Early faves to manage FM20?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, PLD3009 said:

Hoping to manage Saint Malo in the French league, only because that was the first place in Europe I ever visited!

I think that’s a great reason for choosing a team ... I always enjoy managing in places that I’ve visited. It gives me some sort of connection with the team.

Liverpool of course initially. But that's more to ensure the way they play as a team and individuals is as realistic as possible. I'll tweak with the editor for the first season to get them spot on compatibility-wise with the AI and any of its anomalies. I usually like to play as IA in the Icelandic league but there were issues in FM19 with the lack of u18/reserve team - a country I know little about, a team I'd never heard of and players I can't pronounce. I also like to play as a team in the lower English divisions. In FM 19 it was Hemel Hempstead and managed to get them in to the EPL - for one season!

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but I think Chester or Wrexham could be very good.

Trying to get Chester back in the football league as they’ve turned part time would be a challenge in itself. 

Wrexham have a very capable squad but not performing in real life, they aren’t that bad and could be another return to the football league.

On 13/08/2019 at 17:59, metallimuse said:

What's everyone thinking to who they will manage this time around?

Manchester United.

I think they count as a fallen giant now? :P Okay, a slightly upper-table team anyway.

If the researcher has appropriately rated them, I'm looking forward to playing with a team of mediocre players, bar Pogba, De Gea, (possibly) AWB and Maguire. I'm looking forward to trying to re-balance the ridiculous wage bill. But that's only *if* they've been rated appropriately. No doubt, Martial will be Ronaldo-like, Rashford will be up there as one of the best strikers in the world and Mata will have the attributes of someone capable of putting out 40 assists a week, never mind a season. 

I kind of hope they have the board interfering with transfers etc, just to make it more challenging, but we'll see.

Anyway, yes, snark aside, United is where I'd go this season, just to rebuild them. It's the smallest of bright spots as a United fan I guess, I used to dislike taking over SAF's teams as they were so good it never felt like I did much for the club, so I was always looking elsewhere. 

Always like to have a job interview when I join a team, seems to add to the realism some how. So will start as I usually do, unemployed with a Sunday League Rep and a load of leagues open for a journeyman worldwide save

On 29/09/2019 at 03:55, PLD3009 said:

Ordered this years version after missing a year.

Going to try and stay away from the top teams/obvious choices.

Hoping to manage Saint Malo in the French league, only because that was the first place in Europe I ever visited!

That's why I keep trying Lancaster City, because I could see the pitch from the train my first time visiting England.

I always get bored of managing Leicester but the squad is absolutely laden with talented young players. Hopefully Ndidi, Chilwell, Maddison, Soyuncu, Choudhury, Tielemans and Barnes have got plenty of PA in the tank  :cool:

I hadn't properly enjoyed a save in years until the last two iterations - but you know that addiction just always itched away and I scratched like a man possessed.

18 & 19 I had saves that started with "pick team for me" and both times hit Preston NE. Both saves have gone on to be some of my favourites of all time. So,  Deepdale seems like a great place to kick off this year too.

9 hours ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

Manchester United.

I think they count as a fallen giant now? :P Okay, a slightly upper-table team anyway.

If the researcher has appropriately rated them, I'm looking forward to playing with a team of mediocre players, bar Pogba, De Gea, (possibly) AWB and Maguire. I'm looking forward to trying to re-balance the ridiculous wage bill. But that's only *if* they've been rated appropriately. No doubt, Martial will be Ronaldo-like, Rashford will be up there as one of the best strikers in the world and Mata will have the attributes of someone capable of putting out 40 assists a week, never mind a season. 

I kind of hope they have the board interfering with transfers etc, just to make it more challenging, but we'll see.

Anyway, yes, snark aside, United is where I'd go this season, just to rebuild them. It's the smallest of bright spots as a United fan I guess, I used to dislike taking over SAF's teams as they were so good it never felt like I did much for the club, so I was always looking elsewhere. 

This is exactly how I feel mate. I would feel bad managing Utd before because of how good they were vs the rest of the league, but now it should be a decent challenge in FM20, especially with how far ahead City and Liverpool are. As a Utd fan (my English team) , it appeals to me this time around. I think I will try to promote the youth as much as possible too. Greenwood has to get games etc. I will probably try and do my best to make sure Joel Pereira succeeds at the club as he's at my main team Hearts atm :D

Edited by Gee_Simpson

17 horas atrás, Gee_Simpson disse:

This is exactly how I feel mate. I would feel bad managing Utd before because of how good they were vs the rest of the league, but now it should be a decent challenge in FM20, especially with how far ahead City and Liverpool are. As a Utd fan (my English team) , it appeals to me this time around. I think I will try to promote the youth as much as possible too. Greenwood has to get games etc. I will probably try and do my best to make sure Joel Pereira succeeds at the club as he's at my main team Hearts atm :D

Totally second this. It's probably the first time I'll start a serious save with United. 6 years without winning the title is too long.

