs, 18 - Dundee U and 19 - Inverness.  After reading some precious comments I’ve narrowed it down to Motherwell, Ayr or Falkirk, again depending on how far I want to drop down the leagues.

AZ have been one of my go-to teams for the last couple of iterations. They have a great set of youngsters. And as for knocking PSV off their perch, well just check the score yesterday :)

On 24/10/2019 at 11:22, Soviet said:

You get Welsh newgens if you play Merthyr Town in English league, so I bet my hat that you'll get Andorran newgens in Spain.

You get Liechtensteiner regens if you play as Vaduz in the Swiss structure as well, so they should be Andorran. The Vaduz lads all get Swiss as a second nationality though, so you've got to lock them down for Liechtenstein nice and early (I'm Vaduz and Liechtenstein manager!) if they look any good - Imagine that will be the same with Andorran & Spanish nationalities.

This thread has given me some good ideas for my first team. Think I'll do the usual thing and go unemployed in Scandinavia, and see where that takes me!

On 26/10/2019 at 11:43, RKM said:

Will start off as Peterborough United.  A young squad with huge potential.

GK - Pym (24)
RB - Mason (22)
CB - Kent (23)
CB - Beevers (29)
LB - Butler (25)
RW - Maddison (26)
CM - Reed (22)
CM - Boyd (34)
LW - Dembele (23)
ST - Eisa (25)
ST - Toney (23)

----------------------------------------
GK - O'Malley (25)
RB - Thompson (28)
CB - Bennett (28)
CB - Knight (22) Also plays CDM/CM
LB - Blake-Tracy
RW - Tasdemir (19)
CM - Woodyard (26)
CM - Burrows (17)
LW - Ward (24)
ST - Kanu (19)
ST - Jones (16)

Will be fun to see if I can replicate the teams performances in real life, in the game.

The attacking quartet of Eisa, Toney, Maddison and Dembele will score goals in League 1,  to hopefully  win promotion to the Championship + Premier League but only if the owners don't sell are best players in FM. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will also be interesting to see what the 'club vision' is, as the owners have said in real life;

“We’ve set the Academy staff a goal for three graduates every year to be good enough to be taken on at first-team level by the year 2024. It is a demand if you like. If they are not producing three players every season then they are not doing their job.”

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/peterborough-united-s-five-year-plan-to-develop-more-homegrown-players-for-the-first-team-1-8854152

Also the chairman Darragh Macanthony has set objectives for this season;

* Promotion and the League One title.
* Fantastic football for our fanbase.
* Excellent home record.
* Complete the purchase of the stadium.
* Smash 5.5k season tickets sales when they go on sale again in February/March.
* 120 goals scored & 25 clean sheets.
* Golden Boot winner.
* Three players in EFL team of year.
* Manager of year trophy.
* Checkatrade Trophy.
* See another youth graduate play for England Under 20s.
* Two strikers to score 20 league goals each.
* Continue growth of new fans through fantastic schools initiative.
* See our under 18s go deep in the FA Youth Cup.
* Turn down a £5 million plus bid for two of our players in January window (it would mean we are having a fantastic season).
* Smash all our commercial targets.
* Average 8k home gates.
* Go through January without signing a player (also means squad doing its job).
* More facilities at our training ground.
* Take all players/staff away to Vegas or the Bahamas to celebrate a successful season.
* Pay for all non-football staff to have holidays with their families at the end of season for doing their bit.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/peterborough-united-chairman-s-wish-list-is-a-sight-to-behold-but-the-rewards-for-success-are-most-attractive-1-9018513

You may have sold me on this idea you know.

Before that it was Bolton or Ipswich but like the fact that Peterborough seem to have an identity and as you say I hope this is implemented into their 'club vision'

Planning to play with Ajax. With the club vision feature implemented in FM20 which is making me to rub my hands in glee with Ajax's real life model. I have been doing the exact same model in FM19 regardless but with the playing time promise offered to the players, it will be extra challenge which will keep it very interesting. 

If I ever get bored of Ajax, I might take over Palermo in the same save if they are still languishing in the lower league. It will be interesting to see what their club vision's demands are. 

