Football Manager TV: Matchday

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks really promising and a step in the right direction. 

Now if only goalkeepers can be sent off I’d be absolutely delighted :D

However, I guess that may be one for the future still as nothing was mentioned about significant change to the match engine. 

I’m happy with this. Some good changes and certainly moving in the right direction.

New graphics engine this year, 64 bit support added last year... feels to me like they’re starting to future proof the game, ready for big steps in the next few editions. 

9 minutes ago, tyler16 said:

Thoughts as I go.

- Pre-match panel is decent but nothing new. Custom skins have been doing this, and doing it better, for a while now.

- Don't love the idea of prematch tactic talks. Think they'll get extremely repetitive.

- Cutscenes and improved team talks are nice but again I feel people will eventually end up delegating this to the assistant/clicking through quickly.

- ...and more clicking with pre-match interviews.

- Refined scoreboard is fine but again, custom skins have done this for a while and made much more impressive panels.

- The "analysis" displayed doesn't really tell us anything useful, pretty much just volume stats over small samples. Would have been nice to see things like xG implemented.

- In-match tactics panel looks extremely cluttered and intrusive to me.

- Not sold on shouts having any place in FM.

- Not doubting the new graphics engine but it looks nearly identical to me.

- Post-match data options and maps look nice.

Not trying to be overly critical, but nothing here excites me tbh. Just refined features that are tedious/poorly implemented to begin with and improved interface options that are inferior to what the skinning community has been producing for years. Hope the actual match engine is much improved but I have my doubts considering it's hardly been mentioned.

+1

Nice work guys, really....

I observe the new animations when controlling the ball, the goalkeepers reacting at the same time that the striker finishes the goal, it seems improved the physics of the ball and the players seems to glide less. It looks very promising and I really appreciate giving us a quality product year after year, it shows that they work with passion. Thank you SI

2 minutes ago, StormenDK said:

I wonder if they, this year, have finally gotten the sound right? :) ... for years now, the 1.000 spectator crowd at Twerton Park sounds exactly like 40.000 at Stadium of Light.

Given how Sunderland are doing that sounds about right. 😉

Graphics improvements are always welcome, personally I could do without all the added pre-match meetings/interviews/teamtalks (more clicks and repetitive dialogues).

One thing that didn't look very promising to me was the AM feedback/advice example: basically his analysis is 'hey we're winning headers, so pump the ball into box, cross early and float crosses'. I don't know, I was hoping for some more thoughtful feedback here, I'm afraid I'll just have to keep ignoring AM as always.

Guest El Payaso

Even in this type of video you basically cannot help but to see the short clip of the ME to analyze it. The longer clip about passage of play after three minutes actually looks quite good as it seems that players try to apply some kind of pressure on ball carrier and actually chasing the ball but what seems best is that the centre backs actually engage with the striker when the ball is played towards him and they actually win the first ball. 

On 3.55 though when you look at the analysis it seems that teams still are hammering huge amounts of crosses in. 

Otherwise nothing major to say about, just going to have to see how things work. Still not fan of delegating but didn't really expect that to go away. 

I want this game really badly.

Trophy celebrations weren't mentioned specifically, but it makes sense that these would come under the category of "Cut Scenes" (!!) I'm glad they weren't shown in the video because it's going to be so sweet to finally win something and get to see this unfold for myself. Can I bring myself to hope that perhaps there may be a Cut Scene with one of my players running to hug me after scoring an important goal...? Or perhaps the Dynamics feature could also influence the chances of a Dyer vs Bowyer type Cut Scene... A streaker? (hahahaha)

In terms of pulling out fun surprises I think this could be an absolute goldmine, and is definitely the understated part of the video.

I can't be the only one who thinks that in terms of changes FM18 looks like one of the biggest in quite some time? Personally I'm really impressed. Thanks SI.

The only video so far that made me want to buy the game.

Looks great.

The caveat being with so many new elements it might take a patch or two to iron out any teething problems.

