BBC or ITV for the Final?

craigcwwe

What channel for the final?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. BBC or ITV?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/07/21 at 18:59

there is no chance anybody is watching ITV even if they are scheduling The Italian Job before the game which does show creativity but then you remember it's Matterface, Dixon and Pougatch

BBC, always BBC

But out of interest what is the logic of both broadcasters showing the final? I know its always been done, but the whole point of BBC showing live sport is as a public service to ensure our citizens get to watch the biggest events.

If they were sharing with a pay-TV provider it would make perfect sense to share the final. But they're partnering with a free-to-air channel that relies on advertising revenue

I HATE ITV, but surely for the final, all the BBC are doing is taking viewership away from ITV.

Clearly BBC are better at it, so you can argue that's the public service element. But they don't have to be better at it. 

18 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Obviously BBC.

They will all be fully suited up as well with their ties done up to eleven. Even though they are open necked shirts for the whole rest of the tournament. Every time.

ITV are always dressed to the nines for England friendlies/qualifiers and always go more casual at tournaments - even when England are playing. But at this tournament, they've gone back to ties and jackets for the three England games they've covered so far.

12 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

BBC, always BBC

But out of interest what is the logic of both broadcasters showing the final? I know its always been done, but the whole point of BBC showing live sport is as a public service to ensure our citizens get to watch the biggest events.

If they were sharing with a pay-TV provider it would make perfect sense to share the final. But they're partnering with a free-to-air channel that relies on advertising revenue

I HATE ITV, but surely for the final, all the BBC are doing is taking viewership away from ITV.

Clearly BBC are better at it, so you can argue that's the public service element. But they don't have to be better at it. 

only a quick google search but I think both channels showing the final of a major competition goes back a long way

BBC had the Euro 2008 final live with ITV showing highlights later on seems to be the only time it hasn't happened since 1998 (as far as I could be bothered to search) :D I honestly thought there was times where ITV weren't showing the final live and it was BBC as most of the memories from those finals are BBC - usually Motson screeching away.  "Trezegueeeeeeet" in the Euro 2000 final for example 

1 minute ago, TM said:

only a quick google search but I think both channels showing the final of a major competition goes back a long way

BBC had the Euro 2008 final live with ITV showing highlights later on seems to be the only time it hasn't happened since 1998 (as far as I could be bothered to search) :D I honestly thought there was times where ITV weren't showing the final live and it was BBC as most of the memories from those finals are BBC - usually Motson screeching away.  "Trezegueeeeeeet" in the Euro 2000 final for example 

Yeh I know its gone back forever. Same with the FA Cup. I'm just wanting to understand the logic behind the BBC as a state owned broadcaster taking away advertising revenue from ITV in showing the exact same match.

To be clear I don't really care, and this isn't an "anti-BBC" post or discussion. Just interested if anybody knows the logic.

Edited by Mr Adam

22 minutes ago, CFuller said:

ITV are always dressed to the nines for England friendlies/qualifiers and always go more casual at tournaments - even when England are playing. But at this tournament, they've gone back to ties and jackets for the three England games they've covered so far.

BBC are always in suits and ties for the final but not for the other games. Regardless of whether England are playing or not.

Tbf, the ITV panel of Keane, Neville and Wright is more than decent but they automatically lose all their points because of the comms partnership. 
So, BBC it is for me. Jenas is annoying but not enough to consider entertaining another 90-120 mins of Matterface and Dixon. 

BBC, just because it’s no Matterface or Pougtach. Who both of them make the football viewing absolutely dreadful. 

Matterface needs sacking off. Was an absolute mess last night, and for iconic commentary in years to come, he was just not that. 

Commentary team is the main factor for me, so even though Lineker is miles better than Pougatch, I would have gone ITV had they gone with the team of Tyldesley and McCoist. However, as they have inexplicably gone with the woeful Matterface and Dixon, BBC's not quite as bad pairing of Pearce and Keown get the nod.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Rebs said:

BBC...and it'll be in uhd as well whereas I don't think ITV is 

Have to say I tried the UHD stream on iPlayer and couldn't really tell much difference. If anything the coverage seemed darker/duller

1 hour ago, sebsy said:

Commentary team is the main factor for me, so even though Lineker is miles better than Pougatch, I would have gone ITV had they gone with the team of Tyldesley and McCoist. However, as they have inexplicably gone with the woeful Matterface and Dixon, BBC's not quite as bad pairing of Pearce and Keown get the nod.

unless that's been announced, I expect the BBC commentary team to be Mowbray and Jenas as it's been for all England games

if that was the team, it's sort of 50-50 on which channel to pick (other than the pundits) can't stand Pearce and Keown adds nothing

Matterface is pretty crap but Dixon isn't too bad, does at least say what he thinks and is certainly less annoying than Jenas. And Pearce is simply insufferable!

Love Lineker and Shearer but Neville, Wright and Keane slightly edge it and Emma Hayes seems equal to Alex Scott minus the looks sadly.

Adverts drive me mad on ITV but then that's why it's free.