BBC or ITV for the Final?

craigcwwe

What channel for the final?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. BBC or ITV?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/07/21 at 18:59

4 hours ago, sebsy said:

Commentary team is the main factor for me, so even though Lineker is miles better than Pougatch, I would have gone ITV had they gone with the team of Tyldesley and McCoist. However, as they have inexplicably gone with the woeful Matterface and Dixon, BBC's not quite as bad pairing of Pearce and Keown get the nod.

Unless it's been announced already as the comms team for the game I'd expect it to be Pearce/Mowbray and Jenas. 

1 hour ago, BoroPhil said:

BBC because no ads.

Am I the only person who thinks Matterface isn't *that* bad?

I would've thought so yes.

He's utterly atrocious and needs to get in the bin. 

Edited by craigcwwe

I get less annoyed by commentators than most people (the boring ones I just filter out, and Jonathan Pearce getting very excited by something he's completely misunderstood is part of the fun of the occasion) but even I'm struggling to understand how we've got a radio news bloke talking about "staff" and not understanding that Mount wasn't trying to shoot from the byline in the front line of a major tournament.

2 hours ago, TM said:

unless that's been announced, I expect the BBC commentary team to be Mowbray and Jenas as it's been for all England games

if that was the team, it's sort of 50-50 on which channel to pick (other than the pundits) can't stand Pearce and Keown adds nothing

24 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Unless it's been announced already as the comms team for the game I'd expect it to be Pearce and Jenas.

Christ, Jenas is worse than Keown.

10 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

I get less annoyed by commentators than most people (the boring ones I just filter out, and Jonathan Pearce getting very excited by something he's completely misunderstood is part of the fun of the occasion) but even I'm struggling to understand how we've got a radio news bloke talking about "staff" and not understanding that Mount wasn't trying to shoot from the byline in the front line of a major tournament.

I know people always throw out the goal-line one from 2014 but his shocked reaction to it still being light in summer in Scotland at 10pm was probably almost as good :D

should go further north, they've got light until 11pm or even later

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, sebsy said:

Christ, Jenas is worse than Keown.

Jenas with his sheet of cliches and then saying one of them every 2 minutes. Can't make his mind up whether the team should keep the ball or get it forward. 

Wonder if 5 Live commentary is an option? 

27 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Jenas with his sheet of cliches and then saying one of them every 2 minutes. Can't make his mind up whether the team should keep the ball or get it forward. 

Wonder if 5 Live commentary is an option? 

Or Keown with his boxing analogies.

Radio 5 Live commentary seems to be an option for Sunday but you have to go through the iPlayer which would defeat the purpose if you had neighbours or a phone who will almost certainly tell you about events you are about a minute behind from watching ;)

Radio commentary is normally better aside from the now ditched Alan Green. I wonder whether the words matter more on radio or it's just pot luck, I happen to think the local BBC commentators in the Midlands are pretty good as well.

I'm with EUH on Keown, he has good moments and bad moments but Jenas offers nothing of use.

Duncan Alexander pointed out on a podcast that co-commentators used to be terrible, a lot of "he'll be disappointed with that."

I have no idea who is a good co-commentator as I do t listen to Sky much, I didn't mind Hoddle before and I liked Trevor Brooking but I think that's only because he was on PES.

Also I doubt it will be Pearce for the final, he is not a lead commentator for the BBC which tends to be split between Steve Wilson and Guy Mowbray.

• Administrators

Apparently these are the teams for the final: 

BBC it is then. 

Some people in the comments want Motty back for the final, but I think that would be about as disappointing as Jim Ross' return to pro wrestling commentary.

• SI Staff

Matterface is constantly reaching for a line to make him famous for years to come, but hes just really bad and gets it all wrong he went on about something like do whatever you want tomorrow at the end of the semi.

BBC not picking up Clive Tyldesley after ITV dropped him as main commentator was so dumb. 

Look at the commentary teams for the final. 4 commentators not in his league ffs. 

BBC’s hard on at trying to make Jenas the next Lineker is so embarrassing. The guy is horrendous. 

If you want someone to build around go for Alex Scott or Micah Richards, even Rio Ferdinand (who I think is a bit of a tool) is more entertaining to watch than Jenas. 

Lee Dixon is dreadful though on commentary. How does he still get a gig doing it :D 

1 minute ago, PaulHartman71 said:

BBC not picking up Clive Tyldesley after ITV dropped him as main commentator was so dumb. 

Look at the commentary teams for the final. 4 commentators not in his league ffs. 

BBC’s hard on at trying to make Jenas the next Lineker is so embarrassing. The guy is horrendous. 

If you want someone to build around go for Alex Scott or Micah Richards, even Rio Ferdinand (who I think is a bit of a tool) is more entertaining to watch than Jenas. 