Always start a long term with the love of my life: Man United.

However I seriously hope the quality represents the real life bottom half crybaby team they are(Yes, bottom half, because without certain players, we'd be in relegation), bar the few quality ones. Would give me the perfect chance to build a big side entirely in my image as well, and give myself that satisfying feeling of removing every aspect of the club I cannot stand. Well, maybe except Woodward.

That's always my long term save. 

Then I have others in AC Milan, PSV and Salford. My usuals. 

Might do an unemployed as well. 

On 24/10/2019 at 10:57, Kristianmehl said:

Don't mind me, I'm generalizing a bit ;)
MLS sounds interesting though. I am bit concerned with the lack of transfers in the way we go about it in Europe. Any ideas as to how to get info on the league/transfer/draft system in the US? 

MLS has external transfers, but that's where "normal" ends. The Uncle Sam guide referenced is helpful, but the rules are so convoluted, I think you have play it (and make mistakes) to get a better understanding of some of the nuances. Those rules can make for an interesting change of pace; however, unless SI has drastically improved the computer's (squad) management of other MLS teams, it gets boring pretty quick. 

Coming up with "interesting" save ideas is the easy part. Unfortunately, it's a bit too easy for me, so I have a tendency to keep restarting. Gonna try, really hard, to not do this year! 

I think my "main" save (after release and once I get a new laptop) will be a journeyman one. Currently, leaning toward starting unemployed with the aim of landing a starting gig in Greece. Never played it, and don't know much about it, aside from a recent restructure.

In the meantime, may explore MLS expansion and improvements. If I'm not impressed there, then will probably go with HSV again. 

I'm gonna start watching Take Us Home: Leeds United, so I'm guessing I wanna start with Leeds United after that. I did it with Sunderland too and that was my longest FM19-save (just made it till 31st december 2018!!) Just didn't find a proper save in FM19, tried many, failled all to get into it.

I have a long list and keep changing the order. At the moment:

1. Chelsea (good to start out the game and interesting new set up)

2. Leeds United (never played in the lower leagues and it seems like a club with a rich history)

3. Werder Bremen (years ago, I picked this team after Ozil left them and have since always paid attention to the club; I think they are due for a comeback)

4. Lyon (since an amazing thread here on the forums, I played with them and have since always had a save in the French Ligue 1; Lyon had a great run a couple of years back and it is a nice challenge to come back and beat money-rich PSG)

5. AC Milan (for a save in Italy and to rebuild)

6. Maybe a Journeyman save? Never done one. Start at the bottom and see what job I get and then see where I end up. I guess that's the ultimate "career" save

Kidderminster Harriers, most likely. My local team & will be looking to get them back into the football league.

Probably will be after some extensive editing so that the Vanarama North is more accurately resembled (For example practically every manager's tactical attributes were in middling numbers last year. Attacking, directness, depth, pressing, width etc, ranging from 9-11. Very little thought put into it & made things initially quite boring.) Also likely some changes to more accurately reflect the state of the club.

Other possibilities are Newcastle who I've had a soft-spot for since Sir Bobby's reign, plus perhaps something a little more wild & adventurous. Thinking maybe going the Roy Hodgson & Graham Potter route, starting up a career in a top division of a Scandinavian country (or maybe other quiet/less fashionable footballing area of Europe), look to be successful for a few years before coming back to England, with a Championship or Premiership club.

11 hours ago, XuluBak said:

MLS has external transfers, but that's where "normal" ends. The Uncle Sam guide referenced is helpful, but the rules are so convoluted, I think you have play it (and make mistakes) to get a better understanding of some of the nuances. Those rules can make for an interesting change of pace; however, unless SI has drastically improved the computer's (squad) management of other MLS teams, it gets boring pretty quick. 

Yeah I wouldn't count on it, as the squad management is terrible across all leagues. 

