The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

35 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

That was his point, and Sterling has been great for England in recent years for Southgate 

Sterling wasn't anywhere near his best, and yet was still effective and Croatia hated having to deal with him. Outside of rotation there would be no reason for Southgate to not have faith in him again. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

How is thinking about how many defenders Aguero has on him not looking into them?

I’m pointing out why it’s absurdly hard to compare players at different clubs on these sorts of stats. Hence why I wouldn’t look twice at them to inform an international team selection.

Really don’t know why you are so desperate to pick a fight with everyone, especially when I’ve never once said that Grealish shouldn’t be playing.

5 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Didn’t even know you could still make changes for injuries. Is it a goalkeeper specific rule?

Yea it's a rule specifically for this tournament. You can replace the keeper if he's injured even after the first game.

5 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Didn’t even know you could still make changes for injuries. Is it a goalkeeper specific rule?

Yes.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/0269-126056345f3d-cbd4b7ed8458-1000--euro-rules-you-might-not-know/

To mitigate the risks of teams facing a shortage of available players due to possible positive COVID-19 tests and subsequent quarantine measures, it has been decided to exceptionally increase the squads for all participating teams to 26 players. However, 23 players will remain the maximum number permitted for each individual match.

Once squads have been submitted, there can be unlimited replacements before the first match in the event of serious injury or illness (including COVID-19 or 'close contact' to a positive case). Goalkeepers can be replaced during the tournament in the event of physical incapacity, even if one or two goalkeepers in the squad are still available. A player who has been replaced cannot be re-added to the squad.

1 hour ago, Smallen said:

Pickford rightly gets stick for his Everton form, but he has been mostly very good for England.

He was garbage for a bit, but hasn't he been pretty much fine for a while for Everton anyway? 

9 minutes ago, Pukey said:

He was garbage for a bit, but hasn't he been pretty much fine for a while for Everton anyway? 

I thought the same. I remember him having a shocking period of form but I think it was actually the season before last (although they do blend in a bit in my mind cos of the short break). Can't remember him doing a lot wrong for a while though.

24 minutes ago, Pukey said:

I think so.

I know for certain he turns into the world’s worst goalkeeper when he plays Newcastle because he gets so radge against us though :D. Ancelotti dropped him for one of our fixtures this season because he knew this.

15 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

I wonder why, he who shall not be named, is training on his own 

Load management I would presume,  as he's been on a tailored programme at Villa. Not taken part in all of our sessions for a while.

Either that or Southgate saw his volley from yesterday's session plastered all over social media and banished him from the group for hogging the limelight :D

Can't wait for Friday. Talks of rain too, so should give the game an extra spicy with some nice slide tackles :) 

Probably can see both full backs rested and maybe Foden too. Wouldn't rule out Henderson starting either, but they're the changes I can probably see happening if we were to make any. Match Scotlands tempo from word go, I fancy us to win 3-0 (minimum).

I think we will see a left back in and no other changes. 

I'm looking forward much more to the game with a win under our belt already. If we'd lost to Croatia I could see Friday being awful. Tense and turgid but now we should be more comfortable and with Scotland needing to go for it the possibility to kill them on the counter. 

Should be a much better game on Friday now that Scotland have lost.  They will need to come out and play a bit so hopefully nice and open.  If they'd won yesterday they would have probably shut up shop and tried to grind out a point... then people would be screaming for Southgate's head when we didn't win 5-0.

Going to see a few changes I reckon.  Shaw or Chilwell coming in, probably Grealish and/or Sancho getting on if not starting.  I think if Henderson is getting close to full fitness he will get some minutes in the second half as well, especially if we are a couple of goals up by then.  Gareth is generally pretty good at managing everyone's playing time and keeping people sharp.  He will alreay be looking ahead to the R16 or even a potential quarter final... bound to get a suspension or someone picking up a niggle if we get that far... he will want to make sure whatever options we can bring in at that point haven't been sat on the sidelines since the last friendly three weeks before.

35 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

I think we will see a left back in and no other changes. 

I'm looking forward much more to the game with a win under our belt already. If we'd lost to Croatia I could see Friday being awful. Tense and turgid but now we should be more comfortable and with Scotland needing to go for it the possibility to kill them on the counter. 

Maybe 2-3 to freshen us up a bit but agree. My biggest worry is Kane though. Even before his busted ribs he was a passenger.

I'd be very suprised if we didnt use all the subs and relatively early though, keep the squad sharp. I think he will want to get this won, so he can rotate more heavily against the Czech ahead of what will like be a very tough 2nd tie

Assuming yellow cards are wiped after the group stage... so I think Foden will play against Scotland and then be dropped for the Czech game if he doesn't get another booking.

Play him against Scotland and he might be suspended for the Czechs... no problem.

If he is still one yellow card after Friday you wouldn't play him against the Czechs if we are already through and then risk him being out for the R16.

1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

I think we will win but I really can't see it being a thrashing. Unless we blow them away with some early goals and things get out of hand. Scotland have zero pressure and massive motivation. That's a dangerous combo whoever you are. 

I think its going to be maybe a little comfortable on the scoreline , ie 2-0. But much more hard fought than the scoreline suggests

19 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Maybe 2-3 to freshen us up a bit but agree. My biggest worry is Kane though. Even before his busted ribs he was a passenger.

I'd be very suprised if we didnt use all the subs and relatively early though, keep the squad sharp. I think he will want to get this won, so he can rotate more heavily against the Czech ahead of what will like be a very tough 2nd tie

This is defo a game for Grealish against a low back 5 you'd think. I think he will stick with Foden and Sterling but Grealish defo getting a run out IMO

28 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Should be a much better game on Friday now that Scotland have lost.  They will need to come out and play a bit so hopefully nice and open.  If they'd won yesterday they would have probably shut up shop and tried to grind out a point... then people would be screaming for Southgate's head when we didn't win 5-0.

Probably still expect that in truth, as a 0-0 draw for Scotland is huge for them and leaves it in their own hands final game to go through (as 4 points in 3rd should be enough). Even a low 1-0 defeat gives them a chance. Basically they don't need to fully go for it, but hopefully they're naive and do it anyway :)