Either Manchester United or Ac Milan to start in the beta before a really long term LLM save. Both giants need to be brought back to their glory. I will probably lean towards Milan tho. Haven't done a proper Milan save in a few years and they have really struggled early this year IRL so it may be realistic taking them over and trying to take out Juve as the top dog in Italy. 

13 hours ago, 99 said:

Totally second this. It's probably the first time I'll start a serious save with United. 6 years without winning the title is too long.

I've actually booted up a United save on 19 this month and i'm walking the league with just one draw and its march. Barely any additiosn as well, some seriously over rated players there.

Well after starting this thread saying I was gunna go Kilmarnock now they’ve sold Greg Taylor I’m leaning towards starting as Motherwell (great youth prospects) or as Dundee United (fallen ‘giant’ in regards to the Scottish game).

Realised today it may only be 2 weeks until the BETA drops and got very excited.

On 02/10/2019 at 12:34, metallimuse said:

Well after starting this thread saying I was gunna go Kilmarnock now they’ve sold Greg Taylor I’m leaning towards starting as Motherwell (great youth prospects) or as Dundee United (fallen ‘giant’ in regards to the Scottish game).

Realised today it may only be 2 weeks until the BETA drops and got very excited.

Not to mention you have Lawrence Shankland he will fire you up first season hopefully half way through can re sign him in the championship with a one year extension clause and get a season in the prem for you. 

3 hours ago, Gross_Ballon said:

Not to mention you have Lawrence Shankland he will fire you up first season hopefully half way through can re sign him in the championship with a one year extension clause and get a season in the prem for you. 

Shankland was the big pull for the Arabs. Signed him at every club I could in FM19 so will build my team around in FM20 at United.

@Deisler26 I think you will like this idea.

Leaning for RKC Waalwijk in Holland now because they are so terrible this season in the Eredivisie that I can at least do a little better. Avoid relegation? Heck no. But it's worth a shot.

Edited by Minuy600

2 hours ago, Minuy600 said:

@Deisler26 I think you will like this idea.

Leaning for RKC Waalwijk in Holland now because they are so terrible this season in the Eredivisie that I can at least do a little better. Avoid relegation? Heck no. But it's worth a shot.

It has to be done. Usually the save is with no pressure, but this time? And youth only? I think it will be so much fun

I had a lot of fun in the Italian league thread this year so maybe a Serie C team (Bari or Cesena could be good) . Either that or a club in France as I have only managed Lyon before. Rennes come to mind since they have a good youth setup from what I can remember.

I like to do long one club saves so it has to be a club with some sort of potential. Already covered Germany, Holland, Belgium, Switzerland, Serbia, Norway, Portugal in FM19 :lol:

Notts County could be interesting. They had a massive wage bill, big debt, abysmal chairman and were relegated down to the Conference. They had a transfer ban that was only lifted a week before the season started too. Now been taken over with some last minutes signings and with a tag as being one of the bigger clubs in the division and are there for the taking - can they pull out of the decline and thrive? Could be a big test.

I'm swaying towards doing a Notts County save, mostly for the reasons stated two posts above this one, but also I haven't managed them since a brilliant save I had on CM 93/94 (the first one with real player names  - green box!), so there's nostalgia reasons too. 

Onlly thing that puts me off is I'm pretty bored managing in the UK. I had a very enjoyable save in Serie A in FM19, and I'm doing a quick save in Colombia in FM17 while I wait for the new game to drop, so I'll probably try abroad. Germany or France possibly. I've never managed in Spain, so may try there. 

Basiccally, I haven't got a scooby what I'm going to do. 

Probably Arsenal though get very bored starting with them after a season or two, usually have a go with Southend (local team) and finally managed to get them in the Prem on this version.

Would love to just start at the bottom and have just the one save going until next year but sadly I never have the patience to carry it on for long.

Always start a journeyman save, load 12 ish countries across Europe, and start at some minnow nation, some little club build them up and my rep and then look to have 3 years and then move on. 