I see on the SI twitter announcement of suggested top 10 teams to manage that Leeds are incorrectly listed as an L1 sleeping giant team. Given they are =2nd in the championship I hope they correct it quite soon :)

1 hour ago, MrPompey said:

I see on the SI twitter announcement of suggested top 10 teams to manage that Leeds are incorrectly listed as an L1 sleeping giant team. Given they are =2nd in the championship I hope they correct it quite soon :)

Read that and didn't pick up on it. Think I was too gassed that they'd listed Motherwell who I plan to go :lol:

15 hours ago, XuluBak said:

From Twitter:

image.png.0153fe585ea4eac5c8eea8d5da181188.png

On 27/10/2019 at 15:20, CarlosEsDios said:

I hope Basingstoke get themselves back.

Some way to go I'm afraid - they're currently in Southern League Division One, so two steps below the National South. and they're not doing very well there currently.  Would probably help if they actually had a home currently, but as it stands that's all up in the air at the moment.

I don't think we'll see them anywhere near the playable leagues in the next few seasons at least, if ever.  But, they will be playable via custom databases.

I tend to start unemployed and see where the game takes me, however I am really tempted, once a database for the Highland/Lowland leagues is available, to try playing as Fort William seeing as they've forever been at the foot of the Highland League.   They almost always finish at the bottom, so I think it would be a challenge to see if I can get them into the Scottish Football League.

I've decided to start with Cliftonville in Northern Ireland. The oldest club in Ireland playing at NI's oldest existant ground, and also the only team notably on the Catholic/Irish side of the divide in the league, I'm aiming to make them the first Northern Irish club ever to reach a European group stage with the new Europa Conferance League competition.

Just realised that Northern Ireland is the most populous European country available in FM never to have had a team in the European group stages!

Edited by Spurs08

36 minutes ago, Spurs08 said:

I've decided to start with Cliftonville in Northern Ireland. The oldest club in Ireland playing at NI's oldest existant ground, and also the only team notably on the Catholic/Irish side of the divide in the league, I'm aiming to make them the first Northern Irish club ever to reach a European group stage with the new Europa Conferance League competition.

I don't think the ECL is in FM20 from what I've read on here. A few weeks ago posters were saying there wasn't enough detail known about it to include it. Kind of like it took a while for the 48 team world cup to be included. I'd be extremely happy if that has changed though.

2 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

As long he's not taught until after the game with Southampton, that's cool! 

I think that's his last game (I hope) if we lose to spurs this weekend. Hopefully we will have beta before our game with you, so I can improve my footy mood.

Edited by toffee71

35 minutes ago, decapitated said:

I don't think the ECL is in FM20 from what I've read on here. A few weeks ago posters were saying there wasn't enough detail known about it to include it. Kind of like it took a while for the 48 team world cup to be included. I'd be extremely happy if that has changed though.

Miles as good as confirmed it in the official livestream :)

Seeing as they're my local team and they've been on Sky quite a bit recently, I think I'll make Brentford my first game.

Their transfer approach is superb; find some rough diamonds in the lower leagues or from abroad, polish 'em up, then sell on for huge profits. They've sold Maupay, Konza and Mepham for eight figure sums in the last couple of seasons, and replaced them with guys with high potential. Hopefully the likes of Watkins, Mbeumo and in particular, Benrahma, are bumped up in FM20. If you add in the French, Spanish and Danish leagues, and exploit the affiliation with FC Midtjylland, then within a couple of seasons, you should be aiming for a promotion push. 

1 hour ago, toffee71 said:

I think that's his last game (I hope) if we lose to spurs this weekend. Hopefully we will have beta before our game with you, so I can improve my footy mood.

We haven't won a domestic away game in over ten months, even you guys should be able to handle this one!

38 minutes ago, dothestrand said:

Seeing as they're my local team and they've been on Sky quite a bit recently, I think I'll make Brentford my first game.

Their transfer approach is superb; find some rough diamonds in the lower leagues or from abroad, polish 'em up, then sell on for huge profits. They've sold Maupay, Konza and Mepham for eight figure sums in the last couple of seasons, and replaced them with guys with high potential. Hopefully the likes of Watkins, Mbeumo and in particular, Benrahma, are bumped up in FM20. If you add in the French, Spanish and Danish leagues, and exploit the affiliation with FC Midtjylland, then within a couple of seasons, you should be aiming for a promotion push. 

