The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

Pickford: Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw: Henderson, Rice, Grealish: Sterling, Kane, Foden

Hopefully that'll be the team tonight, in a 4-2-3-1 if Maguire/Henderson have to get minutes to prove themselves. Mings/Phillips to come back in for L16 game if they don't.

I think it'll be

Pickford: Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw: Henderson, Rice, Phillips: Sterling, Kane, Rashford

Subs: 

Sterling, Kane, Rice out for Grealish, DCL and Bellingham

and we'll still be wondering if Sancho will ever get minutes :( 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Henderson - Rice - Phillips is a very conservative midfield

This is Southgate we are talking about. Can see him very much looking at that.

Personally speaking I would go with just one of them, probably Henderson. 

Since we are through, I would go with: 

Henderson; Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw; Henderson, Bellingham; Sancho, Grealish, Saka; DCL

But won't happen in a million years :D 

Just now, Barry Cartman said:

Just realised as well, we're sitting 2nd so actually need to win this game :D 

That depends who you ask. I believe if we win, we face Germany, Portugal or France (or Hungary!), but do get to play at Wembley.

Just now, Baptista_8 said:

That depends who you ask. I believe if we win, we face Germany, Portugal or France (or Hungary!), but do get to play at Wembley.

I retract what I said earlier and fully behind us needing to play at Wembley, so must win game for me 

1 hour ago, Rob1981 said:

So if we win the group our R16 game is on Tuesday 29th and they can be out of isolation. If we are 2nd in the group we play on Monday 28th so they would be unavailable.

I mean it’s a bit farcical, especially if they’ve returned negative tests but there you are. Guess that’s another reason to go for the throat tonight and then we would play a day later if we win.

they've only taken Lateral flow tests, which are crap. Plus symptoms take time to develop, hence the 10 day quarantine.

If England come 2nd, they'll just end up playing the winner of Group F in the QF anyway. And would have to do so in Russia. Winner of Group F is going to play Switzerland or Ukraine (if Ukraine get through), so you can't imagine them losing at R16 stage.

Might also have to play Spain at R16 stage if Group E results put Spain in 2nd.

39 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Henderson - Rice - Phillips is a very conservative midfield. I'd put Grealish in for one of Rice/Phillips in that situation. Can then field two of Rashford/Sancho/Foden on the wings. 

It is - but equally in the 4-2-3-1 the front 4 looked pretty isolated against Scotland.  4-3-3 would hopefully link play better.

30 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Kane

Sterling  Grealish  Foden

Bellingham  Henderson

I'd like to see tonight 

I mean none of us really rate Pickford but that's a bit harsh :D

2 hours ago, Barry Cartman said:

Is Sancho the new Grealish? Will Lee Dixon spend 60 minutes telling us we need to bring him on and the camera keep panning to him until he comes on and runs into a substitute?  

Are you David Squires in disguise?

image.png.1133e58b50fb08a3881bd85777aa50f0.png

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2021/jun/22/david-squires-on-euro-2020-plans-going-awry

3 minutes ago, arenaross said:

OTF chaos in 3...2...1...

Doubt it. It's only the Villa fans like you and EnterUsernameHere who got in a froth over him not starting. The rest of us were pretty indifferent and didn't care either way as we understood why others might have been preferred.

We just got sick of Villa fans trying to convince us that it was such a great injustice.

Edited by Tony85

If we win tonight, we play on the Tuesday so Mason Mount will be available for it.
If we lose/draw tonight, we play on the Monday and Mason Mount will be out of it. And if we are unlucky, we get Sweden, in Copenhagen, which is practically a tough, hostile away trip.

12 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Pretty sure most of us were saying he should start :D 

Until the Scotland game surely? 

I think Sterling has been very poor this tournament noting goal, but Grealish was also very poor against Scozia.

Everyone was either off the pace or pace against Scotland, because mindset from word go was to nullify certain threats from Scotland, rather than actually make them having to deal more with our attacks. Cautious stuff, which hopefully we won't see tonight.

Do you not think the Czechs will rest players tonight?  Already through, not expected to win the group and probably don't want to so a perfect opportunity to rest their big players.

1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

Hearing rumours. (well bloke at work showed me a tweet) that Saka is going to start 

If it's the same one I saw then it'll be : Pickford; Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw; Rice, Phillips; Saka, Sterling, Grealish; Kane.

bit harsh to drop Mings as he'd been pretty tidy in his first two games but can see the logic in getting minutes in Maguire's legs. I must be one of the few people not really bothered about Henderson starting either; Saka and Grealith both starting does have me intrigued though.

I like that team, if true. Resting Foden cos he's on a yellow and presumably playing Grealish in the middle where Mount would have been and keeping the Rice-Phillips combo because Grealish is unlikely to defend much.

I really like Saka too. Hope Sancho gets on for a runout though.

I could obviously be wrong but I don't think Southgate has any intentions of using Sancho

feels like he was only taken because the press kept going on about his stats in the Bundesliga which are impressive and so they wouldn't say "why didn't you take Sancho?" to him in interviews

What's he supposed to be like in training?

He like Foden has had a few indiscipline problems with younger age groups such as missing buses etc and has been punished for that in the past. Could he be one of those players who don't appear to put as much effort into training or is he supposed to work really hard?

The other problem for him is that in his limited appearances for England he hasn't exactly taken his chance.

Just now, Tony85 said:

What's he supposed to be like in training?

He like Foden has had a few indiscipline problems with younger age groups such as missing buses etc and has been punished for that in the past. Could he be one of those players who don't appear to put as much effort into training or is he supposed to work really hard?

The other problem for him is that in his limited appearances for England he hasn't exactly taken his chance.

You don't hear a bad word about him in Germany, even when he lost some form. It's exceptionally strange to not use him 

5 minutes ago, aiston said:

Has anything been said why Scottish players don't have to self isolate, they've surely been closer than the two English players were.

:D

Southgate has asked that question in his recent press conference. I've had loads of Scottish folk on my twitter replying abuse to him, but he has a point :D 

3 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

The Sancho thing is strange but zero chance I'm buying that Southgate doesn't like/rate him. He called him up pretty early on and chucked him into team quite early too. 

It’s ridiculous hyperbole. I’d like him to start but there are perfectly legitimate arguments for starting Saka/Sterling instead.

Just now, Astafjevs said:

Just say the name Grealish and the Villa fans appear. 

If we get them to say his name backwards, do they get sent to another dimension for 90 days?

Jesus man. I just called someone out on a very lazy assumption, I am allowed to discuss things on here.

• Administrators

Lighten up :D 

I would play Sancho over Saka, personally. 

More worrying with all the rotation though is what is Southgate's plan if Sterling or Kane are unavailable? Do the players even know what that is? And I don't just mean the last 10-15 mins to close out a game.