Lee Dixon is dreadful though on commentary. How does he still get a gig doing it :D 

R.e. next Lineker, Alex Scott could maybe do it. I'm not sure Micah is suited for it, he's better (in small doses) as the easy going guy in my view, similar to how Ian Wright is. Not convinced he could be the anchor like Lineker where he'd have to be a bit more serious. Ferdinand is just a muppet, shouldn't be involved in any capacity.

I think Dixon was good on BBC, not sure why he's gone to **** on ITV these days. Maybe it's the same problem as a few others have where he's more suited as a studio pundit than a co-commentator.

It is pretty rubbish that England could win a major tournament final and Jermaine Jenas is the one describing it.

Used to be Kevin Keegan, Jack Charlton, Trevor Brooking etc supporting the actual comentator at these events. Legendary figures of the English game. 

4 hours ago, RTHerringbone said:

I've got my setup sorted. Just going to mute the BBC footage on TV and stream the Five Live commentary separately to a Sonos speaker in the living room. Avoids the delay you'd get if doing it via iPlayer :cool:

How would you sync the audio to the video then? Why are people this particular about the commentary? If I don’t like the commentary, I just mute it and overplay music in the background. There, problem solved. 😇😊

The thing is, I remember Jenas as being relatively insightful when he first joined the MotD team, but ever since the first couple of years he's gradually become more and more insufferable. It makes you wonder whether the BBC have deliberately coached him to be more dull and use more non-sequitur clichés.

The 5 Live team blows both the BBC TV and ITV commentary crews out the water - Pat Nevin in particular on co-comms is excellent, don't know why he doesn't get asked to do the TV comms because he's so much more natural at being able to explain the game than any of the ones that do get on.

• SI Staff
5 hours ago, RTHerringbone said:

Music? During a football match? What?! :D
It should naturally be in sync. It's just two live broadcasts via two different media sources at the same time.

Be surprised if they were synced really, can't you use the red button to get the 5 live commentary anyway? they should then handle the sync for you

Just now, EdL said:

Be surprised if they were synced really, can't you use the red button to get the 5 live commentary anyway? they should then handle the sync for you

Hopefully. The implication earlier was that you could only get that option via the iPlayer and I'm not going down that route. Whatever happens, I won't have to put up with Sam Matterface.

6 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

Hopefully. The implication earlier was that you could only get that option via the iPlayer and I'm not going down that route. Whatever happens, I won't have to put up with Sam Matterface.

had a look on the Freeview EPG and it says 5 Live commentary on the red button channel there which is 601

obviously could change but at the moment it says it's going to be an alternative for people who don't want the main channels commentary :thup: well technically it doesn't say that but it's basically the idea

Edited by TM

20 hours ago, EdL said:

Matterface is constantly reaching for a line to make him famous for years to come, but hes just really bad and gets it all wrong he went on about something like do whatever you want tomorrow at the end of the semi.

"If this comes off, you can do what you want tonight.  You’ve had a terrible 16 months; kids you can stay up, don’t you dare go to bed. The rest of you, call your boss, you ain’t coming in in the morning. You  deserve this. England deserve this. Feel it, ride it. All that outpouring of emotion is just 50 seconds away."

I miss Natalie. :(

But if Matterface comes up with another of his 'facts' (e.g. Insigne is as tall as Arya Stark, Phil Foden was born the week after Barbara Cartland died), I guarantee I'll be posting that Sawyer thumbs-up photo again. :D

He's also the antithesis of someone like Barry Davies, who often used to let the pictures speak for themselves. Matterface is only concerned with throwing anything out there in the hope that something sticks. That's the main reason why I prefer Guy Mowbray, who's not in the same league as Barry or Motty but does at least know when not to say too much.

Now... Lee Dixon.

I actually liked Lee Dixon as a pundit a few years ago. But he lost his way around 2018, when he called Keylor Navas the "most overrated keeper in the world" because he didn't save a Rashford worldie. Now he's just dire and stale, especially compared to Ally "Kid in a sweet shop" McCoist or Emma "I actually did my research" Hayes.

I liked Dixon on MOTD2 with Chiles, the partnership worked well. I wonder how much pundit analysis is their own doing or how much help they get from researchers which might be why they are worse on co-comms.

Emma Hayes he shown you can understand it in real time, I wonder if women's football coaches are a good idea in general as they should understand the game but not have a fear of criticising mates. By all accounts Klopp was good on German TV when he was at Mainz but current men's managers might not see the TV money as worth it.

Edited by The_jagster

Matterface is very similar to how Tyler is on Sky now

always looking for that catchphrase, always looking for that moment rather than as somebody said above "letting the pictures speak for themselves".  As much as it's commentary that will go down in history, Tyler's "Aguerrrrooooo" moment might have been when he started to become a shadow of himself.  Matterface will know that whatever the result is tomorrow (an England win obviously would be better) this game is going down in history and he needs something to allow to be part of it

although they'll probably take the BBC commentary you'd think because hardly anybody is going to watch on ITV :D