The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd quite like to see Grealish start on the wing with Sancho on the other tbh as we've seen Sterling and Foden out there for 2 games and this one doesn't really matter so i'd be interested to see if they could make a case for them being better options in the knockouts.

Hopefully a Foden/Bellingham midfield in front of 1 DM as well but i cant see us being that adventurous tbh.

Whose the unlucky player not to make the bench other than the obvious two? Can never remember who we are missing.

Nevermind it's Foden which makes sense.

Edited by Tony85

• Administrators

I worry about Sterling and Kane playing so many minutes over the backup options to be honest, particularly if we need to throw those on in the later games and this one doesn't matter so much. Reckon Rice could have done with rest as well, think he's quite key for us in the bigger games.

No Sancho is hugely disappointing.

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Tbf Kane had to start to try and get some rhythm. I would happily have dropped Sterling as there are plenty of better alternatives.

Think Gareth sees Rashford as the natural sub there (and tbf, Rashford could do with the game time as he's ahead the pecking order on DCL too) 

First half 8/10, 2nd half 6/10.

Job done and through. Not convinced still by overall performances, allowed Czech 2nd half to control that game but they’re poor so was easy stuff. Hopefully a big win over like Germany in L16 really kicks starts things. Get a big side like that over with early doors rather than stumble further before meeting one.

Would like to see us control games better in terms of possession in 2nd half when we’re ahead. 1-0 up against Germany and we allow Kroos/Gundogan to have loads of the ball, it’s asking for trouble. 

Edited by pearcey_90

Game started promising like the previous 2 games did, difference was we got the early goal this time. Didn't see that much difference overall, but people seem far more positive about the performance 

I don't think Grealish has done enough over the past few games to demand a place, but Saka has certainly given Southgate something to think about, he was outstanding both going forward and his discipline tracking back 

2 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Game started promising like the previous 2 games did, difference was we got the early goal this time. Didn't see that much difference overall, but people seem far more positive about the performance 

I don't think Grealish has done enough over the past few games to demand a place, but Saka has certainly given Southgate something to think about, he was outstanding both going forward and his discipline tracking back 

Over the past few games? He was MOTM in the warmup game, had 25 mins against Scotland, and played well today, none of our attacking players had enough of the ball in the second half. He's also had 4/5 MOTMs in about 8 caps.

I agree on Saka, had a great game, and I agree with GNev, I'd be tempted to go with the same three next game.

Kane was a lot better tonight, well in the first half when we actually were going for it. Good link up, actually moving around. Should have scored. Wasn't an incredible performance but much better (not hard I know)

Grealish was effective with the other 3, great cross for the goal. He is good at drawing fouls but so is Sterling and Saka.

Saka MOTM surely, fearless going forwards, disciplined going back, bundles of energy. Love him.

Phillips had a good game too I thought, as did Shaw. 

Overall well controlled despite a few hiccups in the first half and the second was a non event for both teams.

3-4-3 wouldn't be too bad. Their wing backs are fantastic but their back three are dreadful, we can get at them just as easily as they can get at us. Even more so with France, I mean they were fortunate to get a point from Hungary for a start.

Portugal are probably the team we'd struggle against the most, Germany apart they're usually tough to break down and beat and they're all about feeding Ronaldo on the counter.

Hungary would probably be a grind it out until they break 1-0 win or something that will have everyone frothing again even though we'd be quarter finalists and no goals conceded ;)

Edited by Haguey

15 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Or we just go **** it and enter full Pep mode with a false 9, because let's face it, Kane has offered nothing over 3 games 

You really think Southgate is tactically clever enough to pull that off?

2 minutes ago, Haguey said:

3-4-3 wouldn't be too bad. Their wing backs are fantastic but their back three are dreadful, we can get at them just as easily as we can get at them. Even more so with France, I mean they were fortunate to get a point from Hungary for a start.

Portugal are probably the team we'd struggle against the most, Germany apart they're usually tough to break down and beat and they're all about feeding Ronaldo on the counter.