Looks like SI have made a big effort this year, well done 👍

I am amazed that the change to DX11 didn't happen sooner. 

Stadiums look amazing in that video. Only concern I have is how long the whole pre-match ritual is to get on with the games. The Pre-match meeting, pre-match selection, pre-match talks, tunnel interviews. Whew. For slow players like me it'll take an age to get through! 

But they  look like great changes all the same.

16 minutes ago, YKW said:

I want this game really badly.

Trophy celebrations weren't mentioned specifically, but it makes sense that these would come under the category of "Cut Scenes" (!!) I'm glad they weren't shown in the video because it's going to be so sweet to finally win something and get to see this unfold for myself. Can I bring myself to hope that perhaps there may be a Cut Scene with one of my players running to hug me after scoring an important goal...? Or perhaps the Dynamics feature could also influence the chances of a Dyer vs Bowyer type Cut Scene... A streaker? (hahahaha)

In terms of pulling out fun surprises I think this could be an absolute goldmine, and is definitely the understated part of the video.

I can't be the only one who thinks that in terms of changes FM18 looks like one of the biggest in quite some time? Personally I'm really impressed. Thanks SI.

Apart the bolded part, I really agree. Cut scenes really offer bags of possibilities regarding emphasising stories that develop inside the gameworld. The Dynamics between players could be shown via cutscenes... A player cursing you as he comes off the field in 60th minute. Players fighting to take penalties :D A player pointing at you after you've criticised him... lots of options.

Regarding the bolded part... I think there's very little new in this FM. It seems as a transition, a stremlining of the game. Dynamics were already in the game, they have been better presented. Injuries were also there, they have only been redone to be better presented. They did a lot of little steps that move the game forward. This includes an introduction of new engine that makes fundation for future.

What I am not happy about, is that we still haven't seen the core of the game - the ME.

31 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

Apart the bolded part, I really agree. Cut scenes really offer bags of possibilities regarding emphasising stories that develop inside the gameworld. The Dynamics between players could be shown via cutscenes... A player cursing you as he comes off the field in 60th minute. Players fighting to take penalties :D A player pointing at you after you've criticised him... lots of options.

Regarding the bolded part... I think there's very little new in this FM. It seems as a transition, a stremlining of the game. Dynamics were already in the game, they have been better presented. Injuries were also there, they have only been redone to be better presented. They did a lot of little steps that move the game forward. This includes an introduction of new engine that makes fundation for future.

What I am not happy about, is that we still haven't seen the core of the game - the ME.

For all those and yourself wanting to see more "development of new features", I think that's just not gonna happen. I think all the core developmental areas the game of football can offer have been covered by SI. The pressing is not perfect, but it's there.., all the other features are also present though not at their absolute peak development status yet. We shouldn't really expect this coming version, or indeed any other upcoming versions to drastically improve on things already on ground. The only possible improvements are only fine-tuning and incremental additions as all the basic things have been added over the years one by one.

Just like smartphones, general electronics and other innovative inventions of the millennium, the rapid growth phase has either been reached or past. We are at the stage where small things will be added to pad the already existing fiber. Nothing more, nothing less.

Some pple need to be realistic, SERIOUSLY.

Nothing really special for me.. i also didn't saw such a new animations in the ME.. but lets wait for the beta and see.. im very hoping the ME is better than ever,because that is the main source of the game.

Edited by GOODNAME

Just me, or do the standard kit templates seem nicer this year?

Echo the comments above re good improvements, but really want to see any changes to the ME before judging fully. Colours might be a little over-saturated too on first impressions?

1 minute ago, Morrissey said:

Just me, or do the standard kit templates seem nicer this year?

Echo the comments above re good improvements, but really want to see any changes to the ME before judging fully. Colours might be a little over-saturated too on first impressions?