I've never been one for taking control of big clubs, each to their own. I enjoy the long career hopping from club to club becoming a legend with success then finding a new challenge in my FM19 save and only save currntly 35 seasons in, managed 8 teams  various clubs across Europe - 15 league titles, 8 cups, and 2 Europa league titles. 

On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 11:16, Sysiphus said:

I'm moving to Scotland so I'll do a save there to immerse myself in the Scottish football. Only once played in Scotland before, did a Dundee Utd game in FM14 I believe... Don't know who I'll go for this time round.

Ayr United or Dundee United:thup:

My first save game will be with a middle french league team during the beta. But i don't know wich one.

My second will be with a smaller club in europe or south america.  As the first one, i don't know wich club i'll choose.

2 hours ago, JockStein1967 said:

Ayr United or Dundee United:thup:

Quite the battle between those two right now! I'm going for Dundee, the team I watch train on my morning walks pretty much everyday. Will try and go to one of their home games soon to get myself immersed in the club atmosphere.

St Johnstone for me, as always.

Been a solid side for a decade but now falling behind as the bigger Scottish sides sort themselves out. Currently sit rooted to the bottom of the league without a win.

Exciting as local bou done good Stevie May has returned after a hard few years away, in which time injuries savaged his career. The attacking depth is arguably enough to challenge for Europe, but the defence isnt close to it apart from one highly rated youngster.

A turn to home grown youths has seen 5 of them as regulars this season, with a 5th local lad also in there. 

If you fancy a middling Scottish side with a hint of youth, a hint of attacking quality, but plenty of flaws to work on, I'd suggest them.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

St Johnstone for me, as always.

Been a solid side for a decade but now falling behind as the bigger Scottish sides sort themselves out. Currently sit rooted to the bottom of the league without a win.

Exciting as local bou done good Stevie May has returned after a hard few years away, in which time injuries savaged his career. The attacking depth is arguably enough to challenge for Europe, but the defence isnt close to it apart from one highly rated youngster.

A turn to home grown youths has seen 5 of them as regulars this season, with a 5th local lad also in there. 

If you fancy a middling Scottish side with a hint of youth, a hint of attacking quality, but plenty of flaws to work on, I'd suggest them.

Jason Kerr got a bump up didnt he and zander clarke 

14 hours ago, Gross_Ballon said:

Jason Kerr got a bump up didnt he and zander clarke 

Yeah I'm sure they got upgrade in the Winter patch last season. Liam Gordon and Ali McCann the latest youngsters to break through, McCann 19 but been the best player this season, not expecting any major upgrades for them yet though.

17 hours ago, Juventus said:

Also, sleeping giant challenge. Once a good team now at the bottom because of the owner. Just like Parma. 

I had no idea what had happened! They were my go-to Italian side. They always had great youngsters. 

il y a 1 minute, dothestrand a dit :

I had no idea what had happened! They were my go-to Italian side. They always had great youngsters. 

In Serie B there's Pordenone calcio. This team is in Serie B for the first time in its history.

Gotta be Barnsley for me, currently languishing in the bottom three in the Championship irl, just sacked our manager (head coach) and have the youngest squad in the league thanks to the way we operate, signing young players from the spreadsheet.  Basically the Moneyball of football. 

I think my Beta save will be Deportivo Maldonado in Uruguay. Quite a history as the club was used for third party player ownership back in the day so might be an interesting one. Main save i think will be Messina in Serie D when an expansion pack comes out. 

Sheffield Wednesday every time. Can't seem to get into a game or celebrate a goal when it's not my club. Did have a great save with Coventry in FM19 though. 

Anyone know if the non league pyramids are available? Be interested in starting with Sheffield FC

10 minutes ago, redders1977 said:

Sheffield Wednesday every time. Can't seem to get into a game or celebrate a goal when it's not my club. Did have a great save with Coventry in FM19 though. 

Anyone know if the non league pyramids are available? Be interested in starting with Sheffield FC

Give it a few months before a database for England Lower Leagues is out. Very complicated to create due to the make up of the regional leagues.  

8 hours ago, redders1977 said:

Complete opposite for me, I just can't manage us as losing hurts too much...you'd think I'd be used to it by now!

1 hour ago, TheWednesday said:

Complete opposite for me, I just can't manage us as losing hurts too much...you'd think I'd be used to it by now!

I like taking us to glory as its complete contrast to how bad we've been in real life !!

Thinking I'll be starting off at Bloomfield Road and trying to get those Seasiders back into the Premier League. Quite fancy a game with RB Salzburg as well, enjoyed a game with them a few years ago when they had Keita playing for them.