Hungary would probably be a grind it out until they break 1-0 win or something that will have everyone frothing again even though we'd be quarter finalists and no goals conceded ;)

Portugal are the team I'm most worried about. 

3 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Need to get Trippier back in, dead balls have been terrible these last couple of games. 

Goal from a FK or a corner, in a cagey knockout game that's where it will be won or lost.

yes I was thinking that earlier. Who do you drop though? Shaw?

Just now, ajw10 said:

yes I was thinking that earlier. Who do you drop though? Shaw?

Yeah I would.  Rather him than Walker.  Unless he reverts to the 5 at the back we used at the WC.  Walker on the right of the back three and Trippier and Shaw both in as well.

Just now, ajw10 said:

does he? He gets forward but doesn't actually do anything with the ball

He created quite a few overload situations down the left in the first half. His crossing wasn't great but it doesn't always have to be him playing the final ball, he can create space for others. Chilwell is the most composed of the two left footed LBs but doubt he's going to be playing.

19 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

You would drop Shaw purely to get more set piece threat in? Shaw adds so much to our attack.

Said this the other day.  We need someone in the team that can put a dead ball on a sixpence 19 times out of 20 not 10-15 times out of 20. 

Look at the very biggest games at major tournaments and where the goals have come from.

96 Germany SF - goal from a corner
98 Colombia decider - goal from a free kick
98 Argentina R16 - goal from a penalty, two goals we conceded from a penalty and a free kick
00 Portugal group game - goal from a free kick
00 Germany group game - goal from a free kick
02 Argentina group game - goal from a penalty
04 France group game - goal from a corner, two goals we conceded from a free kick and then a penalty
06 Ecuador R16 - goal from a free kick
12 France group - goal from a corner
10 Germany R16 - goal from a corner
18 Colombia R16 - goal from a penalty
18 Sweden QF - goal from a corner

Probably some others I've missed. 

EDIT: Missed goals from corners against Sweden and Denmark, WC02.  Also all the set piece goals we scored in 2018 against Tunisia and Panama.  Also 06 goals against Paraguay and Trinidad & Tobago were all from set pieces.  I mean when you break it down I doubt we've scored more than about 30% of tournament goals from open play in the last 25 years.

This is not really unique to England either, tournament games are almost always tight once you get to the business end.  One set piece can often decide it.

Edited by Rob1981

5 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

If he can defend in the final third, I wouldn't be adverse to this at all.

he can, I'm not sure he would be any good if we had to defend deep as he's poor in the air. If we played a back 3, then he's our best LWB

Just now, Rob1981 said:

Said this the other day.  We need someone in the team that can put a dead ball on a sixpence 19 times out of 20 not 10-15 times out of 20. 

Look at the biggest games at major tournaments and where the goals have come from.

96 Germany SF - goal from a corner
98 Colombia decider - goal from a free kick
98 Argentina R16 - goal from a penalty, two goals we conceded from a penalty and a free kick
00 Portugal group game - goal from a free kick
00 Germany group game - goal from a free kick
02 Argentina group game - goal from a penalty
04 France group game - goal from a corner, two goals we conceded from a free kick and then a penalty
06 Ecuador R16 - goal from a free kick
12 France group - goal from a corner
10 Germany R16 - goal from a corner
18 Colombia R16 - goal from a penalty
18 Sweden QF - goal from a corner

Probably some others I've missed.  This is not unique to England either, tournament games are almost always tight at the business end.  One good set piece often decides it.

France won the WC in 98 largely due to their dominance on set pieces

6 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

England had Beckham in the team for over 10 years and didn't come close to winning anything. I kind of feel like you need a bit more than a guy who put a good set piece in.

I mean Beckham probably scored or assisted 70% of the tournament goals we scored during that time.  Think how bad we'd have been without him :D

8 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Not to go all MLG, but I still feel like JWP could be sat as 1 of those middle 2 and we wouldn't be any worse off 

Says more about Rice* than JWP

*Missed tonight's game but Rice added very little in the first 2 games for me.

Edited by EnterUsernameHere