Yes that is  the first thing i went "Oh wow kit templates have drastically improved"

Yes SI seem to heading in the right direction and hopefully this will be developed further in the next two or three realeases.  Some of the stadiums look more realistic than others, from a personal point of view as I mentioned in a previous post the stairwells look out of scale, (or is it just me) and on a couple, the floodlights didn't look realistic at all, and looked like they had been drawn on bring your child to work day, but as i say "right direction".  not sure if I will give up my FM16 save for FM18 though, I will reserve judgement until I have seen the demo.

I liked de video. 

Nothing big, but many little features, and it's always nice to have a fresh look to the game. 

When I as seeing the part related with the team talk, to the team, to player, to sectors, and then in the tunnel, Jesus... I just thought... Thank God I only play FMT. :D

Really like the customisable angle camera, the new stadium, and the little part of the video when we see the teams enter the field. Hope that will be something similar for the end match and celebrating competition wins. 

As I said, nothing mind blowing, but to honest I wasn't expecting to. The match day experience, 3D graphics and ME are always more like a working process. 

14 minutes ago, Keyzer Soze said:

When I as seeing the part related with the team talk, to the team, to player, to sectors, and then in the tunnel, Jesus... I just thought... Thank God I only play FMT. :D

Would have liked more detail on that aspect as all I saw was something we've been able to do for a few versions, team/unit/individual team-talk options by itself is not a new feature.

Good to hear SI moving over to DX11, not cutting edge but nonetheless a positive move as DX9 will have been holding back what they could do with both graphics & match engines, hopefully not adopting DX12 will not see SI ending up in the same boat a few years from now as they stick with an increasingly outdated graphics API but the financial pressure to not exclude a large portion of the player base & to go with a proven system are understandable when you don;t have a mass market appeal.

I do like the cleaner look of the pitch view layout & that less cluttered style seems to be an overall positive theme in the videos & one that I hope to take full advantage of when using a larger hi-res display.

1 minute ago, Barside said:

Would have liked more detail on that aspect as all I saw was something we've been able to do for a few versions, team/unit/individual teamtalk options by itself is not a new feature

I didn't know it was already in the game. Haven't play the full version since FM13. :)

3 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

I don't wait to see it in a features video but i really hope they "put" more depth in International management...

Would love to see this part of the game sorted, and call me a pessimist, but it won't happen simply because the masses don't care for it.  

I'm not massively techy, but what does this switch Direct X11 mean for current mac users?

Overall though, it seems encouraging, nice video, but wouldn't mind more along the lines of being able to edit the stadiums, cut-scenes for trophy wins, more improvement around international management (which I feel is a little shallow currently) - a few of these points have already been alluded too in here too.

Hopefully the new pre-match additions don't become too stale and repetitive like current press conferences and team talks can become.

I've pre-ordered already though, I'm sure it will be an improvement on FM17. Keep up the great work. :thup:

For this video i was hoping for some kind of improvements. Well there was a lot of improvements, for sure, but there other stuff i need to say... more stuff... meh.

The first is basically all more clicks to go through before starting to see the match. Oh God, it seems to be a never ending clicks before to get to the actual core of the game. Less is more. Which I hope none of that is included in FMT. :)

The 3D has been improved, the players have more natural movement. it is nice to see some improvement. There were bits that I felt the ball speed seemed unrealistic, like it flew too fast for the power the player shoot the ball. But I will wait for further match videos if that happens or if it was me. If (and that is big if) I buy this game, cannot wait to see this match graphics up close in FMT.

Overall, the 3D graphics improvemnt is a big bonus, but too bad there was no news for those in mac community, about implementation of Metal or Metal 2. As for the rest... well let's say: Thank God for FMT (FMC).

Edited by grade

A lot of complaining about team talks, pre match stuff and alike stuff. Am i the only one that see this is actual football? Everyday, the manager says something to the players, every game has a press conference, every game, the manager talks in the locker room, why so much fuss about it? FM is simulating real football, so lets have it has it is!

Don't like it? FMT

Already bought the game, but with this, im gonna put some vacations days, sorry boss!

Edited by apvmoreira