I don't normally play as Brentford as I am a fan. But I can't help myself this year, our starting 11 is superb and we have a great group of young talent in our B Team at the moment. 
We have been brilliant in the transfer market over the last 10 years. And very grateful we are owned by a millionaire who happens to be a Brentford fan himself but also has a solid long term vision and sustainable model. 

I'll start with Arsenal in the beta - screw around with the match engine, see how the new features work.

For my first big save, have a couple ideas.

-- Dafuge

-- Building the nation - probably Sweden, maybe Scotland

-- Youth academy challenge; likely in Spain or Italy

I just cant't make my mind. Huge LaLiga fan so I'll start there, but options are too good.

Real Betis (Fan)

Sevilla (Very interesting team, but too good?)

Real Sociedad (Loaded with young very potential players, too easy for years to come?)

Its a bit sad that a guy in his early 50's is waiting for a game to be released and sitting trying to decide who to manage this year.

I have always started as Liverpool and then struggled to get past five or six seasons and I usually try to bring in youth and then when I have I get bored and I am not keen on managing in the lower leagues so have never done a journeyman save.

One of the best ones I did was a Napoli save way back on Champ manager Italia and I am now looking to do something different this year but again with the emphasis on youth.

I have looked at BVB, HSV, Benfica, Lyon but nothing really stands out and I want to use the club as a stepping stone into a bigger club in a different league once I have taken them as far as I can.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

8 minutes ago, badger100 said:

Motherwell?Have a few seasons trying to overtake to top two then see what offers come in? Few big name teams in the BL3, make you're way up & see what comes in?

1 hour ago, badger100 said:

Its a bit sad that a guy in his early 50's is waiting for a game to be released and sitting trying to decide who to manage this year.

I have always started as Liverpool and then struggled to get past five or six seasons and I usually try to bring in youth and then when I have I get bored and I am not keen on managing in the lower leagues so have never done a journeyman save.

One of the best ones I did was a Napoli save way back on Champ manager Italia and I am now looking to do something different this year but again with the emphasis on youth.

I have looked at BVB, HSV, Benfica, Lyon but nothing really stands out and I want to use the club as a stepping stone into a bigger club in a different league once I have taken them as far as I can.

Not sad at all! We are all in the same boat :D

I did a couple of similar saves for FM19, using a club as a stepping stone. The ones I had most fun with were Fenerbahce & Sporting Lisbon. Both in a sense are fallen giants who haven't won anything of note in a while and in a league just behind Europe's top 5 or 6. Other options could also be CSKA Moscow, AZ Alkmaar/ Feyenoord, also perhaps Rangers would be a good challenge to overhaul Celtic and then move to England.

Benfica. They have the Joao Felix money and I like the idea of building a team of wonderkids. I haven't managed a team in Portugal on FM yet but I want to do a save focused on youth recruitment and youth generation. I think I've read somewhere that Portugal has good newgens (Brazil is highest I think) and Benfica on FM 19 have excellent facilities, junior coaching and extensive youth recruitment.

Also looking forward to getting several seasons in and finding out how wonderkids like Erling Håland (surely due a stats boast in FM20?) progress.

23 hours ago, tyro said:

From Twitter:

image.png.0153fe585ea4eac5c8eea8d5da181188.png

I saw that, and it's encouraging, but I don't know if they addressed what I perceived to be the biggest issue with MLS saves: they're too easy because of egregious mismanagement of AI teams. Not suggesting the AI doesn't make bad moves elsewhere (and it should, real clubs do all the time), but with MLS it seems the AI either doesn't understand or fully consider salary cap and registration rules when making some of those transactions.

For example, an AI team might acquire a new CM via transfer from a second tier club in Spain, which by itself could be a great move, but they'll do so without having an available international player slot (or even a designated player slot, depending on the caliber of the player acquired) available, then they'll have to waive a player already on their roster to free up said spot, getting nothing in return. So they'll cough up $3M to upgrade one position, only to lose a key player elsewhere valued at $5M. So not only is that team getting worse, but another team is getting better, for free.

Edited by XuluBak